PDA

View Full Version : Sixteen ... Too Young To Vote

Arthur Little
10th September 2014, 15:05
16 ... currently the earliest school leaving age for UK pupils.

Yet somewhat "miraculously", Scotland's Nationalist Administration managed to pass legislation that would grant *kids in their mid teens (I use the *word loosely!) the privilege of being able to cast their votes. No prizes for guessing WHY - even if (as subsequently transpired) :icon_rolleyes: such a bold initiative failed to take root in its intended purpose.

It could only happen up here ... :anerikke: ... or could it?

:olddude: ... when folk of my generation were growing up you had to be 21 or over to be eligible - then, at a later stage (I forget which year it was exactly) the qualifying age became 18 - despite the fact you could legally marry at sweet sixteen.

It would be interesting to read members' general consensus of opinion on this issue. :smile:

les_taxi
10th September 2014, 15:17
Simple manipulation by Salmond. Easy to impress on young minds, flag-waving nationalism. Get 'Braveheart' on Scottish TV next wed night. Job done.

Dedworth
10th September 2014, 15:28
I'm totally against it along with allowing the EU & Warsaw Pact citizens to vote

les_taxi
10th September 2014, 17:20
I have given up on them now. It's like when a top player at your club states he wants a move. At first you're gutted, then as he demands this and that you think well, off you go then .... you are not bigger than my club.

You want to leave the club - then please go - we will manage perfectly well (and often better) without you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
10th September 2014, 20:27
I have given up on them now. It's like when a top player at your club states he wants a move. At first you're gutted, then as he demands this and that you think well, off you go then .... you are not bigger than my club.

You want to leave the club - then please go - we will manage perfectly well (and often better) without you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:omg: ... wouldn't like to be forced to leave filipino/uk if Scotland opts to quit the Union.

les_taxi
10th September 2014, 21:27
Sorry Arthur, it's just that some Scots are coming across very Anti-English :mad:

joebloggs
10th September 2014, 22:24
Under UK law you're still a minor under 18, thou you can work at 16 :cwm25:

Ako Si Jamie
10th September 2014, 22:35
Sorry Arthur, it's just that some Scots are coming across very Anti-English :mad:

Nothing new there! :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
10th September 2014, 22:36
Simple manipulation by Salmond. Easy to impress on young minds, flag-waving nationalism. Get 'Braveheart' on Scottish TV next wed night. Job done.Exactly! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
10th September 2014, 22:39
I really can't see the point of comparing minimum ages for this and that.

Voting at 16 ? Ridiculous. :NoNo:

Personally I'd make it 30 (again?) when hopefully people have at least a little sense and life experience.

Ako Si Jamie
11th September 2014, 22:50
Simple manipulation by Salmond. Easy to impress on young minds, flag-waving nationalism. Get 'Braveheart' on Scottish TV next wed night. Job done.
Otherwise known as Salmondella poisoning!

Abigail
12th September 2014, 09:47
Before I start, I will just say I do not mean to offend with this statement but, as someone who I think is a little closer to the age of 16 than most of you gents commenting here, I think you are completely underestimating the abilities and intelligence of the young people. I agree there are many who are too immature to really make an informed decision however there are a large number who have a genuine interest and understanding of politics so why should they not be allowed to have a say in a decision that they are going to have to live with and that will more likely have more of an impact on their lives than it will on us older ones as they will have to live with it for longer?

les_taxi
12th September 2014, 11:12
Well you said it yourself that many are too immature to vote at 16.myself at 16 I would have voted yes fuelled by nationalism. All I was into was women, cheap cider and motorcyclesI I look back and reckon by the age of 19 I would of had more maturity and would be much more informed.

Abigail
12th September 2014, 11:19
All I was into was women, cheap cider and motorcycles .

You mean this is different now? heehee :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
12th September 2014, 11:22
Before I start, I will just say I do not mean to offend with this statement but, as someone who I think is a little closer to the age of 16 than most of you gents commenting here, I think you are completely underestimating the abilities and intelligence of the young people. I agree there are many who are too immature to really make an informed decision however there are a large number who have a genuine interest and understanding of politics so why should they not be allowed to have a say in a decision that they are going to have to live with and that will more likely have more of an impact on their lives than it will on us older ones as they will have to live with it for longer?

If only wisdom had something to do with ability and intelligence. :NoNo:

Many of us are also mature enough to have reared able and intelligent youngsters. Great kids, but at 16, still kids nonetheless.

Let them enjoy their youth. There is little enough of it these days.

les_taxi
12th September 2014, 11:27
You mean this is different now? heehee :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ya got me I'm still the same!

Arthur Little
12th September 2014, 18:09
Hmm ... :gp: there, Abigail ... and, since I was the geezer responsible for initiating this thread, I'd better set the record straight.

Possibly - or, more than likely ... living in Aberdeen as you do - you tuned into the 'BIG, BIG Debate' televised live yesterday evening from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow ... where the Conference Hall was packed to capacity with an audience of several thousand schoolkids from all over Scotland, eager to quiz four key politicians picked to represent BOTH sides of the Campaign.

Having watched it myself, I was surprisingly :grosyeux: impressed by how politically astute these youngsters actually were.

NOT for them, the prospect of being bitten by the 'Salmondella bug' (Jamie mentions in #11) with its vision of a 'Utopian Society' built on false ideologies :nono-1-1: ... they preferred to focus on the realities of how going it alone affected their hopes and aspirations for the future - rather than some unattainable pipe dream.

Michael Parnham
12th September 2014, 18:46
Also I would imagine lots of sixteen year olds would have to vote for whichever way their parents would tell them!

Arthur Little
12th September 2014, 20:11
Also I would imagine lots of sixteen year olds would have to vote for whichever way their parents would tell them!

Not necessarily, Michael :NoNo: ... from watching that programme, it seemed clear to
me, that those kids who took the opportunity to "grill" the panelists, already had their own, individual ideas on where they'd like their futures to lie - in say, ten, twenty or thirty years' time - without bowing to, or being influenced by parental pressure.

grahamw48
12th September 2014, 20:56
What sort of kids would one expect to turn up for a political panel show...ready with questions ? :Erm:

Dedworth
12th September 2014, 21:02
What sort of kids would one expect to turn up for a political panel show...ready with questions ? :Erm:

Miss Piggy ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neewy2WaBKg

grahamw48
12th September 2014, 21:04
:icon_lol: Exactly. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
12th September 2014, 22:22
The PC Brigade has it's fair share of pontificating youngsters! :yawn:

Arthur Little
13th September 2014, 01:06
The PC Brigade has it's fair share of pontificating youngsters! :yawn:

Yeah, well ... Dedworth's marvellous portrayal of Alex Salmond as North Korean President, Kim Jong-un (see #75 of the thread, 'Scotland Decides') is certainly politically correct ... graphically, at least! :icon_lol:

bigmarco
13th September 2014, 01:16
I believe Salmond will be putting forward his ideas for Scotlands defence policy in the event of a yes vote.

Arthur Little
13th September 2014, 01:29
Now Salmond is a cocky wee sh:censored:te
Thinking that he is always right!
But wait till Thursday comes along ...
When the Scots' Electorate proves 'im wrong! :wink:

Abigail
15th September 2014, 09:23
Arthur, I am not saying the question shouldn't be raised, and as I say there are certainly some teens who do not care about a sensible decision. However there are a large number of youngsters nowadays becoming more and more involved in politics and who have a good understanding of what is going on and I was simply saying is it not fair that they have the right to vote in what is such a huge debate.

Michael, I think your comment about them voting for what their parents want is not true either. I mean, really, how many 16 year olds do you know that do what they are told! lol

Arthur Little
16th September 2014, 11:45
Arthur, I am not saying the question shouldn't be raised, and as I say there are certainly some teens who do not care about a sensible decision. However there are a large number of youngsters nowadays becoming more and more involved in politics and who have a good understanding of what is going on

Oh, indeed, Abigail ... and, as you'll see from my response in #17 above, I gradually came round to the same line of thinking myself, after watching that programme I've mentioned. :smile:

bigmarco
16th September 2014, 11:57
I've been quite impressed by some of the youngsters from both sides of the debate. Personally it makes sense to me to involve them in the process as soon as possible. After all we're quick enough to put a gun in their hands and send them off to some hell hole in defence of democracy.

les_taxi
16th September 2014, 12:19
Yes but equally the ones who would not impress you do not get airplay. You only see the selected more articulate ones. At 16 myself and my mates were busy with other things lol

SimonH
16th September 2014, 12:21
After all we're quick enough to put a gun in their hands and send them off to some hell hole in defence of democracy.

Have they brought back National Service :Jump:

grahamw48
16th September 2014, 14:23
The only reason any political party would want to give to give 16 year-olds the vote is because they consider such children to be impressionable, and useful for their cause.

For goodness sake. They may well live to be a hundred now.

Let them have some youth. :NoNo:

les_taxi
16th September 2014, 15:03
The only reason any political party would want to give to give 16 year-olds the vote is because they consider such children to be impressionable, and useful for their cause

Exactly :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Abigail
16th September 2014, 15:16
There are a large percentage of adults that are just as impressionable in a debate like this as it has got the interest of people who don't normally pay any attention to politics and therefore don't know anything about it. In my eyes they are just as dangerous as so called impressionable youths.

grahamw48
16th September 2014, 16:27
Who said anything about impressionable people being dangerous ? :Erm:

I'd have thought it was those attempting to manipulate young (or ignorant) minds who were potentially the dangerous ones.

bigmarco
16th September 2014, 16:31
Have they brought back National Service :Jump:

Not as far as I'm aware but some might argue it wouldn't be a bad thing .

Abigail
16th September 2014, 16:33
Sorry Graham my use of the word dangerous was perhaps wrong. But I just meant there are many adults who are no more knowledgeable than the younger voters and yet there us no question of them being allowed to vote.

I totally agree the politicians are the dangerous ones no matter what side they are on!

fred
16th September 2014, 16:38
Sorry Graham my use of the word dangerous was perhaps wrong. But I just meant there are many adults who are no more knowledgeable than the younger voters and yet there us no question of them being allowed to vote.

Possibly...But at least they have paid more tax.
That has to count for something surely?

grahamw48
16th September 2014, 18:59
A lot of the older ones shouldn't be allowed to reproduce, nevermind vote...but don't start me on that. :NoNo:

grahamw48
16th September 2014, 19:02
Talking of which, at least Salmond has managed to move on from his TV show....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3H40hRaoTM

Arthur Little
18th September 2014, 03:54
Talking of which, at least Salmond has managed to move on from his TV show....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3H40hRaoTM

Ah ... Gregor Fisher as the infamous - and very comical - Rab C Nesbitt ... hilarious! :laugher: Loved that show. :biggrin:

Actually ... his onscreen wife, the actress Elaine C Smith, is a staunch supporter of Scottish Independence. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
18th September 2014, 09:29
I thought I saw her on the news last night Arthur. :Erm:

Agree on Rab C...one of the funniest things to come out of Scotland. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Remember the Hamlet Cigars ad too ? :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvNdhriwGuM