PDA

View Full Version : Off to the Phils in 2 months (I have questions)

\\\\ToNy////
2nd February 2015, 14:53
This will be my third time there. :smile: The first time I was there I got fever a week before I left and was off work for one week when I returned.

The second time I was there I got fever and was nearly vomiting in the first week. Second week I was ok. Third week, fever and again nearly vomiting.

Could this be because of the heat? Or because I brushed my teeth with tap water? Or because I need to drink as much bottled water as I can?

Or is it because I didn't get any jabs?

I've got an appointment with the nurse at my doctor's surgery. What free jabs should I ask for?

The place I'm going to is Cabanatuan in the North Philippines. It is in the countryside.

Terpe
2nd February 2015, 15:24
Drinking or eating contaminated water or foods generally causes diarrhoeal conditions which may or may not include fever and vomiting.
Since you didn't mention diarrhoea at all, you might have suffered heatstroke.
It's really important to make sure you don't get overheated and dehydrated.

Heatstroke can easily result from exertion or over exposure in hot environments combined with inadequate fluid intake or even too much alcohol.

Did you see a doctor at all when this happened before?

tiger31
2nd February 2015, 15:49
Maybe dengue fever, but brushing teeth with tap water won,t help. I was there 4 years and never put tap water near my mouth. Always used purified drinking water.

imagine
2nd February 2015, 17:06
I do use the tap water to brush teeth.

I do not drink tap water, I do not eat food that has been cooked in tap water.

I'm careful what I eat when out - like drinks with ice and any restaurant food I think may have used tap water for cooking, for example, rice.

Drink plenty of bottled water. I keep away from street bottles which have been refilled with supposedly filtered water. Don't just trust that any food eating places or restaurants have used bottled water - even if they say it is bottled.

Injections: If not had, you'd be wise to have a typhoid injection. If you're going to be out in the country, then take 'Malarone' tablets. They are expensive but there's less chance of side effects. But before buying, check with doctor or pharmacy advice on what brand is safe for your personal health record,

Restaurants, hotels etc. The plates and eating utensils are often wet with water particles which will be from the tap. Wipe dry before use.

Hope your experience is a better one this time! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
2nd February 2015, 17:51
I was ill when I returned last year.

Didn't go down well at work, was off for 6 weeks in Philippines. Back to work for one day then off sick for one week :yikes:

imagine
3rd February 2015, 10:56
Hygiene is very low in most places where you eat, I've seen some of the kitchens here, just be aware and careful.

Most doctor surgeries - where there are nurses - can give free advice on the injections you will need, or even the chemist/ pharmacy,

Check out this link for useful information:

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/philippines.aspx#immunisations

stevewool
3rd February 2015, 20:46
My last trip, I was poorly for a good few days. I think it was some water or ice that got me. I felt great all the time, but my :action-smiley-081: was sore

\\\\ToNy////
3rd February 2015, 22:13
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks for that guys. I've made a note of all that and I'll steer clear of any drinks that have ice etc in them. I'll take my own bottled water if I go for a meal anywhere and drink canned pop or fruit juice for treats.

Don't think I had diarrrhoea when I was there and didn't ask the doctor about it when I was back in the UK. I just thought it was a cold or flu. I did ask my doctor if I could have a test for malaria but the doctor said, "why are you asking me these things?" I said I was bitten a lot while I was sleeping. He's not my normal doctor and I do try to avoid him if my doctor isn't available.

The first time I came back from the Phils I kept getting colds every month and it was taking 3 weeks at a time to get rid of them. Drove me bananas!

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2015, 13:17
Probably dengue fever due to your being bitten. Use mosquito spray next time or cover yourself in Vicks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
4th February 2015, 13:26
Probably dengue fever due to you being bitten. Use mosquito spray next time or cover yourself in Vicks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Could be canned pop or fruit juice?

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2015, 13:31
It could be the air conditioning. I was ill on my first trip over but it was flu-like symptoms and no sickness or trips to the bathroom.

imagine
4th February 2015, 13:37
Maybe :Erm: you were lovesick! :foudamour: :biggrin:

\\\\ToNy////
4th February 2015, 19:22
Had 3 injections today for typhoid, tetanus, polio, diphtheria, and hepatitis A + B and need to get these from the chemist.. Chloroquine? or Proguanil? Hard to read the nurse's writing. Malaria tablets.

Question: So is it not good to eat shomai from the mall? I like them, but they are probably steamed with tap water

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2015, 21:03
Had 3 injections today for typhoid, tetanus, polio, diphtheria, and hepatitis A + B and need to get these from the chemist.. Chloroquine? or Proguanil? Hard to read the nurse's writing. Malaria tablets.

Question: So is it not good to eat shomai from the mall? I like them, but they are probably steamed with tap waterYup, they're the cheap one's and come together in the same packet.

Personally I don't think it's something you've eaten or drunk seeing you didn't suffer the craps.

fred
5th February 2015, 01:12
When we first came here this trip the kids had fevers,colds etc etc..I even had to take them to the hospital to get them checked out for Dengue et all..
I put it down to the vast climate change..For some people it takes time to adjust.
No way did you have Dengue or Malaria IMO.. (Malaria is pretty rare here)
Take mossy spray with you (containing DEET) and use it before dusk EVERY evening.
Supermarket spring water is good if you are only there for a week or two..
We have a trusted water purified outlet that we use and buy 50 Gallons at a time for home consumption.

Terpe
5th February 2015, 01:37
I agree 100% with Fred.
I still think heat stroke.

Think carefully about taking those malaria tablets as many folks suffer some side effects.
Personally I very much doubt you'll need them. As always it's a personal choice.
You definitely didn't have malaria on previous visits IMO

fred
5th February 2015, 02:04
I agree 100% with Fred.

Think carefully about taking those malaria tablets as many folks suffer some side effects.
Personally I very much doubt you'll need them. As always it's a personal choice.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
7th February 2015, 23:08
Keep out of the sun (share a brolly with your lady) drink only bottled water from the supermarket (and plenty of it) the injections you've had are fine, just remember to look around you and you can see how filthy places are. I've visited many Filipino houses over the years and it won't bother them if they see a rat in the house they just chase it out and think nothing of it and there are babies and children living in these places. Beautiful country but lots of shocks around the corner! :Erm:

Michael Parnham
7th February 2015, 23:11
I agree 100% with Fred.

Talking about Malaria, this trip was the first time I never had a single mozzy bite :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
8th February 2015, 02:15
Tony, you know I only live a stone's throw away from Elizabeth's house. No way also was it dengue or malaria. As has been said heatstroke was the reason. I remember when we met you looked like a freshly cooked lobster. You need to take more care to stay out of the sun at all costs and wear long shirts and light weight trousers.

I will not drink from unknown sources but drink our well water and I take ice from most places. You just need to think first. Get a bit street wise. I am sure Liz's family are not out to kill you, so forget all the worry and enjoy your time. Just take Imodium for the first few days if you get the squirts with the change of environment. Don't forget to come over to ours this time. I should be here still.

\\\\ToNy////
11th February 2015, 23:25
Thanks everyone. Yes, probably heat stroke - was getting to 40c in the house - so I tried to stay in my room with the aircon on.

Yes Steve, I was feeling unwell before I went pink, lol. We all went to the beach even though I wasn't feeling well. I didn't want to miss out! The wife wouldn't let me keep my t-shirt on in the sea and ignored me when I was calling her for sun cream. Oh the joys of married life! Hehe.

We will come and visit you Steve; how many miles is it to your place there?

At the moment, my immune system seems to be a bit weak. I had a cold on Xmas Eve and was starting to get rid of it a month later, when I caught another one within a week of the wife. :doh

I've been trying to get to the gym since Xmas to try and make my immune system stronger and sort my back and neck pains. Three times I've even assembled my mountain bike to go out then, before I get it out the door, it's raining! :bigcry:

Oh ... and is it normal that my one arm is still painful and aching from the injections nearly 2 weeks on?

\\\\ToNy////
5th April 2015, 01:38
Arrived in the Phils last week. They had already got me some (bestline) water in a big blue container. It smelled and tasted like sewage but I was dehydrated from the flight. Soon after, I had stomach cramps and diarrhoea. So the wife got me 6 ltr of absolute and now 6 ltr summit, about 68 peso each. In 1 week I've drank about 25-30 litres of water and juices etc. Is this enough?

I brush my teeth and wash my face with bottled water, and if I have coffee etc, it's bottled water. But when eating rice it's wth tap water, and when we visit relatives houses they dunk 5 kg of rice on my plate lol, pretty sure it's steamed with tap water. Was worried about this, but no diarrhoea. Have had a sore throat and feeling like I have a cold, but I'm sure I got this off the wife even though she said she had no cold. But I could smell this dodgy smell on her breath for one day, and I said to her, "I'll have a cold in 2 or 3 days", and like magic, I have a cold lol.

Anyway having a great time and worried about this storm we are about to have

London_Manila
5th April 2015, 02:56
Arrived in the Phils last week. They had already got me some (bestline) water in a big blue container. It smelled and tasted like sewage but I was dehydrated from the flight. Soon after, I had stomach cramps and diarrhoea. So the wife got me 6 ltr of absolute and now 6 ltr summit, about 68 peso each. In 1 week I've drank about 25-30 litres of water and juices etc. Is this enough?

I brush my teeth and wash my face with bottled water, and if I have coffee etc, it's bottled water. But when eating rice it's wth tap water, and when we visit relatives houses they dunk 5 kg of rice on my plate lol, pretty sure it's steamed with tap water. Was worried about this, but no diarrhoea. Have had a sore throat and feeling like I have a cold, but I'm sure I got this off the wife even though she said she had no cold. But I could smell this dodgy smell on her breath for one day, and I said to her, "I'll have a cold in 2 or 3 days", and like magic, I have a cold, lol.

Anyway, having a great time and worried about this storm we are about to have

Brushing my teeth with tap water never hurt me over there

Buy bottled water from a shop and avoid the local stuff delivered in massive blue containers

Sorry, I don't trust them when it comes to water deliveries

Use a good anti-bacterial hand-cleaner every time you get home from going out

Be careful what you are eating and especially where it has come from.

Don't just stick to drinking water, drink other liquids; also Coca Cola and juices are fine

Personally I dont drink much water over there except boiled water for my tea

\\\\ToNy////
5th April 2015, 03:33
I know what you mean, anyone can fill them blue containers with tap water and put a seal on it, been getting my water from the mall supermarket and other drinks, I love the coconut mogu mogu drinks.

I take my anti-bacterial hand gel everywhere

Steve.r
5th April 2015, 03:53
Too much coconut juice will make you have the runs too Tony, so be careful about that. We do have 3 CR's in our house, but I don't want you blocking them all please :biggrin:

SimonH
5th April 2015, 05:23
Replace half of your water intake with SM and you'll feel much better :xxgrinning--00xx3:

\\\\ToNy////
5th April 2015, 06:32
No worries Steve, only have one 320 ml bottle a day if I'm lucky lol. What's SM? Beer? ☺

imagine
5th April 2015, 06:32
Brushing my teeth with tap water never hurt me over there

Buy bottled water from a shop and avoid the local stuff delivered in massive blue containers

Sorry, I don't trust them when it comes to water deliveries

Use a good anti-bacterial hand-cleaner every time you get home from going out

Be careful what you are eating and especially where it has come from

Don't just stick to drinking water, drink other liquids; also Coca Cola and juices are fine

Personally I don't drink much water over there except boiled water for my tea

Don't boil the tap water, no matter how many times you boil it, it makes no difference

SimonH
5th April 2015, 06:55
No worries Steve, only have one 320 ml bottle a day if I'm lucky lol. Whats SM? Beer? ☺

San Miguel :Beer:

grahamw48
5th April 2015, 10:30
Don't forget you are more likely to pick up colds and other bugs from the 300 people with whom you are sharing the recirculated air on your way over on the plane.

If you are always hiding from every local bug in the Phils, you will never build up any immunity to them.

I have been visiting the Phils and living there for extended periods in the city and province for the past 25 years, and only once had a bad case of the runs. That was on my very first trip.

Boil water for 15 minutes if you're doubtful about its purity, and try to eat more home-cooked food.
Above all, try not to become paranoid about such things. That will really spoil your stay...and be insulting to your hosts.

Michael Parnham
5th April 2015, 11:26
Don't forget you are more likely to pick up colds and other bugs from the 300 people with whom you are sharing the recirculated air on your way over on the plane.

If you are always hiding from every local bug in the Phils, you will never build up any immunity to them.

I have been visiting the Phils and living there for extended periods in the city and province for the past 25 years, and only once had a bad case of the runs. That was on my very first trip.

Boil water for 15 minutes if you're doubtful about its purity, and try to eat more home-cooked food.
Above all, try not to become paranoid about such things. That will really spoil your stay...and be insulting to your hosts.

Good simple advice! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
5th April 2015, 12:30
Too much coconut juice will make you have the runs too Tony, so careful about that. We do have 3 CR's in our house, but I don't want you blocking them all please :biggrin:So does pure orange juice :yikes: but I'm not sure if it's readily available over there. Used to drink about two pints a day of it during summer but I've cut down now for obvious reasons.

jake
5th April 2015, 13:46

Good advice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
5th April 2015, 13:51
Thanks...and for the rep Jake. :wink:

London_Manila
6th April 2015, 02:32
Don't boil the tap water, no matter how many times you boil it, it makes no difference

Boiled bottled water, I have to boil the water to make my tea

Michael Parnham
6th April 2015, 08:16
Whilst living in Philippines never had any problems with tap water for boiling to make tea or cleaning teeth, always drank bottled water even the big bottles that were delivered never had any problem with that either! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

irishman12
6th April 2015, 22:17

Not sure what you mean by that? Of course boiling water makes a difference - boiling water to 100% kills all bacteria

imagine
7th April 2015, 09:15
Not sure what you mean by that? Of course boiling water makes a difference - boiling water to 100% kills all bacteria

That's the words of my doctor here, that I should not drink tap water at all,

I asked, "what if it's boiled?" His words: "No matter how many times you boil the water it will still not be safe for you to drink". I didn't ask anymore on that.

Yes, boiling does kill bacteria, but it doesn't boil away the high mineral content, which can, I believe, give you stones, and it certainly wouldn't boil away pollutants. So this is what I will assume the doctor was referring to.

The brother-in-law was diagnosed with kidney stones just a few weeks ago, he was told not to drink the tap water any more.

In any case, even boiled and if it had low mineral content, I still wouldn't drink it, when I've seen all the polutants that the people dump in the rivers. Washing clothes and bathing, does put me off just the same

imagine
7th April 2015, 09:25
I know what you mean, anyone can fill them blue containers with tap water and put a seal on it, been getting my water from the mall supermarket and other drinks, I love the coconut mogu mogu drinks.

I take my anti-bacterial hand gel everywhere

My 1st 3 months in Manila I did feel unwell at times, due to the heat, and adjustment to food.

With the heat, the dehydration, I had to combat, I took water with me everywhere. I also found a drink called Gaterade, it is very good for coping with dehydration, and is a pleasant drink, in different flavours you can get in most supermarkets. I recommend it, worth you trying :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
8th April 2015, 20:32
This thread was first posted while I myself was in the Philippines, and in the meantime, helpful advice has been given by several members :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Have a look at post 8 in this thread :-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines?p=492550#post492550

There’s some evidence that allergies are more common nowadays because of more limited childhood exposure to " bugs ". Active immunity can be acquired by natural disease and by vaccination. The two mechanisms complement each other – it’s not possible or desirable to become immune " naturally " to every disease, as some ( like rabies and hepatitis B ) are too serious. Immunity is explained in this thread :-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/46110-How-s-your-immunity

I know of no good evidence that kidney stones are caused by local water issues, either " hard " or " soft " water. Most stones contain calcium, and are commoner in men than women. The main cause is INSUFFICIENT water – when the urine is concentrated, so they more commonly form in dehydration, warm climates, or at high altitude. The precise mechanism why they form is actually not known – except in a small number of cases where there is an underlying medical condition, as a side-effect of medicines, and there may be a family history. There is more information here :-

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/kidney-stones

imagine
9th April 2015, 03:34
This thread was first posted while I myself was in the Philippines, and in the meantime, helpful advice has been given by several members :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Have a look at post 8 in this thread :-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines?p=492550#post492550

There’s some evidence that allergies are more common nowadays because of more limited childhood exposure to " bugs ". Active immunity can be acquired by natural disease and by vaccination. The two mechanisms complement each other – it’s not possible or desirable to become immune " naturally " to every disease, as some ( like rabies and hepatitis B ) are too serious. Immunity is explained in this thread :-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/46110-How-s-your-immunity

I know of no good evidence that kidney stones are caused by local water issues, either " hard " or " soft " water. Most stones contain calcium, and are commoner in men than women. The main cause is INSUFFICIENT water – when the urine is concentrated, so they more commonly form in dehydration, warm climates, or at high altitude. The precise mechanism why they form is actually not known – except in a small number of cases where there is an underlying medical condition, as a side-effect of medicines, and there may be a family history. There is more information here :-

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/kidney-stones

thanks Doc Alan, for enlightenment on kidney-stones :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
15th May 2016, 00:24
Was "ill" for a short time on my last trip over although it was very mild flu. Not sure what the cause was - perhaps it was the AC again. This made me ill on a trip to the Phils in 2011 - and I'm hardly ever poorly.

Michael Parnham
15th May 2016, 06:29
Was "ill" for a short time on my last trip over although it was very mild flu. Not sure what the cause was - perhaps it was the AC again. This made me ill on a trip to the Phils in 2011 - and I'm hardly ever poorly.

Air con not good at all as most of the air con units are never maintained regularly :Erm:

jonnijon
15th May 2016, 22:45
My thoughts are the humidity here is the cause of a lot of chest complaints. Perhaps Doc will put me right on that.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
16th May 2016, 19:28
My thoughts are the humidity here is the cause of a lot of chest complaints. Perhaps Doc will put me right on that.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Humidity is a measure of water vapour in the air. Relative humidity ( RH ) shows how close the air is to being saturated ( % water vapour, compared to how much there COULD be at that temperature ). Warm air can hold more water vapour than cold air. High RH is uncomfortable - near saturated air affects our body’s cooling mechanism of sweating and can’t evaporate the sweat from our skin. In prolonged heat and high RH, without precautions such as drinking enough water, heat exhaustion may occur and progress to heatstroke ( far more serious ).

Some warm areas, like the Sahara desert, have LOW RH - little available water to evaporate.

In cool temperatures, if RH is high that especially makes us cold, and shiver - the cold temperature of the air is conducted to the skin. RH in the UK may be high or low.

RH is LOW in aircraft cabins, which may cause dryness of the mucous membranes and skin. If passengers are otherwise fit and well, internal dehydration is not a problem, but alcohol and caffeine may dehydrate unless sufficient water ( or similar fluids ) are taken.

Although quality of aircraft cabin air is controlled, infection may be transmitted between passengers - usually by coughing, sneezing, or touching. Obviously unwell passengers, especially with fever, should delay travel until they have recovered.

In-flight medical emergencies are uncommon ( 1:600 flights in a recent study ) - most are related to fainting, respiratory symptoms, or nausea/vomiting. People with active chest infections, including TB, should be treated before flying - others, such as asthmatics and chronic bronchitics, should also be seen beforehand by their doctor.

Extremely hot OR cold temperatures may affect health - worsened by high RH. Heat stroke or hypothermia are NOT the only risks, which include existing cardiovascular, respiratory and other illnesses; some medications; and age ( elderly or very young ).

Heatwaves - periods of abnormally hot and usually humid weather, are among the most dangerous natural hazards. They appear to be increasingly frequent. Air conditioners - at home, work, or in vehicles - have advantages ( cooling and filtering out atmospheric pollutants ), but also disadvantages -low RH with mucous membrane irritation and breathing difficulties; perhaps also colds and chest infections including, uncommonly, Legionnaires’ disease/pneumonia.

Michael Parnham
16th May 2016, 20:33
A very informative post once again Alan, thank you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
16th May 2016, 20:55
A very informative post once again Alan, thank you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you in turn, Michael :smile:.

jonnijon
16th May 2016, 22:49
Thanks Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
17th May 2016, 04:15
Heatwaves - periods of abnormally hot and usually humid weather, are among the most dangerous natural hazards. They appear to be increasingly frequent. Air conditioners - at home, work, or in vehicles - have advantages ( cooling and filtering out atmospheric pollutants ), but also disadvantages -low RH with mucous membrane irritation and breathing difficulties; perhaps also colds and chest infections including, uncommonly, Legionnaires’ disease/pneumonia.

We are still in the extreme heat of this El Nino thing.. We have A/C here in this native house of ours but rarely turn it on as there is no need..
The way Filipino`s build houses here is crazy IMO.. Its similar to how I would design a solar oven.. Most of them are sick...Sick of high bills.

fred
17th May 2016, 04:16

We are still in the extreme heat of this El Nino thing.. We have A/C here in this native house of ours but rarely turn it on as there is no need..
The way Filipino`s build houses here is crazy IMO.. Its similar to how I would design a solar oven.. Most of them are sick...Sick of high bills.

Michael Parnham
17th May 2016, 06:11

Still no rain Fred?:Erm:

fred
17th May 2016, 06:23
It rained lightly yesterday for 5 mins..The soil sucked it up and then it evaporated!!!
Thanks for Rep.

grahamw48
17th May 2016, 10:08

The house I'll (hopefully soon) be building will have a thick layer of insulation under the roof for starters !

SimonH
17th May 2016, 10:22
The house I'll (hopefully soon) be building will have a thick layer of insulation under the roof for starters !

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to things like this, but am very curious as we'll be extending our house in the near future.
One thing I intend to do is replace the existing wooden trusses with metal ones to eliminate the potential problem with termites, but can you explain to me the advantage of insulation. In my mind, hot air rises and therefore any insulation will prevent heat loss, which is great here but surely the opposite of what we want in the Philippines :Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
17th May 2016, 13:38
It rained lightly yesterday for 5 mins..The soil sucked it up and then it evaporated!!!
Thanks for Rep.
June is the start of the rainy season but you guys in the Central Visayas probably don't see much of a difference do you because the deluges are confined to the northern half of the Philippines? Isn't Terpe in Manila now? If the drought continues perhaps he can send down some water. :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
17th May 2016, 13:47
I'm totally ignorant when it comes to things like this, but am very curious as we'll be extending our house in the near future.
One thing I intend to do is replace the existing wooden trusses with metal ones to eliminate the potential problem with termites, but can you explain to me the advantage of insulation. In my mind, hot air rises and therefore any insulation will prevent heat loss, which is great here but surely the opposite of what we want in the Philippines :Erm:

Someone I know built a house in Dumaguete to British standard and the cavity wall insulation and roof insulation worked a treat, kept the house cool the inside walls remained cold, he also used UPVC doors and windows also double glazing shipped from the UK:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
17th May 2016, 13:54
June is the start of the rainy season but you guys in the Central Visayas probably don't see much of a difference do you because the deluges are confined to the northern half of the Philippines? Isn't Terpe in Manila now? If the drought continues perhaps he can send down some water. :biggrin:

Mindanao is in serious problems with drought conditions.
Can't remember we had a decent downpour.

Here in QC we also haven't seen any rain since we arrived here May 6
Temperatures are significantly lower than we experienced in Davao.

The El Nino effect is predicated to end soon and be followed by La Nina.
Oh dear !!

grahamw48
17th May 2016, 15:23

Just about to shoot off to the airport to catch a plane to Manila ... but,

Insulation works both ways. It stops thermal transfer... whether heat (beating down on the roof, as in the tropics, or trying to exit via the roof, as in winter here in the UK) or cold... as in a fridge, or an airconditioned space.

Good ventilation is also important in hot countries, to create a cool breeze blowing through, where there is no air-conditioning. It also pushes the heat OUT. :smile:

Arthur Little
17th May 2016, 15:46
Just about to shoot off to the airport to catch a plane to Manila ...

... Bon voyage! :airline:

fred
17th May 2016, 20:14

Well insulation is fine but my house doesn't have any because my roof is nipa..
Best advise I can give is install a ridge vent for the whole length of roof and large open eves..My eves are two meters wide at points so that the sun can never touch the walls.
If your "wooden trusses" are still in good shape,why not just give them a couple of coats of Solignum or Woodsaver?

jonnijon
17th May 2016, 22:54
Mindanao is in serious problems with drought conditions.
Can't remember we had a decent downpour.

Here in QC we also haven't seen any rain since we arrived here May 6
Temperatures are significantly lower than we experienced in Davao.

The El Nino effect is predicated to end soon and be followed by La Nina.
Oh dear !!

We have had thunder storms nearly every evening for the last week, very heavy rain. The dam grass has grown 6ft

Michael Parnham
18th May 2016, 07:18
We have had thunder storms nearly every evening for the last week, very heavy rain. The dam grass has grown 6ft

Yes used to have thunderstorms regularly whilst living in Dumaguete, have only experienced one since 1989 in the UK:Erm:

Terpe
19th May 2016, 14:59

We're getting here now :icon_lol:

fred
19th May 2016, 15:43
We're getting here now :icon_lol:

Getting where?...Oh!!! You mean there!