PDA

View Full Version : Do you use hearing aids ?

mickcant
25th February 2015, 16:09
Hi all, Can I ask if many men here use hearing aids?
I am 70 and started wearing NHS ones 4 years ago in 2011.

From those that use them, do you have National Health issued ones?
I read in adverts that NHS ones are old technology ones?

I have just obtained a " Sarabec NL6 A-4036-3 Sonumaxx (PR-20+) Set" which is a Loop system to enable me to listen to my TV without any output from the TV speakers that would be so high it would annoy my upstairs flat neighbour.

But the sound level when using the loop is rather low (though it is ok when the hearing aids are in non-loop mode).
The new equipment suppliers say I need better quality privately-bought hearing aids! Which could cost around £3,000 I am told.

Any advice from others who use hearing aids would be very helpful.
Mick. :olddude:

Dedworth
25th February 2015, 16:16
Mick, I suspect there're a lot of spivs and cowboys flogging hearing aids - why don't you check out Specsavers. ......................Our advance range of digital hearing aids starts at £495 and comes with two digital hearing aids, four years’ worth of batteries and a four-year guarantee included in the price.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/hearing-aids

johncar54
25th February 2015, 17:48
Having tried hearing aids, around the £3,000 mark, for about 4 months, with every week getting them re-tuned, I gave up and got my money back. I am of the opinion that unless one is profoundly deaf they are not worth the effort. I have several friends who are of the same opinion.

mickcant
26th February 2015, 13:54
Thank you to Dedworth and John, for your thoughts.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have been given an appointment for 5th March at our hospital Audiology department and will see if any possible adjustments to my NHS aids help before making any costly decision to buy private ones.
Mick.:Erm:

Dedworth
26th February 2015, 14:01
a sensible plan Mick. This might be of use http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/hearing-problems/Pages/hearing-aids.aspx