PDA

View Full Version : Worst night for a very long time

stevewool
28th April 2014, 06:52
Well i am still here and what a night, the last few hours i dont want to go through them again,
Last night was going very well, a nice night and after dinner we shared a choc bar, a Thortons Alpini choc bar, just a little bar 2 little bits each and all was going well,
Anyway around 10pm Ems went to bed and i thought i had a little indigestion, so i took 2 rennie tablets,
Went to bed and that was it, the pain in my chest and i thought my throat would close, up and down sipping water and still it would not go away, and one point i was going to the hospital just wondering could it be something worst, nothing i did would make it feel better, but in time i must have gone off to sleep and here i am now, thought a little sore and thinking could it have been that choc bar or something else,
I do know sometimes nuts do effect me that is why i do not eat lots, but looking at this small bar and the small bits i took , well i think its a warning , STAY AWAY FROM NUTS, HAZELNUTS, ALMONDS, INFACT ALL NUTS,i wonder does that mean some people on here :biggrin:

cherrieclifford
28th April 2014, 07:02
Hope these will help, Mr. Steve:

An allergic response to nuts usually occurs within minutes after exposure, and symptoms range from mild to severe. Nut allergy signs and symptoms can include:

Skin reactions, such as hives, redness or swelling
Itching or tingling in or around the mouth and throat
Digestive problems, such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea or vomiting
Tightening of the throat
Shortness of breath or wheezing
Runny nose[

Here's a link for some info,. http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance

stevewool
28th April 2014, 07:14
thanks Cherrie :smile:

tiger31
28th April 2014, 08:22
I do find it strange how some people can eat all different nuts under the sun and others with just a fraction of a nut in their mouth could kill them.

Steve.r
28th April 2014, 08:46
There's no cure for being nuts Steve lol

Doc Alan
28th April 2014, 09:28
I’m sorry to read about your bad night, Steve.

Obviously it’s not a good idea for me – or any other member – to make an accurate diagnosis based on the symptoms you describe :NoNo:. Even if a member tells the Forum they have a diagnosis made by a healthcare professional, every patient is different. Only general advice should be given, in my opinion.

Hopefully you’re correct, and it was a nut allergic reaction. About 1 in 100 people have nut allergy, the commonest form of severe food allergy. It usually starts in childhood. You describe some symptoms which might confirm this diagnosis. It’s not always possible to avoid contact with nuts ( or anything else which you know to cause allergic reaction, such as vegetables, or milk ). Mild reactions can be treated with antihistamine tablet(s). If it’s a severe reaction, get medical help as soon as possible.

However, you describe several bad hours and say “ I don’t want to go through them again “ – with chest pains and a feeling that “ my throat would close “, not responding to “ Rennies “ ( antacid ) tablets.

I have to say that, although a patient’s self-diagnosis may often be right, you should not assume your symptoms were due to nut allergy, or indigestion.

Without being alarmist, it’s important to take your symptoms seriously. Any new, severe, or persistent chest pain should be discussed with your doctor. Indeed if it’s very severe, call – or ask someone to call - for an emergency ambulance. You will not be wasting the paramedics’ time, better safe than sorry :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

There are many possible causes of chest pains. They DON’T always have “ textbook “ signs and symptoms. Common ones include:-

• Angina – pain from the heart which usually eases after a few minutes’ rest.

• Heart attack – persisting severe chest pain ( but there may be other symptoms which you might not expect, like breathlessness, pain in arms or neck ).

• Heartburn / acid reflux from stomach ( worse on lying down ).

• Mechanical causes like strained chest wall muscle or inflamed rib cage.

• Pulmonary embolism ( blood clot in lung ) or Pneumothorax ( trapped air between lung and rib cage ).

• Anxiety and many other less common causes.

Best wishes for a full recovery :smile:!

Terpe
28th April 2014, 09:59
Sounds awful Steve.....glad to see your still around though.

I don't about others but I too have had similar experiences and it's not nice.

Doc Alan is right......you should take steps to discover what's likely to have been the cause. Why not talk with your GP and see if there are any tests that can be done. If it's really something like a nut allergy you need to know for sure so you can take appropriate precautions.
I remember you recently had a health check MOT with blood tests etc and all was OK.....
Does no harm to get another one though.

Stay healthy mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
28th April 2014, 12:05
Wow Steve, that was a shock for your system but I'm pleased you're ok now, if you go to your GP please let us know what caused the problem if any different to your present thought, let's hope it doesn't return!

stevewool
28th April 2014, 19:28
thanks boys and girls for your kind thoughts, even steve made me smile, all is well today just a little tight still but i am taking it slowly for now and tonight Ems going to give me a full body massage :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Dedworth
28th April 2014, 19:47
Steve - I'd suggest arranging to go to an allergy clinic. Some friends knew their 4 year old had severe reactions (throat closing, face swelling etc) to a few foods but they were staggered to find how many others after he went to the clinic at St Peters Hospital Chertsey.

According to this the NHS have them nationwide http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Whichallergytest.aspx

Terpe
28th April 2014, 20:42
....all is well today just a little tight still ...........

No change there then .....:peepwall:

stevewool
28th April 2014, 20:57
No change there then .....:peepwall:

have to keep them purse strings closed Peter :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
28th April 2014, 20:58
Steve - I'd suggest arranging to go to an allergy clinic. Some friends knew their 4 year old had severe reactions (throat closing, face swelling etc) to a few foods but they were staggered to find how many others after he went to the clinic at St Peters Hospital Chertsey.

According to this the NHS have them nationwide http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Allergies/Pages/Whichallergytest.aspx

i will look into this in the coming days .

fred
29th April 2014, 14:16
What..So a nut allergy just comes on in the latter years without warning to that extent?? How did nuts affect you before?
Surely its something you need to get double checked Steve...as Doc Alan suggested.

Just saying mate..

Doc Alan
29th April 2014, 16:45
I agree with Fred.

Perhaps I take my role on this Forum too seriously.

However, your post had me worried Steve. I did not wish to be alarmist, but at the same time what you said rang alarm bells with me.

I therefore responded immediately ( after checking my facts ). It did not seem to me like a nut allergy. Please re-read my response.

Of course I would be happy if your symptoms turned out not to be serious.

gWaPito
29th April 2014, 18:42
150 people (children and adults) die each year from all food allergies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_allergy

Unrelated but, lots of us play the lottery thinking we are going to win it one day...we wouldn't play otherwise

A record-breaking number of millionaires were created by the National Lottery this year, figures revealed today.

A total of 158 people joined the exclusive millionaires' club over the past 12 months, an increase of 26 on 2009.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/record-number-of-millionaires-created-by-national-lottery-2170889.html

(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/record-number-of-millionaires-created-by-national-lottery-2170889.html)'Remembering Those We Have Lost To Food Allergies (http://nonutsmomsgroup.weebly.com/1/post/2013/10/remembering-those-we-have-lost-to-food-allergies.html)'

'I would like to take this time and remember some of the recent and not so recent deaths that have occurred from food allergies. These are just some of the reported cases. It is very sad that there have been so many and yet we have not heard about most of them.

Thank you for reading and sharing. The more we talk about it, the more others around us will too. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you can view some of their pictures.'

"Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.”

This list was updated on April 25, 2014

We all have a responsibility to take our health and wellbeing seriously

http://nonutsmomsgroup.weebly.com/1/post/2012/02/remembering-those-we-have-lost-to-food-allergies.html

(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/record-number-of-millionaires-created-by-national-lottery-2170889.html)

stevewool
29th April 2014, 19:53
Thank you Alan and all who have taken time to write about my problems the other day, i have made a appointment with the doctors and will let you know at a later date what they have said to me

Arthur Little
29th April 2014, 20:37
:cwm24: ... what an alarming experience, Steve! All the more so when the symptoms occurred in the middle of the night. I suspect you must've wondered if it was a heart attack you were having.

Anyway, you gave us all a bit of a fright. Although I've heard of people suffering an *allergic reaction to nuts, I'd always assumed it was fairly uncommon. And to be honest I'm not sure why some folk are affected more than others ... nor even its *cause(s).

Thankfully, here on the forum, we're extremely fortunate in being able to rely upon our good friend, Alan for advice. Accordingly, therefore, you'd do well to heed his (and others') suggestion by arranging for
a further [follow~up] appointment with your own doctor in order to discuss the recurring chest pain in particular. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
29th April 2014, 20:52
Everything at night seems worse Arthur I feel, the hours just drag on and on and poor Ems was just fast asleep dreaming of better things i think.

I felt something was not right before I went to bed so thats why I took 2 tablets, but it was not to be. I must admit I feel like nothing has happened now, and again you feel a fool trying to explain to someone how you felt on the day or night.

I think the massage did me good last night though :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
30th April 2014, 00:44
Everything at night seems worse Arthur I feel, the hours just drag on and on ... I must admit I feel like nothing has happened now

:iagree: Steve, you're right ... pain - or, indeed, discomfort of any
kind - invariably seems to feel worse at night.

All the same, my friend ... :anerikke: ... when the pain is in the chest, it's best getting it checked out medically to be on the safe side.

Arthur Little
30th April 2014, 01:37
I must admit I feel like nothing has happened now, and again you feel a fool trying to explain to someone how you felt on the day or night.

Point is, Steve ... it did happen. I know it isn't always easy once pain has subsided to describe exactly how uncomfortable it made you feel at the time it was actually happening. But really, :icon_rolleyes: the only "foolish" thing would be to ignore an episode of this sort completely.

Glad there's been no recurrence, my friend. Take care. :xxgrinning--00xx3: