PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Your Favourite Place In The Philippines?

KeithD
20th May 2015, 20:02
If you had to recommended just one place for a stranger to visit in the Philippines, where would you tell him/her to go?

Remember, "Go to hell and mind your own business" is not an answer! :wink:

irishman12
20th May 2015, 20:19
depends what he /she is interested in doing/seeing

KeithD
20th May 2015, 20:22
depends what he /she is interested in doing/seeing

Doesn't matter, it's a place you love :heartshape1:

Longweekend
20th May 2015, 20:30
P. Burgos Street, Makati...:biggrin:

Tawi2
20th May 2015, 20:40
Well,its got to be amazonia in on Del pilar :heartshape1: No,i spent a few months down on sulu and jolo,usually staying at sitangkai,visiting tongtong across to sabah etc,happy days happy times.

Jamesey
20th May 2015, 21:02
El Nido. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
20th May 2015, 21:45
All depends what he's looking for

Nightlife : Boracay/Angeles City/Manila
Beaches : Boracay/Puerto Galera
Remote Beaches : Pangasinan
Cities : Dumaguete/Tagaytay
Attraction : Taal Volcano
Provinces : Negros Oriental/Zambales/Pangasinan
Island : Siquijor
A Bit of Everything : Bohol

Tawi2
20th May 2015, 21:56
Missed camiguin,samal,and little talikud,and my fave city home sweet home Davao :wink:

grahamw48
20th May 2015, 23:11
Anywhere in the mountain jungle...playing at Bear Grylls. :biggrin:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/GrainBicol.jpg~original

grahamw48
20th May 2015, 23:18
Chilling out on a deserted Pangasinan beach ? :smile:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141124_112057_zps96b48aea.jpg~original

Jenky
21st May 2015, 09:05
On my travels with my wife several years ago the places I liked most were Bohol and Bantayan Island which was very much like Boracay before it got developed. But my wife comes from a small island called Calintaan that has a really nice beach. Check out the link below and google Subic beach Calintaan.

http://riderako.com/2014/03/24/subic-laki-beach-in-calintaan-island-matnog-sorsogon/

No roads or vehicles, no running water, no hotels, only very recently electricity. There is a nearby volcano called Mt Bulusan that I have seen cough covering a large area with ash, and also most of the Typhoons go straight over the island. The people living there live a hard life mostly buy and sell fruit and fish. And because it is at the very end of Luzon not many foreign or even Filipino tourists ever go there.The nearest tourist destinations are Legaspi for Mount Mayon and Donsol for the whale shark. Now more and more of these tourists are coming to Calintaan and spending a day / night there camping under the stars.
The four of us are flying out tonight for 2 weeks. First time ever with Air China (not expecting much but hey only cost £420 a ticket) Fly to Manila, fly to Legaspi, 2 hours on a service to Matnog and finally 30 minutes on a Banca to Calintaan Island. There is nothing at all there for me to do except chill out on the beach, drink beer and read some books. Fir two weeks I live on fresh fish and San Mig light. After a few days of this I go to Sorsogon for Jollibee with all of the relatives and their many many kids. They eat chicken, rice and spaghetti and I buy DIY stuff. This years project is to repaint the tin roof of the family house. In return for the Jollibee they do the painting!

Terpe
21st May 2015, 09:17
On my travels with my wife several years ago the places I liked most were Bohol and Bantayan Island which was very much like Boracay before it got developed. But my wife comes from a small island called Calintaan that has a really nice beach. Check out the link below and google Subic beach Calintaan.

http://riderako.com/2014/03/24/subic-laki-beach-in-calintaan-island-matnog-sorsogon/

No roads or vehicles, no running water, no hotels, only very recently electricity. There is a nearby volcano called Mt Bulusan that I have seen cough covering a large area with ash, and also most of the Typhoons go straight over the island. The people living there live a hard life mostly buy and sell fruit and fish. And because it is at the very end of Luzon not many foreign or even Filipino tourists ever go there.The nearest tourist destinations are Legaspi for Mount Mayon and Donsol for the whale shark. Now more and more of these tourists are coming to Calintaan and spending a day / night there camping under the stars.
The four of us are flying out tonight for 2 weeks. First time ever with Air China (not expecting much but hey only cost £420 a ticket) Fly to Manila, fly to Legaspi, 2 hours on a service to Matnog and finally 30 minutes on a Banca to Calintaan Island. There is nothing at all there for me to do except chill out on the beach, drink beer and read some books. Fir two weeks I live on fresh fish and San Mig light. After a few days of this I go to Sorsogon for Jollibee with all of the relatives and their many many kids. They eat chicken, rice and spaghetti and I buy DIY stuff. This years project is to repaint the tin roof of the family house. In return for the Jollibee they do the painting!

Sounds wonderful :Jump:

Bon voyage and enjoy to the max :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st May 2015, 09:27
Itbayat Island in Batanes

The most magical and spellbinding place I ever visited anywhere, with local people to match.

For anyone who has an idea to jump off the world and disappear into paradise.
Not everyone's cup of tea and I doubt I'll ever get the chance to return but given that chance I grab it with both hands.

Ako Si Jamie
21st May 2015, 23:04

The most magical and spellbinding place I ever visited anywhere, with local people to match.

Not everyone's cup of tea and I doubt I'll ever get the chance to return but given that chance I grab it with both hands.Get back up there Peter. It's only up the road from where you're at. :wink:

stevewool
22nd May 2015, 17:46
Have not found it yet i am sure, but Virgin island is a wow for a few hours, Tagatay too

Iani
22nd May 2015, 18:26
Madame Gandapwit's house of negotiable love, Quezon City

grahamw48
22nd May 2015, 19:34
Virgin Island ?

That would be a first for me. :Erm:

KeithD
22nd May 2015, 20:00
Virgin Island ?

That would be a first for me. :Erm:

Is that where all of the dead suicide bombers think they are going? Surely it would be better to just fly there without using a bomb of any kind. It is not that much of a life being a dead suicide bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEI5js4RCpc

grahamw48
22nd May 2015, 20:52
:icon_lol: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
21st December 2015, 10:30
I've just come back from two of the most beautiful places. Nacpan Beach in El Nido and Kalanggaman Island in Leyte. The latter is the best island I've been to in the Phils to date. Awesome! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd September 2016, 23:28

Not everyone's cup of tea and I doubt I'll ever get the chance to return but given that chance I grab it with both hands.

I may be going to Batanes next year if I can find a promo. Usual price for a return flight from Manila is not far shy of £200 which is just too expensive for a short flight.

yulie & jeff
10th February 2017, 21:31
My favorite place in the Philippines is Cebu City I feel very safe there and also the people in Cebu City is very religious. The beaches is very close to the City all the adventures is very close in Cebu City too. You can take a motorbike joyride to go to Busay road awesome view very nice fresh air. other than Cebu I don't feel safe in Manila, and Mindanao.

Tawi2
10th February 2017, 22:13
My favorite place in the Philippines is Cebu City I feel very safe there and also the people in Cebu City is very religious. The beaches is very close to the City all the adventures is very close in Cebu City too. You can take a motorbike joyride to go to Busay road awesome view very nice fresh air. other than Cebu I don't feel safe in Manila, and Mindanao.
I actually feel safer in mindanao than anywhere else in pinas,but i dont find cebu threatening even at night around junquera,it is what it is.

stevewool
11th February 2017, 11:03
We are hoping to travel to many many places once we get there and stay where we think is nice for ever how long we want too, then move on to the next, I am sure there is going to be places that we both would want to see and again places were we both would want to get out very quickly.
But we are hoping to do this in our own vehicle and in our own time.

Michael Parnham
11th February 2017, 11:30
Siquijor:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
11th February 2017, 18:19
Siquijor michael?You probably went there the same time i did,late 80's-early 90's and there was no paved road around it and no private cars?When brian and lucky had paradise beach at sandugan?

stevewool
11th February 2017, 19:56
Never been to Siquijor but i have l lots of friends in dumagetee, if thats how you spell it.

stevewool
11th February 2017, 19:57
Siquijor michael?You probably went there the same time i did,late 80's-early 90's and there was no paved road around it and no private cars?When brian and lucky had paradise beach at sandugan?

Its nice meeting up with folk on your holidays and its even better if you can still see them when you get back too.
I wonder how many folk has seen me on my hols but did not say anything

Tawi2
11th February 2017, 20:05
Its nice meeting up with folk on your holidays and its even better if you can still see them when you get back too.
I wonder how many folk has seen me on my hols but did not say anything
I normally size people up first,depends how they look,friendly persona then yes sure i will chat :smile:

stevewool
11th February 2017, 20:23
I normally size people up first,depends how they look,friendly persona then yes sure i will chat :smile:

Many times i have been sitting or walking and coming towards me is a English gent or white person " take your pick". and our eyes will meet and then a nod from me and then all of a sudden the bloke will look away. must be my big ears that he was looking at.

Michael Parnham
12th February 2017, 01:00
Never been to Siquijor but i have l lots of friends in dumagetee, if thats how you spell it.

I know most Brits and Americans in Dumaguete, they mostly hang around at 'Why Not':xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
12th February 2017, 01:03

Yes, I remember before the arterial road was built, but never did know Brian and Lucky:Erm:

jeff in phils
12th February 2017, 02:41
I loved it all.. I loved the craziness of Manila, and the seclusion of a small resort on Siquior Island. I loved going out to bars in Cebu and Manila, and I loved listening to the waves crash on to the shore in Samal. So many places I haven't been yet, so it's hard to say ;)

Tawi2
12th February 2017, 11:08
I know most Brits and Americans in Dumaguete, they mostly hang around at 'Why Not':xxgrinning--00xx3:
I always avoid the "Why-Not" michael its frequented by some odd characters :cwm25:

stevewool
12th February 2017, 11:44
I always avoid the "Why-Not" michael its frequented by some odd characters :cwm25:

I will ask a few friends about this place and if it was them that you did see there drinking away or just chatting.
Is it a drinking hole , i am not a drinker give me a cup of tea anytime and i would be happy as a pig in muck.
Brother in law tried to ply me with this drink once but i could not drink it at all, but the more he poured the more went down the sink until Emma told him Steve will not drink it.

stevewool
12th February 2017, 11:45

I will ask a few friends about this place and if it was them that you did see there drinking away or just chatting.
Is it a drinking hole , i am not a drinker give me a cup of tea anytime and i would be happy as a pig in muck.
Brother in law tried to ply me with this drink once but i could not drink it at all, but the more he poured the more went down the sink until Emma told him Steve will not drink it.

Tawi2
12th February 2017, 12:04
The "Why-not" always has a rep for the place where you go if you want to pick up prostitutes,in fact there used to be a tricycle parked outside with girls sitting waiting in it for customers,i only ever went in once and thougt Nope,not my sort of place,there used to be a disco out the back originally,i dont know if its still there?You get a lot of older ex-pats sitting there eyeing up young ladies walking past,its just not the sort of place i felt comfortable,some like it some dont,like yourself i am teetotal,a cup of tea person

Janedan0913
12th February 2017, 13:24

Hi. We are planning to go to Cebu this coming august. Can you suggest places there we can visit. We are with our children and we want them to enjoy too. Thanks.

fred
12th February 2017, 14:04
Hi. We are planning to go to Cebu this coming august. Can you suggest places there we can visit. We are with our children and we want them to enjoy too. Thanks.

A 2 day trip to Bohol or longer for starters!! (Sorry..I dislike Cebu and have no recommendations)

stevewool
12th February 2017, 14:15
A 2 day trip to Bohol or longer for starters!! (Sorry..I dislike Cebu and have no recommendations)

2 days is not long enough at all, now if it was me 2 months would be nice, and 2 years would be a dream, so much to see so much to do and nothing to do sometimes , thats my way of looking at Bohol,
Dream on Steve dream on

Michael Parnham
12th February 2017, 20:55

It's a restaurant, Café, bar, grocery shop(very nice one too) and Disco, never been to Bar Or Disco because I never go out at night And still don't:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
12th February 2017, 21:24
Yes michael,i checked the website earlier,its changed a lot,they have a deli and a cafe,they only had the disco and bar years ago,looks like its expanded,good idea not going in there at night.

stevewool
12th February 2017, 21:51
It's a restaurant, Café, bar, grocery shop(very nice one too) and Disco, never been to Bar Or Disco because I never go out at night And still don't:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Your not in Kansas anymore Michael it's safe to go out at night, use your car if you don't want to walk.

Michael Parnham
13th February 2017, 09:35
Your not in Kansas anymore Michael it's safe to go out at night, use your car if you don't want to walk.

Nothing to go out for apart from walking, when the light nights are here I will walk along the canal or work in the garden always find jobs to do even polish my wheelie bins and UPVC window frames or polish the car, always something to do:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
13th February 2017, 10:03
Always keep active michael,you know its good for you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
13th February 2017, 11:29
Always keep active michael,you know its good for you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Some people laugh when I tell them I'll be around another 20 years+ providing I don't get shot down with a terminal illness I'll be around longer then I'll see how many who laughed are not here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
13th February 2017, 11:54
Some people laugh when I tell them I'll be around another 20 years+ providing I don't get shot down with a terminal illness I'll be around longer then I'll see how many who laughed are not here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

When our time is up it's up, nothing you or I can do about it, look at some of the fittest people around who seemed to have died so young.
Do all you can when you can because tomorrow may never come.

Tawi2
13th February 2017, 11:58
tomorrow may never come.

:bigcry:

fred
13th February 2017, 13:09
My favourite place used to be Baguio.

Terpe
13th February 2017, 14:23
Well, I'm still actively looking but so far my personal favourite place in the Philippines, so far, remains Itbayat Island (Batanes)
It was a while ago for my first and only visit. I would like to go back but it's a really difficult place to get to.

On a personal level, I fell in love with the place and really would have liked to stay. I honestly can't imagine my wife liking it much though apart from a holiday adventure.

If you fancy disappearing from the radar to a beautiful hideaway then Itbayat Island has to be getting towards the top of the list.

Ako Si Jamie
27th May 2017, 18:40
I actually feel safer in mindanao than anywhere else in pinas,but i dont find cebu threatening even at night around junquera,it is what it is.

Even in Tawi-Tawi, Tawi? It doesn't seem to faze you going down that way. :wink:

Tawi2
27th May 2017, 19:18
I am probably the only member of this forum who has ever been to Tawi-Tawi. :biggrin: Didn't faze me then, did the back door trip with the badjao across to Sabah, stayed in Sitangkai for a while before doing the nocturnal crossing,came back to pinas with a load of i-i's...... happy days. :wink: