PDA

View Full Version : The country training people to leave

Terpe
9th March 2015, 07:24
The Philippines has one of the fastest growing economies in Asia - but there aren't enough jobs to go around. So every year the government teaches thousands of people the skills they need to get jobs abroad.

Source (http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31762595)

Tawi2
9th March 2015, 08:46
Pinas' biggest export is people. Without remittances it would sink like a lead balloon. I went to Cambodia recently, and at Poipet border crossing, I met the new generation of Pinays - two young professionals who were backpacking. :Erm: They invited me to dinner in Siem Reap, which was a bit of a surprise, and they paid the bill! :icon_lol: One had 2 degrees - Education and Nursing; the other was a fully-qualified nurse and was studying for her Masters. She said that was her best chance to get into the States where her mum was a nurse. But because of lack of nursing positions in Pinas, both are teaching English in Cebu.

They saved their cash and went to Thailand and Cambodia for a holiday. Both are desperate to get out of Pinas, like many other people. Look at the TESDA courses. Most of the courses mention you can work abroad or are much in demand abroad when outlining the courses. Look at the amount of posters, banners, etc., around town - all declaring "LIVE,STUDY,WORK,IN......". Most people studying for a decent degree want out for a better life.

raynaputi
12th March 2015, 14:20
Here's the episode of BBC HardTalk about this topic. I watched it the other night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0552xtt

Tawi2
10th May 2015, 20:16
i know a young lady who got her results last week and is now an electrical engineer,:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:,she can hardly wait to go abroad,theres no incentive for her to stay in pinas and earn buttons.

raynaputi
10th May 2015, 20:40
i know a young lady who got her results last week and is now an electrical engineer,:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:,she can hardly wait to go abroad,theres no incentive for her to stay in pinas and earn buttons.

My brother is also an electrical engineer. My uncle who works in Qatar has been asking him for a year now to apply at their company because they need someone like him and the pay is very good. But my brother is still undecided because he has a girlfriend he doesn't want to leave! :icon_lol:

Tawi2
10th May 2015, 20:44
Hopefully Em is going to end up in australia,congrats Em :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo: