PDA

View Full Version : De Facto Visa

mavid
21st January 2006, 04:50
A friend from Australia suggested this to me... Unmarried Partners (de facto)

Requirements
In order to apply for the de facto visa you must meet the following basic rules:

• Both of you have been living together for two years in a relationship similar to marriage. This does not mean that you have to have been in the UK for the past two years; and

• Your partner needs to be legally present and settled in the UK , or being admitted for settlement with you; and

• There must be a legal reason why you cannot marry one another. Such reasons would be that one or both of you are still married to someone else and are going through divorce, or that the relationship is same sex.

The visa
If you have been living together outside of the UK for the past four years, you may be admitted to the UK for an indefinite period. For those applicants meeting the first item above, you may apply for a two year visa.

Staying further
Once you have completed the two years, you may then apply for full residency (ILR).

Any views bout this?

For my case, there is a legal reason why we cant marry coz my annulment is still on going.

He is legally present & settled in UK ( British Citizen)

Well we have been living together similar to marriage since 2003, I can argue the fact that not all married couples stay with each other in a year right? someone has to work & the work will sometimes be outside the country right? I know, coz my dad works as a seaman...he works 6 months on a ship then 2 months here for vacation. Same with my fiance he goes back to England to work & save then comes back here for 4 months.

We are bit tired of waiting for my annulment... freaking system! there's not even a guarantee of being void & annulled. :bigcry: :cwm23:

We just want to explore other alternatives...and this sounds ok.

Any advice will be much appreciated. :BouncyHappy: