PDA

View Full Version : BBC Rant No: 6,476

KeithD
22nd November 2007, 20:44
You can now watch BC World news live on the Internet now...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But then so can ANYONE in the world, while us :action-smiley-081: have to pay for it :furious3:

andypaul
22nd November 2007, 20:47
Do they have adverts on the webcasts i heard they had to make sure the adverts were blocked in the uk on any bbc chanel media outlet?

KeithD
22nd November 2007, 20:51
Don't think so. Everyone in the world can use the web site that we also pay for!!!

joebloggs
23rd November 2007, 03:22
i thought if your tv, or pc don't have a tuner in it, you don't need a tv license .. so if i watch online you don't need one :Erm:

KeithD
23rd November 2007, 09:33
You still need a license old boy......Watching television on anything is what you pay for, the license is not for a physical TV.

andypaul
23rd November 2007, 11:47
I guess their will be a test case what if some watchs a flash movie from the phillpines say a legal owned copy of wowwowwee.

Its not being broadcast you have downloaded it, is that a recording which like Joe says technicaly if you had a tv with no recieving equipment could watch with no liscense. But if you watched a stream you would need a licence?

For example

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/image/spacer.gifhttp://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/image/spacer.gifhttp://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/image/grey.gifhttp://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/image/spacer.gifhttp://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/image/spacer.gifYou need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one of our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
Bristol
BS98 1TL

I guess some phills will need to pay attetnion to this as they may say have tfc satalite or just use internet.

From what i see the law is a bit hazy as new technolgies arrive. But if your streaming a film i guess Youtube then if they did catch you doing it then they would demand to see a tv Licence. But the downloading of legal files to watch at a later date i can't see an exact answer for.

joebloggs
23rd November 2007, 11:50
not unless they changed the law, i'm sure if it had a tuner in it, you needed a license, wether it was a tv, video recorder, free view box, tv tuner card in your pc or dvd recorder.

but from the licensing web site
'You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast.

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.'

so you can listen to it but not watch it :D, good for blind people, not good for deaf people thou, bit of discrimination there :yikes:

i don't see how they would ever know your watching thru the inet, if your pc don't have a tuner, when my bro use to work for the post offfice, b4 bt was formed, his friend use to drive around the northwest in a van finding people without a tv license :cwm24:

andypaul
23rd November 2007, 11:58
not unless they changed the law, i'm sure if it had a tuner in it, you needed a license, wether it was a tv, video recorder, free view box, tv tuner card in your pc or dvd recorder.

but from the licensing web site
'You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast.

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.'

so you can listen to it but not watch it :D, good for blind people, not good for deaf people thou, bit of discrimination there :yikes:

i don't see how they would ever know your watching thru the inet, if your pc don't have a tuner, when my bro use to work for the post offfice, b4 bt was formed, his friend use to drive around the northwest in a van finding people without a tv license :cwm24:

The above post contained an extract from the tv license webpage i guess they have already been though a few courtcases which cost more than they are worth so try to say well you should of written to us to avoid a court battle and just get them stump up the money if they have not informed them of some special circumstances.

But i know of some phills who just have a pc and they download abs cbn progs of the net to watch, like you say they are unlucky to even be asked but i think they should be safe as long as they don't stream the shows live?

KeithD
23rd November 2007, 12:04
No tuner requiered. The license is for the PROGRAMS.

aromulus
23rd November 2007, 12:09
The above post contained an extract from the tv license webpage i guess they have already been though a few courtcases which cost more than they are worth so try to say well you should of written to us to avoid a court battle and just get them stump up the money if they have not informed them of some special circumstances.

But i know of some phills who just have a pc and they download abs cbn progs of the net to watch, like you say they are unlucky to even be asked but i think they should be safe as long as they don't stream the shows live?

Whichever way you read the info, it doesn't really make much difference...
They will win in any case, sooner or later they get you, one way or the other.
When I moved here, years ago, my TV was not even plugged on the wall, or had an antenna. It was still in the spare bedroom together with all the rest of the furniture that I hadn't had time to arrange in the flat, due to re-decorating it.
Well, maybe it was Joe's bro that called on spec, he demanded to see the receiving equipment, and as the telly had a plug on, he plugged it in the wall socket and switched the set on.
The picture without the antenna was not present, but the sound was good.
I only got away with the £1000 fine because I had the licence, but it was for my previous lodgings and not had the time to change the address.
I was issued with a formal warning to change address asap, as he would come back within the week to check.....
He did.... And I was ready.

KeithD
23rd November 2007, 12:44
More like the Mafia than a free society.

MadWelsh
20th February 2008, 14:04
Simple way round tv license blokes, one came round my house the other day, said 'you haven't got a licence', I said 'yeah I don't watch television', he points at the roof at the aerial and says 'you've got an aerial', I replied 'I've got a pint of milk in my fridge, do you see any frickin cows in my garden?' :doh

I do own a licence, however I don't watch more than about 3 hrs of BBC a week, maybe dave attenborough and match of the day, as mark lawro would say 'At the mooment, Gary'.

walesrob
20th February 2008, 14:26
TV Licensing act like Little Hitlers, and I challenge them to come on here on defend themselves otherwise.

Let me explain. PC World sale had a nice little USB DVB stick for 10 pounds, bought one, and was asked my name and address at the checkout (in hindsight I should have said Mr G. Brown, 10 Downing street, but somehow...) Then a letter saying you haven't got a licence, you must buy one or Terry Wogan will starve (err, ok, maybe not). I have got a licence for this address, but not in my name. So I proceed to call the 0844 number, and told them the situation, and they then asked me who the licence holder was, what was the relationship between you and the licence holder, told them NONE OF YOUR FRICKIN BUSINESS :furious3: What matters is that the property is covered by a TV licence and I've already told you the serial number of the existing licence, thats all you need to know. Then I was told I may get more demands to a buy a licence, if so, I must ignore those, so TV Licensing are guilty of generating huge amounts of paper most of which will end up in the shredder or bin.

Surely a bit of common sense will say, ah the name is different, but the address is the same, so theres no need to issue needless demands for a TV licence?

Having worked in commercial radio before, I know what an easy life these BBC people have.

joebloggs
20th February 2008, 14:59
whats a tv licence :Erm:

wife swap last sunday, i've sent an app form for the misses :icon_lol:, they had a family, who didn't watch tv :yikes:, well they didn't want their poor kids getting brainwashed by the one eyed box :doh, they had a tv but never used it, but as the wife said from the other family "don't you need a tv licence for it" :doh :icon_lol::D

fred
20th February 2008, 16:29
Don't think so. Everyone in the world can use the web site that we also pay for!!!

I feel really guilty about watching at your expense.
Tell you what..10 minutes more and I`ll log off.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
20th February 2008, 17:12
You may as well us the iPlayer and watch everything that we haven't :D .......take you a while.....

fred
22nd February 2008, 06:58
You may as well us the iPlayer and watch everything that we haven't :D .......take you a while.....

I would if I could but the iplayer detects my RP IP address and wont start.
It wont even work with a brit proxy browser..
Oh well..There goes Eastenders!

KeithD
22nd February 2008, 10:21
That's becuase you need to use an Elite Proxy that hides your country code....this software I use on my travels to access all the bookies http://www.hide-my-ip.com/ or http://www.hide-the-ip.com/

The 2nd one is probably better as you can select the country you are(nt) in :)

joebloggs
22nd February 2008, 10:54
Oh well..There goes Eastenders!

:xxgrinning--00xx3: wow, no sh!$enders in the phils

paradise Fred :rolleyes: