PDA

View Full Version : Keano News

Dedworth
23rd October 2014, 17:58
Roy Keane: It's like Manchester United mafia... Paddy Crerand still thinks it's nineteen-sixty-f******-seven!

Roy Keane has taken aim at the 'propaganda' from Manchester United
Keane described the group of ex-players working for the club as a 'mafia'
He was promoting his book at Lancashire County Cricket Club
'People get swayed by Paddy Crerand,' says Keane
Former Man Utd captain is currently promoting his book The Second Half

Roy Keane has taken aim at Manchester United's 'propaganda' - and described the group of former players working for the club as a 'mafia'.

Keane, the former United captain who played at Old Trafford for 12 years, has not held back with his views in recent weeks as he promotes his latest book The Second Half.

And during an appearance at Lancashire County Cricket Club on Tuesday, Keane was his usual hard-hitting self as he used 1968 European Cup winner Paddy Crerand as an example of the culture at his old club.

In quotes reported by The Guardian, Keane said: 'When I look at United there’s just a lot of propaganda now, a lot of nonsense gets spoken, a lot of ex-players now work for the club, they are on contracts, ex-players from the 60s and 70s working for United and they always try to kid you on.

'They’re all decent lads, don’t get me wrong, but it’s almost like a mafia situation. If you think it’s a sending-off or David Gill might be wrong or Alex Ferguson, you say it. These people are just: "It’s Man United, woh!" It’s like Disneyland – Man United Land, with f****** Mickey Mouse running everywhere.

'People get swayed by Paddy Crerand. Paddy still thinks it’s nineteen-sixty-f******-seven! United have lost 5-0: "Ah, you know, they were great." Paddy, come on, do me a favour. "No, no, United were great." No, they weren’t! Why are you saying it?'

The former midfielder, who spent 12 years at the club across one of its most successful eras, also compared the club to Disneyland for the way it is viewed by some of those connected at the club.

“When I look at United there’s just a lot of propaganda now, a lot of nonsense gets spoken, a lot of ex-players now work for the club, they are on contracts, ex-players from the 60s and 70s working for United and they always try to kid you on,” Keane said, before discussing the fall-out from his take on Nani's read card in a Champions League tie against Real Madrid.

“I had it with all the Nani stuff. My opinion was Nani meant it, he saw the guy coming, and he definitely meant it – the guy deserved to be sent off. But I remember Robbo (Bryan Robson) the next day. Robbo, who works for Man United – great player he was, but he’s employed by Man United so he’s got to comment on Man United, and what do you think he’s going to say? ‘Keaney’ – and I can still remember him saying it like that – ‘Keaney was the only one at Old Trafford who thought it was a red card.’ Well, the f****** referee thought it was a red card.

“That’s why I took a step back from Man United. They’re all decent lads, don’t get me wrong, but it’s almost like a mafia situation. If you think it’s a sending-off or David Gill might be wrong or Alex Ferguson, you say it. These people are just: ‘It’s Man United, woh!’ It’s like Disneyland – Man United Land, with ....... Mickey Mouse running everywhere."

Keane singled out Paddy Crerand, a member of United’s 1968 European Cup-winning side, as an example of the culture.

“People get swayed by Paddy Crerand. Paddy still thinks it’s nineteen-sixty- f****** -seven! United have lost 5-0: ‘Ah, you know, they were great.’ Paddy, come on, do me a favour. ‘No, no, United were great.’ No, they weren’t! Why are you saying it?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/roy-keane-says-manchester-united-is-viewed-like-disneyland-to-the-mafia-of-explayers-9813457.html

Top Man :xxgrinning--00xx3: Roy tells it as it is ( I know Les thinks he's a traitor :smile:)

Paddy Crerand I remember Jan/Feb hearing him and that other dinosaur Lou Macari big up Moyesey on TalkSh1te - love it :laugher:

bigmarco
23rd October 2014, 18:18
Fair play to the geezer. He talks straight unlike others who pander to Red nose and his cronies.

les_taxi
23rd October 2014, 18:26
No coincidence he is creating as much publicity as he can by being a .....it's all about his book sale. Every club has old players on the payroll. Unluckily for them they did not get the huge wages he got. Total .......

Ako Si Jamie
23rd October 2014, 19:42
Nothing wrong with speaking your mind but Keane comes out with any crap just to be controversial as illustrated in the first post of this thread. His attention seeking gets tiresome after a while.

Dedworth
23rd October 2014, 20:40
Nothing wrong with speaking your mind but Keane comes out with any crap just to be controversial as illustrated in the first post of this thread. His attention seeking gets tiresome after a while.

Nothing like Ferguson then (who has repeatedly put the boot into his most successful captain) :biggrin:

les_taxi
23rd October 2014, 20:52
As said before, the greatest manager the game has seen has earnt the respect. Keane has lost it with many Man Utd fans

Dedworth
23rd October 2014, 21:16
Keane has gained the respect of many (well myself & probably Marco :smile:) for speaking his mind and not trotting out the Man U line.

les_taxi
23rd October 2014, 21:24
It's only to sell his book :doh

Dedworth
23rd October 2014, 21:36
It's only to sell his book :doh

I've always found him refreshing as a pundit unlike the usual sharp suited muppets

Ako Si Jamie
23rd October 2014, 21:58
Nothing like Ferguson then (who has repeatedly put the boot into his most successful captain) :biggrin:Both nauseating egomaniacs. As human beings neither are fit to tie Bobby Charlton's boots.

Ako Si Jamie
20th December 2014, 10:12
Not content with quitting Villa, Keane's storming round players houses for a confrontation.

Dedworth
20th December 2014, 11:15
Not content with quitting Villa, Keane's storming round players houses for a confrontation.

A pity he didn't get hold of Cleverley - a cocky wimp long overdue for a clump :smile: