PDA

View Full Version : A sad place to be

stevewool
6th April 2014, 09:42
When i go to fetch Ems from work after i have finished work myself i have to travel through Derby and up this road passing a cemetery, this place dates back to the mid 1800
It does look a very sad place , head stones that have been pushed over because they was deemed unsafe, and who cares for these graves anymore i wondered,
I would not like to be put there is all i can say,
How long is it before people stop visiting these places to see there love ones,
Most of my family have been cremated but never a week goes by without some sort of memory of the love ones coming into my head, but i have never been back to the crematoriums gardens to sit and think of them,

joebloggs
6th April 2014, 10:01
i take my dog for a walk in the cemetery near me every morning, it's a beautiful place (for a cemetery), some graves go back to the 1800's too, it's well looked after by the council and by people who visit, lots of flowers on many of the graves,

a couple of years ago they did attach a note to nearly every grave saying it was not safe :crazy: even on my fathers grave stone :crazy: but a very small number are leaning a bit, but i think the council took the notes off after many people protested, but you should enter at your own risk, why should the council be responsible ? i doubt anyone has been injured from a falling grave stone :NoNo:

Dedworth
6th April 2014, 15:00
i doubt anyone has been injured from a falling grave stone :NoNo:

Not unless you are an Eastern European rough sleeper after a night on the antifreeze

joebloggs
6th April 2014, 15:44
Not unless you are an Eastern European rough sleeper after a night on the antifreeze

:icon_lol: no eastern Europeans spending the night in there, i usually take the dog for a walk very early in the morning :biggrin:

the cemetery near me, you can be fined upto £1,000 for entering before opening times :yikes: i doubt anyone has ever been fined thou :cwm25:

raynaputi
6th April 2014, 15:44
I'd definitely want to be buried in the Philippines, besides my relatives'. :xxgrinning--00xx3: At least people there still remember the dead. :biggrin:

joebloggs
6th April 2014, 15:52
I'd definitely want to be buried in the Philippines, besides my relatives'. :xxgrinning--00xx3: At least people there still remember the dead. :biggrin:

many still remember the dead here, many graves have flowers on them near me, i always see people tending to their family graves :wink:

gWaPito
6th April 2014, 17:37
many still remember the dead here, many graves have flowers on them near me, i always see people tending to their family graves :wink:

In our family we not only remember our dead, we talk about them. The family lives on :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Our churchyard (my birth village) is a sight to be seen as well. Springtime is a good time. ..all the flowers coming through. We got an active Methodist community who share the responsibility of tending to the churchyard's upkeep even though it belongs to the Church of England. :smile:

mickcant
7th April 2014, 06:45
I cut the grass around my parents grave and clean the stone when it gets too marked
I do speak to them when there and often in my daily thoughts, my cremated remains will hopefully be scattered there after my passing.
Mick. :smile:

gWaPito
8th April 2014, 00:29
We pop into see my dad when we go visit mum on Mondays. A shame he didnt get to meet his 2 latest grandchildren but, there's enough pictures of him around their grandmother's house for them to know who granddad is :xxgrinning--00xx3: Like me, the eldest speaks to his headstone. It's a wonderful life :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://longcotvillage.org/st-marys-church/

grahamw48
8th April 2014, 00:39
I was able to take my son to see the gravestone of his great great great...I don't know how many times, grandfather buried there early 1800s, with the same name my son carries...as does my brother, and did my father and grandfather . Family tradition. :smile:

gWaPito
8th April 2014, 00:59
Both my granddads were born in the 1890s so that would make them great grandads to my boys. Ive yet to look back any further. I better ask mother as she's the last remaining link to the past.

mickcant
8th April 2014, 06:17
Both my granddads were born in the 1890s so that would make them great grandads to my boys. I've yet to look back any further. I'd better ask mother as she's the last remaining link to the past.

Now is the best time to get family history information :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We always wish we had started sooner.
Mick. :Erm:

grahamw48
8th April 2014, 09:59
My brother has really gone to town on our family genealogy (both sides).

He has got as far back as the 1300s for my mother's side, (Irish, but originally English) and think the 1600s for my dad's. :cwm24:

mickcant
8th April 2014, 10:18
My brother has really gone to town on our family genealogy (both sides).

He has got as far back as the 1300s for my mother's side, (Irish, but originally English) and think the 1600s for my dad's. :cwm24:

wow, that is good going :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick. :smile: