PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the UK

stevewool
9th May 2015, 08:41
After what seems like years and lots of cash too, you have finally arrived here in England to be with the one person you love,
You are either married or going to be married, maybe start a family too, get a job and life is good, but is it,
Has anything changed since you have come here, is life here with your partner what you thought it would be like or even better or worst,
Myself i know my life has changed for the better and Ems does tell me her life is good too,
We both work hard to have the nice things we are wanting and yes there are not so good days too, but i must admit 99% of those times are all my own fault,
Ems would like to spend and send nearly all her hard earned money on the handbags and shoes and over to the family too, thats where i have to say hold on, but we talk through it and so far all is well,
So what are your thoughts about being with your love one, or not so loved one

Longweekend
9th May 2015, 08:49
Steve, my problem seems to be after 20 years of marriage, its where to put all those shoes and handbags.... :cwm25:

stevewool
9th May 2015, 08:52
Steve, my problem seems to be after 20 years of marriage, its where to put all those shoes and handbags.... :cwm25:

20 years, i am struggling after 4 and a bit :biggrin:

raynaputi
9th May 2015, 10:10
What changed for me? I don't have money now that I'm in the UK..:icon_lol: I can't do all the things I used to do regularly while I was still in Manila, i.e. coffee breaks at Starbucks everyday, going to spa & dermatologist (every month) & salon (every 3 months), shopping for branded clothes, watching movies at the cinemas every 2 weeks, and so much more. WHY??? Everything here is flipping expensive especially for someone who doesn't have enough money. :icon_lol: I miss my job in the Philippines to be honest. :bigcry: I used to complain with all the work I used to do there but at the end of the day (well morning because I worked night shifts) I loved it there. Now, I can't find the same work where we live and we can't move anywhere because of money issues! :doh

But I'm here because I love my husband! :heartshape1:

andy222
9th May 2015, 12:35
Well said Rayna. My wife says the same. We are just waiting for my retirement so we can get to the Philippines to live. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th May 2015, 12:41
Well said Rayna. My wife says the same. We are just waiting for my retirement so we can get to the Philippines to live. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

How long have you to go before you can retire Andy?

andy222
9th May 2015, 12:50
8 years Steve. Cant wait mate. My wife already has land there in her name. :wink:. What we will do is have a house built on it in a few years time. :wink:

Longweekend
9th May 2015, 15:40
I have 6 years until retirement but we are going to live in France, with 3 x kids still here the PI is just too far away...

stevewool
9th May 2015, 16:30
France was a dream for me a long time ago, still love the place, rural France was the place we was going to buy and i still look at places for sale over there, you never know whats around the corner :smile:

Longweekend
9th May 2015, 17:48
Property is good value over there and the place is so laid back....

grahamw48
9th May 2015, 18:20
My brother has owned a house in a French ski resort for many years...lucky so and so. :smile:

andy222
9th May 2015, 18:25
Horses for courses I suppose. Personally no way I would live in France but thats me. Give me the Phils anytime. :xxgrinning--00xx3:. Just look at Imagine and Terpe. It seems as though they are enjoying it there. They made their minds up and just went.

stevewool
9th May 2015, 19:12
I made my mind up but its Ems lets wait another year or so, i do know i will not be in this country when i hit 60, but being only 56 i still have a good few years of saving and making my mind up too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
9th May 2015, 22:49
Good topic Steve,

Yes same here Jamie keeps what she earns to do as she pleases, ie: sending money home which is the norm and also keeping back some to treat herself and our little boy to the niceties in life also the odd treat for me.....:biggrin:

She is actually buying a property over there with a mortgage payment of £160 per month so her parents can live rent free but in the name of our son so an inheritance for the future.

What I have found is basically we live well able to pay bills, mortgage free home and have a good life style so we are both content and happy as it works well for us.

One day I would love to sell up and head for sunnier climes with Spain being No: 1 choice.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mjwoz
9th May 2015, 23:26
The
What changed for me? I don't have money now that I'm in the UK..:icon_lol: I can't do all the things I used to do regularly while I was still in Manila, i.e. coffee breaks at Starbucks everyday, going to spa & dermatologist (every month) & salon (every 3 months), shopping for branded clothes,
watching movies at the cinemas every 2 weeks, and so much more. WHY??? Everything here is flipping expensive especially for someone who doesn't have enough money. :icon_lol: I miss my job in the Philippines to be honest. :bigcry: I used to complain with all the work I used to do there but at the end of the day (well morning because I worked night shifts) I loved it there. Now, I can't find the same work where we live and we can't move anywhere because of money issues! :doh

Same here, i really miss a lot especially my job in manila.

Terpe
10th May 2015, 01:49
What changed for me? I don't have money now that I'm in the UK..:icon_lol: I can't do all the things I used to do regularly while I was still in Manila, i.e. coffee breaks at Starbucks everyday, going to spa & dermatologist (every month) & salon (every 3 months), shopping for branded clothes, watching movies at the cinemas every 2 weeks, and so much more. WHY??? Everything here is flipping expensive especially for someone who doesn't have enough money. :icon_lol: I miss my job in the Philippines to be honest. :bigcry: I used to complain with all the work I used to do there but at the end of the day (well morning because I worked night shifts) I loved it there. Now, I can't find the same work where we live and we can't move anywhere because of money issues! :doh

In many ways Rayna, the points you made are a welcome benefit to our retirement life here.
We find we can do all those things and much more besides simply due to the low cost here and the much easier availability.

Sadly I lost such a large chunk of my pensions pots in divorce and then the financial crash, which happens to increase exponentially as retirement time comes racing towards us.

Life is very good here for us.
But as I've said here before, it certainly wouldn't suit everyone.

There's a lot of things could wear you down if all you know is UK life and you expect life to continue the same but just change location :wink:

stevewool
10th May 2015, 10:01
What has struck me so far is what life for a few was like back in the Philippines, a nice place to be if you had work

Michael Parnham
10th May 2015, 12:41
Good topic Steve,

Yes same here Jamie keeps what she earns to do as she pleases, ie: sending money home which is the norm and also keeping back some to treat herself and our little boy to the niceties in life also the odd treat for me.....:biggrin:

She is actually buying a property over there with a mortgage payment of £160 per month so her parents can live rent free but in the name of our son so an inheritance for the future.

What I have found is basically we live well able to pay bills, mortgage free home and have a good life style so we are both content and happy as it works well for us.

One day I would love to sell up and head for sunnier climes with Spain being No: 1 choice.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I was in your position once Mark! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th May 2015, 14:04
What as struck me so far is what life for a few was like back in the Philippines, a nice place to be if you had work

If you have no job, no accommodation and no prospects then you can survive in the UK
In the Philippines ..... You'll likely not
Just my thinking

raynaputi
10th May 2015, 14:08
If you have no job, no accommodation and no prospects then you can survive in the UK
In the Philippines ..... You'll likely not
Just my thinking

This is so true! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
10th May 2015, 14:25
I initially planned to retire in Monte Carlo but it'll be more likely a retirement based both in the UK and the Philippines/Hong Kong/Singapore.

Arthur Little
10th May 2015, 16:44
:icon_sorry: ... no offence to those intending to retire to the Philippines - or have already "taken the plunge" - :nono-1-1: ... but I'm content to spend my twilight years where I am now! :wink:

grahamw48
10th May 2015, 18:14
Tooo cooold here ! :freezin:

stevewool
10th May 2015, 19:07
No offence at all Arthur, home is where the heart is, or is it were or wear or ware :biggrin:

Arthur Little
11th May 2015, 12:44
No offence at all Arthur, home is *where the heart is, or is it were or wear or ware??? :biggrin:

:yeahthat:'s good, Steve ... and, if I may be so bold as to add, :cwm25: you were right the *first time. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
11th May 2015, 13:24
:icon_sorry: ... no offence to those intending to retire to the Philippines - or have already "taken the plunge" - :nono-1-1: ... but I'm content to spend my twilight years where I am now! :wink:

Same here Arthur! :xxgrinning--00xx3: