PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if I leave UK for more than 6 months??

ana07cutiepie
16th June 2014, 11:21
hello everyone!

I have an EEA Residence Permit valid for 5 yrs till 2018. My question is what will happen if I leave UK for more than 6 months or a year? Will it affect my application in the future for British Citizenship?

Many thanks!

Kind Regards,

Analou K.

Rory
16th June 2014, 18:02
How did you get a 5 year Residence Permit? I have not heard of this one.

Terpe is the man to answer a question like this but at worst I would think you if you did not complete the full term of months in the UK then you will just have to apply for another visa to extend your stay until you have the required number of months in the UK to become eligible to apply for Permanent Residency and British Citizenship.

Terpe
16th June 2014, 18:14
hello everyone!

I have an EEA Residence Permit valid for 5yrs till 2018. My question is what will happen if I leave UK for more than 6 months or a year? Will it affect my application in the future for British Citizenship?

Many thanks!

Kind Regards,

Analou K.

There's no major immigration problem in leaving UK for 6 months under your specific EEA Family member residence.

However, do be aware that absences over 6 months will mean you have broken the EEA residency rules and your re-entry back to UK will effectively 're-start' the 5 years' residency period towards Permanent Residency and British Citizenship.

Hope I've explained that OK for you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ana07cutiepie
16th June 2014, 20:35
Hallo Terpe and Rory, thanks for your quick responses guys. :)

So does it mean I have to start again from scratch - like I need to stay again for another 5yrs? Or I just have to make up with my 1yr absent? Am confused, sorry :Help1:

Again, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
17th June 2014, 20:26
I think you would have to wait until you had been outside the UK less than 450 days in the last 5yrs, also not absent for more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

Terpe
18th June 2014, 09:31
Hallo Terpe and Rory, thanks for your quick responses guys. :)

So does it mean I have to start again from scratch - like I need to stay again for another 5yrs? Or I just have to make up with my 1yr absent? Am confused, sorry :Help1:

Again, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If residence is broken, five years from when you return before being eligible for PR.