PDA

View Full Version : start of points based system + english test

joebloggs
2nd November 2007, 12:17
From 2008, a points based system will begin to operate in the United Kingdom. This will manage the flow of individuals wishing to come to or remain in the United Kingdom to work, train or study.

The points based system will be introduced on a phased basis. Tier 1, which aims to attract highly skilled migrants to the United Kingdom, will be the first phase to be introduced from the first quarter of 2008.

One of the requirements of the points based system will be that, in most cases, migrants coming here to undertake skilled or highly skilled work must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have an acceptable standard of English. One way in which applicants can demonstrate this will be by providing evidence that they have passed an English language test.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/newsarchive/pbs_englishlanguagetests

is the english test going to be IELTS ? and is this the start of a clamp down on non europeans ??? :Erm:

bigtombowski
2nd November 2007, 12:57
i for one am glad that this english proficiency is gonna be required. Should have been a long time ago :)

all I am saying is, if i moved to Pakistan and couldn't speak urdu or punjabi, i would not be accepted ... (and in birmingham coz i couldn't speak urdu or punjabi, i wasn't accepted hehehehe)!

In belfast we have thousands and thousands from Hong Kong who come here and can't speak a word of English! grrrr

i can't wait til this requirement comes in :D

and i am glad that mar has amazing english :D hehe

KeithD
2nd November 2007, 13:18
Mancs = 0

bigtombowski
2nd November 2007, 13:27
hahaha

joebloggs
2nd November 2007, 14:23
Mancs = 0

:icon_lol::D:icon_lol:

they've just brought in a points system especially for scousers

with a scale of Negative infinity and beyond ...................... :Bolt:

andypaul
2nd November 2007, 22:12
Many jobs and unis have needed a certain ilets level for a good few years as have some countries.

Did you see Italy have just passed a law allowing them to kick out eu citzens from the country if they return they can face 3 years
i can see the uk and other countries picking this one up soon if Italy gets away with it.

GaryFifer
3rd November 2007, 19:36
Based on qualifications and usefulness to society there is an awful lot of British people that are going to get kicked OUT!

bigtombowski
3rd November 2007, 19:37
Good :D

andypaul
3rd November 2007, 21:14
i for one am glad that this english proficiency is gonna be required. Should have been a long time ago :)

all I am saying is, if i moved to Pakistan and couldn't speak urdu or punjabi, i would not be accepted ... (and in birmingham coz i couldn't speak urdu or punjabi, i wasn't accepted hehehehe)!

In belfast we have thousands and thousands from Hong Kong who come here and can't speak a word of English! grrrr

i can't wait til this requirement comes in :D

and i am glad that mar has amazing english :D hehe

Evening Tom

If mars English is of a very good level i would seriously recomened she takes an Ielts exam takes a day costs 80 quid or so. But looks very good on the CV trust me, as i have stated before my Wife got her first job partly due to the manger seeing she had an ielts pass.

You can't fail ielts they just grade you on reading, writing, listening and speaking, if Mars has any intention of working in the UK it will help her know her strength and weaknesses.

bigtombowski
3rd November 2007, 21:19
thank u :D
my best mate is a PhD, he is chinese and has worked here for about 7 years on an academic level in university in the 2 major universities ... and for him to have any progress he had to take that exam too! lol

i agree :D

thank u for the recommendations

and i will get mar to take it as soon as she wants to look for a job when she comes here :D

thank u mate!

how are u and the wifey doing by the way?

tom

andypaul
3rd November 2007, 21:58
We are both fine thanks its the missus birthday Tuesday so there are massive firework parties to celebrate all over the country.

The missus took the ielts exam in Phill she took it in manila but i think they also ran the exam in other areas around phill.

We used it to show in our visa application that she had a standard which was good enough for a nurse or doctor coming from phill, therefore showing that she would have language skills to work in the UK.

bigtombowski
3rd November 2007, 22:06
cool :D actually, my mate took it in aston university, so he stayed with me wen he woz doing it ... coz i lived in birmingham at the time!