PDA

View Full Version : Step Son Education

deckard97f
23rd June 2014, 09:18
HI Guys,

My step son and step daughter have just immigrated to England now from the Philliy

They have Indefinte Leave to Enter on their passports

I am a British Citizen and my wfie is on ILR

My daughter is 14 and we will try and get her into a local school
But the boy is 17 and has a high school diploma

Any idea what that is equal to here in the UK IE GCSE ALEVEL etc

Many thanks

Deck

grahamw48
23rd June 2014, 10:32
I brought my stepson and stepdaughter here too, but at junior school age.

There really is no proper way of comparing the two education systems. (I have sent my kids to both...including when in their teens).

I would suggest you try to get your boy into 6th form college if there is one in your town. They may be flexible about his current qualifications. Then he can do his A-levels or perhaps an apprenticeship.

Slip
23rd June 2014, 10:53
Just a thought (I don't know if they do) But could you ask if the 17 year old can take some sort of entrance exam at his local college?
I think at age 17 it is probably not worth going into 6th form, I think most people leave 6th form at 18 years of age (they do two years in 6th form from the age of 16, well they did in the late eighties/nineties when I went to school!)

grahamw48
23rd June 2014, 10:59
Some cities (like York) have a separate 6th form college, which also incorporates the local further education college. (3,000 students).

Plenty of opportunities for 17 year-olds. It would be useful if the lad has his school reports, exam results etc from his Phils school, to help the college assess him. :smile:

joebloggs
23rd June 2014, 20:24
thou he has ILE there might be residency requirements for him to study at college, if not met i think :Erm: he might have to pay International student fees :cwm25:, check with the college :wink: