PDA

View Full Version : The Filipino's Online Buying Behavior

raynaputi
19th October 2014, 15:45
(Editor's note: This article was written by MoneyMax, the Philippines’ foremost online platform for comparing financial and telecom products and services, for ABS-CBNnews.com. Find out more at MoneyMax.ph (http://www.moneymax.ph/))

MANILA - Filipinos are among Asia Pacific's most active Internet users and the ones most proactive in product research that includes comparing product prices, reading consumer reviews and searching for the best deals.

Ordinary Filipino opt to conduct extensive research, before actually purchasing online.

However, most of the time, only 34 percent of these online searches convert to actual sales. That is smaller compared to 64 percent in our Asian neighbors and 49 percent globally.

The most visited sites are music downloads sites (43.9 percent), personal, education or professional development portals (40.3 percent) and computer software websites (33.9 percent).

But the sites where Filipinos actually buy from are app stores, supermarkets, and airlines.

People choose sites that are environment-friendly (78.6 percent), while 62.5 percent choose sites that donate to a good cause.

Filipinos are generally cautious on online shopping because of security (89 percent), speed of transaction (88.5 percent), convenience of payment methods (88.5 percent), 80 percent price/values, return or exchange policy, website reputation, online review, customer service, low delivery charges, and use of various payment methods.

Because of the continuous rise of Internet use among Filipinos, more and more E-commerce companies are starting to penetrate the different industries including car and auto trading, transportation services, food and recreation, and even the financial sector. You can even buy car insurance plans online or apply for a salary loan.

According to Digital Filipino founder Janette Toral, in the years to come, the Philippines needs new business models that are in line with our economic situation and the needs of the rising generation.

Do you buy goods and services online? Here’s an infographic of these statistics:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sites/default/files/a_images/access/101914_info.jpg

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/10/19/14/what-buying-behavior-filipinos-online (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/10/19/14/what-buying-behavior-filipinos-online)

Terpe
19th October 2014, 16:00
We do buy quite often online. Mostly from Amazon.

Surprising to see that only 5.1% of online buyers in the Philippines use Amazon :Erm:

raynaputi
19th October 2014, 16:55

Surprising to see that only 5.1% of online buyers in the Philippines use Amazon :Erm:

Amazon doesn't have a hub in the Philippines yet and all items are still coming overseas, hence a lot aren't using it because it will usually be charged by Customs. I have a friend who buys books in Amazon because it's cheap but he still has to pay extra for shipping. Unlike Ebay, which already have plenty of sellers coming from the Philippines. There's also another online shop (same as Ebay) based in the Philippines called Lazada which is gaining popularity among consumers.

Terpe
19th October 2014, 17:14
Interesting, thanks Rayna :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
19th October 2014, 17:33

Apart from the occasional Tesco shop online, I only shop online with Amazon. Although after Amazon logistic's attempt at delivering my last parcel last week, I don't think I will be using them as much anymore. Well not until their drivers can read roadsigns and not lie 4 days running!

Michael Parnham
19th October 2014, 20:32
Don't buy anything online too afraid, besides wouldn't know how to pay!:Erm:

Dedworth
19th October 2014, 22:00
Apart from the occasional Tesco shop online, I only shop online with Amazon. Although after Amazon logistic's attempt at delivering my last parcel last week, I don't think I will be using them as much anymore. Well not until their drivers can read roadsigns and not lie 4 days running!

Other than FedEx, DHL, TNT & UPS the rest of the couriers employ a lot of dodgy so called "asylum seekers" who've jumped on the Treasure Island gravy train