PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the Philippines

stevewool
26th April 2015, 14:31
There are many answers to the question but which is right,
How long do you have to be out of this country before you lose your rights to the NHS, does it make a difference if you are a british citizen, plus what other rights do you lose also,

grahamw48
26th April 2015, 21:04
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074386

I always thought it was 3 months (of course a lot of people just wouldn't put an honest answer on the NHS form).

stevewool
26th April 2015, 21:24
Thanks Graham, some one mentioned that and i did not believe them

Terpe
27th April 2015, 07:05
Steve, In general I don't think a British Citizen ever loses the right to receive NHS treatment.

If you reside in another country (Philippines for example) and return to the UK for NHS treatment after being away for more than 3 months, then you'll need to prove your intention to remain in UK thereafter in order for that treatment to be free.

These rules change quite often so I stand to be corrected if anyone has the latest links.
There was plenty of talk and discussion about changing this in favour of retirees residing abroad to continue free NHS treatments based on NI contributions, but I haven't seen any definitive writings on it recently.

If you decide to leave UK and return to the Philippines legally you're obliged to pay the NHS bill before leaving. You can be very sure that the bill will definitely be significantly more expensive than the cost of the same treatment in the Philippines.

Slightly off-topic but, having your wife secure British Citizenship before retiring to non-EU countries is a must if there's any possibility of returning to UK for any reason such as medical. Without that British Passport any previously issued visa such as ILR will have expired it's validity after 2 years of UK absence.
It's happened before and will happen again.

stevewool
27th April 2015, 17:24
Thanks Peter, with me having my home here in the uk still and the rates are still in my name, would that make any difference do you think

Terpe
28th April 2015, 00:43
Thanks Peter, with me having my home here in the uk still and the rates are still in my name, would that make any difference do you think

The only thing that counts for eligibility is whether or not you 'ordinarily live' in the UK.

“Ordinarily resident” is

living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled.

During my working life I've spent many periods of time working outside of UK for longer than 3 months.
On those rare times I needed any kind of NHS treatments I didn't need to prove residence simply because I wasn't asked.

These days I believe the NHS is much wiser in checking eligibility, which in principle has nothing to do with nationality or past payments of NI of taxes of any kind.

I'll have to take time out and see whatever happened to the government ideas of free NHS for UK overseas retirees.
I know there was something about having a continuous 10 year record of NI payments at some time during the working life.
Like all other good ideas probably still buried somewhere

Doc Alan
30th April 2015, 19:29
There is a recent ( 2015 ) link to Citizens Advice which may complement Terpe’s posts :-

• Some hospital treatment is free of charge for everyone who needs it :-

1. Treatment for accidents and emergencies as an outpatient in a hospital A + E department ( charge if admitted )

2. Compulsory psychiatric treatment ( or court order in England / Wales )

3. Treatment for communicable diseases including TB, cholera, malaria, meningitis, and pandemic ‘flu. HIV treatment free in England / Scotland ( but only testing / counselling free in Wales / Northern Ireland )

4. Family planning services

5. Treatment provided to victims of violence ( England )

6. You would not be refused medical treatment stabilising a life-threatening condition ( such as renal failure )

• NHS hospital treatment free if lawfully entitled to be in the UK and usually live here/ " ordinarily resident "

• You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you :-

1. Have paid immigration health surcharge ( or exempt from paying )

2. Have been living legally in UK for at least 12 months before starting treatment and did not come to UK for private treatment ( Scotland/Wales )

3. Normally work in UK but temporarily working abroad ( must have lived in UK continuously for at least 10 years before going overseas )

4. State pensioner living in an EEA country or Switzerland ( but for Scotland / Wales need to live in UK at least 6 months/year )

• Free NHS hospital treatment MAY also be available for those falling ill during a visit ( but not routine treatment for pre-existing condition ) :-

1. From country outside EEA which has signed health agreement with UK ( not Philippines )

2. * UK state retirement pension and normally live in non-EEA country ( must have lived lawfully in UK for at least 10 years continuously in past ) – also covers spouse, civil partner and dependent children

3. Live in an EEA member state or Switzerland ( having lived lawfully in UK for at least 10 years continuously in past )

• GPs and dentists – may accept you on their list if you live in UK but don’t have to do so ; some flexibility here as to whether you qualify for free treatment ( may be accepted as temporary resident if visiting for less than 3 months ; may accept you as private patient )

• Visitors not usually entitled to non-hospital treatment, unless as an emergency

This information is without prejudice as to how hospitals decide who should pay, and how efficient they are at obtaining that payment ! The UK does seem to have a poor record in recovering the costs of treating European nationals. Last year the Department of Health recovered £ 30 million ; probably a fifth of the total estimated chargeable costs . European states charged UK £ 155 million for treating ill UK tourists - but that’s another topic !

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/healthcare/help-with-health-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/07/treating-uk-tourists-in-europe-costs-five-times-more-than-equivalent-cost-to-nhs

stevewool
30th April 2015, 19:36
Thanks Alan, I dont intend to be ill but who knows what may be down the road waiting, hopefully sunshine and less stress may help towards my way of thinking,