PDA

View Full Version : Tax!

Jentobeharrison
3rd December 2014, 19:42
Hi guys I just want to ask since it's my first Job here in UK. What should I fill out? P45 or P46? Or should I just not fill out any? People say that government will not get tax from my salary because my per annum until April is just less than £10,000. I just started my full time job last 17th of November

Michael Parnham
3rd December 2014, 19:59
Hi guys I just want to ask since it's my first Job here in UK. What should I fill out? P45 or P46? Or should I just not fill out any? People say that government will not get tax from my salary because my per annum until April is just less than £10,000. I just started my full time job last 17th of November

Hi Jen, Just call Inland Revenue on 03002003300 give them yours and your employers name & address and ask them to forward a tax code number to your employer so that they can deduct the correct tax otherwise you will be put on emergency tax until April! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
3rd December 2014, 23:04
Hi Jen,

As it's your first job you will not have a P45 and your employer should ask you for a P46, but best to check with their HR or payroll department to see if they require it :smile:

Terpe
4th December 2014, 00:03
Don't worry too much. Your employer should ask you to fill out and sign a P46 which they'll send to HMRC for your tax code.

If you haven't completed a P46 one ask your employer.

Both you and your employer will receive a tax code from HMRC.

Until a tax code is issued your employer should use the emergency tax code for deductions of tax.
The Emergency Tax code for 2014/15 is 1000L.
Means you'll have a tax-free allowance of £10,000 and only pay tax on earnings above that level.

Be sure to check that your employer does NOT use a BR tax code (basic rate) otherwise you'll end up paying tax on the whole of your earnings with no tax free allowance at all.

You'll also have deductions for National Insurance if your earnings are above the threshold. The NIC's threshold is somewhat lower than the Emergency Tax code.

If end up paying too much tax you'll get it back through the PAYE scheme anyway.

The form P45 is a record of your previous pay and tax deductions. You'll get it from your employer when you stop working for them.

Good luck with the job

Jentobeharrison
4th December 2014, 00:48
Thing is, the people from company saying that I should fill out P46 and others are saying its automatic that I don't have to fill out anything like a 16-yo person who just got a new job, and just submit NI no P45 or P46

grahamw48
4th December 2014, 01:05
Don't worry about it.

The systems actually work in this country, and all will be sorted out during the first few weeks of your employment. Terpe has given good advice.

Any over-payment of tax by yourself will in any case be refunded to you next April, either through your wages or with a cheque directly from the tax office. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
4th December 2014, 06:26
Thing is, the people from company saying that I should fill out P46 and others are saying its automatic that I don't have to fill out anything like a 16-yo person who just got a new job, and just submit NI no P45 or P46

Your employer needs to set you up on their PAYE system.
They should give you a P46 to fill-out and sign.

However, if your employer has specifically requested that you obtain your own P46 form and fill-out yourself then contact HMRC to get one. There's no problem. But seriously your employer should do it.
They have a responsibility.

Are you sure your Employers payroll person/team has told you to do it?

Anyway all will be well, believe me.
The emergency tax code of 1000L will not make any deductions based on your salary level.

Relax

Jentobeharrison
4th December 2014, 09:31
The manager said that I need to fill our p46 and everyone from our training class will be put on emergency tax first until they've sorted out our proper tax code

Jentobeharrison
4th December 2014, 15:31
I'm filling out p46 which name should I use? My name whrn I was still single or my married name? All the bills, bank details and my name here in our company is my married name but m passport, brp card and national insurance number paper is still on my single name

Dedworth
4th December 2014, 16:19
Married name - make sure HMRC get it logged against your NI number

grahamw48
4th December 2014, 16:27
It would be better to get your NI number registered to your married name too.

Civil servants and government computers like things to match up.

Jentobeharrison
4th December 2014, 17:29
It would be better to get your NI number registered to your married name too.

Civil servants and government computers like things to match up.

As much as I want to, I can't do anything as of this moment, as they want my NI name to be the same as what's on my passport (which is my single name). I still have 4 years with my PH passport and it's not perfect timing to get my passport sorted yet

raynaputi
4th December 2014, 17:51
As much as I want to, I can't do anything as of this moment, as they want my NI name to be the same as what's on my passport (which is my single name). I still have 4 years with my PH passport and it's not perfect timing to get my passport sorted yet

Hmmm...when I got my NI, the lady who interviewed me asked which name I liked to use and I said my married name. My passport at that time was also in my maiden name. What she did was put my maiden name on the form but also put a note that I prefer to use my married name. When my NI letter arrived, it was in my married name.

Jentobeharrison
4th December 2014, 18:49
Hmmm...when I got my NI, the lady who interviewed me asked which name I liked to use and I said my married name. My passport at that time was also in my maiden name. What she did was put my maiden name on the form but also put a note that I prefer to use my married name. When my NI letter arrived, it was in my married name.

That's also what the man I saw did. He wrote my maiden and married names and told me he'd put a note on the form - as that was the only thing he could do. But he couldn't really guarantee they would use my married name because it's the office who decide and I just had to wait and see if my NI is in my married name or not. But when I received it it's in my maiden name - so obviously they didn't approve it

Michael Parnham
4th December 2014, 20:10
I'm filling out p46 which name should I use? My name whrn I was still single or my married name? All the bills, bank details and my name here in our company is my married name but m passport, brp card and national insurance number paper is still on my single name

Use your married name for everything now, forget your maiden name all together! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

skysisi
9th December 2014, 10:05
Mine is in emergency tax at the moment. A bit disappointed that I expected my salary to be higher because of overtime but it ended up paying my tax and NI. A bit worried because my husband's claiming housing benefits and council tax and up to now we don't say anything that I'm working already. Is there a possibility I have a problem with my ILR application??

grahamw48
9th December 2014, 15:14
'Emergency' tax is normally at single person's rate, so no great drama...and any excess is paid back by inland revenue.

skysisi
12th December 2014, 16:07
Hi Graham, so no problem at all in my ILR application? Then my husband is not working just only me working full time. I'm hoping that there's no problem with.my ILR.

grahamw48
12th December 2014, 20:23
I don't know anything about ILR. Sorry. :xxgrinning--00xx3: