PDA

View Full Version : St Matthew's Church - A Perth Landmark <--- ^ ---> since 1871

Arthur Little
4th June 2015, 15:23
:smile: Whilst fully cognizant of the fact that comparatively few of our British members are regular churchgoers ... I felt that - by way of 'a little' departure from the usual round of topics discussed on a daily basis - it might be rather nice to share some photos depicting a small selection of the many & varied activities in which our splendid and beautifully~appointed church building (with its 212ft spire) set on the banks of Scotland's longest waterway (the River Tay) is involved:

http://www.stmatts.org.uk/Pictures.html

Arthur Little
6th June 2015, 19:05
Forget the religious connotations and take a few moments to browse through the slideshow to see what else is on offer within the walls of this historic edifice that - year upon year -attracts literally thousands of overseas visitors through its doors.

Who knows ... :anerikke: ... you might even be pleasantly surprised! :wink:

Arthur Little
7th June 2015, 20:59
Forget the religious connotations and take a few moments to browse through the slideshow to see what else is on offer within the walls of this historic edifice that - year upon year -attracts literally thousands of overseas visitors through its doors.

Who knows ... :anerikke: ... you might even be pleasantly surprised! :wink:

Alas ... this thread hasn't attracted one single response :bigcry: - other than the couple I've added myself - in the vain hope of keeping it in the 'public eye'.

Oh well :icon_rolleyes: ... to quote an old non-church~going pal of mine (who is now sadly deceased) :olddude: ... "some you win - some you lose!"

Rosie1958
7th June 2015, 22:36
Arthur, what a lovely church you have on your doorstep! I have to admit to only going to a church service a few times a year but my interest in genealogy (family tree) has taken me to numerous beautiful churches this year. Thanks for sharing :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
8th June 2015, 06:46
What lovely photo's Arthur, you make me feel guilty as I haven't been to church in the UK since the early sixties!

Arthur Little
9th June 2015, 19:14
Arthur, what a lovely church you have on your doorstep! I have to admit to only going to a church service a few times a year but my interest in genealogy (family tree) has taken me to numerous beautiful churches this year. Thanks for sharing :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you so much, Rosie ... for your appreciative - and very welcome - comments. Clearly, you are a lady of discerningly exquisite tastes ... who's quick to spot something of intransient beauty when she sees it! :thankyou:

Nice too, to learn of your interest in genealogy. It is, truly, a most
fascinating pursuit, and one which I, myself, have been following for [almost] as long as I can remember. Indeed .... over the past few years, a nephew of mine and I have even managed to uncover a number of records dating back to [B]1789 on my dad's side
of the family.

Doc Alan
9th June 2015, 19:46
Great photos Arthur, and thanks for posting :xxgrinning--00xx3: I visited Perth a few times when I was working in Scotland - happy memories :smile:.

Arthur Little
9th June 2015, 22:52
What lovely photo's Arthur, you make me feel guilty as I haven't been to church in the UK since the early sixties!

Thanks too, Michael. Like Rosie ... you're very obviously someone who recognises quality (the photos of the church setting) when he sees it.

:please: ... don't feel guilty in the least about not attending church :nono-1-1: as, from what I've witnessed over the years, one's Christian beliefs - or lack thereof - are certainly no basis on which to judge ANY person's true character nor his or her moral standing in the community.

Arthur Little
9th June 2015, 23:19
Great photos Arthur, and thanks for posting :xxgrinning--00xx3: I visited Perth a few times when I was working in Scotland - happy memories :smile:.

Pleasure's mine, Alan ... :68711_thanx: Glad also, to read you've abiding happy memories of your visits to the aptly~named 'Fair City'. :xxgrinning--00xx3: