PDA

View Full Version : St Patrick's Day

Dedworth
17th March 2015, 13:08
Hope the Irish members have a good one :irish: I'll have a few pints of the black stuff :party-smiley-012:tonight in memory of my great grandfather who hot footed it from Dublin in 1922 :biggrin:

Watched this last night :-

Irish Rock at the BBC

A whistlestop tour of rock from over the water, taking in some of the finest Irish rock offerings from the early 70s to the present day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0556qc9/irish-rock-at-the-bbc

Terpe
17th March 2015, 14:24
To be honest I'd forgotten.
Didn't even know what date it was today.

Strange as it may seem I haven't touched a drop since Sunday.
That was our BBQ day with friends and I had too much heat and a tad too much of the Red Horse.
Back to San Mig Pils for me......my wife has said :wink:

I've had some rare old times celebrating St. Patrick's day to be sure to be sure :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Number one best ever was in New York by a good margin
Second was Dublin and third was Galway which was the venue for a reunion of my family on my grandmothers side.
I almost behaved myself at that do, until the next day.

Happy St Patrick's day to all

Dedworth
17th March 2015, 16:41
St Georges Day coming up soon :cwm25:

http://i.imgur.com/b9Jaiu8.jpg

les_taxi
17th March 2015, 17:52
Sad thing is Dedworth, we don't celebrate it - we should.

Most people don't even know when it is! :doh

bigmarco
19th March 2015, 17:32

You're right it's not celebrated enough. For the last 5/6 years I usually book the day off as we have a group at work who make a point of having a night out to celebrate. Sadly I can't make it this year as I'll be in The Philippines.

Amaw2008
25th March 2015, 20:16
Arthur and the other Scottish forum members might care to comment on this one, but it seems that St Andrew's Day is the most spurious of the lot. There's already a day for having a bit too much to drink, messing about and celebrating all things Scottish. It's called "Burns Nicht" (night).

As far as St George's Day goes, I was driving through Colne, Lancashire a few years back, and the traffic was held up by a magnificent looking troop of guys in late medieval armour with St George's cross tunics processing towards the church. All of the nations of the British Isles should stand tall, have equal consideration and plenty of :Beer:

Arthur Little
25th March 2015, 21:19
Arthur and the other Scottish forum members might care to comment on this one, but it seems that St Andrew's Day is the most spurious of the lot. There's already a day for having a bit too much to drink, messing about and celebrating all things Scottish. It's called "Burns Nicht" (night).

Aye ... you're right, mate. Reckon I ought to have even greater cause to celebrate 'Burns Nicht" ... since January 25th also happened to be my maternal grandmother's birth date, and had it not been for her Earthly presence, I wouldn't have existed at all!

Haggis, neeps 'n' tatties ... "bring 'em on"! But you can forget the :Beer:

Cheers! :66:

Amaw2008
25th March 2015, 22:05
Arthur, do you mean that my little emoticons are drinking crappy lager, and yours are drinking bitter (known as heavy in Scotland). Do you reckon that the young don't know what good beer is? If so, I'm in total agreement with you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Abigail
26th March 2015, 10:01
I told my husband he was destined to be involved with Scotland as his birthday is Burns night, I then asked him how he felt about eating haggis for every birthday dinner for the rest of his life :icon_lol:

Terpe
26th March 2015, 12:25
I told my husband he was destined to be involved with Scotland as his birthday is Burns night, I then asked him how he felt about eating haggis for every birthday dinner for the rest of his life :icon_lol:

I just love a really good haggis. Always have done.
In a previous life I'd enjoyed it almost whenever I wanted and always accompanied by a large glass or three of Johnnie Walker Blue Label
:hubbahubba:

My wife tried it but found it much too spicy and gamey.
She enjoyed the Blue Label though :wink:

Michael Parnham
26th March 2015, 12:45

I must admit I've never heard of any of those days!:Erm:

Amaw2008
26th March 2015, 14:23
There are quite a lot of St George's celebrations going on, maybe there should be more, but I bet all of you guys can find something near you. It seems to me that a lot of English people get worked up because some council somewhere bans it or because someone somewhere isn't interested in it. That's their problem, who gives a %$*#. We do the misty-eyed, romantic stuff brilliantly (like the burial of Richard III), it's the "pub stuff" that we're not so good at, but we're getting better. St Patrick's day and Burns Night are such a success because Irish and Scottish people have the self-confidence to have a bit of a laugh at their own expense and still be patriotic. We should be down at the pub waving a plastic rose and telling some girl "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" Sorry Arthur, roast beef with all the trimmings is so much better than haggis, you need to be a bit drunk to eat that stuff! There are some irritating youngsters who think that the world began in 1980 and that curry is the national dish; I've nothing against a good curry but this is rubbish. Why do the French call us "les rosbifs" and why is there a song called "the roast beef of Old England"? My God, I'm making myself hungry!:Rasp: