PDA

View Full Version : ILR Advice needed

briancol
17th April 2014, 09:34
Because my wife got here in June 2012 (Belfast) she applies for ILR under the old rules could you tell me is there an "old rules app form" or does she use the latest/newest app form? .

At the minute she is doing an ESOL course @ Belfast Met College, she does the test/exam hopefully to get the B1 Certificate she needs in June, but just in case she doesn't get her results before her visa runs out in August can she apply for an extension to her current visa while shes waiting? Thanks.

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 10:59
She will have to use the latest ILR form. It's a one size fits all form. About the extension, yes she can apply extension for her current visa in case she won't pass the required English test. But she must do that before her visa expires. Isn't it possible to take the English exam earlier? It will save you both a lot of trouble just in case. Also, has she already passed the Life in the UK test?

Arthur Little
17th April 2014, 14:10
Isn't it possible to take the English exam earlier? It will save you both a lot of trouble just in case.

..................................................................... :yeahthat: ... and a helluva lot of money, besides!

briancol
17th April 2014, 15:08
She has already passed the Life in the UK Exam, the ESOL exam is at the end of the course shes on,they don't do it any earlier, she only took the course because we couldn't find anywhere over here that do the ESOL exam on its own, I guess its all about getting money out of people, I d/loaded the ILR application this morning 37 pages of it, wow, can you tell me how long b4 her visa runs out she has to apply for an extension, where does she apply/get the app form, and how much will that cost, just for the extension I mean, I know the ILR is a 1000 pounds or so. Thanks.

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 15:21
The earliest your wife can apply for an extension is 28 days before her 2nd year anniversary of living here in the UK (just the same when applying for ILR).

Go to this page and check out the form she will use and the guidance notes. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-extend-stay-in-the-uk-as-a-partner-form-flrm

Is your wife confident enough to pass the English test? Of course applying the ILR is still the best route. If the test and result will be on June, make sure that you have all the documents prepared so you can apply ILR before her visa expires on August.

briancol
17th April 2014, 18:31
So she applies for ILR 4 weeks be her visa runs out at the earliest? Not sure if she's confident but she can only do her best, her ESOL EXAM is in June I believe but I'm not sure when she gets the result, obviously she needs it b4 she can apply for ILR but that's out of our hands, can she not apply for ILR even after her visa runs out, on August the 14th?

aprilmaejon
17th April 2014, 18:41
Did she not took any English exam before coming here in the uk? Why need to take ESOL?

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 19:14
so she applies for ILR 4 weeks be her visa runs out at the earliest? Not sure if she's confident but she can only do her best, her ESOL EXAM is in June I believe but I'm not sure when she gets the result, obviously she needs it b4 she can apply for ILR but that's out of our hands, can she not apply for ILR even after her visa runs out, on August the 14th?

She has a spouse visa right? The earliest she can apply is 28 days before her 2nd year anniversary of stay here in the UK. If she applies for ILR after her visa expires, she will get a refusal and would need to go back to the Philippines.

Trefor
17th April 2014, 20:25
What visa did your wife arrive under? I'm guessing FLR(M) since you are now looking to go for ILR.

Your wife had to pass an English test to the acceptable standard before coming to the UK in June 2012? We understand that this pass is acceptable for ILR and you don't need to re-take the test even if it 'expires'.

Also, if she arrived under FLR(M) then she will now be on a Spouse Visa with a 2 year validity. Our understanding is that you cannot apply for ILR until 28 days before your current Spouse visa expires, not 28 days before her 2 year arrival anniversary?

Terpe, where are you? :smile:

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 20:33
What visa did your wife arrive under? I'm guessing FLR(M) since you are now looking to go for ILR.

Your wife had to pass an English test to the acceptable standard before coming to the UK in June 2012? We understand that this pass is acceptable for ILR and you don't need to re-take the test even if it 'expires'.

Also, if she arrived under FLR(M) then she will now be on a Spouse Visa with a 2 year validity. Our understanding is that you cannot apply for ILR until 28 days before your current Spouse visa expires, not 28 days before her 2 year arrival anniversary?

Terpe, where are you? :smile:

Trefor, his wife got here on June 2012 and the visa will expire on August 2014. I'm thinking she arrived on a spouse visa (27 months validity). So his wife can apply for ILR 28 days before the 2nd year of stay or 24th month here in the UK (which on his wife's case, this coming June 2014), not before expiration. This is the difference when arriving to UK with a spouse visa and fiancee visa.

Regarding the English test. If his wife already attained a B1 equivalent passing grade (or above B1) upon her spouse visa application, that's the only time it will be accepted for the ILR and Naturalisation, even if the test cert is already expired. If the passing grade was below B1, then she needs to retake the English test.

aprilmaejon
17th April 2014, 20:47
Trefor, his wife got here on June 2012 and the visa will expire on August 2014. I'm thinking she arrived on a spouse visa (27 months validity). So his wife can apply for ILR 28 days before the 2nd year of stay or 24th month here in the UK (which on his wife's case, this coming June 2014), not before expiration. This is the difference when arriving to UK with a spouse visa and fiancee visa.

Regarding the English test. If his wife already attained a B1 equivalent passing grade (or above B1) upon her spouse visa application, that's the only time it will be accepted for the ILR and Naturalisation, even if the test cert is already expired. If the passing grade was below B1, then she needs to retake the English test.

Rayna, if she is on spousal visa, I would expect that she have taken an English exam already...the only question is, if it is equivalent or above B1 level. That's why I am wondering why does she has to take the ESOL course? Couldn't she just take the exam as early as possible so she can apply for her ILR on time?... I believe that she will pass the exam straight away even without the course.

Michael Parnham
17th April 2014, 20:51
so she applies for ILR 4 weeks be her visa runs out at the earliest? Not sure if she's confident but she can only do her best, her ESOL EXAM is in June I believe but I'm not sure when she gets the result, obviously she needs it b4 she can apply for ILR but that's out of our hands, can she not apply for ILR even after her visa runs out, on Aughst the 14th?

My Maritess visa expires on the 17th of August 2014, she arrived here 6th June 2012 so we are sending her ILR application on the 8th May 2014 Brian! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 20:52
Rayna, if she is on spousal visa, I would expect that she have taken an English exam already...the only question is, if it is equivalent or above B1 level. That's why I am wondering why does she has to take the ESOL course? Couldn't she just take the exam as early as possible so she can apply for her ILR on time?... I believe that she will pass the exam straight away even without the course.

Brian mentioned above that they can't find anywhere around their place that does the exam alone, hence forcing her wife to take the course. Brian's wife probably have a grade below B1 when she applied for her spouse visa? If that's the case, then she really need to retake the English test, on the circumstance that Brian said along with the course.

briancol
17th April 2014, 20:53
Thanks for all the replies, yes she got her on a spouse visa, 27 months, it runs out on 16th August 2014, but she arrived here on June 7th 2012, 2 years anniversary is 6th June 2014, BUT she will not have her B1 cert at that time, don't know what date but her ESOL exam is in June and get results some time after that and since the college will be shut for summer holidays till September then don't know how/when she gets the certificate, assuming she passes the exam. Anyway, she definitely will not have it by the 2year anniversary. She did an English language exam in the Philippines to get her visa, result was just A1 that's why she needs to do it here to get the B1.

briancol
17th April 2014, 20:55
My Maritess visa expires on the 17th of August 2014, she arrived here 6th June 2012 so we are sending her ILR application on the 8th May 2014 Brian! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, but your wife must already have her B1 IN English, mine hasn't. :smile:

marksroomspain
17th April 2014, 21:13
Thanks for all the replies, yes she got her on a spouse visa, 27 months, it runs out on 16th August 2014, but she arrived her on June 7th 2012, 2 years anniversary is 6th June 2014, BUT she will not have her B1 cert at that time, don't know what date but her ESOL exam is in June and get results some time after that and since the college will be shut for summer holidays till September then don't know how/when she gets the certificate, assuming she passes the exam. Anyway, she definitely will not have it by the 2year anniversary. She did an English language exam in the Philippines to get her visa, result was just A1 that's why she needs to do it here to get the B1.

Hiya Brian,

It looks like your wife will have no choice but to extend her visa (FLR) which will be another expense currently £601 but as Rayna has said that if your wife lets her visa run out then she could be deported back to the Phils.

I think the above is your only option due to time restraints but on the positive side is that as soon as she achieves B1 level then she can immeditely apply for ILR, she won't have to wait a further 2 years on her visa extension.

More expense I know but like I say with little options left then it looks like the way to go, anyway goodluck...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
17th April 2014, 21:38
Hiya Brian,

It looks like your wife will have no choice but to extend her visa (FLR) which will be another expense currently £601 but as Rayna has said that if your wife lets her visa run out then she could be deported back to the Phils.

I think the above is your only option due to time restraints but on the positive side is that as soon as she achieves B1 level then she can immeditely apply for ILR, she won't have to wait a further 2 years on her visa extension.

More expense I know but like I say with little options left then it looks like the way to go, anyway goodluck...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks for that,,but what is (FLR) please, and,do they extend the visa for 2 more years? Another 601 pounds, lucky my wife is working and earning, do you have a link for the visa extension application form (just in case)?

But IF she passes and gets the B1 even just one week b4 her visa runs out, she can still apply then, yes?

marksroomspain
17th April 2014, 22:06
There is nothing stopping your wife extending her visa. It is perfectly acceptable to UKVI to do this, Brian. FLR is further leave to remain. She will need to use form FLR(M) which information can be obtained from UKVI website.

Answer to your next question is yes as long as UKVI receive her application before the end of the 2 year anniversary from when your wife actually arrived in the UK then no problem.

Please note that her visa is only valid for 2 years from when she actually arrived in UK not the expiry date on her visa.

Once again goodluck...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 22:50
Thanks for that,,but what is (FLR) please, and, do they extend the visa for 2 more years? Another 601 pounds, lucky my wife is working and earning, do you have a link for the visa extension application form (just in case)?

But IF she passes and gets the B1 even just one week b4 her visa runs out, she can still apply then, yes?

I already posted the link to the FLR form in post #5. FLR means Further Leave to Remain.

She can still apply for FLR or ILR even a week before her visa runs out. Just make sure that UKVI will get the application on the last valid date stated in the visa (16 August 2014 in your case). If they get it even a day after that, then it will be considered as late application

Edit: I just checked that 16 August 2014 falls on a Saturday. I hope Terpe or anyone who knows can advice you about the correct timing of submitting the application when it falls on a weekend.

jane2009
17th April 2014, 22:51
Hiya,

Why cant she travel to London to take IELTS loads of test Centres in London or anywhere nearest London...results only takes 13 days from the day you take the exam..

briancol
17th April 2014, 23:12
Jane, she can't travel to London because we live across the Irish sea.

Marksroomspain & Raynaputi u r confusing me, one says 2 years after she arrived despite the date of the visa and the other says the date the visa runs out, I must admit after reading through the rules & regulations earlier this evening on the UKBA website I read it as the date the visa finishes.

Also since we're working under the old rules about finances, do I still need to fill in the part of the ILR application form about my finances? I'm 62 years old and finished working, I'm now getting Pension Credit and Housing Benefit in my own name, my wife works full time.

raynaputi
17th April 2014, 23:24
Brian, your wife arrived on a spouse visa and the eligibility period for ILR is 28 days before her 24th month of stay in the UK. Marksroomspain said the same thing in post #18.

The 28 days before expiration date is for those who arrived in the UK on a fiancee visa, like myself. Our ILR eligibility date will be based on the FLR(M) visa's validity date and not from the time we arrived here.

Michael Parnham
18th April 2014, 06:25
Brian, your finances should be no problem, you don't have to reach the new target of £18,600!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

NoRest
18th April 2014, 07:12
How about Glasgow

https://englishexamcentres.co.uk/register.html?ebid=1&vid=&eid=&lid=10&date=Exam+Session+Date&sps=10

briancol
18th April 2014, 08:03
How about Glasgow https://englishexamcentres.co.uk/register.html?ebid=1&vid=&eid=&lid=10&date=Exam+Session+Date&sps=10

Hi.i looked at the dates of the exams in Glasgow,the earliest B1 exam is 3/6/14. no point in going there coz she will be doing her exam here around the same time,thanks anyway.

briancol
18th April 2014, 08:05
Brian, your finances should be no problem, you don't have to reach the new target of £18,600!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you Michael that's reassuring, though I still have to enter finances on the app form anyway.

briancol
18th April 2014, 08:12
Brian, your wife arrived on a spouse visa and the eligibility period for ILR is 28 days before her 24th month of stay in the UK. Marksroomspain said the same thing in post #18.

The 28 days before expiration date is for those who arrived in the UK on a fiancee visa, like myself. Our ILR eligibility date will be based on the FLR(M) visa's validity date and not from the time we arrived here.

Ok Raynaputi, looks like she will have to get an extension to her visa first because 2 years will be th June, that is not enough time to do the exam and get the results then send in her application.

briancol
18th April 2014, 08:20
I forgot to ask,how/where does she get the biometric immigration document,
what is that ? finger prints and whatever I presume,where would she go to do/get that done.?

Also which form does she need to download/print out to apply for a visa extension,.i have looked at the website in the above link but I cant see which form it is.

Set(M) she uses to apply for ILR 37 pages..and FLR(M) for visa extension 52 pages ?

Does she apply for visa extension 28 days b4 her 2 years is up or b4 her visa runs out? sorry for all the questions.

raynaputi
18th April 2014, 08:48
Brian, your wife can still apply ILR even after June as long as long as her visa is still valid. 28 days before her 24th month stay is just the earliest date she can apply. Don't be confused with it. If her English test is on June and the test result will be released in July for example, then you can apply ILR if she gets the B1 grade.

Biometrics form is included in the FLR and ILR forms. UKVI will send her a letter for biometrics after you sent the application. This can be done in the post office that has the biometrics machine. You need to check which post office near you that has that.

In post #18, I gave you the link for the form. Just click it. Form FLR(M) and the guidance note. It's just at the top of the page.

marksroomspain
18th April 2014, 08:52
Hope things have become more clearer now Brian, I know its stressing times but we are here whenever help is needed as Rayna has said in above post, she might still have time anyway fingers crossed...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
18th April 2014, 09:41
Thanks, Marksroomspain & Raynaputi for your help & advice. Yes, I've just d/loaded the FLR form - all 52 pages of it. One more question for now, on the form it asks for her p/port details, but since she has recently renewed her p/port into her married name, but it has no visa in it, which information do I give them on the form, as the application is in her married name but the visa and original p/port is in her maiden name. I know I can send them both p/ports along with the application but which do I put on the app form?

Thanks.

raynaputi
18th April 2014, 09:47
You need to put the details of the new passport. Regarding the maiden name, you can put that in the other names known. Details of the old passport will also be asked in the form.

briancol
18th April 2014, 09:49
Brian, your wife can still apply ILR even after June as long as long as her visa is still valid. 28 days before her 24th month stay is just the earliest date she can apply. Don't be confused with it. If her English test is on June and the test result will be released in July for example, then you can apply ILR if she gets the B1 grade.

Ah, so you're saying she can apply anytime from around the 10th of May (that's 28 days before she's 2 years here) till her visa runs out on 16th August?

raynaputi
18th April 2014, 09:52
Ah, so you're saying she can apply anytime from around the 10th of May (that's 28 days before she's 2 years here) till her visa runs out on 16th August?

YES! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

But just make sure UKVI will get her application before 16th August or else, it will be classified as late application and will be refused.

briancol
18th April 2014, 15:55
One more question folks, (for now) On the app form it asks for p/port and visa details, but since she got here my wife has got a new p/port in her married name, no visa in it, but her visa and older p/port (still valid) is in her maiden name.

I know I can send both p/ports in with the application form but which one do I put down on the app form, (shes applying for ILR in her married name).

Also Raynaputi does that mean she has from around the 10th of May (28 days b4 her 2 years are up) until the 16th August when her Visa runs out to apply?

Thanks for your help & advice everybody. :smile:

raynaputi
18th April 2014, 17:20
One more question folks, (for now) On the app form it asks for p/port and visa details, but since she got here my wife has got a new p/port in her married name, no visa in it, but her visa and older p/port (still valid) is in her maiden name.

I know I can send both p/ports in with the application form but which one do I put down on the app form, (shes applying for ILR in her married name).

Also Raynaputi does that mean she has from around the 10th of May (28 days b4 her 2 years are up) until the 16th August when her Visa runs out to apply?

Thanks for your help & advice everybody. :smile:

I've answered both your questions on posts #32 and #34 above.

By the way, her old passport will be invalid now since she already has her new passport. Didn't the Philippine Embassy advised her to put holes on the old passport's cover once she received the new passport? If not, then put holes on it coz it's already invalid.

briancol
19th April 2014, 18:08
Thanks Raynaputi - sorry, I didn't realise I'd put that last question already,.thanks for all your help & advice. (everyone) :smile:

Michael Parnham
20th April 2014, 08:21
Whatever happens Brian don't worry, it will all come out in the wash, all the best to both of you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
20th April 2014, 10:16
Thanks Michael :smile::smile:

bigmac
20th April 2014, 11:37
I'm 62 years old and finished working, I'm now getting Pension Credit and Housing Benefit in my own name, my wife works full time.

Whoops

I think you need to sort that out--unless benefit rules are different in NI.

briancol
20th April 2014, 18:09
Hi all, I'm back again already - problem with the visa extension application.

In Section 7A - Financial Requirements - it says "if you were granted leave to enter or remain as a partner following an application made before 9th July 2012 you are not required to complete section 7A, proceed to section 7B", Maintenance.

But in 7B it says "you only need to complete this section if,

(i) You qualify for an exemption from meeting the income threshold element of the financial requirement.

(ii) You were granted leave to enter or remain as a partner under Chapter 8 of the Immigration Rules following an application submitted before 9 July 2012.

I'm not sure what they are saying there. I've no idea what Chapter 8 is about. Can anyone tell me if I need to answer these questions? (my wife arrived here on 7th June 2012).

Help please.:smile:

Terpe
20th April 2014, 21:34
....I'm not sure what they are saying there. I've no idea what Chapter 8 is about. Can anyone tell me if I need to answer these questions? (my wife arrived here on 7th June 2012).

Help please.:smile:

Brian, what it means is that if your original visa application was made prior to 9 July 2012 then you do not need to comply with the Financial Requirement of income threshold.

marksroomspain
20th April 2014, 22:10
Section 7B Brian thats the correct one for your wife...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
21st April 2014, 09:11
I know I don't need to fill in section 7A of the app form, but do I need to complete section 7B? I just hate to give them financial info if I don't need to. Thanks.

Terpe
21st April 2014, 15:21
I know I don't need to fill in section 7A of the app form, but do I need to complete section 7B? I just hate to give them financial info if I don't need to. Thanks.

Brian, you will need to complete section 7B if you're applying on form FLR(M)

FLR(M) at section 7A states:-

If you were granted leave to enter or remain as a partner following an application made before the 9th July 2012 you are not
required to complete section 7A, Proceed to 7B MAINTENANCE.

FLR(M) at Section 7B states:-

You only need to complete this section if:
(i) You qualify for an exemption from meeting the income threshold element of the financial requirement.
(ii) You were granted leave to enter or remain as a partner under Chapter 8 of the Immigration Rules following an application submitted before 9 July 2012.

Chapter 8 of the Immigration Rules are concerned with Family Members (Spouses, Civil Partners, Unmarried and same sex relationships, Children and Dependant relatives)

Your wife was granted leave to enter UK under Chapter 8 of the Immigration Rules following an application submitted before 9 July 2012.

briancol
21st April 2014, 22:12
Ok, thank you Terpe. :Wave:

Terpe
22nd April 2014, 10:52
Brian, I do hope you wife will secure the needed B1 English Language and that the ILR application can be submitted.

You wife's current spouse visa expires on 16 August 2014 which is a Saturday....so that means she'll need to post it on 15 August latest. It's tight I know but if that's the timing then not much to be done about that.

I'd suggest having with chat with her ESOL course tutor to explain the situation and setting out a plan of when and how your wife could arrange to receive her certificate.
If that plan doesn't sound like it's going to happen then she's no choice but to apply for extension of leave on FLR(M).
That'll give up to 2 years extension but will take out all the pressures.
Your wife will be eligible to apply for ILR at any time after she gets her B1 no need to wait for the full 2 years.

Good luck Brian, keep us updated. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
23rd April 2014, 16:51
Terpe, the 2 years will be up on 6th June and I think it will be just after that date when she takes the exam/test. Not sure when she will get the results, hopefully b4 her visa runs out on 16th August. We are thinking of putting in for a visa extension, that will take the pressure off, but I will talk to her tutor next week if I can. See what he says about exam date. Thanks :smile:

Terpe
24th April 2014, 19:25
....I will talk to her tutor next week if I can. See what he says about exam date. Thanks :smile:

Yes please do that.....it might save you quite a sum of money and some hassle.
If the Tutor cannot guarantee the certificate in time then no point in waiting.

I do understand the feeling Brian.....me and the wife had some dark moments and tight spots with those immigration folks...
There was a time we were visiting London every week......different requirement every time :doh Really made us crazy......and broke

briancol
25th April 2014, 11:45
Thanks Terpe. At least we get plenty of advice & support from this site, we'd be lost at times without it

Thanks again.

briancol
1st May 2014, 15:28
Brian, what it means is that if your original visa application was made prior to 9 July 2012 then you do not need to comply with the Financial Requirement of income threshold.

I spoke to my wife's tutor and he says the exam will be around the middle of June but results will probably be nearer August so we are just going to apply for visa extension. My wife's here from 7th June 2012, so can apply for the extension from 10th May, is that right?

Also, if we do not need to meet the new financial requirements then do I still need to answer the financial questions on SECTION 7B MAINTENANCE 7:5, 7:6 & 7:7?

Also, Section 8 asks about English Language documents, do I just leave it blank as she doesn't have those documents, hence the visa extension application.

Then the documents required with the app submission, all we have are a few bank statements for the past few months in our separate names, not joint statements, no bills of any kind as the utilities are not in my/our name.
:Cuckoo:

briancol
4th May 2014, 21:26
?

Terpe
5th May 2014, 10:05
I spoke to my wife's tutor and he says the exam will be around the middle of June but results will probably be nearer August so we are just going to apply for visa extension. My wife's here from 7th June 2012, so can apply for the extension from 10th May, is that right?

There's no mandatory qualifying/probation period of UK residence so in principle you can apply for FLR(M) at anytime before expiry of current visa.

Also, if we do not need to meet the new financial requirements then do I still need to answer the financial questions on
SECTION 7B MAINTENANCE 7:5, 7:6 & 7:7?

Yes you still need to complete Section 7B
This section is for those who are either exempt or who submitted their visa application before 9 July 2012.

Also, Section 8 asks about English Language documents, do I just leave it blank as she doesn't have those documents, hence the visa extension application.

Under Question 2.3 tick the box that states "You require further leave to remain to obtain the relevant qualifications to meet the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirements to apply for indefinite leave to remain"

I suggest you include an explantion in section 8B and also in a covering letter.
Briefly state her current timetable of study and test.

Brian, please note that your wife needs to submit her current English Language documentation to show that she has a level A1 passing grade. This is a requirement of FLR
What specific test did she undertake in order to get her UK visa?

Then the documents required with the app submission, all we have are a few bank statements for the past few months in our separate names,
not joint statements, no bills of any kind as the utilities are not in my/our name.

There's no mandatory requirement to demonstrate 2 years co-habitation for FLR(M) for spouses.
However I do suggest you submit whatever you have.
You'll need to work on this aspect anyway for future ILR.

Here's some ideas:-

Driving License
TV License
Electricity Bills
Gas Bills
Water Bills
Council Tax Letters/Bills
Bank/Building Society statements
Bank/Building Society letters
Marriage Certificate
Registry Office Letters
NHS medical cards
Letters from GP/Medical Centre
Sports club membership cards
Insurance Quotes
Letters from Church Organisations
National Insurance appointment letters
HMRC Communication/Letters (eg Tax Codes, P60's etc)
Personal letters from friends/family etc
Telephone/Internet bills/letters/statements
Mobile phone bills/letters/statements
Online shopping details of name/address
Tenancy agreement(s)
Letters or other documents from government departments or agencies.
Letters from Dept of Work and Pensions, DVLA etc
Letters from UKVI / Home Office

briancol
5th May 2014, 18:45
Brian, please note that your wife needs to submit her current English Language documentation to show that she has a level A1 passing grade. This is a requirement of FLR
What specific test did she undertake in order to get her UK visa?

Thanks for the reply Terpe, ive been going over the application form and looking websites concerning visas,its driving me up the wall, one place it seems to say the A1 certificate is all that's needed then else where its a B1, theres so many rules and regulations its confusing,.
the certificate she has is Cambridge ESOL entry level certf in ESOL INTERNATIONAL (Entry 1) - council of Europe level A1.

Terpe
5th May 2014, 20:51
Brian, your wife needs level A1 minimum for FLR(M) application so looks like she's OK :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Level B1 is only required for ILR and Naturalisation

briancol
6th May 2014, 14:21
Ah, ok Terpe, thanks for your help & advice. :smile:

briancol
15th July 2014, 15:33
My wife got her English Exam (ESOL) Results today. Passed all 4 subjects. Thank the Lord! Now the next - and hopefully the last - hurdle, applying for ILR.

Could anyone tell me is there an actual certificate to come or is what she got in the post today it?

Thanks. :smile:

briancol
15th July 2014, 20:41
No replies? Where's Therpe?

Arthur Little
16th July 2014, 01:09
No replies? Where's Therpe?

Terpe's got a lot on his plate at the moment, Brian ... so please be patient and keep checking here early in the day. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
16th July 2014, 08:30
Arthur I just wanted to know if there's a certificate to come or is the paper work confirming her pass all she needs.

Do you know?

Thanks.

Michael Parnham
16th July 2014, 10:40
The paperwork confirming her pass is ok! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
16th July 2014, 23:58
Arthur I just wanted to know if there's a certificate to come or is the paper work confirming her pass all she needs. Do you know? Thanks

:icon_sorry: ... 'fraid I didn't know :nono-1-1: - since my wife came here prior to the English Tests being introduced - otherwise I'd have been able to answer your question. :wink: But ...

The paperwork confirming her pass is ok! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

... Michael's reply, :yeahthat: - has since verified the paperwork referred to, as being adequate for the purpose. :smile:

briancol
17th July 2014, 19:07
Ok Michael and Arthur, I just wanted to be sure before we posted it off, thanks for your help. :smile:

briancol
22nd July 2014, 14:11
That's my wifes ILR Application in the post as of yesterday 21st. Any ideas as to how long it will take to process? :smile:

Michael Parnham
22nd July 2014, 15:39
That's my wifes ILR Application in the post as of yesterday 21st. Any ideas as to how long it will take to process? :smile:

The Checking Service sent ours and the lady told us no longer than seventeen weeks Brian! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
22nd July 2014, 16:14
Checking Service? Seventeen Weeks? That's 4 months, my wife's visa runs out on 16th August. :smile:

Michael Parnham
22nd July 2014, 17:41
Checking Service? Seventeen Weeks? That's 4 months, my wife's visa runs out on 16th August. :smile:

I'm sure that's ok as they will have received it before her visa expires Brian. Our application was posted 8th May and we haven't received anything yet, I'll let you know as soon as we hear! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
22nd July 2014, 18:29

Your wife's immigration status will remain just the same as it was at the date of application so no worries :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Here's wishing you both a speedy and positive outcome :xxgrinning--00xx3:

briancol
16th November 2014, 14:28
Hi, haven't been on the site for a few months after posting my wife's ILR application in July, but I'm now back to let you all know that she got a letter from the Home Office on Friday the 14th Nov to say that her ILR has been approved.

:Yippeee:! The long wait and hard struggle is over! We first met in Jan 2010, got married in June 2010 in Cebu, and couldn't be happier with each other. Well :anerikke: we could - if we had a bigger house and more money lol, but other than that we are happy enough.

I want to thank everyone for their help and advice on this site. First and foremost, I/we thank the Lord for bringing us together and guiding us all the way through this, for answering our prayers concerning the ILR and all our prayers all the way through the process, and the prayers of our local Presbyterian Church. THANK YOU LORD JESUS.

Then we'd like to thank Terpe, Arthur Little, Raynaputi and others whose names I can't even remember for all the help & advice given to us over the months - even years.

Thank you folks & God Bless you all.

Merry Christmas from Colin & Memie. :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
16th November 2014, 18:37
Very nice of you to thank everyone for help given to you Brian, good luck for the future and all the best to you both! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
17th November 2014, 13:48
Very glad to learn the rollercoaster ride was worth it all :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well done you both :Jump:

Enjoy your Christmas and hope you new year will be just great.

Thanks so much for updating us all :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
17th November 2014, 14:06
Congrats Colin and Memie! :Jump:

briancol
11th December 2014, 19:51
Aaaaaah, this is doing my head in! It seems to be never ending processes. There's me thinking we are finished with all this hassle but now my wife's thinking of British Citizenship. She's here 3 years next June. Arrived June 2012.

So she can't apply until after that date.

Any links to the application form and fees?

Any advice as to filling in the forms would be appreciated, thanks.

Dedworth
11th December 2014, 22:32
Aaaaaah, this is doing my head in! It seems to be never ending processes. There's me thinking we are finished with all this hassle but now my wife's thinking of British Citizenship. She's here 3 years next June. Arrived June 2012.

So she can't apply until after that date.

Any links to the application form and fees?

Any advice as to filling in the forms would be appreciated, thanks.

The only thing I can say is that unfortunately there is no checking service you can use in Northern Ireland - not sure if you could pop over to the mainland and use a council here

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/when_will_the_nationality_checki

bigmarco
12th December 2014, 00:16
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/318568/2902467-_Form_AN_v1_0.pdf

briancol
14th December 2014, 09:46
Why would I need a checking service? We didn't need them before.

Lancashirelad
14th December 2014, 10:35
One of the main benefits of the checking service is that they will take copies of your original documents and return them to you there and then, sending away the approved photocopies.

briancol
17th December 2014, 11:16
Except I don't think we have a checking service in N.I. Or do we?

Dedworth
17th December 2014, 20:09
Except I don't think we have a checking service in N.I. Or do we?

No checking service in NI :NoNo:

briancol
20th December 2014, 16:20
Yeah, I thought not. Didn't need them before - so don't see why we would need them now anyway.

Nick-and-Ella
9th April 2015, 21:34
I'm wondering what on earth has happened since I last checked on our progress. This evening I said to my wife that we need to check how many days she is allowed out of the country as we plan to travel to PH for a holiday later this year. This led to me finding to my alarm that it seems the goalposts have been moved for us.
My wife arrived March 2014 on a spouse visa that expires Nov 2016. I was led to believe that we should apply for ILR 2 weeks before expiration of the spouse visa. Now when checking the UK visa site, it appears that we now have to wait 5 years! The big problem is that as stated above, the spouse visa expires in Nov 2016, also, her passport expires in 2018.
I obviously need to find out what the hell is happening, but wondered if anyone is in a similar situation.
It really has upset us tonight, & I still don't know how many days we're allowed for Ella to travel outside the UK before we apply for ILR!

Terpe
9th April 2015, 23:37
I'm wondering what on earth has happened since I last checked on our progress. This evening I said to my wife that we need to check how many days she is allowed out of the country as we plan to travel to PH for a holiday later this year. This led to me finding to my alarm that it seems the goalposts have been moved for us.
My wife arrived March 2014 on a spouse visa that expires Nov 2016. I was led to believe that we should apply for ILR 2 weeks before expiration of the spouse visa. Now when checking the UK visa site, it appears that we now have to wait 5 years! The big problem is that as stated above, the spouse visa expires in Nov 2016, also, her passport expires in 2018.
I obviously need to find out what the hell is happening, but wondered if anyone is in a similar situation.
It really has upset us tonight, & I still don't know how many days we're allowed for Ella to travel outside the UK before we apply for ILR!

I don't think the goalposts have moved. I think you just misunderstood the rules when applying for the visa.

Your wife's visa was issued under a two stage 5 year immigration schedule before eligibility for settlement under ILR
This has been the case for all family settlement applicants since July 2012

Your wife has been initially issued with a visa valid for 33 months.
Shortly before reaching her 30 month anniversary she needs to apply for the second FLR(M) which will again be issued under a 30 month validity.
Shortly before (28 days max) that second FLR(M) visa expiry she'll be eligible for application of ILR

During her time under the spouse visa there's really no specific limitations on the number of days she can be out of UK. There's only an absence count back when it comes to naturalisation. Generally if the number of days outside of UK is limited to 90 days per year she'll be fine.
If she has any plan to be out of UK for more than 90 days in any one year period then you'll need to review that plan against the qualifying residence requirements in force at that time.

There are other significant changes that WILL impact you when time comes for that second FLR relating to an NHS surcharge. I'd suggest you review that one as the costs are not small.

Nick-and-Ella
10th April 2015, 11:51
Hi Terpe, thanks for the helpful reply. I must admit, this is news to me, & to others who have been advising us. The whole process is just so complicated & reading through all the relevant information online is just daunting. I actually thought that that we'd done the hard part, but it seems it's never ending. I have a couple more questions. My wife's passport expires in 2018, will she be able to renew a PH passport here in UK? Is it advisable to apply for the biometric ID card?

raynaputi
10th April 2015, 13:42
Hi Terpe, thanks for the helpful reply. I must admit, this is news to me, & to others who have been advising us. The whole process is just so complicated & reading through all the relevant information online is just daunting. I actually thought that that we'd done the hard part, but it seems it's never ending. I have a couple more questions. My wife's passport expires in 2018, will she be able to renew a PH passport here in UK? Is it advisable to apply for the biometric ID card?

Yes she will be able to renew her passport here in the UK. Although she must go in person to Philippine Embassy in London. Here's the thread about the process and requirements: http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/52062-Philippine-Passport-Renewal-at-the-Philippine-Embassy-London

Terpe
10th April 2015, 14:06
Hi Terpe, thanks for the helpful reply. I must admit, this is news to me, & to others who have been advising us.......

Hi Nick & Ella,
That's quite surprising as the current 5 year immigration journey and all it entails has been in place since July 2012
It was subject to a considerable consultation period prior to being presented for approval by parliament.
You surely must have been aware of the requirements when you applied for a settlement visa.

Once embarked on an immigration journey it's of paramount importance to keep abreast of the various changes that get made.

At least you can be sure of up to date and accurate advise here from the many members who are currently following the same route as yourselves. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th April 2015, 14:13
............Is it advisable to apply for the biometric ID card?

The Biometrice Residence Permit (BRP) application will be part of the second FLR(M) application.
There's no other route.

Nick-and-Ella
11th April 2015, 09:16
Thanks again for the advice Terpe.

Terpe
11th April 2015, 10:45
Thanks again for the advice Terpe.

Hi Nick & Ella,

I think it might be well worth having a quick review of these recent threads on significant changes that have been introduced now
(Better sit down before reading)

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/56459-Migrant-health-surcharge-to-raise-£200-million-a-year

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/56405-Round-up-of-UK-immigration-changes-from-April-2015

Nick-and-Ella
15th April 2015, 22:32
Hi Nick & Ella,

I think it might be well worth having a quick review of these recent threads on significant changes that have been introduced now
(Better sit down before reading)

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/56459-Migrant-health-surcharge-to-raise-£200-million-a-year

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/56405-Round-up-of-UK-immigration-changes-from-April-2015

Thanks again; things don't get any easier! :(