PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper here

Alan
18th November 2007, 13:21
Hi Guys,

As more and more of us 'chaps' visit the Paradise Islands, a thought has been occurring to me.

I have been over 3 times this year already and I have been learning about the 'necessaries' that are, in fact, cheaper to buy here rather than over there.
Would members think it useful if we created a list of things to 'put in the suitcase' thus saving money?

Let me kick off the list:-

Deodorant (a must over there lads.)

I have a few others but I shall await replies - to see if there is any interest in this thread.

God bless the Philippines - God HELP Oldham Athletic! :NoNo:

This is Al. - News at 12.20 - Oxford - bloody p*****g down - handing back to the studio. :)

Bridget
18th November 2007, 13:35
I think Sunscreen, food supplements and body lotion are a lot cheaper in the UK.

gingxrick
18th November 2007, 15:47
Hi Alan how about a few bottles of malt, glenmorangie,glenlivit,glenfiddich,bowmore,macallan,talisker,cragganmore,highland park, etc etc etc. cheers mate

Pepe n Pilar
18th November 2007, 16:02
Sure deodorant stick 76 g costs P280.00 while in UK 40ml costs less
Aveeno body lotion costs 9 pounds in UK and it only cost P700 here (same size)

Alan
18th November 2007, 16:16
Hi Alan how about a few bottles of malt, glenmorangie,glenlivit,glenfiddich,bowmore,macallan,talisker,cragganmore,highland park, etc etc etc. cheers mate

VERY true Ricky. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Al.:)

P.S. My sympathies for last night. Bet you didn't think you would get an Italian referee. :furious3:

fred
18th November 2007, 16:29
Alan..There is something that I cannot get here for love nor money and that is Gillette Fusion blades (blue)
I`ll quite happily swap a packet of those for lets say..
A bottle of Absolute Vodka? (any flavour)
Deal??

fred
18th November 2007, 16:34
Also..A good friend of mine here happens to loves liquorice..
Throw a bag of that in the suitcase and I will get you more than a little tipsy..
Cheers,
Fred.

KeithD
18th November 2007, 16:40
Tesco's - Every little helps :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
18th November 2007, 16:54
Fred, you got it. Both of those items are already written down in my 'Things to take with me in January when I leave this God-forsaken country' book..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

P.S. Only tipsy????

fred
18th November 2007, 17:00
P.S. Only tipsy????

Ok Al..
Drunk as an alcoholic skunk..
Cheers,
Fred.

KeithD
18th November 2007, 17:05
Fred....I fancy you when you are psssssssst

:love18: :Sex: :Bolt:

fred
18th November 2007, 17:10

Kieth..:doh
Sorry but you will need to join a long long queue.

Alan
18th November 2007, 17:33
Kieth..:doh
Sorry but you will need to join a long long queue.

Oh, you must be at the Embassy then mate - or the NSO - or the Immigration Office - etc. etc.

KeithD
18th November 2007, 19:07
Kieth.

I before E unless you are me :D KEITH

gracia143
18th November 2007, 22:11
Horlicks Al:Erm: and Keith too :D

bigtombowski
18th November 2007, 23:59

wow, i think the truth is showing it's helmet :D

baboyako
19th November 2007, 00:21
I think electrical goods are cheaper here. stuff like lcd tvs, nokia cellphones etc..

fred - how did you get on with building materials? bathroom suites, wiring etc - that always seems cheap in B&Q.

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 00:24
really bbako? coz ladystarfish told me that a mobile cellphone could be got for 2500PHP out in Phils? that's less than here surely?

baboyako
19th November 2007, 00:32
say a nokia 1100 can be found here for maybe 19.99, in the fil it will be 1999pesos (i.e. 10% more).

an n95 (her latest addition :Brick: ) was 23,000. In the UK its 189quid I think.

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 00:36
i think it's more than that in the UK, in fact, i know it is, i used to work for orange hehehe

BUT ... more importantly, the N95 is absolute crud! hehehe why would someone want a feces fone like that one? hehehe lol :D

better to get a G600 or a K850i!

t

andypaul
19th November 2007, 00:47
you can buy a phone here for 30 quid most likely less either 2nd hand or payg basic el cheapo.

The only times goods look cheaper a while back was there tax was less.

Also the ones sold in the uk are made normally in finland and are rated better than many in phill which are made in china. So i was told by a phone dealer.

Like baboyako says the tvs etc in phill like for like are normally more expensive or older versions or similar but slighty less specced versions.

I know the equipment my company sells is at least one two years behind the uk and other markets. The products are cheaper as they have had te manufacturing process finetuned and again made on a cheaper production line with less memory etc.

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 00:52
if i was to get a mobile here in UK, or bring on of my fones for Miss starfish when i go, would it be useable in Philippines? or do i need it converted in some way ...???

t

andypaul
19th November 2007, 00:54
i think it's more than that in the UK, in fact, i know it is, i used to work for orange hehehe

BUT ... more importantly, the N95 is absolute crud! hehehe why would someone want a feces fone like that one? hehehe lol :D

better to get a G600 or a K850i!

t

Most phills prefer nokia sony ericcson is not so well known out there we gave se's to my Wifes lill bro and sis and they like what are they :Erm: they liked them and all there mates impressed but harder to find parts and get repaired in general.

The N95 with later firmware and not locked to a company is far better orange is well known for buggering about with the phone software.

Many companies i deal with now buy the phones unlocked with genric firmware and then tie up with a carrier saves a lot of hassle and normally means you get the latest firmware far earlier as the carriers have to test firmware for their versions before they will allow it and disable certain functions in some cases:cwm23:

baboyako
19th November 2007, 00:57
i did get the impression that the only reason she wanted an n95 - was because it was the most expensive thing going in davao :NoNo:

andypaul
19th November 2007, 00:58
if i was to get a mobile here in UK, or bring on of my fones for Miss starfish when i go, would it be useable in Philippines? or do i need it converted in some way ...???

t

If unlocked you should have no problems, but if locked to orange or vodafone etc you need to get the code for example on SE's or nokias on most recent versions. In phill they will unlock the phone but we have found its not a full unlock, for example a vodafone payg we forgot to get unlocked in te uk so in alabang they unlock it but it was able to make calls but not text messages:doh Which means its almost usless to the avg phill.

The networks are the same its not like japan which uses a different type.

if its dual band, most are now or even better triband it will work.

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 00:58
huh? firmware? are u speaking tagalog :( hehe
please speak "stupidlingsh" so i can understand andy!

andypaul
19th November 2007, 00:59
i did get the impression that the only reason she wanted an n95 - was because it was the most expensive thing going in davao :NoNo:

hope it wasn't the latest 8gb version they 600 plus:omg:

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 01:00
If unlocked you should have no problems, but if locked to orange or vodafone etc you need to get the code for example on SE's or nokias on most recent versions. In phill they will unlock the phone but we have found its not a full unlock, for example a vodafone payg we forgot to get unlocked in te uk so in alabang they unlock it but it was able to make calls but not text messages:doh Which means its almost usless to the avg phill.

The networks are the same its not like japan which uses a different type.

if its dual band, most are now or even better triband it will work.

so
if i get a triband and get it unlocked (if locked) it's sound then for a globe or smart sim card ?

charlwill
19th November 2007, 01:03
say a nokia 1100 can be found here for maybe 19.99, in the fil it will be 1999pesos (i.e. 10% more).

an n95 (her latest addition :Brick: ) was 23,000. In the UK its 189quid I think.
Very true!, mobile phone is cheap here than in Phils. , that's my business over there. Buy fairly cheap here and sell in Phils similar price in the market.

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 01:07
wow amazing

andypaul
19th November 2007, 01:13
huh? firmware? are u speaking tagalog :( hehe
please speak "stupidlingsh" so i can understand andy!

the software which tells the phone what to do.

If firmware updated anything from better performance,longer battery life to the way the phone works can be changed

many electrical devices phones, printers, videos you can change the software/firmware it can make a big difference.

*#0000# will tell you your firmware version

andypaul
19th November 2007, 01:15
so
if i get a triband and get it unlocked (if locked) it's sound then for a globe or smart sim card ?

dual band be fine

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 01:17
so as long as it's unlocked it's sound?

i was thinking of giving lady starfish a SE but, they tend to play up.
so

would u recommend i come to PI with some Nokias in tow or what?

is it nokias that they go for in Phils?

anyone

hehehe

aromulus
19th November 2007, 08:58

so

anyone

hehehe

I would recommend Sony Ericsson.
Apart from the fact that they make superb phones, the cameras are far superior to the other makes.
And Pinays are always taking pictures. The first I gave Jet was a k700 tri-band. Unlocking that was a fiver.

After I upgraded she asked wether she could have my d750i, no problem with that at all.

I will be upgrading again in the next couple of days so she has already made plans for my k800i...

Unlocking a Sony ericcson, in my experience, doesn't cause any side effects to the unit at all, unlike other makes.

Besides it seems to be a more prized phone in Phil...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But definitively tri-band.

bigtombowski
19th November 2007, 15:46
great
coz i never went for a cybershot, i just got the w880i! the last cybershot i had was a few years ago!

so ...

i am thinking of setting up a second contract ...

so ... i should get a SE on that one and maybe give that one to her, and then just use my older (but treasured) in my heart 2005/6 model ;)

good idea arom :D

t

IainBusby
19th November 2007, 16:33
Hi Guys,

As more and more of us 'chaps' visit the Paradise Islands, a thought has been occurring to me.

I have been over 3 times this year already and I have been learning about the 'necessaries' that are, in fact, cheaper to buy here rather than over there.
Would members think it useful if we created a list of things to 'put in the suitcase' thus saving money?

Let me kick off the list:-

Deodorant (a must over there lads.)

I have a few others but I shall await replies - to see if there is any interest in this thread.

God bless the Philippines - God HELP Oldham Athletic! :NoNo:

This is Al. - News at 12.20 - Oxford - bloody p*****g down - handing back to the studio. :)

If it's in an aerosol can and your travelling on to another island, make sure you put it in your checked in luggage. If you don't one of the security gaurds will think his birthday has come early.

Iain.

Alan
19th November 2007, 18:06
If it's in an aerosol can and your travelling on to another island, make sure you put it in your checked in luggage. If you don't one of the security gaurds will think his birthday has come early.

Iain.

Good point Iain.

Let's face it, most of the security guards at airports are real aerosols.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
19th November 2007, 18:08
Horlicks Al:Erm :D

No Grace, believe me, it's true! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
19th November 2007, 18:18
Speaking of airports - How come when I leave the UK with a case weighing just under 20Kg - have it checked in as such at Heathrow - transited at Hong Kong - how come when I check it in at Manila to fly to Cebu, it suddenly weighs 24.5 kilos?????

'Show us your bloody scale', I said. Sure enough - the scale read 24.5 kg.

'Excess baggage sir' I am told. :cwm23:

'I don't want to know about your missus' I say. 'How much d'ya want?'

'120 pesos sir.'

'Here you go - have a nice drink:cwm23:'

'Oh no sir, you have to take this paper to the desk over there.'

[ As a teacher you are supposed to possess patience to the 'n'th degree - but I know I'm being ripped off here - so I'm losing it]

(At the desk) 'That will be 136 pesos sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!' :cwm23::cwm23:

This is inflation gone f*****g mad!!!!

I get the suitcase to Fuente Pension in Cebu and ask if it is possible to weigh my suitcase. It is! ( I recommend Fuente to anyone by the way)

How heavy is my case? 19.6 kg!!!

I rest my case!!!! :Erm:

(Perhaps this should have been a rant)

I'm OK now I've got it off my chest (and got a glass of Bells :))

joebloggs
19th November 2007, 19:16

so

anyone

hehehe

:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::D
didn't you use to work for orange in sales tom :Erm:
and you don't know which fones are best or what firmware is :omg:

:icon_lol::doh

andypaul
19th November 2007, 20:17
Like Dom says Se's are fine phones but a word of warning just make sure mars has a repair shop nearby that deals with se's.
Most of the phones we send to phill some are hardly used, but after 6 months with intensive pinoy level sms,wallpaper, songs, picture/video taking they seem to knacker.
My Wifes lill bro knackered a nearly new w810i in less than six months and a w750i battery died within a week of being used. Nokias have faired just the same.

One thing the young phills i know don't like about Se's is the sim changing. They are constantly swapping phones/sims for one reason or another and the sim change on the se's is a bit fiddly.

But the cameras are far superior generally and go down a storm.

Worth buying a cheap maill order big as you can fit memory stick while here in the UK or in hongkong.

bigtombowski
20th November 2007, 00:02
:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::D
didn't you use to work for orange in sales tom :Erm:
and you don't know which fones are best or what firmware is :omg:

:icon_lol::doh

that's why i was the number one sales man :D hehe, the less i know about orange's crappy products, the less i can put people off them hehehe! ;)

andy said
Like Dom says Se's are fine phones but a word of warning just make sure mars has a repair shop nearby that deals with se's.
Most of the phones we send to phill some are hardly used, but after 6 months with intensive pinoy level sms,wallpaper, songs, picture/video taking they seem to knacker.
My Wifes lill bro knackered a nearly new w810i in less than six months and a w750i battery died within a week of being used. Nokias have faired just the same.

andy, i am worried about this, coz i got a brand new SE, and i'll be honest, it's a bit rubbish, hyper delicate and i'm not sure it's even gonna last the entire 18 month contract! I had to get orange to replace the first one! now, all my numbers are lost and i've had to ask everyone by email to give me their new number grrrrr:angry::cwm23::angry:

Barnet Boy
20th November 2007, 09:15
I used my unlocked Nokia 6100 last time I was there with a Smart sim. Worked perfectly. A lot of the friends I chat to in P.I. have Nokias but crave something different. As for something that is loved but unavailable... Terry's Chocolate Orange

Barnet Boy
20th November 2007, 09:21
Not stopped at the Fuente Al but I can recommend Kiwi Lodge, Mabolo, Cebu. Stopped there twice. Great food, clean and cheap rooms.

gingxrick
20th November 2007, 09:36
I second that Barnet Boy, kiwi lodge in Cebu great food and service, we had dinner there with our friends Gus and Naome in Nov this year.

Alan
20th November 2007, 10:46
Not stopped at the Fuente Al but I can recommend Kiwi Lodge, Mabolo, Cebu. Stopped there twice. Great food, clean and cheap rooms.

Thanks mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Gavanddal
2nd December 2007, 08:54
I think electrical goods are cheaper here. stuff like lcd tvs, nokia cellphones etc..

fred - how did you get on with building materials? bathroom suites, wiring etc - that always seems cheap in B&Q.

I specifically looked at these items in Cebu last year and they were the same price as the UK. Some things such as XD memory cards were more expensive.

I noticed building items were, for example electrical switches/ sockets 35p each, stainless steel kitchen sink including taps £40. That said, it's difficult to find a lot of choice. You can't beat the B&Q warehouse for that. I'm quite tempted to buy a lot of stuff for our house in the Philippines here and ship it over, especially kitchen units.

andypaul
2nd December 2007, 14:01
British house hold electrical sockets and wiring standards are one thing i would insist on in any house i would bulid the rest up to the wife.

fred
3rd December 2007, 02:07
I can`t give exact cost without pouring through our receipts and accounts etc.
We paid premium costs for all of out electrical work and bought quality materials from start to finish..
All our kitchen units and bedroom wardrobes were hand built, painted by hand etc which worked out much cheaper than flat pack stuff here.
You can choose slabs of top quality granite which can be used for work tops and floors etc if required.. They will cut, fit and finish this to custom order for you on site far cheaper than in the U.K..I would imagine that its the labour costs that make the difference plus the fact its easy to buy the raw material direct from the dealer.
A toilet bowl with flush sink with pedestal is around £60.00 including taps and other fittings.
The finest black/gold granite cost around £50.00 per sqr mtr here..Chinese granite will cost half that amount.
We used porcelain tiles for some of our flooring which works out around £8.00 sqr mtr...Ceramic tiles are half that amount.
Paint here is cheap rubbish (Boysen)..
Its one thing that I would import if I had to do it all again..
You can`t beat a good ole tin of Dulux trade if you can afford it!!
Building Labour here is excellent if you choose the correct outfit..
I have builders working for me here that would put many tradesmen in the UK to shame,but like anywhere they are a lot of chancer`s..So beware!!
Anyone needing builders in the Manila area,give me a shout..Top notch.

Fred.

http://apartmentphilippines.2ya.com/

DonyaPepay
3rd December 2007, 02:26
[QUOTE=fred;46482]
Hi Fred,
Thats very impressive apartment. Congratulations..!

Gavanddal
4th December 2007, 08:09
I met a German guy who has a fabulous house in Hilongos and he used European electrical fittings throughout.
I'm tempted to use all UK (3 wire) cables and fittings.

As far as furniture is concerned, yes marble or granite is cheaper or more accessible and I will be using it in my kitchen and bathroom.

If anyone can recommend any builders in the Hilongos area of Leyte then I'd be grateful.

andypaul
4th December 2007, 21:02
Wiring i would say is really important in your dream home, of the house fires i have heard of they seem to involve wiring and /or ac going up.

Im amazed how much current would pass though what i would describe as bell wire:omg: The heat from some wires i saw in family homes was scary.

The most worrying wiring i saw in houses was in those where money had just appeared i.e many with a phill who has moved to the west.

The big telly, ps2, air con, the water cooler given free with choclate at the duty free store etc. All mean the wiring is facing demands the orignal sparky had never taken into consideration.

wobblybob
3rd March 2008, 11:08
Hi Alan think I may of actually said Hi to you in Fuente pension house I have a friend who is staying there, with his young filipina. You would definately remember my friend as he is not the full shilling, talks loud and to much, his name is Lawrence and g/f 19y.o Chele, I was there with my g/f for a week at the end of January and will possibly moving to dumaguate when this place is sold and I can get out there

aromulus
6th March 2008, 09:24
If anyone can recommend any builders in the Hilongos area of Leyte then I'd be grateful.
Maybe...???:D

Alan
6th March 2008, 09:34
Hi Alan think I may of actually said Hi to you in Fuente pension house I have a friend who is staying there, with his young filipina. You would definately remember my friend as he is not the full shilling, talks loud and to much, his name is Lawrence and g/f 19y.o Chele, I was there with my g/f for a week at the end of January and will possibly moving to dumaguate when this place is sold and I can get out there

I don't think so Bob. But, when you get to Dumaguete you are welcome to come to mine for a cold one or two - or twelve.

fred
6th March 2008, 09:51
or 20..
Hell,just be done with it and get a case.

Alan
6th March 2008, 12:54
or 20..
Hell,just be done with it and get a case.

Hey mate, 5 Grandes of Red Horse was really hard work the other week don't you agree?

I'm sure it'll be easier next time.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Al. (ex Daphne):)

aromulus
6th March 2008, 13:26
Hey mate, 5 Grandes of Red Horse was really hard work the other week don't you agree?

I'm sure it'll be easier next time.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Exported lager lout............:NoNo:

Mrs.JMajor
6th March 2008, 14:17

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: hahaha back to Al name now sir,,i remember till only thursday Daphne eh ! :Erm:

Welsh_Italian
7th March 2008, 11:24
I had exactly the same thing! At home, my suitcase weighed just under 23kg - no problem as this was the limit for my flight to HK and I would pay excess for the Cebu-Pacific flight to Manila. At Gatwick the case came in at exactly 23kg, but in HK, it came to 24.8 with nothing being added in the meantime!

Methinks something is rotten, though to be fair, I wasn't asked to pay excess.

Speaking of airports - How come when I leave the UK with a case weighing just under 20Kg - have it checked in as such at Heathrow - transited at Hong Kong - how come when I check it in at Manila to fly to Cebu, it suddenly weighs 24.5 kilos?????

'Show us your bloody scale', I said. Sure enough - the scale read 24.5 kg.

'Excess baggage sir' I am told. :cwm23:

'I don't want to know about your missus' I say. 'How much d'ya want?'

'120 pesos sir.'

'Here you go - have a nice drink:cwm23:'

'Oh no sir, you have to take this paper to the desk over there.'

[ As a teacher you are supposed to possess patience to the 'n'th degree - but I know I'm being ripped off here - so I'm losing it]

(At the desk) 'That will be 136 pesos sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!' :cwm23::cwm23:

This is inflation gone f*****g mad!!!!

I get the suitcase to Fuente Pension in Cebu and ask if it is possible to weigh my suitcase. It is! ( I recommend Fuente to anyone by the way)

How heavy is my case? 19.6 kg!!!

I rest my case!!!! :Erm:

(Perhaps this should have been a rant)

I'm OK now I've got it off my chest (and got a glass of Bells :))