PDA

View Full Version : Solar Panels?

marksroomspain
28th May 2014, 22:11
Just been talking to a neighbour as he has had solar panels fitted for cheaper electricity costs due to a govermnent incentive for greener energy.

The company who installed this is called ashadgreener and was just wondering any catches involved as its done free.

mmm your thoughts guys negative and positive much appreciated...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
28th May 2014, 23:40
Graham might be your best bet for this one.

joebloggs
30th May 2014, 21:24
There's a few companies doing this, different schemes, one is where they lease your roof for 25yrs then the panels are yours and it costs you £0.

marksroomspain
30th May 2014, 22:07
There's a few companies doing this, different schemes, one is where they lease your roof for 25yrs then the panels are yours and it costs you £0.

I read somewhere about that Joe about leasing the roof space but sorry if I sound thick but does that mean any implications regarding my ownership of the property and future problems if I wish to sell anytime soon.

Sometimes things that sound too good to be true normally are just need more clarification if others are also in the know...thanks.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
30th May 2014, 22:41
There been a few posts about this in the last few weeks,

Where I am, out of about 500 houses, I would say 30 have got solar panels on their roofs, and this is increasing by a couple of houses a week, someone 2 houses away from me has just had some fitted.

From what i can remember, the company claim your electric bill will be about half, and they make their money by selling the surplus electric to the national grid.

Well, as far as I know, it doesn't matter if you sell the house as the lease carries on .. no matter who owns the property.

But what happens if it needs maintenance or your roof starts leaking, etc? Scaffolding is expensive, also what about replacing your roof, 25yrs is a long time, who's going to be paying to take it down and install the panels again? :cwm25:

marksroomspain
31st May 2014, 00:01
There been a few posts about this in the last few weeks,

Where I am, out of about 500 houses, I would say 30 have got solar panels on their roofs, and this is increasing by a couple of houses a week, someone 2 houses away from me has just had some fitted.

From what I can remember, the company claim your electric bill will be about half, and they make their money by selling the surplus electric to the national grid.

Well, as far as i know, it doesn't matter if you sell the house as the lease carries on .. no matter who owns the property.

But what happens if it needs maintenance or your roof starts leaking, etc? Scaffolding is expensive, also what about replacing your roof, 25yrs is a long time, who's going to be paying to take it down and install the panels again? :cwm25:

Exactly cheers Joe...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
31st May 2014, 01:23
I think that as solar panels are getting cheaper and cheaper, its best to buy your own and have them fitted .. Of course,you will also need to purchase a grid tie inverter too.. DC to AC.

Cheap energy plus you sell excess power back to the grid..Win win.

I`d like to see the detail of what Joe says about solar companies "leasing" roof space.. Now there`s a business worth investing in!!

joebloggs
31st May 2014, 07:12
The company who installed this is called Ashadegreener and was just wondering any catches involved as its done free.

Yes this is the same company that's posted the info thru our door and are doing some of the installations where I am (not sure if all thou :cwm25:)

Answers some of your questions:

http://ashadegreener.co.uk/faqs/

1 : You're NOT tied into an 25 years agreement.
Nobody is personally tied into an agreement for 25 years. The current homeowner simply grants us a lease of the airspace above their roof - the lease itself is with the property for 25 years, not with the homeowner. It’s similar to how SKY works with their satellite dishes. When someone buys a property with our free panels, they buy it with the lease and our panels already in place. All they have to do is enjoy the FREE Electricity, there are no additional agreements to be signed.

http://ashadegreener.co.uk/myths/

SimonH
31st May 2014, 07:31
I've had mine a few years now, 15 panels so just under 4Kw. I was lucky enough to get mine done when the FIT (fed in tariff) was 43.3p it's now 13.9p

I bought mine and at a rough guess they save me about £50 a month on electric and generate an income of about £1500 a year, so just over £2000 a year. Initial outlay was about £11000, so I reckon a return on my investment after 6 years, but the FIT is guaranteed for 25 years. Doing a bit better than an ISA :wink:

fred
31st May 2014, 09:41
I've had mine a few years now, 15 panels so just under 4Kw. I was lucky enough to get mine done when the FIT (fed in tariff) was 43.3p it's now 13.9p

I bought mine and at a rough guess they save me about £50 a month on electric and generate an income of about £1500 a year, so just over £2000 a year. Initial outlay was about £11000, so I reckon a return on my investment after 6 years, but the FIT is guaranteed for 25 years. Doing a bit better than an ISA :wink:

Thats bloody good Simon!
I have been hearing and reading about new technology that will increase solar panel efficiency to up to 100 times in the future..

http://scitechdaily.com/new-solar-energy-device-is-100-times-more-efficient-than-previous-design/

SimonH
31st May 2014, 09:54
Thats bloody good Simon!
I have been hearing and reading about new technology that will increase solar panel efficiency to up to 100 times in the future..

http://scitechdaily.com/new-solar-energy-device-is-100-times-more-efficient-than-previous-design/

Interesting read :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doubt very much that some of the large energy companies would like this technology to be developed too much :Erm:

Makes you wonder if the likes of fracking or even oil is necessary if this could be developed properly :cwm25:

fred
31st May 2014, 10:05
Interesting read :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doubt very much that some of the large energy companies would like this technology to be developed too much :Erm:

Makes you wonder if the likes of fracking or even oil is necessary if this could be developed properly :cwm25:

I was talking to a German engineer here in our local.. He says that Germany will be nuclear energy free by 2020.. Why? Solar power will take up the slack..
I`m pretty sure that the big oil producers are buying technology like solar and hydro powered engines etc and locking it away...
Just not Germany!
Makes me wonder ..Who won the war?

fred
31st May 2014, 10:24
Simon...Check this out..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU#t=56

SimonH
31st May 2014, 10:56
Read about this a few months ago, maybe one day but not in our lifetime. Start with sorting out the potholes :Erm:

Well worth a go in the Emirates I recon, but there again where does the majority of their revenue come from :wink: