PDA

View Full Version : The mobile phone

stevewool
22nd June 2015, 08:15
Yes what a great invention but is it the most important thing on you, it looks that way these days everywhere you look everyone has one, no matter how old you are some one has one attached to there ear sometime of the day,
What gets my back up is the ones who are on there phone or texting while walking straight at you without looking, expecting you to move well they do have a surprize sometimes when i cant or wont move,
Yes i have a phone but its a phone to make contact if i want to,
I often wonder how the hell did we managed to live without it those few years ago,

Michael Parnham
22nd June 2015, 10:58
Well I wouldn't miss mine, never take it hardly anywhere it's mostly at home!

Arthur Little
22nd June 2015, 11:33
Well I wouldn't miss mine, never take it hardly anywhere it's mostly at home!

Me neither, Michael. :nono-1-1: ... mobile phones are grand devices for emergencies admittedly. But when they're used for just about any other purpose - particulary for that :cwm24: awful, moronic textspeak - then, :NoNo:!

les_taxi
22nd June 2015, 12:02
I will agree. The number of people who cross the road in front of me while texting! I have got within 6 inches of then and they never even knew. Do enjoy a quick blast of horn to wake them up though. It's as if mobile phones take over their user. Maybe it's a conspiracy! !!

grahamw48
22nd June 2015, 14:35
Whoever invented texting put a curse upon the human race I'm afraid. :NoNo:

Terpe
22nd June 2015, 15:46
I've given my phones away now.
My wife has iPhone on Globe network and my Cherry Mobile on Smart network.

I have no phone at all. Don't need one and don't want one and don't miss it.
I'm still creating my own world :wink:

grahamw48
22nd June 2015, 16:48
Good man. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We managed without for long enough. :anerikke:

grahamw48
22nd June 2015, 16:51
:NoNo:...

Arthur Little
22nd June 2015, 17:01
:iagree: with Les ... :anerikke: ... it's really a wonder that there aren't a hell of a lot more accidents, given the number of people seemingly totally immersed in the contents of their mobile phones :icon_rolleyes: - oblivious to traffic - while crossing busy streets.

grahamw48
22nd June 2015, 17:11
It probably seemed liberating at first, and a great communication aid, but I really believe it is now imprisoning people in many respects.

gm47
23rd June 2015, 07:19
sorry I couldn't agree less.....except for the walking/texting thing.

My life is on my phone, it reminds me every day of things I have to do, with my memory I would never remember to do them.
I get instant pics/videos of my son from the Phils on it, I do my gambling when I'm out and about on it, when in the Phils I can watch sky sports on it. + many other things that I enjoy doing on it, also calls /texts of course.

I love technology :)

we are all different in life. Some people don't like change in life, some don't like to be available 24/7...that's ok

grahamw48
23rd June 2015, 09:13
I do most of those things too, on my smartphone and tablet, and have used them as a work tools for many years.

However, there are many many people who seem to spend an inordinate amount of time doing less productive and ACTIVE things, because they have their obese faces stuck to a mobile phone. :NoNo:

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2015, 10:44
sorry I couldn't agree less.....except for the walking/texting thing.

My life is on my phone, it reminds me every day of things I have to do, with my memory I would never remember to do them.
I get instant pics/videos of my son from the Phils on it, I do my gambling when I'm out and about on it, when in the Phils I can watch sky sports on it. + many other things that I enjoy doing on it, also calls /texts of course.

I love technology :)

we are all different in life. Some people don't like change in life, some don't like to be available 24/7...that's ok

Very fair comment, even though I don't enjoy technology, I like a simple life! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
23rd June 2015, 10:46
I'm not a massive voice/text user but find the phone indispensable for :

Calendar
Email
Camera
SatNav
General Browsing
Betting
the odd vid, youtube catch up tv etc
alarms

Can't stand these dicks with them glued to their ears though

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2015, 10:46
It probably seemed liberating at first, and a great communication aid, but I really believe it is now imprisoning people in many respects.

You're right there Graham, should see the bars that surround Maritess :wink:

Trefor
23rd June 2015, 11:26
My phone has replaced my watch. I never wear a watch now (and definitely have no need for a phone/watch). I work in technology but control it - I only 'on' when I want to be and don't feel compelled to be on 24x7 unless I choose to. I can switch off very easily.

One thing I use the phone for regularly is traffic info when I'm going somewhere, even at the weekend. Or to find a certain type of restaurant or shop we decide to visit on a whim.

Use technology to improve your life, in a way you find comfortable.

Michael Parnham
23rd June 2015, 17:42
My phone has replaced my watch. I never wear a watch now (and definitely have no need for a phone/watch). I work in technology but control it - I only 'on' when I want to be and don't feel compelled to be on 24x7 unless I choose to. I can switch off very easily.

One thing I use the phone for regularly is traffic info when I'm going somewhere, even at the weekend. Or to find a certain type of restaurant or shop we decide to visit on a whim.

Use technology to improve your life, in a way you find comfortable.

The problem I have is learning how to work these hi tech phones, my wife has an Apple s5 and I can't even switch the screen on so that I can see it:Erm:

les_taxi
23rd June 2015, 18:11
The technology is great but people have become slaves to their phones :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
23rd June 2015, 22:37
:iagree: with Les ... :anerikke: ... it's really a wonder that there aren't a hell of a lot more accidents, given the number of people seemingly totally immersed in the contents of their mobile phones :icon_rolleyes: - oblivious to traffic - while crossing busy streets.The other week I saw some clown on a bike cycling the wrong way down a one way street weaving all over the place, texting on her phone. :doh

Ako Si Jamie
23rd June 2015, 22:43
When my contract runs out in a years time I won't be getting one of the latest phones again. Apart from texting and calls I only really use it now for listening to music, a second alarm and something to keep me occupied if I'm waiting around like in the doctors surgery for example.

les_taxi
23rd June 2015, 22:45
When my contract runs out in a years time I won't be getting one of the latest phones again. Apart from texting and calls I only really use it now for listening to music, a second alarm and something to keep me occupied if I'm waiting around like in the doctors surgery for example.

Yes I was going to get the latest one, but listened to Ded and got sim only for £15 a month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
23rd June 2015, 22:47
That's why I've just kept my Nokia 610.

Mostly I use my tablet...and can actually see what I'm looking at too.

grahamw48
23rd June 2015, 23:10
This used to make me laugh though...:biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=84&v=MzezHJUyqAw

Arthur Little
23rd June 2015, 23:14
The other week I saw some clown on a bike cycling the wrong way down a one way street weaving all over the place, texting on her phone. :doh

:cwm24: ... typical!

Ako Si Jamie
23rd June 2015, 23:17
Yes I was going to get the latest one, but listened to Ded and got sim only for £15 a month :xxgrinning--00xx3:I only pay £20 p/m but I hardly use up all my minutes and internet usage so I'm losing out.

Ako Si Jamie
23rd June 2015, 23:19
That's why I've just kept my Nokia 610.

Mostly I use my tablet...and can actually see what I'm looking at too.Some internet sites are just terrible to look at on a mobile, such as this forum not so long ago. :wink:

grahamw48
23rd June 2015, 23:34
Facebook is hopeless...and slooooow on my phone. :Brick:

I use the full version of this site, on phone and tablet. Just prefer it that way.

Ako Si Jamie
23rd June 2015, 23:45
Facebook is hopeless...and slooooow on my phone. :Brick:

I use the full version of this site, on phone and tablet. Just prefer it that way.I used to use the mobile site before it changed names to F/Roses. It was better then than now.

Arthur Little
24th June 2015, 01:36
I only pay £20 p/m but I hardly use up all my minutes and internet usage so I'm losing out.

Snap! Except, I'm on 'pay as you go' through 'T' Mobile and, because I seldom use mine, whenever I add load to it - irrespective of whether it's £5 or £25 :cwm25: - the amount surreptitiously dwindles away to mere pence ... no doubt finishing up in the service provider's coffers, within a comparatively short space of time. :cwm23:

Daylight :censored: robbery!

Arthur Little
24th June 2015, 01:57

Dammit :olddude: ... there ought to be some kind of a law against that sort of thing! :mad:

stevewool
24th June 2015, 07:03
£7 a month for me, 1000 minutes , unlimited text and 1 gig of internet, that all does me well, tight git springs to mind :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
24th June 2015, 07:23
Snap! Except, I'm on 'pay as you go' through 'T' Mobile and, because I seldom use mine, whenever I add load to it - irrespective of whether it's £5 or £25 :cwm25: - the amount surreptitiously dwindles away to mere pence ... no doubt finishing up in the service provider's coffers, within a comparatively short space of time. :cwm23:

What do you mean Arthur dwindles away? When I put a load in my phone, if I don't use it the money remains in the phone until I've used it, £10 top up lasts months, also I don't understand what others mean by contract, I've never come across a contract, what's a contract do? A phone is a phone, A camera is a camera and a computer is a computer! :xxgrinning--00xx3: