PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a house

SimonH
21st December 2014, 10:59
Ok, only a small place that was empty next to Shey's parents in a sub division. I asked who owned it, was told it was up for sale and, as Shey was staying for a further month, I enquired about the price. 140,000 Php - yep that's right - £2,000! So I thought, "why not?" - we can use it when we're there and they can use it when we're not.

Didn't know about cost of furnishings etc., but there's a place not far away that makes wooden furniture. So we stopped and asked about prices. King size bed in hardwood, with a lovely integrated carved headboard 8,000 Php or £115, table and chairs set 5,500 Php.

As Shey's brother is in construction I'm going to ask him about adding a second storey and getting aircon installed

stevewool
21st December 2014, 11:06
WOW, that's the way to do it! What's next, I wonder?

grahamw48
21st December 2014, 11:09
Congrats !

Pictures please ! :biggrin:

fred
21st December 2014, 11:21
Ok, only a small place that was empty next to Shey's parents in a sub division. I asked who owned it, was told it was up for sale and, as Shey was staying for a further month, I enquired about the price. 140,000 Php - yep, that's right - £2,000. So I thought, "why not?" - we can use it when we're there and they can use it when we're not.

Didn't know about cost of furnishings etc., but there's a place not far away that makes wooden furniture. So we stopped and asked about prices. King size bed in hardwood, with a lovely integrated carved headboard, 8,000 Php or £115, table and chairs set 5,500 Php.

As Shey's brother is in construction, I'm going to ask him about adding a second storey and getting aircon installed

That sounds suspiciously cheap Simon..
There are most probably not sufficient foundations or reinforced posts, beams to go up another floor.
Consult an Engineer.. You will need to anyway in order to get a building permit for adding another storey.

Michael Parnham
21st December 2014, 13:18
Double check everything Simon and tread very carefully. If it's ok, then go for it and good luck. Could be a nice find! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
21st December 2014, 13:24
Double check everything Simon and tread very carefully. If it's ok, then go for it and good luck. Could be a nice find! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Michael :smile: Land titles are in place, foundations are good for another level, the property is a very basic place but it's adjacent to Shey's parents, so we could turn it combine the two and turn it into one larger home as well as putting another floor onto both.

Anyway, worth a punt for £2K

Michael Parnham
21st December 2014, 13:26
Thanks Michael :smile: Land titles are in place, foundations are good for another level, the property is a very basic place but it's adjacent to Shey's parents, so we could turn it combine the two and turn it into one larger home as well as putting another floor onto both.

Anyway worth a punt for £2K

At that price, nothing to lose really Simon! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
21st December 2014, 13:31
At that price, nothing to lose really Simon! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My thoughts exactly :biggrin:

Longweekend
21st December 2014, 14:28
Nice find...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
21st December 2014, 14:43
Bargain :biggrin:

Piamed
23rd December 2014, 09:20
Congrats mate

Rosie1958
29th December 2014, 23:45
Congratulations Simon, I hope that your new housing project goes well! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
30th December 2014, 00:00
Well done Simon. Seems like a bargain. When I was in Butuan last time I was looking at a subdivision house but that was £20,000. Mind you, it was brand new.

SimonH
30th December 2014, 00:39
Thanks all, it's a tiny place as you'd expect for that sort of money (roughly 100 sqm) but we're having an extension and lots of improvements done. Went to price up tiles yesterday and I reckon we can have all the work done - with marble on the floor - for an additional £4K :smile: