PDA

View Full Version : Driving In The Philippines - Do Not Forget Your IDP

KeithD
22nd May 2015, 15:08
If you hold a UK driving license and wish to drive in the Philippines, then it is the law that you hold a International Driving Permit, along with a valid driving license. This applies to driving in most countries abroad.

These IDP's are valid for one year, and you can have them pre-dated. They cost just £5.50 at post offices that deal with them which to be honest, is not really that many. You also need a recent passport picture, so that's another fiver.

For those who are lazy like me, you can use the AA site, and do it by post. They only want photocopies of the original required documents, and the charge is just the £5.50 + £3 admin, so not bad.

Apply well in advance of leaving on your holiday or fiancée meeting.

Michael Parnham
22nd May 2015, 15:39
If you hold a UK driving license and wish to drive in the Philippines, then it is the law that you hold a International Driving Permit, along with a valid driving license. This applies to driving in most countries abroad.

These IDP's are valid for one year, and you can have them pre-dated. They cost just £5.50 at post offices that deal with them which to be honest, is not really that many. You also need a recent passport picture, so that's another fiver.

For those who are lazy like me, you can use the AA site, and do it by post. They only want photocopies of the original required documents, and the charge is just the £5.50 + £3 admin, so not bad.

Apply well in advance of leaving on your holiday or fiancée meeting.

Gosh, I just used my normal driving licence for almost two years! :anerikke:

SimonH
22nd May 2015, 16:46
Gosh, I just used my normal driving licence for almost two years!:anerikke:

Same here when I hired a car last December

stevewool
22nd May 2015, 17:30
I used a chauffeur or just cadge a lift :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
22nd May 2015, 23:19
Depends where you are in the Philippines. The law says you can use your UK licence for 90 days, but every mayor has their own interpretation so you never know.

tiger31
23rd May 2015, 04:37
Never been stopped yet but I,ll just tell tell them I,ve just landed lol

KeithD
23rd May 2015, 08:32
Depends where you are in the Philippines. The law says you can use your UK licence for 90 days, but every mayor has their own interpretation so you never know.

It's international law, not dependent on some local major who thinks he runs the world. :smile:

Never been stopped yet but I,ll just tell tell them I,ve just landed lol

Why risk being caught for the sake of £8.50? :Erm: If you are in an accident when driving it would invalidate the insurance, both vehicle and travel.

SimonH
23rd May 2015, 09:01
I was under the impression that you were allowed to drive in the Philippines for up to 3 months with your normal driving licence :Erm:

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/driving-in-the-philippines.html

KeithD
23rd May 2015, 09:38
I was under the impression that you were allowed to drive in the Philippines for up to 3 months with your normal driving licence :Erm:

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/driving-in-the-philippines.html

The AA recommends it is always best to have one, and just for the sake of a few quid, I wouldn't go without. I always say it is best to put things in place prior to going to a foreign country, as it means less that can go wrong. I know that you can't legally hire a care in the Phil without one.

SimonH
23rd May 2015, 09:42
The AA recommends it is always best to have one, and just for the sake of a few quid, I wouldn't go without. I always say it is best to put things in place prior to going to a foreign country, as it means less that can go wrong. I know that you can't legally hire a care in the Phil without one.

Didn't have any problems with Avis when I hired a car for a month :Erm:

KeithD
23rd May 2015, 09:50
Didn't have any problems with Avis when I hired a car for a month :Erm:
The insurance cover would not have been valid though. If you had to claim the insurance company would deny it if you don't have an IDP. IF you are responsible for an accident, then being a foreigner unable to pay would get you in jail. At least you would save £8.50 though :Hellooo:

SimonH
23rd May 2015, 10:01
The insurance cover would not have been valid though. If you had to claim the insurance company would deny it if you don't have an IDP. IF you are responsible for an accident, then being a foreigner unable to pay would get you in jail. At least you would save £8.50 though :Hellooo:

Really :Erm:

I hire a car, they give me the keys, I sign all their paperwork, I keep copies including the CDW premium I've paid, and you're trying to tell me I'm not insured :Erm:

I'd love to see a link to that Keith, similar to the one from the Philippines consulate that I posted saying that I didn't need an IDP :biggrin:

SimonH
23rd May 2015, 10:05
Come to think of it, why wasn't I arrested when I was stopped and produced my British driving licence, and no I didn't offer or give a bribe :wink:

KeithD
23rd May 2015, 10:22
It is your responsibility to carry the correct documentation. You can drive a car for 90 days, but not a hire car. Even then you need to check the insurance cover to verify you are covered. Without an IDP for a car hire, the UK driving license will not be valid, and therefore no insurance cover.

Philippines is A & I - http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html#notes

It is westerners who thought that they know better now sitting in Asian jails :wink:

SimonH
23rd May 2015, 10:28
We'll have to agree to differ :smile:

The second largest car hire company in the world were perfectly happy to rent me a car for a month.

The Philippine consulate says I can drive a car in the Philippines on my British driving license.

The AA says I need an IDP (the same company that I can buy one from) :wink:

KeithD
23rd May 2015, 10:42
IDP is a legal requirement in the Philippines. It is the Philippines which pass on the required driving details to the UK government, who then gives it to the Post Office, AA, etc.

The car hire company are not responsible for you having incorrect paperwork, YOU ARE. Your license could be a fake, they are not responsible if it is, the person with it is.

That I would think is VERY CLEAR INFORMATION.

Yes you can drive for 90 days in someone else's car as long as the insurance terms allow it. Yes you can probably hire a care without one. However, you are still responsible for having one. :doh

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/where-do-i-need-an-idp.aspx
https://www.car-hire-centre.co.uk/international-driving-permit.html
http://www.driverabroad.com/self-drive/international-driving-permit/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit
http://www.driveaway.com.au/international-driving-permit
http://www.worldlawdirect.com/article/909/international-drivers-license.html
http://www.europcar.com/EBE/module/render/International-driving-permits

SimonH
23rd May 2015, 10:48
Not quite what your original post says then Keith :wink:

If you hold a UK driving license and wish to drive in the Philippines, then it is the law that you hold a International Driving Permit, along with a valid driving license.

KeithD
23rd May 2015, 11:05
Not quite what your original post says then Keith :wink:

:Erm: Yes it is.

International Law states you need one. Stop digging a hole when you are so obviously wrong. If you want to risk a problem, that is your choice. This forum is here to help people to avoid as many issues as possible.

jonnijon
23rd May 2015, 15:01
It's international law, not dependent on some local major who thinks he runs the world.
But this is the Philippines its more fun here:icon_lol::icon_lol:

fred
23rd May 2015, 15:36
My IDL looks very similar to a 50 Peso note.

Terpe
24th May 2015, 07:48
Sorry for the off-topic, but I can't resist it. I have to say that the driving standards, road sense, awareness and manners here in the Philippines are the most appalling I've experienced anywhere in the known world.
Shocking. :censored:

No wonder there are so many oversized SUV's with blacked out windows.

How on earth these people ever qualified for a licence is beyond belief.

Rant over :biggrin:

jake
24th May 2015, 08:24
I used to hold a British driving license, however renewing it as a non UK resident is against the law :anerikke:
So, when i hire a car in the UK or any other country i have to use my Philippine license. Usually ends up with me having to send them a copy of the DVLA rules.
Seems daft that the country where i sat my test and still hold citizenship, will no longer issue me a license unless i am resident.

Read this the other day about the new rules regarding driving licenses in the UK. Looks like it will be fun if you plan to hire a car this summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/25/dvla-driving-licence-paperless-car-hire

Michael Parnham
24th May 2015, 08:32
Sorry for the off-topic, but I can't resist it. I have to say that the driving standards, road sense, awareness and manners here in the Philippines are the most appalling I've experienced anywhere in the known world.

They don't qualify Peter!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
24th May 2015, 08:40

Obviously this only happens outside the Davao city limits? :biggrin:

Trefor
24th May 2015, 09:04
I'm with SimonH on this. I rent and drive cars all over the world. The UK licence is an International Driving Permit. The AA is the last institution I'd trust.

I've had a few 'situations' around the world where the local Police would have said if there was an issue (hiding from a Police chase in a cornfield after smoking past their speed trap in Hawaii my most memorable, closely followed by TVRing at 90mph past a Gendarme who was trying to stop me).

P.S. I promise I'm actually a safe driver.

Trefor
24th May 2015, 09:04

They didn't qualify ...

Trefor
24th May 2015, 09:06
I used to hold a British driving license, however renewing it as a non UK resident is against the law :anerikke:
So, when i hire a car in the UK or any other country i have to use my Philippine license. Usually ends up with me having to send them a copy of the DVLA rules.
Seems daft that the country where i sat my test and still hold citizenship, will no longer issue me a license unless i am resident.

Read this the other day about the new rules regarding driving licenses in the UK. Looks like it will be fun if you plan to hire a car this summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/25/dvla-driving-licence-paperless-car-hire

Rubbish alarmism. We rented in Spain at Christmas, not needed. I have never ever needed my paper counterpart outside the UK. It has sat in my laptop bag 'just in case' and never sees the light of day.

KeithD
24th May 2015, 09:42
The UK licence is an International Driving Permit. The AA is the last institution I'd trust.

Not under International Law it isn't. That has been made very clear.

Why do people seem to think they know better than the law when it comes to travelling abroad? Many other who thought the same way have spent time in foreign jails, all for the sake of about a fiver! :Erm:

As for the AA, that has nothing to do with the IDP, other than they are just one of thousands of outlets around the world they can be bought.

Trefor
24th May 2015, 09:54
Not under International Law it isn't. That has been made very clear.

Why do people seem to think they know better than the law when it comes to travelling abroad? Many other who thought the same way have spent time in foreign jails, all for the sake of about a fiver! :Erm:

As for the AA, that has nothing to do with the IDP, other than they are just one of thousands of outlets around the world they can be bought.

I see your point about the actual law, but the UK licence is accepted as is. Do you know of anyone who has ever had an issue?

KeithD
24th May 2015, 10:15
I see your point about the actual law, but the UK licence is accepted as is. Do you know of anyone who has ever had an issue?

:Erm: I have never known anyone I know to commit murder, but that is also against the law, so your point is meaningless.

SimonH
24th May 2015, 11:29
I suggest you send a copy of this thread to Avis, they're obviously not aware of the law in the country they hire cars out in :Erm:

http://www.avis.com.ph/system.php?LS=staticpages&id=1220852615304&pid=1223645050467

The relevant bit being DRIVER'S LICENSE
Renter must possess a valid driver’s license which must have been held for at least two (2) years. A foreign driver’s license is valid for a maximum of 90 days from the date of arrival in the Philippines. An international driving permit (IDP) will be required of a renter holding a non - English license."

KeithD
24th May 2015, 12:11
I suggest you send a copy of this thread to Avis, they're obviously not aware of the law in the country they hire cars out in :Erm:

http://www.avis.com.ph/system.php?LS=staticpages&id=1220852615304&pid=1223645050467

The relevant bit being DRIVER'S LICENSE
Renter must possess a valid driver’s license which must have been held for at least two (2) years. A foreign driver’s license is valid for a maximum of 90 days from the date of arrival in the Philippines. An international driving permit (IDP) will be required of a renter holding a non - English license."

That is the T&C with Avis. Nothing wrong with that. Your point is meaningless though, as the onus is on the driver, not the company, to abide by the law, as I have said previously :doh. Please pay attention. :NoNo: It is this simple, you either decide to break the law or you don't. Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc, have T&C, are often found to be in breach of country specific and international laws, so you have proved nothing.

Dabawenyo
25th May 2015, 11:10
A relative of my wife works for the LTO and having checked, holders of British - and other licences issued in English - do not require IDPs in order to drive here regardless of whether the vehicle is owned by a rental company or not. A British drivers licence may be used for up to 90 days commencing on date of entry to the country and if you wish to continue driving after that 'grace period' you need to obtain a Philippine licence from the LTO.

SimonH
25th May 2015, 11:50
A relative of my wife works for the LTO and having checked, holders of British - and other licences issued in English - do not require IDPs in order to drive here regardless of whether the vehicle is owned by a rental company or not. A British drivers licence may be used for up to 90 days commencing on date of entry to the country and if you wish to continue driving after that 'grace period' you need to obtain a Philippine licence from the LTO.

Thank you for clarifying that point :smile:

KeithD
25th May 2015, 12:06
It's still the law though :doh

SimonH
25th May 2015, 12:12
Give it up Keith :doh

Either post a link to Philippine Law saying that it is the law, or admit that you're wrong on this occasion.
Once again why would rental companies let people drive their cars illegally :NoNo:

Don't quote t&c's quote the law :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
25th May 2015, 12:13
I have already posted a link :doh Jeez. Please pay attention. :NoNo: If you cant keep up, maybe I should type s...l....o...w...e...r.....

SimonH
25th May 2015, 12:17
I have already posted a link :doh Jeez. Please pay attention. :NoNo: If you cant keep up, maybe I should type s...l....o...w...e...r.....

Me pay attention :laugher::laugher::laugher:

I asked for a link to the law in the Philippines, not a UK based breakdown service :crazy::crazy::crazy:

KeithD
25th May 2015, 12:21
:doh The 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic is enshrined in International law, for which the Philippines are a signatory. That is so simple to understand, even someone on the Jeremy Kyle show could understand. This was mentioned above, but you missed it.

Whether companies or government departments implement it is up to them, however, it is still LAW. :crazy: Not forgetting that companies are often found in breach of laws in individual countries when they use global T&C, and not forgetting how many times government departments in the UK alone have been found in breach of laws, both at home, in the EU, and internationally.

SimonH
25th May 2015, 12:26
Keith, at least you're good for a laugh, I'll give you that :biggrin:

The link I gave to the Philippine Consulate says you don't need an IDP, international hire companies say you don't need it, the Philippine LTO says you don't need it.
However Keith and the AA say they're all wrong :icon_lol::icon_lol:

KeithD
25th May 2015, 12:29
The UN not the AA :doh

Here you go since you do not seem to understand. International law stands over the law of a country when they are a signatory.

https://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewDetailsV.aspx?src=treaty&mtdsg_no=xi-b-1&chapter=11&Temp=mtdsg5&lang=en

raynaputi
25th May 2015, 12:33
Philippine government? They don't even follow their own rules! :icon_lol: No wonder my country is in shambles. :laugher: