PDA

View Full Version : 'Jack In The Box'

Arthur Little
10th July 2014, 17:12
Literally! :yikes:

Yesterday, I attended yet another funeral. Funerals were, of course, traditionally sombre gatherings ... none more so than for members of the deceased's family. :bigcry:

Naturally, the older one grows :olddude: ... the oftener one finds oneself paying one's last respects to people one has known well - or become acquainted with in various ways - over many decades.

And if there's one thing I've observed in recent times ... :anerikke: ... it's that there's an ever-increasing trend towards funereal jargon being couched in euphemistic language as "A Celebration of the Life of so 'n' so" - as an attempt, no doubt, to (not so much deny someone's sad passing :nono-1-1:) but rather to assuage mourners' sense of grief on such solemn occasions.

And thus it was with Jack, yesterday.

91 years old ... he'd been a train driver, like his father before him.

RIP, Jack!

Arthur Little
11th July 2014, 13:03
:icon_rolleyes: ... thought the thread's title might've attracted members ... if not its content :bigcry:

Michael Parnham
11th July 2014, 13:19
:icon_rolleyes: ... thought the thread's title might've attracted members ... if not its content :bigcry:

Only just seen this Arthur, RIP Jack. Never go to any Funerals Arthur because every one that I know are much younger than myself also since my new beginning in life with my beautiful Maritess I have no friends apart from Steve Wooley!:Erm:

mickcant
11th July 2014, 13:38
I have not yet been to one this month, who is next!
All my age group friends have gone, and lots of family :cwm24:

I think as we get older our fear of death reduces, leaving us to wonder "When and How" :omg:

Anyhow, rest in peace Jack.
Mick.

les_taxi
11th July 2014, 15:15
I get less worried as I get older. In fact I think the world is not my world as it was in the 60s/70s so when it comes so be it . hey some great people to meet up with family dead pets elvis, lennon grace Kelly (she is mine hands off) sounds ok to me.

Doc Alan
11th July 2014, 17:04
Condolences Arthur, and RIP your friend Jack.

Arthur Little
11th July 2014, 17:16
:smile: Michael, Mick, Les and Alan ... your respective - and respectful - replies and condolences are very much appreciated! :68711_thanx:

Terpe
11th July 2014, 20:47
It's good that you took time out and attended the funeral and paid last respects to a good friend Arthur.

I also find myself attending more these days.....sadly.

The most emotional one I ever went to was played out to 'Stairway to Heaven' at full blast. Not a dry eye to be seen anywhere.

Arthur Little
12th July 2014, 01:09
It's good that you took time out and attended the funeral and paid last respects to a good friend Arthur.

I also find myself attending more these days.....sadly.

The most emotional one I ever went to was played out to 'Stairway to Heaven' at full blast. Not a dry eye to be seen anywhere.

Thanks also, Peter. Prior to the commencement of this bloke's service, a selection of recorded dance tunes from the ![/FONT]] 1940s were just audible in the background ... [I] Glenn Miller, probably. :wink: