PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Jentobeharrison
22nd October 2014, 10:54
These past weeks have been really frustrating and difficult for me. I applied to my first choice of company where my husband works, (BT) and I failed in the final interview. The one who interviewed me is an American immigrant and told me the only reason she failed me because my example is weak and she thinks that I need to experience customer service from small time companies not as big as BT though I have three year experience in call centre in Philippines, okay we can't do anything about it.

I always monitor the direct jobs search and always send CV to the positions that I am fit to work but for a week, I hear nothing aside from Sofaworks that will conduct my interview on Friday and Scottish Power who can't continue processing my application because they cannot perform credit check as my National Insurance number hasn't arrived yet.

And now, I just received a frustrating e-mail from Lloyds Bank, I tried opening an account there, just the basic account (cash account) but they declined me. I don't know why and I don't know how I am gonna start having a good credit standings (if that's their basis of declining me in such things)

I am already added in my husband's council tax, water bills (but the bill will be sent in November) and he is about to add me in BT landline and broadband bills and also he will try to add me in Scottish Power bill.

Can you suggest which bank I can open an account easily?

SimonH
22nd October 2014, 11:28
You could try opening a joint bank account with your husband at whatever bank he uses, and the have all your household bills etc come out of this account. After that I would imagine it would be fairly simple to open an account there in your own name :smile:

Jentobeharrison
22nd October 2014, 11:44
Looks hard as my husband has his own bank account from Lloyds and he's been using it for years and years to pay all the bills automatically also from his employment so it's gonna be chaos transferring all of those

Abigail
22nd October 2014, 11:53
We tried to add my husband to my account and were told it would not be allowed as each of us must have a credit rating. We just opened him a Bank of Scotland basic account. It wasn't too much of a problem we just filled in the form on line and he then had to take his proof of ID and address in to a local branch and that was it. Good luck :)

Terpe
22nd October 2014, 12:17
You could try Barclays as they operate a basic cash card account which they also offer folks who are bankrupt.

If all else fails and you're really stuck you might think about the HSBC Passport Account (http://www.hsbc.co.uk/content_static/en/ukpersonal/pdfs/en/passport_brochure.pdf)

The downside is that:-

HSBC Passport has an initial fixed term of 12 months and is renewable monthly afterwards. HSBC Passport currently has an £8 per month fee. After 12 months you’ll have the option to stay with HSBC Passport or we’ll help you find the right HSBC account for your changing needs.

Food for thought

Dedworth
22nd October 2014, 12:24
BT have got a cheek but then they have a policy of sub contracting as much customer service work as they can to Mr But But in Bombay.

Chin up don't let 'em get you down

Michael Parnham
22nd October 2014, 13:22
Never had any problem making my a/c a joint a/c with wifey, just filled a form in with her details and proof of address & passport within a few days, Done! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
22nd October 2014, 14:14
3 or 4 times, when I have closed an account in the past not leaving an existing one, some banks said no.

I found when I tried again with a fistful of notes under their nose - I think was around 5000 - they couldn't be any more helpful. "Yes sir, certainly!".

After the formal form filling, they asked, "How much would you like to open the account with?" I said 1000 and put the rest in my pocket -complete with a debit card and cheque book account.

PS. I was also unemployed at the time, which - if I remember rightly - is why at first I was refused.

Jentobeharrison
22nd October 2014, 19:22
Lloyds bank told me that maybe having no national insurance yet or being unemployed might be the reason of them declining me but nothing to do with credit standings or stuff. They also said that it's impossible for them to add me in my husband's account because it won't make sense as we are still both individual who has different background etc

Jentobeharrison
22nd October 2014, 19:23
Got an appointment Monday for NatWest and Wednesday for Barclays.

Friday is my interview for customer service call centre agent in Sofaworks!!

stevewool
22nd October 2014, 20:06
Get hubby to add you to his bank account with Lloyds

joebloggs
22nd October 2014, 21:33
Got an appointment Monday for nat west and Wednesday for Barclays.

Friday is my interview for customer service call centre agent in sofaworks!!

Goodluck :xxgrinning--00xx3: the first step\job is always the hardest :wink:

jimbo23232
22nd October 2014, 22:55
Jen, I seem to recall we are on similar timelines to you - understand the frustration! - we opened my wife's bank account last week. Barclays worked for us - just PP and letter confirming NI number were sufficient.

tiger31
23rd October 2014, 05:39
Just be patient, all good things come to those who wait. Once you,re in the system, everything will be fine. The best way to start off your credit file is a mobile phone contract.

Jentobeharrison
23rd October 2014, 10:02
Just be patient, all good things come to those who wait. Once you,re in the system, everything will be fine. The best way to start off your credit file is a mobile phone contract .

My husband tried to add me on his mobile account and theyre asking for £150 upfront due to credit stuff, my husband got annoyed and told them hed never been into debts and always pay bills on time via direct debit. He told us that maybe its because my husband's address of his bank is still from his mum's address thats why he cant get good credit stuff, so their advised was to change the address of the bank and address it to his apartment.

I tried opening myself a mobile contract but I got declined.

Barclays, manager told me that my documents are good to go and they won't ask for my national insurance number if its just a basic account, im kind of relieved you know. Bank tellers told me that as long as I will have good and more transactions in my bank, ill be able to create good credit standing.

Lloyds bank teller told me that it's a bit impossible that I will be added to my husband's account as my credit standing is still different from my husband and it won't make any sense and they don't think they can do that (adding me to my husband's bank account) Still waiting for the outcome of my appointment with nat west and baclays next week, if both of those wont work, we might get an appointment with lloyds and see what they can do as my husband is willing to add me on his bank account or just creat a joint account

Dedworth
23rd October 2014, 10:09
I'd avoid the likes of Sharkleys & NatWest and check out Nationwide

imagine
23rd October 2014, 11:14
Good luck with the interview. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
23rd October 2014, 12:35
I'd avoid the likes of Sharkleys & NatWest and check out Nationwide

Nationwide is a sensible choice. Just call in the bank and ask for a form to fill in to open a bank a/c, don't ask questions just follow the instructions on the form Jen.

Also, good luck for tomorrow's interview! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
23rd October 2014, 14:13
We use Nationwide for bank accounts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
23rd October 2014, 16:44
We use Nationwide for bank accounts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

One of the best! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
23rd October 2014, 17:33
I've generally been Nationwide however hacked off with their pitiful interest last year I opened a Santander 123 Current account which I fund from my Nationwide Flex a/c. Here's the spec :-

The current account that pays you cashback on your household bills and interest on your balance for £2 a month.

What you get

Monthly cashback on selected household bills.

Monthly interest of 3% AER (variable) on balances between £3,000 and £20,000.

Calculate how much cashback and interest you could earn.

To get cashback on your household bills and interest on your balance, just follow these steps:

Pay a monthly account fee of £2.

Fund the account with £500 a month (excludes internal transfers). A minimum balance of £1,000 is needed to receive interest.

Set up at least 2 Direct Debits. You’ll get monthly cashback on selected household bills you pay by Direct Debit

1% cashback on water and council tax bills and the first £1,000 you pay towards your Santander monthly residential mortgage payment

2% cashback on gas and electricity bills

3% cashback on mobile and home phone bills, broadband and paid for TV packages.

These cash backs more than cover the £2 fee

DAnn
5th February 2015, 17:42
I tried opening myself a mobile contract but I got declined.

Barclays, manager told me that my documents are good to go and they won't ask for my national insurance number if its just a basic account, im kind of relieved you know. Bank tellers told me that as long as I will have good and more transactions in my bank, ill be able to create good credit standing.

Hi, what was the reason why you were declined to open a mobile contract?

Another question, is having a basic account in Barclays useful enough for when looking for a job?

Thanks in advance!

Arthur Little
5th February 2015, 18:06
Another question, is having a basic account in Barclays useful enough for when looking for a job?

I would certainly say so, D'Ann. Judging by the experience of my wife (who taught at a High School for over 20 years in the Philippines ... but has been unable to find a suitable job since coming to the UK in 2009). Although not working ... :anerikke: ... she'd no problem in opening a current account of her own with the Bank of Scotland shortly after arrival. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Trefor
5th February 2015, 18:18
Job hunting is horrible. You just have to keep trying and one day the chance will come along and you can prove the 'rejectors' wrong!

Banks are strange creatures. Barclays didn't want Rose when she applied for an account while on a Fianceé visa, but Nationwide did with no issues. Barclays lose out now since she's earning. The only problem is that Nationwide don't seem to offer contactless cards, I use the feature all the time on my credit and debit cards.

Rose took a mobile contract soon after arriving, she went on a monthly with Vodafone. They wanted a £50 deposit (credit) on her account. However she got terrible service and left after around 6 months and went Gifgaf PAYG, much better. Still, she got the statements etc. which all helped.

Building up a credit record is hard to start with. But it should be possible over time to get things like a credit card with a low limit (once you have a account for say 6 months your bank or building society should have an option for you).

DAnn
5th February 2015, 18:31
Thank you Arthur Little! :)

DAnn
5th February 2015, 18:41
It can be stressful and it's making me a bit anxious at times. I have lost track of how many CV's I have created and given out - both to agencies and other establishments.

I have a proven track record of 15 years of employment in the hospitality industry in Asia. Worked for 5-star hotels almost non-stop till I resigned in 2012 so that I can prepare, get organised and get married and settle down here in the UK with my hubby.

I finally arrived here in mid-2014 but that meant being unemployed so I could concentrate on processing things and we did not expect that things will take so long anyway. So now, I am having to explain the last two years of being unemployed and, of course, I do not have any work experience here in the UK :doh Tough!

I feel bad for my husband because he is paying for everything. He does not mind really, but I am also not used to not earning or being dependent. All my life I have worked and I'm used to having my own income. I feel bad for myself too! But so far, no one has given me a chance to prove what I can do! They don't know what they are missing, really.

I know what I am missing though. Sad, sad, sad! :bigcry: