PDA

View Full Version : Watching the English

graceylacey
15th November 2007, 16:25
To all the Filipinas out there who are looking for British guys, engaged or married to British guys, this is a book you should read. "Watching the English" by Kate Fox. It's all about THE HIDDEN RULES OF ENGLISH BEHAVIOUR.

Before I cam here, I read this book coz my hubby gave it to me for more information about their culture, national character and behaviour. It's really funny and clever. Informative and hilarious! :D:Hellooo:

I loved the INVISIBLE QUEUE rule. We (Filipinos) do not have this of character. Maybe some but generally, ermm... lacking. For Filipinos who are already in the UK, try to observe. You can witness this in the bus or train stop, opening doors, wherever there's a queue. I bet, British know this.

bigtombowski
15th November 2007, 16:49
i have this book
yes, very highly recommended :D

Bridget
15th November 2007, 16:51
Thanks Graceyley for the info. Thats very kind of you. Im wondering if that book is also available here in Manila. I just loved to watch the DVD`s of "Keeping Up Appearance" it is a good one, too. and " The Little Britain" funny.

bigtombowski
15th November 2007, 16:53
wow, u like hyacinth? and do u laugh at "ting tong"? hehe

i think ur best idea for said fantastic book is to go to amazon

Bridget
15th November 2007, 16:57
haahaha you know Hyacinth ... oh yes go to Amazon, good idea.

bigtombowski
15th November 2007, 16:59
oh yes, i grew up on Hyacinth Bucket! ;)

bigtombowski
15th November 2007, 17:00
haahaha you know Hyacinth ... oh yes go to Amazon, good idea.

actually, do u have a "BORDERS" bookshop near u? they will be able to get it for u also :D --or go onto Kate Fox's website, and u should b able to get it there too :D

Bridget
15th November 2007, 17:02
Its Bouquet.... not Bucket. Her sister married to a turp accountant own a big house with a large swimming pool and a room for a pony. hehehehe

bigtombowski
15th November 2007, 17:04
that's the joke, coz everyone pronounces it as bucket, and she gets really mad! hehehehe

so far, the brit comedy i have gotten mar into is "Mr Bean" :D

we have stopped there for the time being ;)

haha

Gavanddal
24th November 2007, 07:34
Yeah Brits love to queue but love to moan more.
I remember coming through Hong Kong on the way back from Cebu and we had to queue for security. All I heard was Brits moaning! I felt like telling them to shut up.

KeithD
24th November 2007, 10:06
All I heard was Brits moaning! I felt like telling them to shut up.

Why didn't you, then you would have learnt another one of the Brits favourite pastimes :xxmixed-smiley-017:

You've just had a moan about the disabled, we haven't!

andypaul
24th November 2007, 11:46
Yeah Brits love to queue but love to moan more.
I remember coming through Hong Kong on the way back from Cebu and we had to queue for security. All I heard was Brits moaning! I felt like telling them to shut up.

Maybe because in the uk we can moan in many countries all over the globe people would love to be crictal of anything they choose.

If you dont like moaning about things maybe you could swap with a burmese or a chinese person?

jimeve
24th November 2007, 12:11
Of course we moan, crap weather, really depressing,slums especially in the north
of England including Scotland, bad cricket team, football team etc etc.:yikes:

bloody hell can't find my suicide pills :furious3:

aromulus
24th November 2007, 12:13
Maybe because in the uk we can moan in many countries all over the globe people would love to be crictal of anything they choose.

If you dont like moaning about things maybe you could swap with a burmese or a chinese person?

Reminded me of an old joke of when i was living in Germany....

Debriefing of an Eastern German (DDR) border Guard that went over the "wall" into the western sector....

Q - What did you think of the living conditions over there???
A - "couldn't really complain"...
Q - How about the food shortages and long queues??
A - "Couldn't really complain"...
Q - How about the rampant inflation and low wages???
A - "Couldn't really complain"...
Q - So if you couldn't complain, why the hell did you risk your life for just getting over here...???

A - " Because here I can complain".....:D