PDA

View Full Version : Kidnappings in the phillipines?

symonh2000
14th January 2006, 21:54
Hi I am planning a visit to Manila in the very near future, but have read on a british travel website there is a risk of kidnapping throughout the Philipines. Is this a cause for concern or it it scaremongering?
As I need to put my families mind at rest before I go.
Thanks.
Simon.

walesrob
14th January 2006, 22:26
Originally posted by symonh2000@Jan 14 2006, 08:54 PM
Hi I am planning a visit to Manila in the very near future, but have read on a british travel website there is a risk of kidnapping throughout the Philipines. Is this a cause for concern or it it scaremongering?
Thanks.
Simon.

Quoted post

Hi Simon welcome to Filipino UK :)

Theres always an element of risk travelling anywhere in the world, Manila is no different. Use common sense when travelling anywhere in the Philippines - keep a close eye on your wallet, try not to wear too much jewellery, dress simply (i.e. jeans and t-shirt!).

The FCO have regular updates on travelling to Philippines from here:

FCO Philippines (http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386343)

It really isn't all that bad - the keyword here is be aware at all times. Having been to Manila 5 times, I'm more concerned about taxi drivers trying to rip me off more than anything else :lol:

Have a great trip!

ginapeterb
14th January 2006, 23:38
Originally posted by walesrob@Jan 14 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Simon welcome to Filipino UK :)

Theres always an element of risk travelling anywhere in the world, Manila is no different. Use common sense when travelling anywhere in the Philippines - keep a close eye on your wallet, try not to wear too much jewellery, dress simply (i.e. jeans and t-shirt!).

The FCO have regular updates on travelling to Philippines from here:

FCO Philippines (http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386343)

It really isn't all that bad - the keyword here is be aware at all times. Having been to Manila 5 times, I'm more concerned about taxi drivers trying to rip me off more than anything else :lol:

Have a great trip!

Quoted post

Symon, Rob has given very good advice, Metro Manila, province of Luzon, the Islands that form Western Visayas, ( leyte, Samar, Mindoro, Romblon, Panay, Negros, Bohol) arre very safe, just a little bit of problems in some areas, ) parts of the Southern Islands of Mindanao are not safe for travellers, the mountains to the central part of Mindanao, can be a bit dodgy, but you wont be going there, unless you are wanting mountain warfare training, Just be careful in Davao City, you might wish to consider having a guard with you, he can carry a automatic hand gun, (see Keith about this), the worst of the trouble is the Sulo Islands, your unlikely to go there, the only threats are from the Moro Islamic Front (MIF) And the Abu Sayaf Group, these are Muslim fundamentalists, they blow up, sports halls, super ferries, and throw hand grenades into crowded places, they have attacked Davao Airport in the past, and other towns close to the coast, just be aware that its there and real, Foreigners are generally a target in Mindanao as they are and easy bargaining tool, there have been cases of foreigners being kidnapped, including an Italian national on a tourist trip, try to keep out of areas that are shown on the British Embassy website.

Hope this helps, if you are on Negros Occidental, keep out of the village of Isabela, I know the rebels hang out in the rice paddies, hehehehehehe,

PETE

deepete
15th January 2006, 00:07
The other guys have said it all really, we never take any expensive jewellery or watches, the worst bandits are the close family whom my wife finds it very difficult to say no to when they start admiring what she`s wearing.

Bad things can happen anywhere, most of the kidnapping in the P.I. is on the Chinese and Koreans for ransome. Dont walk around looking like a tourist, with a map in one hand, be careful who you accept a drink from etc etc.

My daughter ,at 20 and blonde, backpacked around Luzon right up to the rice terraces and South around Samar without problems.

I like Manilla and always feel safe,but I always try to be aware of whats around me, the safest place in London is Soho.

Peter

Pauldo
15th January 2006, 01:46
Originally posted by symonh2000@Jan 14 2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks.
Simon.

Quoted post

I lived there for nearly ten years. Don't recall being kidnapped myself, but there were some very vague weeks when I was never sure where I was, or who I was for that matter :unsure:

;)

Admin
15th January 2006, 11:56
We took over a load of crap jewellry from Argos to give away when we went :lol:

The maid stole a set of earings....bitch :xxmixed-smiley-017: and they were worth £1.99 :NoNo: :icon_lol:

symonh2000
15th January 2006, 14:11
Cheers guys, it seems like it just needs a bit of common sense like you would if you went anywhere really.
My mum almost got robbed in spain so it can happen anywher I suppose.
Simon.

Eljohno
15th January 2006, 14:31
Originally posted by symonh2000@Jan 15 2006, 01:11 PM
Cheers guys, it seems like it just needs a bit of common sense like you would if you went anywhere really.
Simon.

Quoted post

Hi Simon,
it is true what Pete said that the southern parts of mindanao are not safe but when you are in any poor country there is always an element of risk.

Just keep expensive things out of site and have a great time...

John

Admin
15th January 2006, 15:12
I enjoyed Davao....constantly running the gauntlet.....no white men......armed guards & police everywhere.....need to wear flak jacket.....have to go out with others, pref big men......felt just like Moss Side :yikes:

Pauldo
15th January 2006, 20:13
:huh:
Originally posted by symonh2000@Jan 15 2006, 02:11 PM
Simon.

Quoted post

How do you 'almost' get robbed? :Hellooo: You're either robbed, or not robbed ;)

I 'almost' got shot in several countries, but nobody had a gun :huh:

Admin
15th January 2006, 20:43
Now your just being silly Paul :Rasp: :D

symonh2000
9th April 2006, 20:07
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; Jan 15 2006, 07&#58;13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif

How do you &#39;almost&#39; get robbed? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif You&#39;re either robbed, or not robbed style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

I &#39;almost&#39; got shot in several countries, but nobody had a gun style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif
[/b][/quote]

A guy was about to snatch my mums bag, until my dad saw him and gave him a knuckle sandwich. Thats how she was almost robbed.. lol

Pauldo
9th April 2006, 21:51
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(symonh2000 &#064; Apr 9 2006, 08&#58;07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A guy was about to snatch my mums bag, until my dad saw him and gave him a knuckle sandwich. Thats how she was almost robbed.. lol
[/b][/quote]
Too be honest, that is how you can almost get shot. A lot of snatchers and pickpockets work in teams, with several guys watching the back of the key &#39;crim&#39;. If it looks like he is going to get busted, or he catches a knuckle sandwich, they will jump in with fists, knives, or worse, to get their buddy away free.

Again, no reason to worry, for I lived there ten years, got drunk as a rattle snake on many occasions, deliberatly went to scary places, and never got mugged or robbed.

You&#39;re probably safer in Manila than in London&#33; I&#39;ve certainly walked the streets of Manila at 4am on many occasions, barely comatose, staggering like a good &#39;un, with no hassles
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/xxparty-smiley-050.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/66.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/party-smiley-012.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Beer.gif

Admin
10th April 2006, 09:16
But then, you do look like the mad axeman of Old London Town style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

Dayko2006
14th June 2006, 21:13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jan 15 2006, 11&#58;56 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
We took over a load of crap jewellry from Argos to give away when we went style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

The maid stole a set of earings....bitch style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/xxmixed-smiley-017.gif and they were worth £1.99 style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/NoNo.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_lol.gif
[/b][/quote]

hhaha hahha i still laughing 199 pounds lang