PDA

View Full Version : Can't live without my mobile phone

stevewool
13th July 2014, 10:06
Yesterday we were in town and the amount of people walking around with the mobiles texting and not looking where they are going, its you that has to move for them. Well I dont and I am a stocky person so many seem to bounce off me. You may get a sorry or a grunt of some sort, and this goes for men and women too,

What did we all do before we had phones, I now dont take mine with me when we go out together, back to talking to each other rather then head down and typing to others I say, or am I being old fashioned?

mickcant
13th July 2014, 10:34
I had fish and chips for dinner last night, waiting in the chippy I was the only person without one in my hand :Erm:

I go days without remembering to turn mine on!

Shows what a sad life I lead I suppose :biggrin:
Mick.:smile:

les_taxi
13th July 2014, 10:48
We have become a race of phone morons. I often see big fat chav with kid in pushchair attempting to cross busy road while pushing kid and texting. Brainless idiots. Should be on the spot fine.

sars_notd_virus
13th July 2014, 10:54
Yesterday we was in town and the amount of people walking around with the mobiles texting and not looking where they are going, its you that has to move for them , Well i dont and i am a stocky person so many seem to bounce of me you may get a sorry or a grunt of some sort, and this goes for men and women too,
What did we all do before we had phones, i now dont take mine with me when we go out together, back to talking to each other rather then head down and typing to others i say, or am i being old fashion,

I think the SMART phones are only brilliant for SMART users :biggrin:

stevewool
13th July 2014, 10:59
I had fish and chips for dinner last night, waiting in the chippy I was the only person without one in my hand :Erm:

I go days without remembering to turn mine on!

Mick. :smile:

You are not alone Mick

stevewool
13th July 2014, 11:00
I think the SMART phones are only brilliant for SMART users :biggrin:

Very good :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
13th July 2014, 11:01
We have become a race of phone morons. I often see big fat chav with kid in pushchair attempting to cross busy road while pushing kid and texting. Brainless idiots. Should be on the spot fine.

How many do you still see driving with it pinned to their ear - or trying to hide it against their double chins

les_taxi
13th July 2014, 12:13
All the time. Easy solutions compulsory 3 month ban and £500 fine. No appeal. Would stop overnight.

Michael Parnham
13th July 2014, 12:48
Never take mine anywhere because it never rings and I only make one call a month at the most, that's why my ten pound top up lasts many many months! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
13th July 2014, 13:48
Mick. :smile:

:nono-1-1: Mick ... rather the opposite, I'd say - it's those :censored: morons who cannot seem to live without constantly texting on their mobiles that need a "wake-up" call - you're the normal person!

I seldom use mine - except for emergencies. :NoNo:

imagine
13th July 2014, 14:12
I see many users answer their mobile at the cash out till and the teller plus the next customer waiting on them, in the bank also.

I find my wife Lolita does it too, we were sitting talking to the manager in the bank at her desk, Lolita's cellphone rings, what does she do,,, answer and talk to the caller. I said to her in front of the manger how rude she was.

Also, I treat a text message as not urgent to answer, and I will read and answer as soon as its convenient, but not Lolita - she has to respond immediately :NoNo:

Dedworth
13th July 2014, 16:27
I hate that - people jawing away on their phones whilst being served at the checkout shows rudeness and a complete lack of respect for the member of staff

Rory
13th July 2014, 16:54
Such negative posts about a great creation. My mobile is my third arm at times and helps me out every day.

I bet all the guys that are knocking mobiles on here use their landlines and receive calls on their landlines every day.

I have my mobile of silent when we are out but it is very handy all the time.

Dedworth
13th July 2014, 17:00
Such negative posts about a great creation. My mobile is my third arm at times and helps me out every day.

I bet all the guys that are knocking mobiles on here use their landlines and receive calls on their landlines every day.

I use my mobile a lot but would not dream of taking or making a call whilst being served in a shop, pub, bank, restaurant or whilst in close proximity to strangers eg I'll take a walk into the car park, outside or up the platform

stevewool
13th July 2014, 17:04
They are fantastic thing to have, and yes I use one everyday too, but like anything in life there is a time and a place to use it,
The times when you are sitting talking to each other and you look around and I bet a good 75% are on their phones texting or just looking to see if they have missed that call,

But each to there own

Rory
13th July 2014, 17:14
It is a bit like talking your Grandparents and asking, what did you do before TV and why have I got 10 siblings. :do_it:

stevewool
13th July 2014, 17:20
Yep, and we all end up like them too, we just go round and round and round: "Hang about, my phone's ringing, I'll be right back!" :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Michael Parnham
13th July 2014, 17:38
I see many users answer their mobile at the cash out till and the teller plus the next customer waiting on them, in the bank also.

I find my wife Lolita does it too, we were sitting talking to the manager in the bank at her desk, Lolita's cellphone rings, what does she do,,, answer and talk to the caller. I said to her in front of the manger how rude she was.

Also, I treat a text message as not urgent to answer, and I will read and answer as soon as its convenient, but not Lolita - she has to respond immediately :NoNo:
Hi Stewart, that's just one of the things in the Philippines that I put down to bad manners!:Erm:

Michael Parnham
13th July 2014, 18:03

I only give my landline number to anyone that requires our phone number and it's free, apart from about 10 calls in 26 months there's only British Gas and BT that ever call us and I love the landline, just wish it would ring once a week! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
13th July 2014, 18:12

no one is knocking the phone it's people who act like morons whilst using one:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
13th July 2014, 18:13
A lot of the idiots who feel no shame in letting the rest of the world know about their goings on are "I'm the big I ams" or "look at me" I love it when some dragon of a doctors receptionist tells them to obey the notice and switch it off :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
13th July 2014, 18:20
A lot of the idiots who feel no shame in letting the rest of the world know about their goings on are "I'm the big I ams" or "look at me" I love it when some dragon of a doctors receptionist tells them to obey the notice and switch it off :biggrin:

Well said!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
13th July 2014, 18:34
I have "free" calls to ANY UK landline as part of an unlimited broadband package with TalkTalk ... the only real drawbacks
being:

Doesn't include 0845 or 0871 numbers

and

My name no longer appears in the local :telephone: directory.

But ... :anerikke: ... apart from those relatively minor considerations, it's a *pretty good deal - averaging out at roughly £25 to £30 per month - and means Myrna's in regular touch with her niece, who's a nurse in Hartlepool.

By contrast, mobile phone charges are a "rip~off"! :cwm23:

Michael Parnham
13th July 2014, 18:59
I have "free" calls to ANY UK landline as part of an unlimited broadband package with TalkTalk ... the only real drawbacks
being:

Doesn't include 0845 or 0871 numbers

and

My name no longer appears in the local :telephone: directory.

But ... :anerikke: ... apart from those relatively minor considerations, it's a pretty good deal - averaging out at roughly £25 to £30 per month - and means Myrna's in regular touch with her niece, who's a nurse in Hartlepool.

I haven't seen a phone directory for about 30 years, Yellow Pages has always been delivered for many years but I always file it in the recycling bin! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
14th July 2014, 20:25
Yesterday we were in town and the amount of people walking around with the mobiles texting and not looking where they are going, its you that has to move for them. Well I dont and I am a stocky person so many seem to bounce off me. You may get a sorry or a grunt of some sort, and this goes for men and women too,

What did we all do before we had phones, I now dont take mine with me when we go out together, back to talking to each other rather then head down and typing to others I say, or am I being old fashioned?

If you think it's bad here in UK, you should experience it in Hong Kong! It's so bad there that there are signs everywhere telling people to stop looking at their mobile/ cell phone and to watch what they are doing. People just stop dead in their tracks on the pavements to text, play games or view the internet and others literally fall over them! Quite ridiculous :cwm24: :doh:NoNo:

fred
15th July 2014, 16:42
I never owned one till my Mrs bought me one that I lost somewhere after about a week.

I call it my lucky escape...

That said..I was never really into land lines either.

les_taxi
15th July 2014, 18:06
They are useful of course - I even watch tv on mine when working, but people seem to be dominated by them.

Michael Parnham
15th July 2014, 19:58
Couldn't watch anything on a phone screen and wouldn't know how to. I can't believe people go online on a phone - and, if so, what on earth for? They should wait until they get home and use their computers in comfort in nice plush, peaceful surroundings! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
15th July 2014, 20:03
Ah, for me it's different when sat on Taxi rank. New phones have bigger screens so easy to watch tv. Also it's where I type most of my daytime responses to the Forum - along with checking flight times etc. But when I'm out and about, phone stays in pocket and I converse with people face to face whilst drinking beer :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
16th July 2014, 06:09
Thanks for the info Les, I understand and what my meaning was, I don't know how to cope with today's Phone's, to me a phone is just a phone! :xxgrinning--00xx3: