PDA

View Full Version : True cost of moving to the Phils

stevewool
21st February 2015, 20:19
There are a few members who have just made the move and even more who made the move a long time ago.

What I am asking here is, what are the extra costs that are involved in making the move??

The visa cost and the police check and everything else that you have had to do?

I do not need to know the rent or the food bills - these are everyday contingencies.

Also, do I need to start the process even before we know the date we are going? Like, if we go on a long holiday, I know I can stay for 1 year as Em's husband. So after that date, could I just stay there and do all I have to do there, rather then leaving and doing everything back here?

Hope you understand!

Terpe
22nd February 2015, 00:42
Steve,
Yes, you can enter with your wife and stay under Balikbayan Privilege for 1 year.
If you want to secure permanent resident status anytime during that year you can do so by paying P44k to the immigration lawyers who will secure all needed documentation and submit the application.

Alternatively, you could secure your 13a permanent residency visa from the Philippine Embassy. Visit their website for the forms and needed documentations. The total costs aren't easy to define simply because of the varying costs for medical evidence etc. The costs involved for Police Clearance Certificates and legalisation of other documents are not too great. Mine cost about £300 all told for Police Clearance, marriage certificate and proof of income. The majority of the costs go on the whole legalisation process.

The route I took was to secure all needed legalised documents and then submit the application after arrival in the Philippines. Lots of reasons why that worked better for me.
Well hopefully as I still didn't submit. :Cuckoo:
My documents remain valid for 6 months and now that we finally received my wife's NSO birth certificate (delivered just last night at 6pm by courier) we'll be going to the immigration office next week.

Worst case scenario for me if things don't work as planned is leave the country before expiry of my BB 1 year stay for a holiday and return with the wife under a second BB 1 year stay. Then give P44k to the immigration lawyer to secure all needed UK docs and submit the application all over again.

All in all the costs of relocating visa-wise are insignificant when taken against the total costs of actually moving yourselves and your belongings :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, most of the documentary support has a validity limit. You'd need to check the individual documents to know but generally 6 months.
BTW if you apply for Police Clearance more than once within 6 months they just issue a copy of what you had before and dated at the original request date. Means it could have very little remaining validity.

Hope it helps a little

joebloggs
22nd February 2015, 01:24
and proof of income.

What's the minimum income you need Peter? I think for Thailand its $2000 USd a month - which is pretty high for your average Joebloggs (seeing as I don't think you can work or run a business). :cwm25: I think I've seen for the Phils its a pension of at least $1k a month ?

fred
22nd February 2015, 01:42
What's the minimum income you need Peter? I think for Thailand its $2000 USd a month - which is pretty high for your average Joebloggs (seeing as I don't think you can work or run a business). :cwm25: I think I've seen for the Phils its a pension of at least $1k a month ?

My "Proof of income" was sketchy at best as I had no real proof of income..Just some savings.
I mentioned this to the Philippine Consul that interviewed me.. He said dont worry about it and that he had never once heard of a refusal to any applicant on financial grounds!
Things may have changed but I doubt it.
There is no social welfare here so its practically impossible to be a scrounger of local public funds!
Anyway..All Filipino`s know we foreigners are all stinking rich with secret bank accounts so whats the problem?:icon_lol:

I think I've seen for the Phils its a pension of at least $1k a month ?

No..Thats just an out dated estimate by foreigners on how much it costs to live here like a King!

Terpe
22nd February 2015, 03:08

There's no legally defined income threshold under immigration rules, however it appears that these days most BI offices are loosely basing their proof of income limits on the SRRV requirements which say that a couple should have a combined pension income of at least US$1,000 per month. Those applicants who can't meet the income requirement could still qualify by showing savings of around US$20,000 or more

As a footnote I should say that I've personally never yet seen any report of anyone being refused a 13a solely on monthly financials. Although I don't know how they would react if only very little income could be shown and zero savings etc.

As an aside based solely on my experience so far and considering the lifestyle we have (and want) I wouldn't want to be facing a future retirement life on an income less than $1000. Yes, of course it's possible, and if push came to shove I could do it and live OK. I'm saying for me it's not what I want. I want to travel around, eat and what I want and enjoy a cold beer whenever.
I want to eat out if the mood takes me and I want internet etc etc and not have to count every piso to stay within a tight budget. We're all different.

$1000 is about P44k right.
If you rent a place it's going to be tight.
Even owning your own house with no rent to pay wouldn't give me the life I want.

stevewool
22nd February 2015, 08:55
No..Thats just an out dated estimate by foreigners on how much it costs to live here like a King![/QUOTE]

Thats so funny, it made me laugh out loud, ,, are we members of another forum hahahah

stevewool
22nd February 2015, 09:05
As an aside based solely on my experience so far and considering the lifestyle we have (and want) I wouldn't want to be facing a future retirement life on an income less than $1000. Yes, of course it's possible, and if push came to shove I could do it and live OK. I'm saying for me it's not what I want. I want to travel around, eat and what I want and enjoy a cold beer whenever.
I want to eat out if the mood takes me and I want internet etc etc and not have to count every piso to stay within a tight budget. We're all different.

Even owning your own house with no rent to pay wouldn't give me the life I want.[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest question everyone must ask and we are all different, some can live on less some need more,
Most know my plan and some of it is tonged in cheek stuff, but i will have over that amount if i go know, but also i know out of that amount Ems will have a budget to run the house the rest will be for the extras, the trips, the going out to meet friends and the just in case too,
Savings well that will be more then you would ever want,
But knowing what you may have and even what you have for the just in case, its still very very frightening to say lets go,
Having always worked all my life and having a weekly or monthly wage coming in to suddenly not having to get up at a time and coming home at a time to pleasing yourself and having to plan your cash till you get use to it , well its frightening

Michael Parnham
22nd February 2015, 09:09
There's no legally defined income threshold under immigration rules, however it appears that these days most BI offices are loosely basing their proof of income limits on the SRRV requirements which say that a couple should have a combined pension income of at least US$1,000 per month. Those applicants who can't meet the income requirement could still qualify by showing savings of around US$20,000 or more

As a footnote I should say that I've personally never yet seen any report of anyone being refused a 13a solely on monthly financials. Although I don't know how they would react if only very little income could be shown and zero savings etc.

Even owning your own house with no rent to pay wouldn't give me the life I want.

Maritess and I managed very well on approx. p53k a month and whilst renting a brand new apartment at p8k per month we still managed to save almost £400 per month after shopping, ferries, transport and utility bills. We never ate out very often because we cooked at home and we don't drink, also managed to pay my immigration fee every two months, so as far as I'm concerned one can live very well on a small amount. I know this doesn't answer Steve's question as I paid my fees every two months, for those that want to travel just save less if you already have a substantial amount saved. I would live in Philippines if there was a national health service, I have no health problems but my age is the thing I think about now!:Erm:

stevewool
22nd February 2015, 09:23
We are all different in what we think we need, some of us will have enough in money, but its the health that many will worry,
If something happened lets hope that we have enough for the just in case,
The National Heath Service well thats another matter, maybe in a good few years time it will be the INSURANCE HEALTH SERVICE, just my thoughts

imagine
22nd February 2015, 10:54
Steve,

varying costs for medical evidence etc.:Erm: i was never asked for any medical evidence , is this new ?

Terpe
22nd February 2015, 11:58
varying costs for medical evidence etc.:Erm: i was never asked for any medical evidence , is this new ?

Stewart, that only applies to applications made in UK at the Embassy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
22nd February 2015, 13:09
Stewart, that only applies to applications made in UK at the Embassy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ah ok thank you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
22nd February 2015, 13:20
Maritess and I managed very well on approx. p53k a month and whilst renting a brand new apartment at p8k per month we still managed to save almost £400 per month after shopping, ferries, transport and utility bills. We never ate out very often because we cooked at home and we don't drink, also managed to pay my immigration fee every two months, so as far as I'm concerned one can live very well on a small amount. I know this doesn't answer Steve's question as I paid my fees every two months, for those that want to travel just save less if you already have a substantial amount saved. I would live in Philippines if there was a national health service, I have no health problems but my age is the thing I think about now!:Erm:

I don't doubt your numbers one bit Michael.
We all have different lifestyles.
For me I really doubt I could be content on that budget. I'm a hardcore seafood foodie.
Seafood here is cheap, but not cheap enough to manage on the budget you managed on.
Absolutely no offence or disrespect intended at all. My point was simply intended to reflect what I want in my retirement life.

Longweekend
22nd February 2015, 13:28
We are looking to retire in France as PI is just too far away from our 3 x children....

Terpe
22nd February 2015, 13:34
We are looking to retire in France as PI is just too far away from our 3 x children....

I lived and worked in France for some years.
Well Alsace actually.
I admit to loving France, the language, the landscape and most of all the foods.

Michael Parnham
22nd February 2015, 13:40
I don't doubt your numbers one bit Michael.
We all have different lifestyles.
For me I really doubt I could be content on that budget. I'm a hardcore seafood foodie.
Seafood here is cheap, but not cheap enough to manage on the budget you managed on.
Absolutely no offence or disrespect intended at all. My point was simply intended to reflect what I want in my retirement life.

I understand where your coming from and appreciate your opinion Peter, I'm the type of person that's easy to please for instance, as long as I've got my home comforts and my home and surroundings are clean and safe I have nothing to worry about and I try to plan life and budget at least two or three months in advance if at all possible and whilst living in Philippines I soon learnt that Filipino's do the absolute opposite, Maritess and I had conflicting opinions about life and we soon learnt from each other and had great fun in doing so!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
22nd February 2015, 13:44

I too was thinking that, but I think the cost would be just like living here in England, so if I wanted to stay at work for another 10 years this would be fine. But I don't so the Phils is the place, I THINK! :Erm:

joebloggs
22nd February 2015, 13:51
I too was thinking that, but I think the cost would be just like living here in England, so if I wanted to stay at work for another 10 years this would be fine. But i don't, so the Phils is the place, I THINK! :Erm:

Years away for me yet, but if the misses is not bothered about going back to the Phils, I would want to move to somewhere in the south of Europe. :cwm25:

the Phils is the place, I THINK! :Erm:

From your posts Steve, it looks like you've got some doubts, :anerikke: but that's only natural. At least you're thinking about it and making plans. :wink:

stevewool
22nd February 2015, 14:00
I think we all have doubts about anything this big, and I know I will have to rely on Ems for a long time. But hey, that's why we married each other so we can rely on one another.

There have been lots of plans made already but they do involve other people. And that's where my doubts lie Joe!

But I am making other plans that only involve myself and Ems.
It's going to be an adventure for both of us, and I know Ems will be pleased just making her dad safe and happy

You know I am always asking questions. Some may seem silly to others, but I do want to try and know all there is to know before I fall flat on my face by not asking.

Longweekend
22nd February 2015, 14:06
We lived there for a number of years and even though we were kept busy while building a business up, things just got to me. When I go back now for a holiday and stay for 3 x weeks that's fine but don't think I could go back to full time living there. Things just ground me down in the end.....

Michael Parnham
22nd February 2015, 14:06
At the moment, Maritess is swaying towards staying in England but it's early days yet. The only thing she misses in Philippines is being with her family. And three of her sisters with certain job qualifications are considering applying for work here. If any of them were successful, she will definitely stay in the UK! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
22nd February 2015, 14:08
I think we all have doubts about anything this big, and I know I will have to rely on Ems for a long time. But hey, that's why we married each other - so we can rely on one another.

There have been lots of plans made already but they do involve other people, and that's where my doubts lie Joe!

But I am making other plans that only involve myself and Ems.

It's going to be an adventure for both of us, and I know Ems will be pleased just making her dad safe and happy.

You know I am always asking questions. Some may seem silly to others, but I do want to try and know all there is to know before I fall flat on my face by not asking.

Good thinking Steve. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
22nd February 2015, 14:17
I don't know how you can put a figure on the true cost. Like has been said, we all have different lifestyles. For example, Terpe lives in a big city and it's much cheaper if you live in the provinces. I'm sure, for instance, Imagine could get away with living more cheaply.

Terpe
22nd February 2015, 14:46
I don't know how you can put a figure on the true cost. Like has been said, we all have different lifestyles. For example, Terpe lives in a big city and it's much cheaper if you live in the provinces. I'm sure, for instance, Imagine could get away with living more cheaply.

Yes Andy, that's true.
Although Davao City covers a huge area and we live in a pretty small village within the greater city limits or land area.
Nevertheless, the price of most stuff here is at least twice the cost of the same stuff in my wife's home town out there in the Davao Oriental province.
For that reason we often have visiting friends and family bring different dry goods with them.
One of our friends visits quite often and brings fresh tuna and shrimp for us at silly silly low prices.
If we had followed our original plan to live out in the sticks in my wife's home town we could easily live the life of kings on P25k monthly and still afford to travel around.
Davao City is significantly cheaper than Manila.

imagine
22nd February 2015, 14:48
Most of my spending has been on our building project.

Because of this, I compromise by doing without luxuries, until we get income from the project.

The cost of living here for such as me is cheap, but only if you have UK cash.

I learnt to think in peso, the things I thought were cheap before, I see now as expensive, because I do not calculate how much items are, peso to sterling.

We can live and do live quite reasonably. Lolita's food is cheap, but I up the cost by buying what I can in imported food, like Kellog's Cornflakes, UK corned beef, etc. Still, it's not bad!

The greatest expense is my medicine for injection. One is around 12,000 peso the other is 2,500 peso.

Plus costs to apply the injections at the hospital - but only about 200 peso and includes gloves and syringe.

My doctor's consultation fee is 250 to 300 peso, but he doesnt always charge me. This is every 3 months.

Presciption drugs and asprin are cheap. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Omeprozol about 1,000 peso for 30 pieces. Then soon, I will need to buy magnesium (this one to be taken 3 times a day). I don't know the cost yet. The others are one per day, so meds can be expensive.

I experienced a hospital stay, 2 nights, paid for by my wife's Phil Health. Just a little extra charged to me because i wanted a private room. I think it was 500 peso.

Now both from my hospital stay and the 3-monthly visits to hospital, my experience is, that the nurses, though very gwapa, are not highly trained like in UK.

I would advise that any meds brought to you during a stay, should be double-checked either by yoursef or your wife before taking. When Lolita was in for a few days, she was given somebody else's medicine. Luckily we realised before the took it.

3-monthly injections: For one of the injections a female nurse must wear gloves, and must not get the liquid on her skin. I had to tell one nurse, as I realised she had no gloves on and she'd already got liquid on her skin. I just took for granted they should know. Ater this incident, I now tell them before proceeding.

stevewool
22nd February 2015, 15:00
Would you be doing the same if you were here? The hospital and meds, I mean.