PDA

View Full Version : Britons travelling or studying abroad refused benefits on return

joebloggs
21st May 2014, 19:50
This is interesting, to use the SS route you might have to wait up to a year in another EU country but if you go out of the UK for 3 months or more the gov says your not a 'habitual resident' :cwm25:

British citizens travelling or studying abroad for more than three months are being refused benefits on their return under new rules designed to crackdown on benefit tourism from eastern Europe.

read more here .. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/21/britons-travelling-studying-abroad-forced-jobcentre-residency-test

grahamw48
22nd May 2014, 03:12
You've always had to be 'available for work'....immediately in theory, if unemployed.

jake
22nd May 2014, 07:09
Should they not have left a little money in the bank before leaving the country to save the world :doh

In my early 20's I was not a habitual resident, however I did on several occasions stay for a few months for various reasons. During these times I never even thought about seeking benefits and took whatever job was available. It seems people now want to return and get paid for 3 months looking for their ideal job :NoNo:

joebloggs
22nd May 2014, 07:32
But the guy had paid contributions for 6yrs and then to be told he will have to wait 3 months. Why should he wait, what difference does it make where he was b4 he applied for the benefit, he's a British :cwm25: citizen

Michael Parnham
22nd May 2014, 08:41
Odd one really! :Erm: