PDA

View Full Version : Great 1950's photos of St Ives which is unfortunately now an Eastern European Ghetto

Dedworth
29th January 2015, 17:59
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2931389/From-Queen-Mother-prime-day-beach-Box-colour-slides-bought-13-car-boot-sale-shows-Britain-looked-innocent-age.html

Arthur Little
29th January 2015, 19:21
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2931389/From-Queen-Mother-prime-day-beach-Box-colour-slides-bought-13-car-boot-sale-shows-Britain-looked-innocent-age.html

All the officials appropriatly clad in their ceremonial attire in one of them, I notice. :smile:

:yeahthat:'s what I like to see :poke: ... there's far too much "dressing down" nowadays!

Y'know, :icon_rolleyes: ... our [present] Church Minister doesn't even bother to wear the customary Church of Scotland black clerical robes. :NoNo:

Dedworth
29th January 2015, 19:27
Yes I liked the ones with the mayor & councillors in their top hats - round here they have Duke of Wellington style cocked hats.

Time you found a new manse Arthur :wink:

Arthur Little
29th January 2015, 20:02
Yes I liked the ones with the mayor & councillors in their top hats - round here they have Duke of Wellington style cocked hats.

Yes, the geezers in the 'morning suits' (tails) and tile hats may've been 'High Constables' ... :anerikke: ... at least they're called that in Perth ... and, carrying short batons, they still parade alongside the civic dignitaries on special occasions - such as the ancient annual "Kirkin' of the Council" ceremony in May and also on Remembrance Sunday.

Time you found a new manse Arthur :wink:

Thing is, I've been an Elder & Office Bearer in my Church for 40~odd years - dating back to a more traditional and (dare I say?) genteel era. Nowadays, folk turn up at Church in jeans, T-shirts & trainers, etc ... :anerikke: ... influenced, most likely, by the trendy pulpit incumbent as their role model. :doh

Arthur Little
29th January 2015, 21:19
P'raps I'm just an old-fashioned fuddy duddy :olddude: ... but I often wonder what staid old John Reith, founding Chairman of the BBC, would make of modern male TV game/chat show presenters ... many of whom sport a smart (and doubtless expensive) enough suit - yet completely ruin the whole effect because they eschew wearing a tie to go along with it - and almost invariably appear in a collarless shirt unbuttoned practically down to the midriff - Simon Cowell, of course, being the prime example. :yikes:! Once upon a time a man would scarcely be seen leaving his house without a tie being worn.

Rant over ... I think, anyway. :wink:

Dedworth
29th January 2015, 22:40
I agree Arthur. What makes me go for the puke bucket is the Mail wasting space reporting that those two gormless grinning Geordies Ant Dec have won some worthless mutual backslapping TV award. Further proof of how dumbed down this country has become - it won't be long before some of our variety/enntertainment shows have descended to the level of the pinoy ones.......... infantile with mindless fawning over the creepy full of themselves "celebrities"

bigmarco
30th January 2015, 13:26
Thing is, I've been an Elder & Office Bearer in my Church for 40~odd years - dating back to a more traditional and (dare I say?) genteel era. Nowadays, folk turn up at Church in jeans, T-shirts & trainers, etc ... :anerikke: ... influenced, most likely, by the trendy pulpit incumbent as their role model. :doh

It's the same with the schools Arthur. Back in my day Teachers wore a suit and tie or at the very least a Jacket and tie. Is it any wonder boys now days walk round with trousers half way down their :action-smiley-075:

Lovely set of pics by the way Ded :xxgrinning--00xx3: