PDA

View Full Version : Boris

Michael Parnham
6th August 2014, 20:17
Well, Boris will get everybody's vote for sure, including mine! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th August 2014, 22:27
I will leave this for the politics pundits on the forum to discuss.

:xxparty-smiley-004:

mickcant
7th August 2014, 14:49
I'd vote for him over Cameron. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
But he is just the lesser of 2 evils :biggrin:
Mick.

joebloggs
7th August 2014, 23:20
He wouldn't get mine or many other peoples votes
We don't need more people like him in Parliament :NoNo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj686CmGGSA

London_Manila
8th August 2014, 00:39
His personal life does not stand up to much scrutiny :biggrin:

Typical Tory Toff who cant keep it inside his trousers ............:do_it:

Falls at the first hurdle with the Tories family values rhetoric

grahamw48
8th August 2014, 10:07
There are skeletons in the cupboard of people from all parties and walks of life.

What I find curious is the dislike in this country for people who are well-educated, successful, and strive to maintain high standards of behaviour, along with good moral values.

Perhaps that is WHY generations of them have helped propel this nation forward, while benefitting others by creating employment for them.

I have no time for those who couldn't even pass their 11+ and have made no effort to improve on that standard since, trying to pull down others who set a good example, both academically and socially.

Parents want their children to do well in life...or so they say, but in reality, any kind of REAL success in this country is greeted by a petty and jealous sour grapes attitude by the idle and the ignorant.

les_taxi
8th August 2014, 10:30
That's a fair point Graham and I agree with you. I pick up some very well off people and they worked hard to get where they are. They definitely are all well educated and even one or two who maybe were not the brightest at school made the most of it. A guy who lives in huge gorgeous house in South Stainley near me made his fortune selling jeans on a market stall in Leeds. I'm not jealous I admire the guy.

SimonH
8th August 2014, 10:46
The mentality of some people is really starting to :piss2: me off.

Someone who's successful in life and has a high standard of living.......... it's not fair they should pay more tax and support the people who can't be bothered to get off their :action-smiley-081:

Politicians that are educated and qualified to do the job.......... bloody toffs who don't know the price of a loaf of bread.

Maybe there's an opportunity for an uneducated, unemployed, union supporting person to go into politics. I'm sure with the apparent support that they'd soon rise through the ranks to become leader of their chosen party, and then the majority of the population would vote for them to become prime minister :Erm:

les_taxi
8th August 2014, 11:20
I don't have a problem with high earners paying more tax, if they did not we would be well short in revenue, the top earners pay the majority of the tax.

Doesn't matter one bit to me if someone is toffee nosed - it's about the abilty to do the job. Could not care about anyone's background as long as they are able to do the job they are employed to do. I don't know the price of a loaf of bread - I would guess about £1.20?

A lot of politicians are clearly intelligent people, private school does give you a better education.

We have a couple of superb private schools here and you can tell how advanced the kids are compared to the local schools.

Again, I have no problem with that - if I was loaded I may have sent my kids there as we all want the best for our kids.

Michael Parnham
8th August 2014, 12:35
Like I once said on another thread, why should footballers be paid more than a Prime Minister? :Erm:

les_taxi
8th August 2014, 13:12
Or golfers, motor racers, tennis players, boxers, pop stars, actors, bankers etc.

grahamw48
8th August 2014, 19:21
It's up to the employers/agents/managers/company advertising budgets and paying public how much sports people, entertainers and celebs are paid.

Market forces.

In a communist country or a totalitarian state, perhaps things would be different.

In most cases we can vote with our feet and our wallets.
I don't pay to go to football matches and pop concerts...or F1, boxing etc.
Also I don't pay extra for dedicated sports channels or buy products marketed by football clubs etc.

les_taxi
8th August 2014, 19:26
I understand the hatred towards footballers and of course they don't justify some of the wages they get - but some of these footballers are the best in the world and anything which is the best you pay more for.

We want to watch them so we pay for the privilege. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
8th August 2014, 19:30
Very true.

As I said...market forces.

joebloggs
8th August 2014, 19:53
What I find curious is the dislike in this country for people who are well-educated, successful, and strive to maintain high standards of behaviour, along with good moral values.

Did you watch the clip, morals :icon_lol:

That's a fair point Graham and I agree with you. I pick up some very well off people and they worked hard to get where they are. They definitely are all well educated and even one or two who maybe were not the brightest at school made the most of it.

Boris must have had a few paper rounds to pay his school fees at Eton college and Oxford or was it a silver-spoon that did it? :wink:

joebloggs
8th August 2014, 19:58
Like I once said on another thread, why should footballers be paid more than a Prime Minister? :Erm:

Because people want to see footballers, who would pay to see Cameron ? He raises money for the Tories from the wife of a former member of President Putin's government by playing tennis :wink:

grahamw48
8th August 2014, 20:10
Did you watch the clip, morals :icon_lol:

Boris must have had a few paper rounds to pay his school fees at Eton college and Oxford or was it a silver-spoon that did it? :wink:

Joe, the man can't help what family he was born into. :NoNo:

Is that all you have to offer ?

Perhaps we should all despise the poor Filipinos because they were born into poverty. :icon_rolleyes:

Michael Parnham
8th August 2014, 20:14
Well I would rather have Clegg, Milliband and Cameron as my neighbours over Footballers! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
8th August 2014, 20:18
Milliband:yikes::icon_lol:

joebloggs
8th August 2014, 20:25

Perhaps we should all despise the poor Filipinos because they were born into poverty. :icon_rolleyes:

No, a bit more on morals for you ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-accused-of-handing-peerages-to-donors-and-cronies-9657961.html

Oh I don't despise people who got off their :action-smiley-081: and did something :xxgrinning--00xx3:

As for poor filipinos, nothing but respect for them or anyone like my misses, who struggled to get thru med school without a sliver-spoon :wink:

Michael Parnham
8th August 2014, 20:30
:yikes::icon_lol:

Don't mean to upset you Les, nothing personal, it's just that they would be decent respectable people. Just my personal opinion because I wouldn't want to live within 50 miles of a football WAG! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
8th August 2014, 20:56

According to a 2007 study, poor but bright children are overtaken by less intelligent classmates from wealthier backgrounds in the very first years of schooling. The children of wealthier parents are more likely to go to the best schools (properties in desirable catchment areas cost on average 42 per cent more), eat the best food, have access to ‘high culture’ and a place to do their homework. They also benefit from a number of other forms of social and cultural ‘capital’ their working-class counterparts lack. As children get older these inequalities are concentrated further. Around 10 per cent of young people at the bottom rung of the social ladder go on to university, compared with over 80 per cent of those from professional or managerial backgrounds. And, as universities minister David Willetts never tires of pointing out, graduates will earn on average £100,000 more over a lifetime than non-graduates.

I'd guess Boris and Cameron were from the 80% and not from the 10% :biggrin:

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2013/10/30/why-working-class-kids-still-get-working-class-jobs/

SimonH
8th August 2014, 22:04
did you watch the clip , morals :icon_lol:

Boris must have had a few paper rounds to pay his school fees at Eton college and Oxford or was it a sliver-spoon that did it :wink:

His family could have more silver spoons than needed to resupply Oxford's canteen, he still needs to get the grades to get accepted :Rasp:

Arthur Little
8th August 2014, 23:14
His family could have more silver spoons than needed to resupply Oxford's canteen, he still needs to get the grades to get accepted :Rasp:

:cwm24: ... whilst I accept your point regarding the importance of good Educational grades, such standards equally apply for entrance into most - if not all - of the State Universities, Simon.

Whereas, ... :anerikke: ... entry into the likes of Oxford and/or Cambridge is much more likely to be [additionally] influenced by candidates' social status!

grahamw48
9th August 2014, 00:40
No, a bit more on morals for you ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-accused-of-handing-peerages-to-donors-and-cronies-9657961.html

Oh I don't despise people who got off their :action-smiley-081: and did something :xxgrinning--00xx3:

As for poor filipinos, nothing but respect for them or anyone like my misses, who struggled to get thru med school without a sliver-spoon :wink:

Sorry Joe, but you'll have to write something sensible to get my attention on what is a serious subject.

No good posting such links for me either. I don't read newspapers...online or off.

On the subject off Boris, I have however followed his career, observed how the man behaves , and heard firsthand reports from constituents of his when he was last an MP.

He is apparently a very different person when not in front of the cameras or being goaded by people who are much bigger fools than they are making him out to be.

London_Manila
9th August 2014, 02:54
As a Londoner i feel that Boris has failed miserably as London Mayor

Yes the deluded public love him as a comical clown but i feel politicians need more than just a few jokes

These Tory Toffs have no idea how real people live in today's UK

They are far removed from normal working people and don't really have a clue as to what's going on

Sorry Graham, but if you feel that the country needs more ex Etonians in Government from their privileged backgrounds then I totally disagree

Cameron has more than enough cronies surrounding him already

Boris bikes = too many killed on London's roads
Boris bus = totally useless overpriced bus and the air con don't work (windows can't be opened)
Boris Island Airport = a total non stater

Made false promises to London's Fire Brigade and London's Underground workers (before he was elected)

Failure to answer the London's assembly members questions properly on a monthly basis
He just sits there and is unaccountable for everything...........

Boris is all about promoting Boris

tiger31
9th August 2014, 03:59

I will never understand the logic of leaders of Town Councils getting paid more than a Prime Minister that runs the whole country.

tiger31
9th August 2014, 04:01
I like Boris because he wants out of Europe plus he,s a bit eccentric and I believe the Tories would win a clear majority if he was installed as Prime Minister

SimonH
9th August 2014, 04:27
Boris bus = totally useless overpriced bus and the air con don't work (windows cant be opened)

Bikes......... How many bikers have been killed on the London roads, and as they're so bad then why are they being introduced across other towns :Erm:

Bus........... Overpriced? Is that the bus or the fare? Jeepneys are the answer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Airport........ is it really such a bad idea, or is it a reaction to BAA saying they'd shut Heathrow if they didn't get their 3rd runway?? :cwm25:

SimonH
9th August 2014, 04:54
:cwm24: ... whilst I accept your point regarding the importance of good Educational grades, such standards equally apply for entrance into most - if not all - of the State Universities, Simon.

Whereas, ... :anerikke: ... entry into the likes of Oxford and/or Cambridge is much more likely to be [additionally] influenced by candidates' social status!

:Erm: State University, as opposed to a private one. With all his family's money why didn't he go to a private one, or was it a case of getting the very best education? :cwm25:

I pressume by the :anerikke: that the additional influence is a guess and not a fact Arthur! :wink:

Michael Parnham
9th August 2014, 05:41
As a Londoner I feel that Boris has failed miserably as London Mayor

Yes, the deluded public love him as a comical clown, but I feel politicians need more than just a few jokes

These Tory Toffs have no idea how real people live in today's UK

They are far removed from normal working people and don't really have a clue as to what's going on

Sorry Graham, but if you feel that the country needs more ex Etonians in Government from their privileged backgrounds then I totally disagree

Cameron has more than enough cronies surrounding him already

Boris bus = totally useless overpriced bus and the air con doesn't work (windows can't be opened)

Made false promises to London's Fire Brigade and London's Underground workers (before he was elected)

Failure to answer the London's Assembly members' questions properly on a monthly basis

He just sits there and is unaccountable for everything...........

Boris is all about promoting Boris

Remember there are a few Toffs within other parties also. Having said that, I don't think it's so important what Party is in power any more, I think it's the person running the country that matters! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
9th August 2014, 09:56
I very much doubt that Boris had anything to do with the design of the bus windows...more likely dictated by some petty H&S EU regulation.

None of the modern buses I've travelled on in the past few years have had opening windows.

But...he's an easy target I suppose.

This class hatred really is illogical and outdated. :NoNo:

les_taxi
9th August 2014, 10:31
This class hatred really is illogical and outdated
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
10th August 2014, 02:58
Bikes......... How many bikers have been killed on the London roads, and as they're so bad then why are they being introduced across other towns :Erm:

Bus........... Overpriced? Is that the bus or the fare? Jeepneys are the answer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Airport........ is it really such a bad idea, or is it a reaction to BAA saying they'd shut Heathrow if they didn't get their 3rd runway?? :cwm25:

A Boris bus costs £355,000 :NoNo:

Actually encouraging people to use bikes in an already congested city and share the same road space with HGVs is fast becoming a bad idea

Of course you living in Maidenhead means you're hardly going to be over the moon about Heathrow's expansion (yes it will happen)

What you nimbys (not in my back yard) dont realize is that everything is already there at Heathrow

Stanstead Gatwick and Luton are not London airports in my book, they are just too far away and 'Boris Island' would be the same

London_Manila
10th August 2014, 03:01
Remember there are a few Toffs within other parties also. Having said that, I don't think it's so important what Party is in power any more, I think it's the person running the country that matters! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

No hatred against toffs here i just feel the tories have far too many at the moment

London_Manila
10th August 2014, 03:14
I very much doubt that Boris had anything to do with the design of the bus windows...more likely dictated by some petty H&S EU regulation.

None of the modern buses I've travelled on in the past few years have had opening windows.

But...he's an easy target I suppose.

This class hatred really is illogical and outdated. :NoNo:

Nothing to do with class hatred and I actually find Boris amusing sometimes

Is it too much to ask for someone as an MP who is not so out of touch with todays Uk inhabitants

These Tory Toffs only started to get anti immigration because Farage gave them a bloody nose

Of course these old Etonians living in some country estate in the middle of nowhere hardly gives them any idea of what its like to live amongst normal people

SimonH
10th August 2014, 06:36
A Boris bus costs £355,000 :NoNo:

Actually encouraging people to use bikes in an already congested city and share the same road space with HGVs is fast becoming a bad idea

Of course you living in Maidenhead means you're hardly going to be over the moon about Heathrow's expansion (yes it will happen)

What you nimbys (not in my back yard) don't realize is that everything is already there at Heathrow

Stanstead Gatwick and Luton are not London airports in my book, they are just too far away and 'Boris Island' would be the same

£355,000 for a bus doesn't sound too bad to me, how does this compare to buses in other capital cities :Erm:

Heathrow expansion is great :xxgrinning--00xx3: Planes are getting bigger and quieter all the time, and I hardly notice them. The main advantage of Heathrow expanding is it creates mores jobs, more jobs means greater demand for houses, and with that and Crossrail coming to Maidenhead I'm quids in :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
10th August 2014, 06:39
Nothing to do with class hatred and I actually find Boris amusing sometimes

Is it too much to ask for someone as an MP who is not so out of touch with todays UK inhabitants

These Tory Toffs only started to get anti immigration because Farage gave them a bloody nose

Of course these old Etonians living in some country estate in the middle of nowhere hardly gives them any idea of what it's liketo live amongst normal people

I'll agree with that because I used to live rural and never set eyes on any foreigners ever in the area I lived! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
10th August 2014, 09:06
I presume by the :anerikke: that the additional influence is a guess and not a fact Arthur! :wink:

:nono-1-1: ... fact! Parents were - without exception - from a professional background, amongst those I've encountered.

SimonH
10th August 2014, 09:15
:nono-1-1: ... fact! Parents were - without exception - from a professional background, amongst those I've encountered.

I'm not saying you're wrong Arthur, but I'm sure the press would have a field day if you could provide them with some evidence that a candidate was shown preferential treatment because of their background :cwm25:

SimonH
10th August 2014, 09:18
OT Arthur, but did you look into Sleep Apnoea like I suggested? I don't recall you mentioning it.

grahamw48
10th August 2014, 10:28
My brother passed the Cambridge entrance exam and was offered a place.

He was also offered a place at Sandhurst.

He decided to take up the offer from the Foreign office, who subsequently sent him to London University.

We are from a working class background and both attended the same schools.

(Don't ask where I went wrong :icon_lol:)

tiger31
10th August 2014, 13:02
Boris WILL become Prime Minister sooner or later - just a matter of time.

Michael Parnham
10th August 2014, 17:09
Boris WILL become Prime Minister sooner or later - just a matter of time.

Of course Brian! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
11th August 2014, 02:36
Boris WILL become prime minister sooner or later - just a matter of time.

I have to agree on that and Cameron probably knows already his days are numbered

andy222
11th August 2014, 11:28
It's up to the employers/agents/managers/company advertising budgets and paying public how much sports people, entertainers and celebs are paid.

Market forces.

In a communist country or a totalitarian state, perhaps things would be different.

In most cases we can vote with our feet and our wallets.
I don't pay to go to football matches and pop concerts...or F1, boxing etc.

Also I don't pay extra for dedicated sports channels or buy products marketed by football clubs etc.

Totally agree Graham. :xxgrinning--00xx3:. And of course I would not vote for bungling Boris or Cameron or any other Tory for that matter. I cant see how a low-paid worker can vote for the Tories. And there are millions of them.

grahamw48
11th August 2014, 11:58
Yep...UKIP for me. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

They're backing Boris too. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
11th August 2014, 12:21
One good thing I feel about Local Government Elections :wink: ... IS, that you'll find *residents generally tend to cast their vote in favour of the candidate whom *they believe will be most likely to BEST serve the interests of the Council Ward in which *they live, rather than overly concentrate on the person's political banner!

Michael Parnham
11th August 2014, 13:25
The problem with local elections I find is that the local candidates names are plastered everywhere but they don't name what party they represent, it would be better if they just named the party to vote for!:Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
28th August 2014, 21:39

I feel I need to take you aside on that one, our kid! :smile:

In a sense, you are right Graham, there are plenty of people out there who don't want to make an effort in life who'll berate anyone who owns something that they'd like out of pure jealousy. Basically they want something for nothing and I don't blame you or anyone else for criticizing these parasites in any shape or form.

However, there are fair minded individuals like myself :biggrin: who don't have a problem with those who want to better themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Those who we have a problem with are the folk who cross the border into Greedy Street. The type who have an unhealthy sense of entitlement. Michael Caine is a classic example.

The goon was bleating the other week about having to pay extra tax despite having an estimated fortune of around 75 million dollars. He's got enough money to live very very comfortably on. If I and many others were in his position we'd appreciate what we had.

Spoilt brats like Caine really do need to get a reality check.

grahamw48
28th August 2014, 23:25
I'm happy to say that we are in total agreement. :biggrin: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
29th August 2014, 05:44
I feel I need to take you aside on that one, our kid! :smile:

In a sense, you are right Graham, there are plenty of people out there who don't want to make an effort in life who'll berate anyone who owns something that they'd like out of pure jealousy. Basically they want something for nothing and I don't blame you or anyone else for criticizing these parasites in any shape or form.

However, there are fair minded individuals like myself :biggrin: who don't have a problem with those who want to better themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Those who we have a problem with are the folk who cross the border into Greedy Street. The type who have an unhealthy sense of entitlement. Michael Caine is a classic example.

The goon was bleating the other week about having to pay extra tax despite having an estimated fortune of around 75 million dollars. He's got enough money to live very very comfortably on. If I and many others were in his position we'd appreciate what we had.

Spoilt brats like Caine really do need to get a reality check.

Good point, well said! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
29th August 2014, 20:46
I'm happy to say that we are in total agreement. :biggrin: :xxgrinning--00xx3:Always knew you were one of the lads :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
29th August 2014, 23:21
Oh I am Jamie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Worked my way all the way up from the bottom, to almost the top....and then all the way back down again. :icon_lol: