PDA

View Full Version : My Utility Bills in the Philippines

Terpe
17th April 2015, 06:44
It's been 6 months now here in Davao City so I reckon a good enough time to evaluate my 'utility' costs.
Hope it's useful.

It looks like our monthly electricity bill has settled down to around a predictable P2000
Except for a few days recently, which have been relatively cold and cloudy (just like today), these past few weeks have heralded summer and with the mercury rising and we've succumbed to using the aircon in the living area from time to time so I'm guessing the next bill could be anywhere between P2000 and P2500. Especially as we have a house full of kids now (school summer break).

Our water bill is very low and varies between P300 - P400 per month.
So that's a fairly predictable cost now.
The monthly cost of purified drinking water seems to be about around P200 -P300 depending how hot the weather gets.
I've noticed a bit of a hike in consumption with the kids here now though.

The 12.4kg gas bottle we bought way back on 29th November for I think P735 needed to be replaced yesterday.
Oddly we only had to pay P635 for the replacement 12.4kg bottle, so I'm not sure if there was a deposit involved before. I asked the question but didn't get a straight answer. (not too uncommon here)

I think the 12.4kg bottle holds around 25 litres of LPG. We use the gas solely for cooking.
I tend to cook quite a lot on the BBQ. The coconut husks I use as 'firelighters' are free and coconut shell charcoal costs me P150 for a 25kg sack. I have a home made 'Charcoal cooker ring' which can be used as an alternative to a gas hob which I've used a few times too.
We have a regular English style LPG fuelled cooker that has a 4 ring hob and large oven. We rarely use the oven except for English style roasts which I only cook monthly.

My next project is to build a small Pizza oven that I can also use to bake bread.
Basically I haven't found any decent Pizza's here.
Pizza Hut and Shakeys are just OK, but I reckon they're expensive.

The local S&R Shopping (Philippines version of Costco) do some really big family sized Pizza's for just under P500
Good value and great taste too.

I'd still like to build a oven though.

Most foodstuffs here are cheap and especially at the local markets which on average are half the cost of the supermarkets.

Toiletries and laundry stuff tend to be quite expensive.

I'm not running a car so can't comment on the runnings costs.
My transportation costs are extremely low based on using the jeepneys with use of taxi's when we need for whatever reason.
Yesterday we took a taxi home from shopping as we had a lot of heavy stuff including 25kg rice.

My best estimate of total monthly transportation costs would be in the region of P800
We tend to get out and about pretty much everyday hence that higher amount.
The best aspect of the jeepney being the ability to hop on and off exactly where you want and when you want.

Still having fun here :Jump:

Michael Parnham
17th April 2015, 07:19
It's been 6 months now here in Davao City so I reckon a good enough time to evaluate my 'utility' costs.
Hope it's useful.

It looks like our monthly electricity bill has settled down to around a predictable P2000
Except for a few days recently, which have been relatively cold and cloudy (just like today), these past few weeks have heralded summer and with the mercury rising and we've succumbed to using the aircon in the living area from time to time so I'm guessing the next bill could be anywhere between P2000 and P2500. Especially as we have a house full of kids now (school summer break).

The monthly cost of purified drinking water seems to be about around P200 -P300 depending how hot the weather gets.

The 12.4kg gas bottle we bought way back on 29th November for I think P735 needed to be replaced yesterday.
Oddly we only had to pay P635 for the replacement 12.4kg bottle, so I'm not sure if there was a deposit involved before. I asked the question but didn't get a straight answer. (not too uncommon here)

I think the 12.4kg bottle holds around 25 litres of LPG. We use the gas solely for cooking.
I tend to cook quite a lot on the BBQ. The coconut husks I use as 'firelighters' are free and coconut shell charcoal costs me P150 for a 25kg sack. I have a home made 'Charcoal cooker ring' which can be used as an alternative to a gas hob which I've used a few times too.
We have a regular English style LPG fuelled cooker that has a 4 ring hob and large oven. We rarely use the oven except for English style roasts which I only cook monthly.

My next project is to build a small Pizza oven that I can also use to bake bread.

The local S&R Shopping (Philippines version of Costco) do some really big family sized Pizza's for just under P500

Most foodstuffs here are cheap and especially at the local markets which on average are half the cost of the supermarkets.

My transportation costs are extremely low based on using the jeepneys with use of taxi's when we need for whatever reason.
Yesterday we took a taxi home from shopping as we had a lot of heavy stuff including 25kg rice.

My best estimate of total monthly transportation costs would be in the region of P800
The best aspect of the jeepney being the ability to hop on and off exactly where you want and when you want.

I recommend you treat yourself to a Shakey's Chefs salad Peter, very yummy!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
17th April 2015, 08:29
I thought greenwich pizza was nice, well closest to anything we have in England

cheekee
17th April 2015, 10:37
Yes I enjoyed Greenwich pizza. But we found a place in Cebu called Pizza Republic. You walk along an aisle and they build the pizza in front of you. You chose as many toppings as you want for the same price. I was lovely.

Also love a Jonnies steak hungry and rice :)

jonnijon
17th April 2015, 10:58
Bottle gas price is linked to the price of oil.

imagine
17th April 2015, 12:02
the small grotto house where we lived before the 3 story we are in now, its utility bills were,

The 12.4kg gas bottle approx 700p for refilled bottle, there was originaly a deposit on the 1st bottle, cant remember how much now,
the gas lasted then 4 months,
were we are now we have been using more so lasts now about 2 months,

electric was around 250p month,
, water up to 200p month, mostly only used the minimum charge of 120 p month,
here at the 3 story , water 500p per month, electric p 1000, per month

some welding has been done includes the 1000

imagine
17th April 2015, 12:05
we buy pitza bases in gasano, and use our own toppings, favourite sardines in tomato sauce and cheese,

transport, at first lita would jump on a trycicle or multy cab just for short walking distances, i stopped this when we are together, as walking is better for health

Dedworth
17th April 2015, 12:13

I've just bunged South East Water £311.19 for 6 months of their Five Star Extra Hard Water :cwm23:

Greenwich Pizza - I'm with Slip & Cheekee

fred
17th April 2015, 14:32
Peter.. There is a Filipino inventor that sells fantastic units that burn Palay and produce pure gas for cooking... You just pour the free Palay into the hopper and it will produce free gas all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh0gC77cvGA

http://www.rappler.com/science-nature/59043-eco-friendly-stove-rice-hull-powered

Ive even seen these things connected to a petrol generator to produce 220 power..

grahamw48
17th April 2015, 17:02
Fascinating stuff...and making me miss being there. :cwm3:

I've just had a water meter installed, so should be paying a lot less than the comedy direct debit that Yorkshire Water had originally started me on. :NoNo:

stevewool
17th April 2015, 19:35
Yellow cab i do enjoy and yes thats a pizza

stevewool
17th April 2015, 19:36
Thanks Peter for the costing, every little bit of advice from people living there gose along way to planning our escape

jonnijon
17th April 2015, 23:28
The cost of Palay has risen a lot because the cement makers now burn it.

London_Manila
18th April 2015, 01:41
I found the weekly shop in a big supermarket over there worked out around the same as here in the Uk

Electricity prices over there are very expensive

fred
18th April 2015, 05:05
Electricity prices over there are very expensive

10p per killiowatt hour in the UK plus an average of 100.00 + Quid a year standing charge.. Not sure how to calculate what the true cost of a KWH in the UK but lets say 12p including the S/C.
Thats 8 Pesos per KWH.

We pay around 9.50 Peso per KWH so I cant really see a drastic difference.
Does that sound right or has my math gone haywire? I wouldn't be surprised!:icon_lol:

Terpe
18th April 2015, 14:28
I found the weekly shop in a big supermarket over there worked out around the same as here in the Uk

The trick is not to be tempted to try and live a western lifestyle with western type groceries.

Most foodstuffs here are cheap and especially at the local markets which on average are half the cost of the supermarkets......

...Electricity prices over there are very expensive

I'm not sure how true that is or even it is .
It surely depends who the supplier is, but without taking any special control measures whatsoever my monthly bill is still only P2000
(approx GBP30 @ P65/£)

Terpe
18th April 2015, 14:32
10p per killiowatt hour in the UK plus an average of 100.00 + Quid a year standing charge.. Not sure how to calculate what the true cost of a KWH in the UK but lets say 12p including the S/C.
Thats 8 Pesos per KWH.

Does that sound right or has my math gone haywire? I wouldn't be surprised!:icon_lol:

Our bill for March was P2017
We used 257 kWh

That's P7.85 per kWh and already includes a fairly hefty increase for 2015

Our supplier is Davao Light & Power

fred
18th April 2015, 16:20
Our bill for March was P2017
We used 257 kWh

That's P7.85 per kWh and already includes a fairly hefty increase for 2015

Our supplier is Davao Light & Power

So is that cheaper than your power per KWH in the UK?
Is this "very expensive power in the R.P" a myth?
I must say that in Manila it is almost 13 Pesos per KWH so as you say..It depends on the area..Obviously.

grahamw48
18th April 2015, 17:53
From what I've seen on my bills and in quotes, electric runs out at around 14-17 pence per kw/hr all-inclusive at the moment in UK.

Anyone else ?

Of course this is a much smaller proportion of our average income than it would be for a Filipino.

Terpe
19th April 2015, 00:14
So is that cheaper than your power per KWH in the UK?

I have no idea.
Based on the info from Graham, and based on the simple facts from my electricity bill, then yes. For me it's cheaper per kWh than in the UK

But as Graham rightly highlights, as a percentage of income it probably comes out higher.

The thread was posted to share my costs here versus back in UK. The fact is that I'm paying P2000 per month for my electricity. That's much less than I ever paid in UK
Personally I'd call that cheap.

If I was being billed over P6500 (£100) then I think I'd call that expensive for the Philippines.
I'd be looking to see where all those kWh were getting consumed because it just wouldn't be normal usage. IMO

London_Manila
19th April 2015, 02:16
Thats 8 Pesos per KWH.

When i had my condo in Cainta the electricity bill was around 15,000 pesos a month
We cooked with gas
no way have i ever used £200 worth of electricity here in the UK its more like £40

fred
19th April 2015, 04:51
When i had my condo in Cainta the electricity bill was around 15,000 pesos a month
We cooked with gas
no way have i ever used £200 worth of electricity here in the UK its more like £40

We have tenants that run a 1 HP A/C almost 24 hours a day and their bills are more than half that amount.
My Bro in law has a huge 3 phase plastic grinder which he grinds tons of scrap plastic in..His last bill was only 18k.
something in your condo went pear shaped.
Price per KWH is price per KWH..Seems from what Graham says its more expensive in the UK.
Our houshold leccky bill is around 2,500 a month average.

Terpe
19th April 2015, 05:55
We cooked with gas

P15000 per month even at today's rate hike of say P13 for Manila works out at a whopping 1150 kWh
That's a whole lot more than most families here in the Philippines bring home.
Certainly getting close to 50 percent of the total income for those in great paid jobs even in Manila

Let's forget the costing side, let's just look at energy usage.
Even today that's a lot of energy getting consumed.
Where on earth did that energy go?
Was the AC was running flat out 24/7?
Was there a powerful water heater running?

How much energy do you consume here in UK? And what are the main factors to account for such differences between the usage in UK and Philippines?

Putting the consumed monthly 1150 kWh into UK costing terms at today's cost of say 14p per kWh that would cost £161 per month, £483 per quarter, £1932 per year.

£40 per month UK electricity usage comes out at 285kWh
Based on that 14p per UK unit.
P15000 per month even at today's rate hike of say P13 for Manila works out at a whopping 1150 kWh
Certainly getting close to 50 percent of the total income for those in great paid jobs even in Manila

How much energy do you consume here in UK? And what are the main factors to account for such differences between the usage in UK and Philippines?

Putting the consumed monthly 1150 kWh into UK costing terms at today's cost of say 14p per kWh that would cost £161 per month, £483 per quarter, £1932 per year.

Based on that 14pence per UK unit then £40 per month equates to 285 kWh per month
That's not so much higher than my Philippine usage.

But it's far far away from your 1150 kWh usage.

Michael Parnham
19th April 2015, 06:59
We cooked with gas

How? there are only light bulbs and the odd appliance that you may use on a rare occasion, gas and electric here in UK only comes to at most £45 per month!:Erm:

SimonH
19th April 2015, 07:03
How? there are only light bulbs and the odd appliance that you may use on a rare occasion, gas and electric here in UK only comes to at most £45 per month!:Erm:

My combined gas and electric is £200 a month here :yikes:

stevewool
19th April 2015, 07:17
I am a tight git, but with my 2 children moving back in my bills have gone up a little too, but hey, its still cheap.
I am with british gas for both gas and electric, i have just got my annual gas bill with what i have used over the year .
5949 KWH April to April cost £335, last year i used 6161 KWH,
UNIT RATE is 4.160p
Standing charge 26.010p per day
Tariff comparison rate 4.81p

I am very happy so far with what i have paid plus what i am paying,

Michael Parnham
19th April 2015, 07:21
I am a tight git, but with my 2 children moving back in my bills have gone up a little too, but hey, its still cheap.
I am with british gas for both gas and electric, i have just got my annual gas bill with what i have used over the year .
5949 KWH April to April cost £335, last year i used 6161 KWH,
UNIT RATE is 4.160p
Standing charge 26.010p per day
Tariff comparison rate 4.81p

I am very happy so far with what i have paid plus what i am paying,

That's how it should be Steve, well done!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
19th April 2015, 07:24
Don't know how much my annual amount is for my Dual fuel because my monthly D/D is £44 but I still have £180 in credit!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
19th April 2015, 07:51
Get that money £180 in credit into your bank account or tell them to reduce your direct debit, why should they make intrest on what is yours, you could buy a nice new lens with that sort of money

grahamw48
19th April 2015, 08:44
Did you miss a 1 off the front of that unit rate Steve ? :Erm:

stevewool
19th April 2015, 11:00

Not at all Graham , thats what it says on my gas bill,

Dedworth
19th April 2015, 15:50

That's what I thought - our 2014 is 12855kwh and I'm always turning the 'stat back

stevewool
19th April 2015, 15:59
Wow, either i am the worlds tightest git, and i use candles comes to mind or my bill is wrong,

andy222
19th April 2015, 19:06
Hope it's useful.

Probably the best move you ever made Terpe. Apart from marrying your wife.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
19th April 2015, 21:38
We have a duel fuel bill of £50 a month here in the UK and i have been paying that same price for 3 years.I get the meter readers coming round but not been a bill for a long time.There is only 2 of us here and we use very little gas with having electric shower and cooker.
Compared that to an apartment we had in Pardo/Cebu for 1 year before my wife came over here. 5,000 peso a month for electric at least with air con on most of the time and electric ring for cooking. Nothing much more but the normal items, fridge and tv to add to the bill very month. We were paying more for electric in Cebu than we pay for electric and gas here now. :Erm:

grahamw48
19th April 2015, 21:47
Easiest way to save money in the Phils is to knock off the aircon.
I have never used it any of the houses or apartments I've had there. Fans only.

Rory
19th April 2015, 22:06
We only use fans when we stay with family over there. No fan or Air con and i find it impossible to sleep.

jonnijon
19th April 2015, 23:51
Yorkshire, might have known :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

London_Manila
20th April 2015, 02:20

£40 per month UK electricity usage comes out at 285kWh
Based on that 14p per UK unit.

Based on that 14pence per UK unit then £40 per month equates to 285 kWh per month
That's not so much higher than my Philippine usage.

But it's far far away from your 1150 kWh usage.

Yes i had 2 air con units running nearly 24/7
It was summer time over there and the condo was like an oven inside
Fans are pretty useless for me they just blow warm air at you
If i did not have aircon at night then for sure i could not sleep
I admire you hardy bunch who can endure that constant heat i cannot
Here is my personal rule of thumb on heat

13 degrees up to 20 is fine and good for working in
20 degrees is about perfect
25 degrees and over is uncomfortable and lethargy starts
30 degrees and over is constant sweating and feeling dirty
35 degrees and over is unbearable and no energy for anything

fred
20th April 2015, 02:33
Yes i had 2 air con units running nearly 24/7
It was summer time over there and the condo was like an oven inside
Fans are pretty useless for me they just blow warm air at you
If i did not have aircon at night then for sure i could not sleep
I admire you hardy bunch who can endure that constant heat i cannot

Living in a big posh condo is the same as owning a big flash car...Costs more to run.
Not only that but structures made of concrete are just huge heat sincs..CHB`s are like batteries that store heat which is released all day long and in the evening.
Trying to fight that heat wit A/C power is expensive... 15K expensive!
When Im in Manila,I need the A/C on a lot too.
Our native style home in the province though works in a completely different way...Its cool inside and little need for A/C.

Terpe
20th April 2015, 06:41
Our original idea was to experience condo life in downtown Davao.
We looked at a lot, but didn't find anything to suit us at all.
Most of the ones we looked at were like ovens inside until ALL the A/C units got going.
Not for us.

Here in our little village we are surrounded by green areas and trees.
Mostly a nice breeze.
From around 3:30 pm the temperature cools down enough for a bike ride or a stroll.
At night it drops to around 23 - 25
With the windows open we normally enjoy a nice movement of air. Usually a small fan helps.

It's summer here now and it can get very hot during the day. If there's no breeze and it gets very humid we'll turn on a small A/C on to cool down the house.
We can sit outside and enjoy the warm evenings and a family meal.

Yes, it's true the heat in the Philippines is a very significant issue that needs considerable thought.
Especially when relocation is in mind.

I've met a few folks who find it too much.
They almost never leave their house and cold beer to go anywhere. Well except a meeting at their regular watering hole. They must be happy or they'd leave I guess ? I can't help wondering if they must get bored.
When you ask them where they have visited in the Philippines it's mostly nowhere.

Strange bunch IMO
Friendly enough though, and if I'm passing by will always greet me and invite me for a cold one.
I've done so a few times but it generally ends up with the regular hardliners almost getting to blows over the usual politics and religion. :icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
20th April 2015, 07:04
Never use Aircon, it will kill you before the heat will. Always open front and rear doors or windows allow the breeze to pass through, it's very nice!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
21st April 2015, 01:59
Never use Aircon, it will kill you before the heat will. Always open front and rear doors or windows allow the breeze to pass through, it's very nice!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

What about mosquitoes and moths not to mention any intruders.......

Totally unscientific and just my personal thoughts but i always think that pinoy males seem to die young of heart complaints or a stroke and i put that down to the heat and eating too much salt
Maybe too much alcohol can be added as welll

In the excessive heat your heart is working much harder to try and cool you
I took a heart rate monitor to the phills and my heart rate is much elevated over there (beats per minute)
blood pressure was raised also
On returning to an aircon cooled room my heart rate came down back to normal blood pressure dropped as well
Surely that constant sweating is good for no one

Michael Parnham
21st April 2015, 08:35
What about mosquitoes and moths not to mention any intruders.......

Totally unscientific and just my personal thoughts but i always think that pinoy males seem to die young of heart complaints or a stroke and i put that down to the heat and eating too much salt
Maybe too much alcohol can be added as welll

In the excessive heat your heart is working much harder to try and cool you
I took a heart rate monitor to the phills and my heart rate is much elevated over there (beats per minute)
blood pressure was raised also
On returning to an aircon cooled room my heart rate came down back to normal blood pressure dropped as well
Surely that constant sweating is good for no one

We had insect screens, no bars on the windows, never had hardly any insect problems at all. When I first moved to Philippines I soon learnt that ants ect disappeared if you wash and dry pots and put them away and all food in airtight containers unless its food that needs to be in the fridge, also Maritess used to mop and clean the whole apartment every morning after breakfast whilst I made myself busy cleaning bathroom or windows and the rear of the apartment where the washing machine and drying area was, we just got into a routine and everything was nice and shiny just like here at home in the UK!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
21st April 2015, 09:03
You've got it Michael. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
21st April 2015, 09:10
You've got it Michael. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Graham, simple really!:xxgrinning--00xx3: