PDA

View Full Version : Health Test Results

stevewool
16th April 2014, 19:15
Well today i had my check up with the local nurse, blood test done last week and all is good news,

She told me that anything below 20% is ok and i was 8.79% with all my results in,

I have just been told to lose a little weight and do a little more exercise and eat less sweet things, ie chocs, so boys and girls its better all round the shopping bills will be lower with no more chocs to buy

Arthur Little
16th April 2014, 19:32
:Jump: ... that's reassuring news, Steve ... you're bound to be greatly relieved! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
16th April 2014, 20:20
indeed Arthur, like anything out of my control its nerve wracking till you know its all ok

grahamw48
17th April 2014, 16:57
Well done Steve. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm relieved to wake up each morning these days. :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
17th April 2014, 21:10
Well done Steve. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm relieved to wake up each morning these days. :biggrin:

I've been relieved for the past 20 years Graham, hope I last another 20! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sheriel
17th April 2014, 21:21
Ditto, we are grateful for everyday, and hope many more to come, God willing :Wave:

Moy
17th April 2014, 21:24
Ditto,we are gratefull for everyday,and hope many more to come,God willing :Wave:
sheriel..where u are in cornwall?? i went today at waitrose:wink: pass the Tamar Bridge:wink:

sheriel
17th April 2014, 21:32
Moy we are here in Mid Cornwall,Nr St.Austell,Gods Country, :Wave: :Wave:

Moy
17th April 2014, 22:02
Moy we are here in Mid Cornwall,Nr St.Austell,Gods Country, :Wave: :Wave:

very far :cwm24::biggrin: i went in Par the beach there..miles away from where i live here in Plymouth :Jump::yawn:

Doc Alan
17th April 2014, 22:13
Forgive me for asking Steve, but what did your nurse mean by “ anything below 20% is OK and I was 8.79% with all my results in “ ?

Did she mean the “ QRISK “ ( http://qrisk.org ), which gives an estimate for each patient of their chances of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years ? If that’s the case, she probably means 20% ( 1 in 5 ) is expected for your age and other factors. Anything less than 1 in 10, which is what you seem to have, is good :xxgrinning--00xx3:. Even NICE ( National Institute for Health and Care Excellence ) would not recommend statins with this degree of risk, just the common sense advice which you’ve been given by your nurse. ( “ 8.79% “ is far too precise a figure for an estimate, which is all QRISK can be ).

There’s discussion at the moment about giving estimates of life expectancy to pensioners, together with getting rid of the rules that force most people to use their pension pots to buy an annuity, and making it easier to spend their pensions how they wish. But of course, the best estimates of life expectancy can ONLY be made on averages according to age, gender, lifestyle, where people live / have lived, and other factors. Even with genetic profiling, nobody knows, nor would they necessarily want to know, their precise individual life expectancy.

Life expectancy at birth in the UK is now about 79 years for males and 83 years for females. For those living to the age of 65, further life expectancy for men is about 18 years and women 21 years. These estimates are lower for Scotland than England. They’re lowest for males and females in Glasgow for example ( about 73 and 79 years ). In the Philippines, life expectancy at birth is 65 years for males and 72 years for females, and for both sexes at age 60, 18 years.

While life expectancy is ONE measure of a population’s health status and is useful for public health purposes, it can only EVER be an estimate for individuals. There are many factors, including luck and stress, influencing how long an individual may live. But for most of us, moderation in diet and alcohol, exercise, and not smoking, do improve our chances :smile:.

However - and where - members choose / hope to live their lives, I wish you all good luck in your plans, and good health :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health4/life-expec-at-birth-age-65/2006-08-to-2010-12/stb-life-expectancy-at-birth-2006-08-to-2010-12.html

http://www.who.int/countries/phl/en/

sheriel
17th April 2014, 22:24
Moy, I told you it is God's Country, we have the best Beaches near us in Europe and the Cleanest bathing Water, fact. I hope you liked Par, and Cornwall, Gwapa :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
17th April 2014, 23:14
Thanks Alan ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
18th April 2014, 07:48
I have no idea Alan, I went for the blood test as what they wanted, then they did the weight and height and asked me all these questions and then added it all up.

Then this figure came out, they were not saying I would live for ever but the way I live my life at this moment in time is the best it can be, even better if I do more exercise, and keep off the chocs.

Who knows what lies before us, just try to be healthy is all we can ask.