PDA

View Full Version : Seven-a-day fruit and veg 'saves lives'

Terpe
1st April 2014, 09:59
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73932000/jpg/_73932614_hi017842762.jpg
Few of us eat the recommended five a day, let alone seven portions

Eating seven or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day is healthier than the five currently recommended and would prolong lives, researchers say.

A study of 65,226 men and women indicated the more fruit and vegetables people ate, the less likely they were to die - at any given age.

Seven a day cut the risk of dying from cancer and heart disease.

But the government says its "five-a-day" advice is sufficient and that many of us struggle to achieve even this.

Experts said other lifestyle factors, such as not smoking or drinking excessively, may have accounted for the drop in mortality, not just fruit and veg consumption, although the study authors said they had tried to account for this.

The University College London researchers used the National Health Survey, which collects data from people in England each year through questionnaires and nurse visits, to look at diet and lifestyle.

They analysed data between 2001 and 2008, which provided a snapshot rather than people's continuing dietary habits.

The study looked at general mortality as well as death from cancer, heart disease and stroke, and found risk of premature death from any cause decreased as fruit and veg consumption increased.

Risk of death by any cause over the course of the study was reduced by:

14% by eating one to three portions of fruit or veg per day
29% for three to five
36% for five to seven
42% for seven or more (up to around 10 portions a day)
Fresh vegetables had the strongest protective effect, followed by salad and then fruit.

Fruit juice conferred no benefit, while canned fruit appeared to increase the risk of death - possibly because it is stored in sugary syrup, say the researchers.

Lead investigator Dr Oyinlola Oyebode said: "The clear message here is that the more fruit and vegetables you eat, the less likely you are to die - at any age."

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73932000/jpg/_73932615_woman_eating_broccoli-spl-1.jpg
Fresh vegetables appeared to offer the most protection

She said the size of the effect was "staggering", but added that eating a few portions a day was still better than nothing.

Fruit and vegetables could have a protective effect against disease as they contained antioxidants, which repair damage to cells, she said.

Dr Oyebode added that both fruit and vegetables contained micronutrients and fibre, both of which are good for health

She said a "portion" meant about 80g (3oz), meaning "one large fruit or a handful of smaller fruit or veg".

But some experts said the work was not conclusive and that other lifestyle factors may have influenced the results.

Prof Tom Sanders, at the School of Medicine, King's College London, said it was "already known" that people who said they ate lots of fruit and vegetables were health conscious, educated and better-off, which could account for the drop in risk.

"You cannot extrapolate from this kind of information to make sensible pronouncements about what people should eat."

Prof Naveed Sattar, of the University of Glasgow, said promoting a seven-a-day message would be "really challenging".

"It would require governmental support such as subsidising the cost of fruit and vegetables, perhaps by taxing sugar-rich foods, and making available high quality products to all in society," he said.

Dr Alison Tedstone, of Public Health England, said the study was "interesting" but it seemed "premature" to raise the recommended fruit and veg intake because two thirds of people were not eating five or more portions a day.

She said people "tend to understand this five-a-day message", adding: "I think we should keep it simple and stay as we are."

"We are working very hard to improve the availability of fruit and vegetables, as we see it as absolutely integral to somebody's health to choose those five a day," she said.

Victoria Taylor, senior dietician at the British Heart Foundation, said people were still struggling to meet the existing target of at least five a day.

"While you may not be getting your five a day, there's no reason to give up and stop trying as this study showed there were health benefits for every extra portion of fruit and veg people ate," she said.

In Australia, the government's advice is "two plus five" a day - encouraging people to eat two helpings of fruit and five portions of vegetables.

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377

Terpe
1st April 2014, 10:01
Looks like an increase in 'greenhouse gases' then :biggrin:

Terpe
1st April 2014, 10:04
How many folks here actually manage the 'five-a-day' ?

If I'm honest I don't think we do......not each day anyway :Erm:

We both eat a banana everyday and usually have tomatoes and cucumber on the table at dinner.
On a positive note, I would say we consume far more fish than most.

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 10:06
Enjoyed the 95 year old on 5 live who says .......s to it all.
Has bacon, bread and dripping and chocolate lol

bigmarco
1st April 2014, 10:09
Enjoyed the 95 year old on 5 live who says .......s to it all.
Has bacon, bread and dripping and chocolate lol

What a Character :xxgrinning--00xx3: The wife and I were having a good laugh listening to Bob from Cardiff. 2 Bars of chocolate every day. 5 a day is a load of baloney :biggrin:

bigmarco
1st April 2014, 10:13

We both eat a banana everyday and usually have tomatoes and cucumber on the table at dinner.

I think I do but probably not as would be recommended. I eat a lot of fruit so always eat 5 a day but not as much vegetables depending on shifts.
The Australians recommend 5+2 a day with the 5 being vegetables and 2 being fruit.

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 10:15
I agree I'm sure the doc will correct us but i do my best but sometimes have none a day.

Michael Parnham
1st April 2014, 10:54
Eat what takes your fancy, but in moderation!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 11:01
Well fruit should no be high on list because of sugar content. I will try to get the 7 portions into my nutri bullet.
Has to come to 560 gram
Only 2 fruit.

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 11:28

I eat sweet potatoes carrots and broccoli 6 days a week...I don't consume those on the Monday because I long run on the Tuesday, too much gas :NoNo:
I prepare the veggies on a rest day then freeze for the week ahead, job done. Breakfast is

Quaker oats with banana almonds brazils rasins sunflower seeds blueberries and strawbrerries topped with manuka 12+ in whole milk. Lunch is 4 pieces of fruit with boiled eggs. Dinner is the veggies with various main dishes

Before sleep I take my beloved manuka in hot water.

We can exercise all we like but, if your diet is all wong, no amount of effort in the gym will show positive results. 70% of how we look is down to diet :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
1st April 2014, 11:31
So, do they include potatoes ?

Baked Beans ?

All of this airy fairy research done by bored, overpaid academics, justifying their jobs. Presumably it follows that vegetarians are the longest-lived people on the planet ? :Erm:

Yes, of course I eat vegetables every day of the week, and fruit too if I can remember.

Humans are omnivores. Our dentition and digestive tract tell us that, regardless of what we choose to put in our mouths.

Balanced diet is what is required, IMO, just as we were taught in school...decades ago.

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 12:19
Potatoes don't count, pity as i could have my daily intake as chips and gravy!

grahamw48
1st April 2014, 13:27
I wonder who decided that the potato was no longer a vegetable. :NoNo:

I read somewhere that the average Brit gets most of their daily vitamin C from spuds. Not that there is a lot of it in a potato, but people eat a lot of them. :smile:

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 13:32
I think the balance is Graham too much starch and carbohydrates in spuds

grahamw48
1st April 2014, 13:42
Those carbs (ie FUEL) are only a problem for lazy gits

...or people who have their heating turned up too high, wasting the earth's resources.:smile:

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 13:43
What's New and Beneficial about Sweet Potatoeshttp://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64

jake
1st April 2014, 15:00

I would say at least 5 portions of vegetables per day and at least 2 portions of fruit.
My biggest problem is trying not to eat too many fruits, especially if we have bananas or mangoes in the house :hubbahubba:

Some of the fresh fruits available in the Philippines are amongst the best in the world. Most of them are tree ripened unlike some that you might see in supermarkets in the west :wink:

jake
1st April 2014, 15:17
What's New and Beneficial about Sweet Potatoeshttp://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64

Grows like a weed in my place!
Sweet tatties have started to become popular again in the Philippines. Until a few years ago, i would often here people joke about them being a poor man's food. They are now starting to realize that it is one of the most nutritious vegetables available.

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 15:54
They not as good as maris piper:smile:

grahamw48
1st April 2014, 18:38
Anyway Les....bad for your business if people start exercising more . :biggrin:

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 18:46
I'm off to waitrose to get something nice for me dinner before match-low calori ish

Terpe
1st April 2014, 19:21
I went to waitrose this afternoon to get a few bits ..............including broccoli...... which was sold out :yikes:
Popped next door to Asda..............broccoli sold out :yikes:

I thought funny.........(for those of a certain age think Pete & Dud) ...I wonder if it has anything to do with all this eating veg stuff....could it be :Erm:

My wife just won't believe me.....she'll think I just forgot :doh
I'm expecting the worst :Help1:

sars_notd_virus
1st April 2014, 19:44

I love steamed kale on fish 3x a week:xxgrinning--00xx3:
If I am working i eat seasonal mixed fruit for breakfast plus yogurt but during off days its got to be pinoy breakfast:hubbahubba:

Doc Alan
1st April 2014, 20:20
http://youtu.be/OyU8qmzGsEg

Doc Alan
1st April 2014, 20:29
The press release for this study was unfortunately timed for April Fool’s Day :doh.

It certainly looked at a large number – 65,000 – in England, over a 12-year period. It claimed that people who ate at least seven portions of fruit and vegetables each day were “ 42% “ less likely to die from any cause over the course of the study. Those with the highest intakes were “ 25% “ less likely to die from cancer ( types not stated ) and “ “ 31% “ less likely to die from heart disease. Each portion of vegetables lowered the risk of death by “ 16% “; each portion of fruit by “ 4% “. Improbably precise percentages :doh! The “ 25% “ reduction in cancer is five times the usual estimate for “ healthy diet “ !

The lead author’s advice is “ however much you’re eating now, eat more “ ! Most British people DON’T even eat five portions a day ( the amount recommended by World Health Organization a quarter of a century ago ) :NoNo:. I eat about 4 / day. The “ five-a-day “ rule isn’t consistent anyway – 6 in Denmark, 7-10 in Canada, and 17 in Japan.

Even if the UK public could be persuaded to eat more fruit and vegetables, their cost would have to be subsidised.

There really is “ fat chance “ of these recommendations by the “ experts “ actually working, in my opinion. It’s true there’s a worldwide epidemic of overweight and obesity with the costs to health of individuals and governments. But common sense has to rule :xxgrinning--00xx3: ! Moderation in all things :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

I CAN understand how it might be easier to consume large portions of fruit and vegetables in the Philippines – they are so delicious and relatively cheap :smile: -

Market in Baguio :-

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1040477_zps876d6cc2.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/P1040477_zps876d6cc2.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1040475_zps1ad43af1.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/P1040475_zps1ad43af1.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1040474_zps4b82ef03.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/P1040474_zps4b82ef03.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1040473_zps5aa99f18.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/P1040473_zps5aa99f18.jpg.html)

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 22:04
Also these studies leave out certain things,I would bet that someone who eats plenty of fruit and veg is health conscious,meaning they probably don't smoke,keep fitter and eat less sugar as well and the veg part is only a small percentage of the benifits.

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 22:11
Also these studies leave out certain things,I would bet that someone who eats plenty of fruit and veg is health conscious,meaning they probably don't smoke,keep fitter and eat less sugar as well and the veg part is only a small percentage of the benifits.

I'll agree with that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The main reason given why some families dont eat the prescribed amount is because of the cost....So what's the problem in The Philippines? Lucky Jake and Doc Alan has pointed the stuff grows on trees over there. Unlike in the UK, fruit and veg is cheaper than fast food

I remember getting on a plane in Coron bound for Manila in 2011. We all had to be weighed....Out of the whole passenger list, I was the heaviest at 76kgs (63kgs in the pic) and by no means the tallest at 5 6''

Yes, the Philippines are becoming fatter as a nation but, from what Ive witnessed, they've got light years to go to catch up with us in the west

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 22:15
Good I'm always right-apart from the odd football prediction:icon_lol:

grahamw48
1st April 2014, 22:25
The people who whine about the cost of a sensible and nutritious diet are often the same people who can afford to smoke 20 cigs a day, drink alcohol several times a week, and feed a Pit Bull Terrier or two.

They are just damned IMBECILES ! :NoNo:

Perhaps we should let the balance of nature take its course.

Doc Alan
1st April 2014, 22:28
Also these studies leave out certain things,I would bet that someone who eats plenty of fruit and veg is health conscious,meaning they probably don't smoke,keep fitter and eat less sugar as well and the veg part is only a small percentage of the benefits.

Correct Les, that's well recognised ! This study didn't fully take account of other life-style factors.

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 22:37
The people who whine about the cost of a sensible and nutritious diet are often the same people who can afford to smoke 20 cigs a day, drink alcohol several times a week, and feed a Pit Bull Terrier or two.

:laugher: You are funny Graham

It's true though....We got those types down here as well. I expect its the downtrodden partners whining while the layabout bf's put it against the wall

I notice a lot of these are not married....there must be some financial advantage.

Doc Alan
1st April 2014, 22:44

You're also correct Graham ! The problem is : those members who read and contribute to these health-related topics are sensible and prepared to do something about improving their health, such as giving up smoking and trying to diet.

The examples you mention are the ones who cost the health service dearly, cannot and will not change. Before they die prematurely from illnesses due to their unhealthy lifestyles, they have already reproduced, so the " balance of nature " ( natural selection ) can't operate.

But of course as a health professional I have to be non-judgemental :doh.

grahamw48
1st April 2014, 22:50
Oh, I'm VERY judgemental Alan....in fact, I have enough 'judgementalness' for the two of us. :biggrin:

les_taxi
1st April 2014, 22:57
I'm not as daft as Andy looks:biggrin:
Thanks for REP:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 23:04
I'm not as daft as Andy looks:biggrin:
Thanks for REP:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm just pointing out that wasn't from me :icon_lol: My rep days are well over :xxgrinning--00xx3: