PDA

View Full Version : Tips when Travelling by Ferry in the Philippines

KeithD
10th September 2014, 19:31
The Philippines is an archipelago. It is composed of over seven thousand one hundred seven islands and you can just imagine that land transportation can only get you so far? In the Philippines, there are various transportation modes. You can travel by air when you are going to popular destinations, but more often, locals and even some of the tourists arrive at their destinations in the Philippines by travelling by ferry. As a tourist or a visitor, here are a few things you should always expect and prepare so that you will not be caught off guard and your travel plans will not be ruined due to lack of preparation.

Do Your Own Research.– Before going to any new place, it is always a good idea to do a little research about the trip you will have, as well as the relevant information regarding the place you are going to visit. In this way you will be informed of your whereabouts and you will not be easily fooled or scammed. Do not trust the people you meet along the journey.

Know the Schedules – almost all ferries have some sort of schedule. Make sure you figure out the exact schedule of your ferry and make sure you arrive early. Remember, the ferries sometimes do not usually follow the schedule they post and they regularly change the ferry schedules to suit the situation. Sometimes the ferries leave earlier than scheduled or later than scheduled, and often the schedule varies depending on sea conditions and the mood of the pilot. To sum it up, be flexible with your travel times.

Pack Light– have light luggage, especially when you are going to ride on a RoRo, since even if you do get a cabin bunk, there are still other people in your room and it is preferable to keep track of your belongings. If possible, pack your stuff into a backpack and a separate bag, and lock it.

Prepare for Fares & Fees.– if you are going to have a trip on a ferry, you will be expected to pay for some fees and fares. Every passenger, locals and foreigners, will be expected to pay the fare for the ferry ticket. Just show up before your trip (be early), find the proper booking desk, then pay for your fare. You will then be ushered through security, and may have to pay a terminal fee. This fee usually starts at PHP 50 and if you are a foreigner, you are expected to pay for an environmental fee.

http://filipinaroses.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Philippine-Ferry-300x199.jpg
(http://filipinaroses.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Philippine-Ferry.jpg)
http://filipinaroses.com/tips-when-travelling-by-ferry-in-the-philippines/ | Ferry in the Philippines, Philippine Ferry, Tips when Travelling by Ferry in the Philippines

Terpe
10th September 2014, 22:23
Done quite a few ferries large and small.
On the larger ones I try to get hold of a life jacket and stay on the upper deck.:biggrin:

On the smaller ones it's been mostly a closed cabin with allocated seating. Not much to do other than try to get close to the exit doors :biggrin:

Generally had good trips but sometimes get some funny and scary moments :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
10th September 2014, 22:29
Don't travel at night and be careful how you board. It's easy to fall into the drink. :icon_lol:

Pete/London
11th September 2014, 11:04
Went on an overnight ferry from Roxas to Caticlan. mad rush to get on and rent a foam mattress from the on board office, then run to the front of the ship and bag your piece of territory. If you need the facilities you have to pick your way through all the families camped out on the floor.

Then out comes the food, saucepans of this and that, rice, flasks of coffee, water, after that everyone crashes out and you can hear a pin drop. I could not sleep a wink, rough seas and confined to this large area, the ship felt like we were going through a typhoon, but everyone else slept on. If I had seen this ship in daylight I don't think I would have got on it. Calling it a rust bucket would be a compliment.

There was 8 of us in our party and when we returned to Manila I bit the bullet and shelled out for flights.

Michael Parnham
11th September 2014, 12:04
Most ferries suffer from poor maintenance but my two favourites are Weesam and Super Ferry. Having said that, it's always a big risk when using ferries! :Erm:

Arthur Little
11th September 2014, 12:10
Having said that, it's always a big risk when using ferries! :Erm:

:iagree: ... ferry risky!

Ako Si Jamie
15th September 2014, 22:55
Oh...and rule number one....check the weather forecast beforehand.

:yeahthat: