PDA

View Full Version : Fifty Years Ago ...

Arthur Little
21st February 2015, 00:36
... 20 February, 1965 was the date on which I'd occasion to meet my first wife, Iris. Like most romantic encounters of that particular era, ours took place on the dance floor of a small hotel called 'York House' (which still exists in name - but has long since been transformed into a nightclub) in my adopted city of Perth.

Anyway, our eyes met, :luv4: we danced together for the rest of the evening, I walked her home and asked her out to the cinema the following Wednesday evening - the first of many dates - got engaged :WED1MarryMe02HL1: mid-way between our respective birthdays [BOTH September] in 1966 and wed :wedtoss: 15 months' later on December 15th 1967.

Iris and I's marriage lasted for 24 happy years - during which we raised two children, Fiona [now 45] and Alastair (Ally) [now 43] each of whom, I'm pleased to say, has happily turned out to be a credit to us - before Iris unfortunately succumbed to Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, complicated by septicaemia, on December 18, 1991.

If this account bores readers, then I'm sorry ...:anerikke: ... but I couldn't simply allow this special anniversary to pass without mention.

Anyway, I've been extremely fortunate in my choice of marital partners ... and (as I never tire of telling anyone who'll listen!) in Myrna I have ANOTHER real gem. :biggrin:

Rosie1958
21st February 2015, 01:47
Bless you, Arthur! How very romantic of you to have remembered the exact date you met your beloved first wife; she clearly made a very lasting impression on you :heartshape1: Congratulations on that very special day! My partner (who was born in 1965) is the same too and never forgets a special date :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
21st February 2015, 02:05
So lovely to read your kind observation, Rosie ... :thankyou:

Nice too, to learn that your own partner was born in that paricular year and is also blessed with a good memory for birthdays, anniversaries and the like. :smile:

Terpe
21st February 2015, 06:56
Thanks for sharing that special anniversay with us here Arthur. It's a lovely memory.

You're a lucky man Arthur to have been blessed with two joyous partnerships.

stevewool
21st February 2015, 08:40
Memories Arthur, we all have them great ones, sad ones, some we would like to forget ones too, but most always brings a smile to our faces, so with you sharing yours, it brought a smile to mine too,
Thankyou

Michael Parnham
21st February 2015, 09:38
You seem to have had and still having a wonderful life Arthur, keep it up because you're a fine example to the younger generation of today, well done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
21st February 2015, 10:03
Clearly a very special anniversary Arthur, and no reader should be bored to read your thread :smile:.

I'm fortunate to have met you and Myrna, and wish you many more years of health and happiness :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Anne2014
21st February 2015, 12:08
What a very romantic story. Thanks for sharing this to us. Not boring at all. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
21st February 2015, 12:21
A nice wee story Arth. Thanks for sharing. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
21st February 2015, 13:52
Not boring at all, nice to read and you do bring sunshine to this Forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
21st February 2015, 14:16
Sure isn't boring,

I can't think of anyone more deserving to have found that special partner twice over. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Some go through life unlucky and unhappy with their relationships.

Dedworth
21st February 2015, 17:03
A nice read Arthur - penned by a true gent :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
21st February 2015, 17:41
A nice memory from a thoughtful man. Great reading Arthur. You have been very lucky to have married two great women.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
22nd February 2015, 15:15
Heartfelt thanks to each & every one who has read and replied to this thread of mine ... ALL :grouphug: of your lovely comments have truly made my day ... :68711_thanx:

fred
22nd February 2015, 15:52
:NEW5:

Just joking Art!! :icon_lol:

Great story and not boring at all!!
Thanks for sharing your very personal and special memory! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
22nd February 2015, 15:54
Not boring at all, nice to read and you do bring sunshine to this Forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedhoqYdfTM

Arthur Little
22nd February 2015, 16:39
:NEW5:

:laugher:

Just joking Art!! :icon_lol:

:laughitupsmilie: ... yes, I knew you were, Fred. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Great story and not boring at all!!

:yeahthat:'s reassuring ... glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing your very personal and special memory!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:olddude:... pleasure's mine, mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedhoqYdfTM

Ah ... Eric & Ernie; well ... :anerikke: ... now's as good a time as any to express my personal appreciation of the :sunshine: your :joke:s' thread regularly brings to the forum too.

fred
22nd February 2015, 17:12
Ah ... Eric & Ernie; well ... :anerikke: ... now's as good a time as any to express my personal appreciation of the :sunshine: your :joke:s' thread regularly brings to the forum too.

Which reminds me...I`m late again with the joke thread much like last year!!:doh
I must be getting old!

Rory
18th March 2015, 17:05
I loved your story Arthur, your memory is a lot better than mine and I was not even born when you first set eyes on Iris across the dance floor.

Arthur Little
19th March 2015, 02:37
I loved your story Arthur, your memory is a lot better than mine and I was not even born when you first set eyes on Iris across the dance floor.

:wink: ... shows I must be getting old! :olddude: ... how touching though, Rory, to read such a splendid tribute from someone who wasn't even born when I met my first wife ... yet a person whom I found myself sitting alongside - and conversing with - at our most enjoyable social event organised by Alan at Scarborough all those years later, :68711_thanx: