PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Driving in the Philippines

KeithD
7th September 2014, 17:04
In the Philippines, driving safely is very important. But as human beings, we want to make sure that we always ensure our safety on the roads. This is done by minimizing the risks of getting into trouble, or an accident. During your visit to the Philippines, no matter who you are, no matter what you drive or where you are headed, your SAFETY should always be the utmost priority. Here are some tips to stay safe when driving on the roads in the Philippines.

Always check your side mirrors and rear view mirrors – especially when you are changing lanes. One thing about most Philippine roads is that they can be very congested. Unfortunately, most motorists take advantage of other drivers and they tend to overtake the moment they see an opening where their vehicle can pass. This kind of thinking can lead to a high number of vehicular accidents every day.

Adjust according to speed limits – always follow traffic rules. So if the sign says maintain your speed at one hundred kilometers per hour, then do it, no more, no less regardless of what others are doing around you. The police tend to target tourists more than locals. This tip is very important and relevant, especially when you are driving under the rain. So always keep this in mind.

Never use a high beam – well, use it sparingly in the countryside, because it is annoying to other drivers, and can also very dangerous. When on the road, glaring lights can be a distraction to other drivers, and could get someone injured or even worse, killed. Use it only when the road is too dim or whenever you have to warn a pedestrian of your oncoming vehicle.

Always use proper signals – you should use it at the right time. As a driver, you should start to practice regularly using the correct use of signals. Not only to keep you safe, but also to inform other traffic where you are going. Some drivers may cause problem due to miscommunication with the proper signals, while others will not use them at all.
The traffic in the Philippines will surely test you; these tips will be more than enough to keep you safe on the roads while having your stay in the Philippines. Always keep your composure whenever you are driving, never get into an argument. Keep cool, calm, and a low profile. Drive safely.

http://filipinaroses.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Jeepney_overloaded-300x197.jpg (http://filipinaroses.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Jeepney_overloaded.jpg)
http://filipinaroses.com/tips-for-driving-in-the-philippines/ | Driving in the Philippines, jeepney, Philippine jeepney, Tips for Driving in the Philippines

Ako Si Jamie
7th September 2014, 22:43
Oncoming vehicles which flash their lights mean the exact opposite in the Philippines, I believe. :Erm:

cheekee
7th September 2014, 23:17
I will add...

When riding motorbikes/scooters watch for Jeepneys and Taxis. They will pull over often to the right with no indicators or indication. Coaches and buses will overtake you even if the stop is only a hundred yards ahead and then slam on the brakes. I found Ceres coaches in Cebu particularly bad for this. Motorbikes always pull away just before the lights turn from green to red. So do some cars. Be aware of this as you can be left sitting there with loads of bike whizzing past you and cars pulling away and everyone beeping.

As a foreign driver always have your driving licence with you. You can drive for up to 30 days on a UK full licence and then you need a filipino licence. If the police stop you and you don't have your documents, they can and will impound the vehicle with a fee payable to get it back.

Helmets need to be stamped to be legal. Hired bikes can have bad tyres and 2 of the 3 bikes I have hired over there had punctures. Check the bike over if you hire one and ensure its safe to ride. Roads can be bumpy and you may well need the services of one of the many vulcanising shops. If you plan a long trip its good to make sure the tires are sound as you don't want to end up in the middle of no where. If you do though there may be some locals who know someone who will help you for a fee lol.

I write this from my experiences riding scooters/motorbikes in Cebu. I love riding there and have seen some amazing places. The driving style in the Phils is crazy but it just seems to work lol. I have had some fun.

Riding a scooter around Camotes island we were the only ones wearing a helmet.. There was only one main road and I think I saw maybe 4 cars. No taxis. Everyone had motorbikes. Not one traffic light.
'

KeithD
8th September 2014, 09:40
If the police wave you down at a junction, just keep going, pretend you didn't see them. They usually only have feet to chase you with. :cwm25:

imagine
8th September 2014, 11:10
The drivers here where I live, are mostly ignorant and bad drivers, many get their driving licence (should I say) not in the normal way as we know normal, so many are driving with no real experience.

Expect to be overtaken on either side, do not stop when pedestrians are on the zebra crossing, because they have no right to be on it, just hoot your horn as much as you can, and scowl at them, the pedestrian must stop and let you drive on.

Force your way out at a junction, or you will be waiting all day, again toot toot that horn while you push your way out.

In Manila Cianta area, watch out for motorcycles overtaking traffic by using the pavement; they will treat you, the pedestrian, as if you are not there.

A motor here, if its horn doesn't work, it means :icon_lol::icon_lol:s the motor is no use - it's broken.

imagine
8th September 2014, 11:12
Oh, and please drive at night without lights. :doh

PS: Thinking about Manila, we rode a lot of jeepneys. Out of them all, I only saw one with a speedo meter, and guess what ...

... it didn't work!

Terpe
8th September 2014, 11:18
...........Force your way out at a junction, or you will be waiting all day. Again toot toot that horn while you push your way out..............

Took me a while to gain the confidence and courage to get that right first time driving in Marikina City............but it's so true you have to Take that space.

If there's no space Make it with steely courage.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
8th September 2014, 12:05
You have to be a lunatic to be able to drive in the Philippines :biggrin:

KeithD
8th September 2014, 16:11
You have to be a lunatic to be able to drive in the Philippines :biggrin:

Works for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

cheekee
8th September 2014, 16:30
Works for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

And me lol.

cheekee
8th September 2014, 16:31
If the police wave you down at a junction, just keep going, pretend you didn't see them. They usually only have feet to chase you with. :cwm25:

LOl. I meant the police checkpoints they set up. They stopped me once and then suddenly waved me off lol.

malolos
22nd September 2014, 16:31
I've ordered an army tank so no problems with traffic, I wish.

fred
22nd September 2014, 17:13
Never use a high beam – well, use it sparingly in the countryside, because it is annoying to other drivers, and can also very dangerous. When on the road, glaring lights can be a distraction to other drivers, and could get someone injured or even worse, killed. Use it only when the road is too dim or whenever you have to warn a pedestrian of your oncoming vehicle.

I use my high beam regularly so that I can see the vehicles coming towards me with no lights..
You should see their faces!! :icon_lol: