PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the UK

nitrox
23rd September 2014, 09:07
Four weeks or so to go, and then I'm back on British soil with my family after a 6 year absence. Although I am very excited to get back to the real world I do have to admit I have some trepidation about returning.

The first is after such a long period away I wonder how things of changed, and how I have changed myself since leaving the UK, will I pick up friendships I had when I left? Will they still feel the same? Or will they think I am too different a person compared to who I was 6 years ago. My best friend back home for sure will be the same, we speak on the phone at least once a month and it's like I never left, the rest I'm not so sure.

Life in the Philippines has for sure "hardened me" to certain aspects of life which I think I had more compassion about before.

I also wonder what the attitude towards my wife will be like, will I be faced with the standard "mail order bride" comments? I hope not as I'm 34 and my wife is 32 and she is very westernized as her parents live in the States and she's well educated.

I can't help but wonder what waits for us in the UK. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

-Dan.

SimonH
23rd September 2014, 09:25
I'm sure it'll all be fine, you're more likely to be regaling your friends with your exploits in the Philippines and them asking why on earth did you want to come back :smile:
As for "mail order bride" comments, I doubt you'll get any (if you do, it'll be pure jealousy).

Ako Si Jamie
23rd September 2014, 09:29
I had all that mail order bride nonsense and I hadn't even married her or brought her over.

I don't think you should worry about what other people think. Just look forward to a new start with your partner.

grahamw48
23rd September 2014, 09:54
Don't worry mate.

It's the same old dump it's always been. Even showing the same repeats on TV. :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
23rd September 2014, 10:31
You'll be fine Dan, your age is in your favour, good luck to you both! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

nitrox
23rd September 2014, 10:36
Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Hopefully we can settle in quickly and start as we mean to go on. I'm hoping there is a small Filipino community within the Nottingham/East Midlands area.

-Dan.

fred
23rd September 2014, 12:13
I have to say..I don't envy your trip back to the UK.. Love life here far too much to even consider it..
I've had to leave prematurely in the past and it takes me about 2 months to get used to things in the UK again..before you know though, it's like you never left..
The memories of the R.P do tend to linger though..At least for me.
My Mrs was with me in the UK for around 20 years.. I think I had the mail order bride comment once only.. His problem was I had seen his Mrs, so I said, "Where did you find yours? Battersea dogs home?"

It's just banter...Don't worry about it.

Harry T
25th September 2014, 14:57
Nitrox, I don't know what it was like where you lived prior to your emigration, but I suspect you will be amazed at how Europeanised we have become.

Is there any chance you can learn Polski before you return? Because doing that will certainly make you feel more at home..

Good luck to you..

Slip
25th September 2014, 15:04
Lol, I had a similar experience like Fred. Someone at work said I had to order a woman from the Philippines because I couldn't get an English girlfriend.

So like Fred said, I replied: "Yeah, but I've seen your wife and that was enough to put me off English women if she sets the standards".

He got the hump and rarely speaks to me now :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
25th September 2014, 15:57
Thanks for the replies guys, it's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Hopefully we can settle in quickly and start as we mean to go on. I'm hoping there is a small Filipino community within the Nottingham/East Midlands area.

-Dan.

My Maritess is still looking locally and we're in the East Midlands! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
25th September 2014, 17:29

-Dan.

Give us a shout, we are in the East Mids also. Same age too. Ok, it may say 55 on my passport, but I feel 30 every day.

Michael Parnham
25th September 2014, 19:15
Give us a shout, we are in the East Mids also. Same age too. Ok, it may say 55 on my passport, but I feel 30 every day.

Like it!:icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
25th September 2014, 19:25
Give us a shout, we are in the East Mids also. Same age too. Ok, it may say 55 on my passport, but I feel 30 every day.I bet you didn't feel 30 yesterday! :wink:

Seriously though - might be an idea to change job. That company you work for sound like a right bunch of bullies.:thumbsdown:

stevewool
25th September 2014, 19:28
Thanks Jamie, i am too old to change, but i am not to old to say stuff you i am off and work no more,

nitrox
26th September 2014, 02:52
My Maritess is still looking locally and we're in the East Midlands! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks guys, I will give you a shout once we are settled. I think it would be nice for her to see a familiar face so to speak.