PDA

View Full Version : Fat Chance !

Doc Alan
28th March 2014, 12:57
Being overweight or obese is now a bigger problem than undernourishment in most countries, and it no longer just affects “ developed “ countries. The Philippines are catching up with the UK. It’s costly for individual health, for healthcare systems and lost productivity.

There is no such thing as being fat and healthy :NoNo: ! Risks include cardiovascular disease ( heart attacks and strokes ), diabetes, and some types of cancer ( such as breast and large bowel ). Many people are in denial, but they SHOULD have an idea they’re overweight, even if they don’t trust their scales, body mass index ( BMI ) and waist circumference measurements !

The choice to lose weight may be difficult. Not everyone can afford healthy food ( with supplements ) and gym membership. Indeed it’s a greater problem for communities where income is low. “ Crash diets “, “ fad diets “, and bursts of exercise DON’T work for most.

Unlike giving up smoking ( which many prefer to do completely from a set date ), it’s probably best to introduce changes gradually, to lose weight. Gradual increase of activity should work, even with the same diet and calorie intake. It doesn’t have to be at the gym. A regular short 20 minute walk, or sports such as swimming and cycling, ideally something you enjoy, helps.

Reducing food intake is the other way to lose weight. Don’t skip breakfast, and don’t assume you can’t have occasional “ treats “. Simple measures like taking semi-skimmed milk, not adding sugar to coffee / tea, eating smaller portions, eating less processed / “ fast “ foods and more fruit and vegetables, and cutting down on alcohol intake, all make a difference.

These suggested changes are for LIFE. The benefits are not just increased life expectancy and reduced risk of serious disease – but feeling and looking better :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

However, the above is just my opinion and I’ve said it before.

Unfortunately many people now see being overweight as the “ norm “, according to England’s Chief Medical Officer, among others. Recognising that there’s a problem is one thing. A bigger problem is what to do about it. All measures ( including tape measures ! ) have clearly not succeeded so far. These include community and school education, taxing unhealthy foods, regulating food adverts, promotion of healthy living, and designing living and work areas with exercise in mind.

It’s not for me to judge lifestyle choices. It could be worth raising the topic ( again ) just as more influential people than me continue to do :smile:.

There’s certainly plenty of information elsewhere on the topic :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/298297/cmo-report-2012.pdf

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/obesity.htm

les_taxi
28th March 2014, 13:02
I do think it's harder than made out. I have a battle losing weight around the belly. Rest of me ok but the only way I lose weight is to cut down dramatically on calories and hammer my exercise bike.

Cutting a bit of sugar and and 20 min walk do nothing hardly for me.

blessed_ekim0826
28th March 2014, 15:50
I been so thin since birth. I eat a lot but still nothing changes in my figure. I want to gain weight but not sure how. I took vitamins but seems useless. I am 110lbs and 5'6" I want to achieve the 130lbs but seems hard to get. Any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:

les_taxi
28th March 2014, 16:05
I been so thin since birth. I eat a lot but still nothing change d in my figure. I want to gain weight but not sure how. I took vitamins but seems useless. I am 110lbs and 5'6" I want to achieve the 130lbs but seems hard to get. Any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:

Easy, just eat lots of high calorie foods, cheapest way is to load with carbs so a desert of Banana, ice cream and peanut butter over a period will help to put on weight.

I used this technique a few years ago mixing all together in a bowl and it was lovely and calorie rich!

Arthur Little
28th March 2014, 17:13
Being 6ft 1", I recently weighed in at 14st 7lbs. Now, I'm by no means fat :nono-1-1: ... but do prefer to wear either a 171/2~18" collar size for the sake of comfort. :wink:

Can't abide shirts that are too tight around the neck. :NoNo:

marksroomspain
28th March 2014, 17:53
My heaviest weight was a colossal 30st 7lbs :yikes:

That was over 10 years ago and vowed never to go back to that so ate healthily and dropped 12 stone.

I have gained here and there but also lost and at 6ft 3 find myself fine at around the 16 and a half stone mark.

I was 18 and a half stone when I first met my wife then gained 3 stone after that, now been back to healthier lifestyle for a while and now at just over 19 stone I am getting there.

Until you have had issues like this then nobody knows just how hard it is.

Fat I consider myself but compared to 2002 then I suppose a hell of a lot slimmer and healthier...

Once again good post Alan...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
28th March 2014, 21:05
Thank you for your honest responses Les, Mike_Steve, Mark and Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

I fully support all those who have stopped or wish to stop smoking ; but smoking has adverse health consequences which surely EVERYONE knows about ; and I’m a non-smoker – perhaps EX-smokers are best placed to offer encouragement. The problems with being overweight / obese are perhaps less well known, and there’s likely to be an element of denial in at least some overweight individuals. It’s also “ a complex multifactorial problem which is not completely understood “ ( Chief Medical Officer’s words ). What hope have WE in understanding it when there is so much conflicting dietary advice from the “ experts “ who can’t always agree among themselves :doh !

BMI ( Body Mass Index ) is ONE measure of nutrition ; it’s a rough guide which doesn’t apply to everyone ; the tape measure is also considered useful, especially the waist measurement :xxgrinning--00xx3:. I am 5’8” ( 173 cm ) and 10st 10lb ( 68 kg ), giving me a BMI of 22.7, and with waist measurement of 32” ( 80 cm ), that’s in the “ healthy range “. But of course there’s nothing I ( or anyone else ) can do about increasing age :NoNo:! Even with a healthy lifestyle, my risk of a heart attack in the next 10 years is 14% !

This link helps calculate BMI ( http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
) ; this explains BMI and waist measurement (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/obesity.htm
).

The Philippines is one country where undernutrition and overnutrition are significant co-existing problems, perhaps in the same community or even family. Typhoon Haiyan caused thousands more cases of severe acute ( rapid onset ) undernutrition - especially children - in the affected provinces.

In England, the Chief Medical Officer claims around 2% of females and 1% of males are underweight. This has its own problems , and it’s vital to try to find out WHY someone is underweight. Is it deliberate or unintentional, and have they been unwell ? An NHS link might be helpful here :-(http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/Underweightadults.aspx
) .

bigmarco
29th March 2014, 03:11
Another interesting thread as usual Doc. I'm currently trying to lose a bit around the middle which has arrived since I packed up the cigarettes.
It's going slowly but I wish it would go as quickly as it arrives.
I'm over due on a diabetes check up which I've delayed because I don't want to face the wrath of Nurse Lisa. :omg:

blessed_ekim0826
29th March 2014, 05:19
Easy, just eat lots of high calorie foods, cheapest way is to load with carbs so a desert of Banana, ice cream and peanut butter over a period will help to put on weight.

I used this technique a few years ago mixing all together in a bowl and it was lovely and calorie rich!

I did that as what dr said to me to eat foods that are high in fiber and carbs but no changes. I did not smoke and drink alcohols. I was thinking to workout in gym but don't have confidence as gym are for fats who wantto lose weight.

tiger31
29th March 2014, 07:17
being fat its all in the genes some people have got the fat gene unlike my daughter who eats a mountain a fatty foods cream cakes fizzy drinks chocolatte and never puts on weight .but myself ive always been big no matter how hard I try ive lost weight before and it just goes back on again .

Michael Parnham
29th March 2014, 07:30
I consider myself a stone overweight at 12 stone, I'm 5ft 9in and my waist is 34in need to get a 32in waist. Whilst in Philippines my weight went down to 10 I/2 stone and I felt better and at the moment would love to get down to 11 Stone, that would be the weight that I would feel comfortable with. My eating habits are pretty strict to most people but I still have only three meals per day with nothing between meals, hardly ever buy chocolate, never have Mcdo or any junk food don't drink and only have things like a packet of crisps or chocolate 3 or four times a year, my weakness is dunking digestives in a mug of tea on the odd occasion! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
29th March 2014, 07:36
I consider myself a stone overweight at 12 stone, I'm 5ft 9in and my waist is 34in need to get a 32in waist. Whilst in Philippines my weight went down to 10 I/2 stone and I felt better and at the moment would love to get down to 11 Stone, that would be the weight that I would feel comfortable with. My eating habits are pretty strict to most people but I still have only three meals per day with nothing between meals, hardly ever buy chocolate, never have Mcdo or any junk food don't drink and only have things like a packet of crisps or chocolate 3 or four times a year, my weakness is dunking digestives in a mug of tea on the odd occasion!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lol wads of calories in digestives Michael

Jentobeharrison
29th March 2014, 07:56
Hi Doc Alan, this is such an interesting topic. When my fiance went here last May, I was fat and he asked me if I could lose some, I promised him and I did it somehow, weeks before he went here last November, I took pills and as what we expected I gained weight, more than what i was when he was here last May. I almost lost him because of my weight issues but instead of leaving me, he encouraged me and helped me to lose weight.

Now Ive got some replacements with the food that I was eating, white rice before, brown rice now, fried before, steamed now. I also went back to my boxing and jogging. Here in the Philippines, its very hard to have a healthy meal as most offices here in urban area are surrounded by fast food chains which is really my struggle, and it is really expensive to buy for some quick healthy meals. My fiance has told me before that it is not impossible here in the Philippines to have a good body as he had seen some petite woman, I wasn't able to rebut and tell him that its hard for me to look for some healthy meals if you are working in the city, I should've said that but I just remained silent, but I just thought few weeks ago that the women we have seen before look like their bodies are really genetically petite and sexy and I doubt that they have healthy life style.

Which is very unfortunate in my part, I have to have a healthy lifestyle before I can have a good body as I have a chubby family.

tiger31
29th March 2014, 08:20
That was rather rude of him to ask you to lose weight lol

Doc Alan
29th March 2014, 12:36
Thank you Marco, Mike_Steve, Brian, Michael, and Jen for your interesting posts :xxgrinning--00xx3:!

Gaining some weight is common after stopping smoking, but still thought to be less risky than continued smoking :smile:.

Gyms are not just for “ fats who want to lose weight “ :NoNo:. Many do find going to a gym ( not just paying the membership fee ! ) helps them get fit, either put on or lose weight with help to do so, and enjoy the social aspect. I’m lucky, living a few minutes’ walk from the beach and would rather walk there.

To say that “ if you consume more calories than you use, you will get fat “ is too simplistic for everyone ! There may not be one “ fat gene “, but genes DO have an influence on whether or not an individual gets fat. Studies of siblings and twins support this. Jen mentioned Filipinas who may be “ genetically petite and sexy “. However, other – environmental - factors are also involved. Simply being informed about health issues ( reading this thread ! ), and being able to afford access to gyms, parks, healthy food, and doctors, all play their part.

There are “ causes of causes “ ( as Donald Rumsfeld might have said ) :smile:. Low physical activity, for example, is associated with living conditions which encourage sedentary behaviour. Jen touched on this – offices surrounded by fast food chains - in her post. Advice which might be helpful in the UK, such as walking briskly, is also not so easy to apply in a tropical climate, except early morning or late evening !

Even the English Chief Medical Officer doesn’t understand all the causes of being overweight, and realises that a tax on sugar ( and/or fat ) – ANY levy on consumption – hits the poor hardest.

We can be reasonably sure about the major risks of being overweight, as already mentioned. However, the relationship between diet, obesity, and physical inactivity to cancer is NOT so well defined or easy to prove. Advice from cancer experts ( " be lean, physically active, avoid energy-dense foods, eat a variety of fruits, vegetable, wholegrains and pulses, and limit total consumption of alcohol " ) needs to be taken with a " pinch of salt " when the OVERALL reduction in cancer risk is 5% !

Our diet is complicated. It’s also hard to persuade volunteers in studies to keep a diary of what they eat for long enough ( several years ) to prove cause-and-effect of specific items. Moderation in all things - for life - still seems sensible advice :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Michael Parnham
29th March 2014, 13:47

I disagree Brian, my Maritess weighs just under 7 stone 5feet tall and very small boned, when I see her eating a lot on certain occasions I always tell her to be careful Because I'm terrified she will put weight on!

tiger31
29th March 2014, 14:26
I disagree Brian, my Maritess weighs just under 7 stone 5feet tall and very small boned, when I see her eating a lot on certain occasions I always tell her to be careful Because I'm terrified she will put weight on!

Michael, it,s very insulting to a woman to tell her to lose weight in my opinion. Will you love your wife less if she gained a bit of weight ? In later years it,s very hard for women to lose weight.

NoRest
29th March 2014, 14:37
Hi Doc Alan, this is such an interesting topic. When my fiance went here last May, I was fat and he asked me if I could lose some, I promised him and I did it somehow, weeks before he went here last November, I took pills and as what we expected I gained weight, more than what i was when he was here last May. I almost lost him because of my weight issues but instead of leaving me, he encouraged me and helped me to lose weight.

Now I've got some replacements with the food that I was eating, white rice before, brown rice now, fried before, steamed now. I also went back to my boxing and jogging. Here in the Philippines, its very hard to have a healthy meal as most offices here in urban area are surrounded by fast food chains which is really my struggle, and it is really expensive to buy for some quick healthy meals. My fiance has told me before that it is not impossible here in the Philippines to have a good body as he had seen some petite woman, I wasn't able to rebut and tell him that its hard for me to look for some healthy meals if you are working in the city, I should've said that but I just remained silent, but I just thought few weeks ago that the women we have seen before look like their bodies are really genetically petite and sexy and I doubt that they have healthy life style.

Which is very unfortunate in my part, I have to have a healthy lifestyle before I can have a good body as I have a chubby family.

When I met my boyfriend (now my husband), I was the fattie. I continued to gain weight after having 2 kids, until I realized enough is enough. Self control and lots of physical activity (in any form) is the key. Now, I'm "fitter" . On the other hand, the husband's expanding waist line is uncontrollable, (and I am blamed for it because of my kitchen prowess). I try to encourage him to cut down on the lard, but he won't budge. Still, I love him to bits. Fat or thin. Just as he loved me way back when I was a fattie. Still, it would be nice for him to lose a bit more weight though...

gWaPito
29th March 2014, 14:38

I agree. We are what we are. You can't change your genetics. ...what a cheek :cwm23::doh

My ex is 5' 5'' weighs around the 42kilo. Only went up to 47 kilos during 2 Pregnancies.

NoRest
29th March 2014, 17:52
Lucky her :smile:

grahamw48
29th March 2014, 19:19
When I was last weighed and measured (2006) , I was 6'1" and 80kgs. My clothes from then still fit...so. :Erm:

I gave up smoking 2 weeks ago, and I go out cycling every day now.
It was really nice getting back home this afternoon after a good ride, and not feeling at all breathless, overheated, or 'heady'. :smile:

There is nobody in my immediate (blood-related) family that is overweight.

Even though I'm naturally slim, I still keep sugar and salt consumption to a minimum, and also avoid frying food.

At the moment I'm eating lots of snacks because of the lack of cigs, but I know that will only be a temporary crutch.

Sorry to have to say, but I find fat women unattractive...always have done.

Terpe
29th March 2014, 21:31
No offence intended.....but I've noticed a huge increase in overweight folks in Philippines.

I've also noticed an increase in overweight folks at my gym & spa.

I'm guilty also......I increased my weight by 15kg when I gave up smoking.
Tried hard and did a lot of cycling last year.....lost quite a few kg ..but still the same now after getting lazy during wintertime.

These past 5 weeks I've been really pushing myself with swimming every day ......not a huge weight loss just 2.5 kg.....but my waistline has decreased. My trousers keep falling down now :icon_lol:

Must get back on that bike too......

Unlike Graham, I find some overweight ladies hugely attractive :hubbahubba:

purple
29th March 2014, 22:25
Do weight training. It helps you gain muscle mass= weight gain :)

I been so thin since birth. I eat a lot but still nothing changes in my figure. I want to gain weight but not sure how. I took vitamins but seems useless. I am 110lbs and 5'6" I want to achieve the 130lbs but seems hard to get. Any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:

marksroomspain
29th March 2014, 22:35
Well as regards to overweight my ex was 58kg when we met then almost doubled that to 114kg but we stayed together for 15 years but things just died out.

Jamie my wife was 57kg when we met and at 5ft 5 ultra slim and sexy for me. (even though she thought she was fat compared to other filipinas:cwm25:)

Over a year after giving birth she is down to 59kg once again so sexy but she wants to be 55kg hence me working hard also with a 105kg target in mind or maybe lower.

There's nothing better than a beautiful sexy filipina to keep us guys on our toes...:hubbahubba: :biggrin: :wink:

raynaputi
29th March 2014, 23:29
I'm 5'2" tall & weighed 56kg before I came here. After 2 years of being here, I now weigh 50.6kg. All my friends and relatives told me I was thin when we had our holiday last November! What does it tell me? I miss eating proper Filipino food!!! :bigcry:

But seriously, what made me lose some weight (unintentionally coz I don't find myself fat, just have a slightly big tummy though :cwm3:) is because I only eat rice once a day since I arrive here, during lunch time. When I was in the Philippines, I eat rice 3x a day! :biggrin:

Doc Alan
30th March 2014, 00:11
There do seem to be many influences on the imbalance between food intake and energy output. These start with inherited / genetic factors affecting appetite, metabolic rate, and how the body stores fat. They are in turn influenced by the environment ( family, society, and culture ). There isn’t one single big solution to obesity :NoNo:. But because it carries risks to health, it shouldn’t ( as the English CMO and others point out ) be accepted as “ the norm “.

Drugs and surgery are costly, and can only be for more extreme cases. Unlike cigarettes, fatty and sugary foods are not uniformly unhealthy – only in excess. So a “ sin tax “ is inappropriate, hard to enforce, and would be “ regressive “ ( poor people spend a higher proportion of their income on food than rich people ).

Many smaller measures may be the answer – starting with parents, who should know about / take responsibility for / and avoid overfeeding their kids :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Other measures would come at cost :-

• urban planners making streets and pavements safer for cyclists and pedestrians;
• improved access to healthy foods, sensible advice ( written and in person ) from healthcare workers;
• more gyms, swimming pools, and parks.

Ultimately the responsibility and ability to change does rest with individuals – no matter how hard it is, and how plausible the reasons ( ? excuses ) may be for NOT aiming at a healthy weight … for life.

I do appreciate the further interesting and honest posts from gWaPito, Graham, Purple, NoRest, Terpe, Michael, Mark and Rayna ! Hopefully they will inspire and help other members :smile: – much more so than advice, however well intentioned, from me alone.

Jentobeharrison
30th March 2014, 00:54
Hi Doc, How about those women who have bigger structure of the bones?

Some have been telling me that even if I lose weight, I will still look fat because I have broad shoulder.

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 03:32
I'm 5'2" tall & weighed 56kg before I came here. After 2 years of being here, I now weigh 50.6kg. All my friends and relatives told me I was thin when we had our holiday last November! What does it tell me? I miss eating proper Filipino food!!! :bigcry:

But seriously, what made me lose some weight (unintentionally coz I don't find myself fat, just have a slightly big tummy though :cwm3:) is because I only eat rice once a day since I arrive here, during lunch time. When I was in the Philippines, I eat rice 3x a day! :biggrin:

Same for me..when my wife was here, there was always rice to be eaten in the rice cooker and I was 10kg heavier. Now I just consume Uncle Ben's microwave rice once a day

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 03:35
There's nothing better than a beautiful sexy filipina to keep us guys on our toes...:hubbahubba: :biggrin: :wink:

I'll agree with that :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
30th March 2014, 06:22
20 years ago you couldn't find a chubby Filipina also in the 1940's and 50's it was a rare thing to see anyone chubby. with reference to Brian's question, of course I would still love my Maritess, it's just that I would feel uncomfortable with a fat lady because my generation find it difficult to accept that there are big people and as I said earlier it was so uncommon that if one did see someone big it was like seeing an alien, but today it's very common and as Doc said rather unhealthy even though some people think it's the norm. Hope no one is offended by this thread, I don't think anyone should be because whoever or whatever size you are, you are a really great bunch of nice people and I'm grateful that you contribute valuable knowledge and help to each other, love you all!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
30th March 2014, 06:29

Hello Rayna, could you be kind enough to convert kg into stones for me please because I've never understood kg and it seems to becoming the norm now, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jentobeharrison
30th March 2014, 08:12
Michael, it,s very insulting to a woman to tell her to lose weight in my opinion. Will you love your wife less if she gained a bit of weight ? In later years it,s very hard for women to lose weight.

You are right, it was very insulting. I am not sure if any one here has an idea how painful it was to be told to lose weight, worse happened to me when my fiance went here November. One night before my birthday party, we had some heart-to heart talk in Riverbanks Marikina, we were seated in the grass and there were people around us as well but that moment was really painful. That moment he told me that I was so big for his eyes to the point the he was currently unattracted to me-- My world crashed and really cried, it was the most painful moment in my life, I swear, he also cried for making me feel that way but we both cant help it. Until we reached the hotel and the coldness between us were still present, i was like staying in a hotel with a stranger, until the night, i cant stop crying and told him that I wanna go home and did not want to see him but as the time goes by, it calmed me down. He talked to me and said that the reason why he was just being honest because he loves me and wanted to be with me forever, he decided to tell it to me directly in persont whilst he was here and we were together than go back to England and just leave me. It was a wake up call for me, but you know it really affect my personality, The first 2 to 3 weeks of struggling in exercise and diet, I had a very low self-esteem, the high confidence that I had, were all vanished, insecurity almost killed me, I almost gave up thinking that if he loves me, he should accept the real me, but it will just ruin our relationship and I might hate him if I will always think that way. He also told me that if I wont lose weight until February, he wouldn't like to marry a woman who has no plan to get healthy. But since he saw that I am trying and has plans, he then told me that he was just joking to me about giving me deadline for losing weight, he will still marry me no matter what but of course he doesnt want me to suffer in our marriage life in the future if I remain fat and will still be unattractive for him.

He loves me for who I am and my personality, that is the reason why he stayed and why he gave me a chance.

Some people that I've talked to about this, see him as a shallow minded person, a bad person who is trying to change me, but if he didn't do that, maybe until now I am living with his lies.

But honestly it has still a big impact to me. Hahaha. I am still insecure.

raynaputi
30th March 2014, 09:24
Hello Rayna, could you be kind enough to convert kg into stones for me please because I've never understood kg and it seems to becoming the norm now, thank you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

56 kg = 8.81849 stone
50.6 kg = 7.968136 stone

Doc Alan
30th March 2014, 09:28

Michael, thank you for your responses to this thread, and I'm glad it's of some help to members. As the World Health Organization reminds us, worldwide obesity rates have nearly doubled since 1980, and neither the UK nor the Philippines have escaped this trend. It is indeed a sensitive and difficult issue for those who realise - or are told - they may have a weight problem.

I’m sure Rayna won’t mind me trying to help with your question ! The link which helps you to calculate BMI also allows conversion between “ metric “ ( kilograms / centimetres ) and “ imperial “ ( pounds / ounces / feet / inches )

( http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
) .

grahamw48
30th March 2014, 10:07

Some people that I've talked to about this, see him as a shallow minded person, a bad person who is trying to change me, but if he didn't do that, maybe until now I am living with his lies.

You seem to be taking some major life-changing decisions...despite these negative experiences and insecurities. :Erm:

Rosie1958
30th March 2014, 10:41
At my age (55) it’s a never ending battle to keep weight off! I work long hours and spend too much time in the office but I don’t snack and I watch what I eat carefully. I know if I didn’t work, I’d be slimmer as I enjoy exercising but find I don’t do as much as I’d like due to lack of availability of time.

I do find that eating smaller portions and walking helps to keep the weight from increasing and throughout the winter months, I go out walking in the dark a few times a week. I have gym membership but find using a gym is boring, I'd much sooner be outside in the fresh air exercising, even if it is in the dark! :cwm25:

I do take advantage of the weekends and go out walking then too. I walked 8 miles yesterday and despite wearing thick hiking socks, I have a lovely big blister to prove it, so won’t be going as far today! :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to being outside more in the lighter evenings :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 10:42
He loves me for who I am and my personality, that is the reason why he stayed and why he gave me a chance.

That's very kind of him :cwm25: :BlacklistThumbdown0:xxmixed-smiley-017:

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 10:51
At my age (55) it’s a never ending battle to keep weight off! I work long hours and spend too much time in the office but I don’t snack and I watch what I eat carefully. I know if I didn’t work, I’d be slimmer as I enjoy exercising but find I don’t do as much as I’d like due to lack of availability of time.

I do find that eating smaller portions and walking helps to keep the weight from increasing and throughout the winter months, I go out walking in the dark a few times a week. I have gym membership but find using a gym is boring, I'd much sooner be outside in the fresh air exercising, even if it is in the dark! :cwm25:

I do take advantage of the weekends and go out walking then too. I walked 8 miles yesterday and despite wearing thick hiking socks, I have a lovely big blister to prove it, so won’t be going as far today! :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to being outside more in the lighter evenings :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Im the same Rosie..No time. I work a 70 hour week...Add a weekly 10 hour commute,, The only time i have to exercise is a 3 hour window after Ive taken my boys back to their mother.

If I dont do the gym I go to seed...Eating correctly isnt a problem as Ive always done it. I know it will get easier for me later in the year.

It's so easy to go off the rails

Rosie1958
30th March 2014, 10:57
You are right, it was very insulting. I am not sure if any one here has an idea how painful it was to be told to lose weight, worse happened to me when my fiance went here November. One night before my birthday party, we had some heart-to heart talk in Riverbanks Marikina, we were seated in the grass and there were people around us as well but that moment was really painful. That moment he told me that I was so big for his eyes to the point the he was currently unattracted to me-- My world crashed and really cried, it was the most painful moment in my life, I swear, he also cried for making me feel that way but we both cant help it. Until we reached the hotel and the coldness between us were still present, i was like staying in a hotel with a stranger, until the night, i cant stop crying and told him that I wanna go home and did not want to see him but as the time goes by, it calmed me down. He talked to me and said that the reason why he was just being honest because he loves me and wanted to be with me forever, he decided to tell it to me directly in persont whilst he was here and we were together than go back to England and just leave me. It was a wake up call for me, but you know it really affect my personality, The first 2 to 3 weeks of struggling in exercise and diet, I had a very low self-esteem, the high confidence that I had, were all vanished, insecurity almost killed me, I almost gave up thinking that if he loves me, he should accept the real me, but it will just ruin our relationship and I might hate him if I will always think that way. He also told me that if I wont lose weight until February, he wouldn't like to marry a woman who has no plan to get healthy. But since he saw that I am trying and has plans, he then told me that he was just joking to me about giving me deadline for losing weight, he will still marry me no matter what but of course he doesnt want me to suffer in our marriage life in the future if I remain fat and will still be unattractive for him.

I find your fiance’s lack of tact staggering, no wonder you have been suffering from low self esteem and haven’t felt good about yourself. :NoNo: Strong positive encouragement is far more benefical than threats and I hope that he has also learnt from his very cruel and blunt actions.

You can do it Jen, but do it for yourself. Just remain focussed, reduce your portions sizes, make sure you eat fruit and vegetables and exercise as much as you can! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
30th March 2014, 11:30
The 2 things that are important to a woman is her hair and her figure even I know that and thats coming from a man lol so making remarks about either in a rude way is not thinking of her feelings .you are what you are and your partner should except you the way you are .

tiger31
30th March 2014, 11:31
I find your fiance’s lack of tact staggering, no wonder you have been suffering from low self esteem and haven’t felt good about yourself. :NoNo: Strong positive encouragement is far more benefical than threats and I hope that he has also learnt from his very cruel and blunt actions.

You can do it Jen, but do it for yourself. Just remain focussed, reduce your portions sizes, make sure you eat fruit and vegetables and exercise as much as you can! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

perfectly spoken comment :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
30th March 2014, 17:31
56 kg = 8.81849 stone
50.6 kg = 7.968136 stone

Thank's so much Rayna!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
30th March 2014, 17:33
Michael, thank you for your responses to this thread, and I'm glad it's of some help to members. As the World Health Organization reminds us, worldwide obesity rates have nearly doubled since 1980, and neither the UK nor the Philippines have escaped this trend. It is indeed a sensitive and difficult issue for those who realise - or are told - they may have a weight problem.

I’m sure Rayna won’t mind me trying to help with your question ! The link which helps you to calculate BMI also allows conversion between “ metric “ ( kilograms / centimetres ) and “ imperial “ ( pounds / ounces / feet / inches )

( http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
) .

Thank you also Alan!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
30th March 2014, 17:37

Walking does do the trick Rosie, no need to do eight miles just do less distance but be consistent, try a little each day if you can!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
30th March 2014, 18:12

You come over a really lovely person Jen and he is one hell of a lucky guy.

Remember like Rosie said, do this for yourself not for anybody else.

I hope you both have a happy future together.

Love & Peace...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

cessxy
30th March 2014, 19:22
I gained 2 stone since I arrive here in England. Been classified as obese for my height according to BMI calculator. I can't wear fitted clothes without the help of the shapewear but my tummy still hanging. So frustrated and angry to myself why I let my body ballooned. So I need to do something for it,I started my weight lose journey January this year. I cutdown my food, eat healthy and exercise.
So far I loose 18 pounds now. And loose a lot of inches in my tummy which keep me motivated and carry on to what I'm doing till I reach my target weight. But I won't ever ever let my body get bigger anymore.

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 20:31
eat healthy and exercise..

That's all what is required. It's as simple as that. Life style choice.

Congratulations on losing your excess weight. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
30th March 2014, 22:54
I gained 2 stone since I arrive here in England. Been classified as obese for my height according to BMI calculator. I can't wear fitted clothes without the help of the shapewear but my tummy still hanging. So frustrated and angry to myself why I let my body ballooned. So I need to do something for it,I started my weight lose journey January this year. I cutdown my food, eat healthy and exercise.
So far I loose 18 pounds now. And loose a lot of inches in my tummy which keep me motivated and carry on to what I'm doing till I reach my target weight. But I won't ever ever let my body get bigger anymore.

Well done girl ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I know it is a problem for a lot of Filipinas who come here to live.

Change of climate, diet ?

I'm coming round to thinking it's maybe the change of diet, as that is also what seems to be changing over in the Phils , leading to more overweight people.

Rosie1958
30th March 2014, 23:05

Wow, fantastic, Cessxy, keep going, you're doing a great job!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 23:07
You can spot a few of the ones who's been here for a while. ..They blow out

The emaciated look all but a distant memory

grahamw48
30th March 2014, 23:18
My ex never put any weight on...even after having our boy.

She did stick to her Filipino style diet though, and took lots of exercise.

gWaPito
31st March 2014, 01:16
So did mine, all filipino foods..used to eat like a horse. The only time she broke that diet was at Christmas times over my mother's

'Food is the most abused anxiety drug. Exercise is the most underutilised antidepressant'

Doc Alan
31st March 2014, 14:21
Thank you for further interesting responses Jen, Tiger, Rosie, Cessxy, Graham and gWaPito :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Our body shapes and weights are influenced by inherited factors interacting with the environment. If only the worldwide obesity epidemic just mattered for aesthetic reasons, body image and self-esteem … whether or not an overweight individual and their partners / loved ones were happy with their appearance ! But we all now know there are also serious health risks which may shorten lifespan.

I agree that “ positive encouragement, rather than threats “ tend to work better with health matters, whether on an individual level, or from public health experts :smile:.

We know that cancers vary markedly in frequency round the world – the frequency in migrant populations tends to move towards that of the recipient country. The environment is more important than heredity with most cancers.

Similarly there is " dietary acculturation " – migrant groups tend to adopt the food choices and eating habits of their host country. This is complicated by the " nutrition transition " ( changing eating habits in the home country ) , which ALREADY account for increased obesity rates in the Philippines, part of a global trend.

The English Chief Medical Officer may not have struck the right note with what some view as a threatening approach to the issue of overweight and obesity :NoNo:. But she did right in drawing our attention to the problems arising, which – if unchecked - are unaffordable in ANY community !

Michael Parnham
31st March 2014, 18:49

Very well done Cessxy, you set a good example to others who need to lose weight!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 01:15
Walking does do the trick Rosie, no need to do eight miles just do less distance but be consistent, try a little each day if you can!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Whatever your chosen mode of exercise, if your heart rate is increased sufficently you will make gains :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
1st April 2014, 19:53
When i first arrived in England I was 6 stone:yikes:

Now, I am a booming 8 stones during winter and 7 stones during summer:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

fat chance?? I don't mind as long as I am happy ... a little of what I fancy does me good:wink:

Moy
1st April 2014, 21:22
:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: well done cess:biggrin:
cess and i are team too..:biggrin:

i had love your shape now i can testify but dont tell me how i shape was:bigcry::laugher::icon_lol:

Moy
1st April 2014, 21:24
Well done girl ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I know it is a problem for a lot of Filipinas who come here to live.

Change of climate, diet ?

I'm coming round to thinking it's maybe the change of diet, as that is also what seems to be changing over in the Phils , leading to more overweight people.

prob?? think its not:icon_lol::biggrin: its hobby:Rasp::action-smiley-081::laugher:

Moy
1st April 2014, 21:26
When i first arrived in England I was 6 stone:yikes:

Now, I am a booming 8 stones during winter and 7 stones during summer:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

fat chance?? I don't mind as long as I am happy ... a little of what I fancy does me good:wink:

now your talking i have my competition:cwm24::action-smiley-081::Rasp::biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 22:55
When you're busy all the time food can sometimes be your only form of relaxation so, why not..A little of what you fancy won't hurt :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
10th March 2015, 23:45
If only the 28 stone 33 years old mother of three from Gateshead ( Ded’s rant :- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/56360-Bone-Idle-Lardy ) was the only one :doh !

• Obesity is a global issue – about a third ( 2.1 billion ) are overweight or obese ; compared to 840 million estimated to be undernourished ; over the past three decades not one nation has slimmed down :omg:.

• In the UK, estimates for 2013 are that over a quarter of boys ( under 20 ) are overweight and obese ( 7.4% obese ) ; two thirds of men overweight and obese ( a quarter obese ) ; for girls, almost a third ( and 8% obese) ; women, about three fifths ( a quarter obese ).

• The Philippines – with the decline of communicable diseases there is an increase in obesity and its consequences :-

5.5% boys overweight and obese ( 2.6% obese ) ; about a quarter of men ( 4.1% obese ) ; 5.4% of girls ( 2.1% obese ) ; a quarter of women ( 6.2% obese ).

• Apart from contributing to many diseases, possibly 5% of all deaths worldwide, and costing the NHS £5 billion annually, it’s a massive drain on the economy ( £ 16 billion annually in the UK ).

• Even if the estimates are just that, and BMI ( Body Mass Index ) on which they’re based is an imperfect measure ( a tape measure round the waist has advantages :biggrin: ! ) – it does seem obesity is an economic, social and health burden as important as smoking, armed violence and terrorism ; and more serious than alcoholism, air pollution, drug use and road accidents.

• If it was simply a matter of eating less and exercising more, there wouldn’t be this worsening global pandemic :doh.

There’s huge variation round the world, but generally although consumption of healthier foods has increased, that of unhealthy foods has increased MORE ; and people are taking LESS exercise.

• There is NO single intervention which can do much good, but a combination of over 40 interventions could bring a fifth of overweight/obese Britons back to normal weight.

• There are many beliefs about obesity which persist despite contradicting evidence ( myths ) or without supporting evidence ( presumptions ).

• Facts – things we know with reasonable confidence - are these :-

1. Diets ( reduced energy intake ) do reduce weight but they’re hard to maintain long term.

2. Increased exercise improves health even with little weight loss.

3. Overweight children need involvement of parents and the home setting more so than school programmes.

4. Some prescription drugs and weight loss surgery are effective in appropriate patients.

• This is – literally – a massive topic. Even the " experts " who came up with over 40 possible interventions to tackle the obesity epidemic, acknowledge that readers are unlikely to agree with ALL their suggestions :NoNo:.

• Overweight people do seem to face humiliation, ridicule, insults, and discrimination to a greater extent than those with other unhealthy lifestyles – which seems only to aggravate their condition.

• It’s not for me to judge people’s lifestyle choices – and it’s debatable how much governments should do to promote healthier lifestyles, in addition to individual effort. What is beyond doubt is that obesity is now a critical global issue – with neither a single cause nor solution.

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/economic_studies/how_the_world_could_better_fight_obesity

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2814%2960460-8/abstract

Arthur Little
11th March 2015, 02:06
Throughout most of my life, I've maintained a reasonably steady weight for my height ... except for a short period in 1952/53 at the age of eight.

At that time, I was still living in the city of Glasgow (my birthplace) and my parents had been informed I'd [possibly] developed what they'd (from then on) believed to be: "Enlarged glands in my back" - for which a portable X-ray machine was brought to our North Kelvinside flat to confirm the diagnosis - and there followed a period of 3 months' bed rest interspersed with the occasional trip to nearby Ruchill Hospital for further x-ray examinations.

Unsurprisingly, such a lengthy spell of inactivity led to me piling on excess pounds and, not long after the doctors had pronounced me fit enough to return to school, we moved to the rural Perthshire village of Glenfarg where, unfortunately, I soon found myself being "picked upon" by the local kids who took to teasing and bullying what they perceived to be a bloated "Glesca keeley" incomer. :doh Yet ... :anerikke: ... with hindsight - and looking back over old photos - I can see I wasn't really all that fat.

Anyway, in later years - when I was round about 14 - I became eligible for the BCG injection. However, prior to this procedure being administered, potential candidates were subjected to a small pinprick to determine any possible immunity to tuberculosis ... and the outcome of mine indicated this to be the case with me, so that, instead of receiving the actual jab, I was referred to the Mass Radiography Unit stationed in Perth - leading me to be asked for the first time, if I'd ever had, or been in contact with, anyone suffering from TB ... to which I'd replied I hadn't; not that I knew of anyway.

Although, much later still - and on several occasions in recent years - I've been asked the same question. Indeed, an x-ray taken in 2005 showed scarring on my lungs which, in turn, I learned from my GP was indicative of the presence of TB many years before.

Aha! :yeahthat:'s it, I thought - MYSTERY SOLVED - albeit it was something I'd suspected myself since I was a teenager.

But then ... :anerikke: ... that was 1958 when I was first questioned.

Arthur Little
11th March 2015, 02:41
Alan ... my apologies for straying a bit :icon_offtopic: on a thread dealing with OBESITY issues. Given that you have already prepared several threads specifically relating to Tuberculosis, perhaps I ought to've discussed TB separately. But, of course, as you've seen, in my own case, the two conditions happened to be bound up inextricably. Hence I decided to lump them together. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
11th March 2015, 09:23
If only the 28 stone 33 years old mother of three from Gateshead ( Ded’s rant :- http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/56360-Bone-Idle-Lardy ) was the only one :doh !

• Obesity is a global issue – about a third ( 2.1 billion ) are overweight or obese ; compared to 840 million estimated to be undernourished ; over the past three decades not one nation has slimmed down :omg:.

• In the UK, estimates for 2013 are that over a quarter of boys ( under 20 ) are overweight and obese ( 7.4% obese ) ; two thirds of men overweight and obese ( a quarter obese ) ; for girls, almost a third ( and 8% obese) ; women, about three fifths ( a quarter obese ).

• The Philippines – with the decline of communicable diseases there is an increase in obesity and its consequences :-

5.5% boys overweight and obese ( 2.6% obese ) ; about a quarter of men ( 4.1% obese ) ; 5.4% of girls ( 2.1% obese ) ; a quarter of women ( 6.2% obese ).

• Apart from contributing to many diseases, possibly 5% of all deaths worldwide, and costing the NHS £5 billion annually, it’s a massive drain on the economy ( £ 16 billion annually in the UK ).

• Even if the estimates are just that, and BMI ( Body Mass Index ) on which they’re based is an imperfect measure ( a tape measure round the waist has advantages :biggrin: ! ) – it does seem obesity is an economic, social and health burden as important as smoking, armed violence and terrorism ; and more serious than alcoholism, air pollution, drug use and road accidents.

• If it was simply a matter of eating less and exercising more, there wouldn’t be this worsening global pandemic :doh.

There’s huge variation round the world, but generally although consumption of healthier foods has increased, that of unhealthy foods has increased MORE ; and people are taking LESS exercise.

• There is NO single intervention which can do much good, but a combination of over 40 interventions could bring a fifth of overweight/obese Britons back to normal weight.

• There are many beliefs about obesity which persist despite contradicting evidence ( myths ) or without supporting evidence ( presumptions ).

• Facts – things we know with reasonable confidence - are these :-

1. Diets ( reduced energy intake ) do reduce weight but they’re hard to maintain long term.

2. Increased exercise improves health even with little weight loss.

3. Overweight children need involvement of parents and the home setting more so than school programmes.

4. Some prescription drugs and weight loss surgery are effective in appropriate patients.

• This is – literally – a massive topic. Even the " experts " who came up with over 40 possible interventions to tackle the obesity epidemic, acknowledge that readers are unlikely to agree with ALL their suggestions :NoNo:.

• Overweight people do seem to face humiliation, ridicule, insults, and discrimination to a greater extent than those with other unhealthy lifestyles – which seems only to aggravate their condition.

• It’s not for me to judge people’s lifestyle choices – and it’s debatable how much governments should do to promote healthier lifestyles, in addition to individual effort. What is beyond doubt is that obesity is now a critical global issue – with neither a single cause nor solution.

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/economic_studies/how_the_world_could_better_fight_obesity

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2814%2960460-8/abstract

Wow, another eye opener Alan, quite shocking! :NoNo:

Trefor
11th March 2015, 10:51
What saddens me is seeing fat parents with fat children. The kids are being brought up 'fat'.

Abigail
11th March 2015, 11:40
I was at my heaviest last year, being 22 stone 1 pound. Since my husband and I married we have wanted to start a family but we were not having any luck so we were referred to a fertility clinic. After various tests to both of us they have concluded the problem is my weight. I have polycystic ovaries which means I do not ovulate regularly anyway but the doctors have told me my weight is making it worse. I believe that even if I did conceive the risks to me and the baby would be much higher during the pregnancy because of my weight? The last time I went to the clinic in October I was told that they cannot and will not offer me any form of treatment until I get my BMI under 30.

I have always been big, ever since I was a child (despite being a competitive swimmer and synchronised swimmer) so to be honest I am not sure I could ever get my BMI under 30 which is devastating news because I want a family. However I am trying, since October I have lost 38 pounds by changing my diet alone. Now my weight seems to have stuck so I am having to start introducing exercise as well. I just hope it makes a difference because it is the hardest thing I have ever done.

My family are all big, grandparents and parents but I have always been the biggest. I think a small part of it is genetic but I cannot blame anyone but myself. The people in these programmes make me disgusted and embarrassed in case others think of me as they do them. I have always worked and always would, they seem to blame everyone else for their weight. No one is forcing them to eat the way they do and no one is stopping them changing.

Trefor
11th March 2015, 15:03
Well done Abigail, keep it up! Now the weather is improving exercise is more interesting than going to the gym too!

Abigail
11th March 2015, 15:19
Thank you so much Trefor. To be honest I don't believe I could ever go to a gym just because I feel so uncomfortable there, like I really don't belong. My husband is very into cycling so to try and make an effort my parents gave me a bike for my Christmas. As you say the weather should be improving now so hopefully there will be plenty chances to use it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
11th March 2015, 15:22
Well done Abigail. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My grandma (the only one alive now) has always been fat but she has always worked and active as far as I know, yet not losing a lot of weight. Every youngsters in the village call her "Lola Taba", not to mock her though. :biggrin: One of my aunts used to be fat but a couple of years ago lost a lot of weight due to her depression, which I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Every case is different. There are fat people who can't lose the weight whatever they do (might be because of medical reasons) but there are also fat people who doesn't even care at all about their health and keeps on building it up as they please.

Abigail
11th March 2015, 15:38
Thanks Rayna and thanks Doc for the rep.

I think you are right Rayna there are so many reasons people can be fat. Unfortunately I was the opposite to your aunt I got fat because I was depressed and turned to food for comfort. The one thing I find hard sometimes is the Filipino attitude of being brutally honest. All my husbands relatives comment on my weight but they don't mean to be offensive they are just stating a fact.

I read Jen's comment before about her fiancé telling her he wasn't attracted to her anymore and I just think that is awful, I would be devastated if my husband ever said anything like that. People need support and encouragement to lose not ridicule or being told they aren't attractive but most importantly they have to want to lose as well.

Doc Alan
11th March 2015, 17:16
Thank you for reading my update and your responses :xxgrinning--00xx3: ! Your opinions are appreciated.

Arthur – as you say, your posts were not completely " off topic "– they just illustrate one underlying medical condition contributing to being overweight. Latent TB, your likely diagnosis, is hopefully explained in the TB thread. Anyone with latent TB is / has been infected, but with no symptoms and they can’t transmit the disease. It wouldn’t be appropriate ( or possible ) nowadays either to prescribe prolonged bed rest, or treat every single case ( perhaps a third of the world’s population may have latent TB ).

Times have changed, in any case – for example, heart disease and backache were treated by prolonged rest within the past 50 years, no longer considered appropriate. In fact, there is probably no single medical condition which is made worse by exercise of mild or moderate intensity.

In Abigail’s case, polycystic ovary syndrome is more recently recognised, not an uncommon cause of weight gain, and treatment ( if not cure ) is available.

Trefor – involving parents and the home setting ARE considered effective in promoting and maintaining weight loss.

Rayna – I wish your Lola well, and thankful she is treated with love and respect.

Michael - my carefully selected links do show just what a global problem obesity has become.

stevewool
11th March 2015, 18:38
I have a little lump that protrudes when I am relaxed, but hey, I'm happy!

Arthur Little
11th March 2015, 19:11
I have a little lump that protrudes when I am relaxed, but hey, I'm happy!

:cwm25: ... care to explain?

Um ... no - on second thoughts, perhaps best not - :cwm24: ... you've already divulged :toomuchinfo:

stevewool
11th March 2015, 19:57
DEAR DEAR ME Arthur, what are you thinking? I am talking about me belly

Arthur Little
11th March 2015, 20:33
DEAR DEAR ME Arthur, what are you thinking? I am talking about me belly

:icon_lol: ... aye, Steve ... that'll be right! :biggrin:

Arthur Little
11th March 2015, 20:47
:icon_lol: ... aye, Steve ... that'll be right! :biggrin:

Although :icon_rolleyes: ... they do say, the quickest way to a man's heart :heartshape1: is through his stomach. :wink:

Rosie1958
13th March 2015, 01:45
............I have always been big, ever since I was a child (despite being a competitive swimmer and synchronised swimmer) so to be honest I am not sure I could ever get my BMI under 30 which is devastating news because I want a family. However I am trying, since October I have lost 38 pounds by changing my diet alone. Now my weight seems to have stuck so I am having to start introducing exercise as well. I just hope it makes a difference because it is the hardest thing I have ever done.

Wow ....Abigail, losing 38 pounds is a fabulous achievement, very well done!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: I really don't like going to a gym for exercise either but love being outside in the fresh air and I really enjoy walking. I'm fortunate to live near a couple of hills that I regularly use as one of my walking routes which helps with cardiovascular exercise. I'd recommend briskly walking a few miles several times each week to anybody as a great form of exercise which, coupled with a reduced/ lower calorie intake, is a sure way of burning fat :xxgrinning--00xx3: and of course it's cheap!

Trefor
13th March 2015, 09:56
Abigail, with regards to the gym it is often the 'type' of gym which is a problem. The best thing would be a women only gym if there is such a thing in Aberdeen. Second best is a smaller 'local' gym. I go to one near me and it is used by a complete spectrum of people, lots of middle aged people with a bit much weight, and not many 'skinny housewives who spend 2 hours on the steps then sip cappuccino in the reception for another hour' IYKWIM.

The worst kind of places are the big commercial gyms. I used to use a David Lloyd gym in High Wycombe. Great place with a pool & jacuzzi too. However it was very expensive (£75 a month vs. £3 a visit I pay now) and the clientele were far too trendy for their own good.

Also, don't forget exercise classes instead of the actual gym.

Doc Alan
13th March 2015, 10:10
Thank you, Rosie and Trefor :xxgrinning--00xx3: ! Walking IS beneficial, even if some health problems – such as obesity - limit the length of time it’s possible, or in a minority make it impossible.

• No matter how much – or little - sympathy one has for the 2 billion human beings in the world who are overweight or obese, the fact is that their cost to personal health, national health systems, and the economy are unsustainable - and worsening with time :doh.

• Even if NO single intervention can do much good, at least the suggestions ( by McKinsey Global Institute ) here are worth considering ( left click on image ) !

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/Obesity_zps3prcbkah.png (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/DocAlan/media/Obesity_zps3prcbkah.png.html)

( From :- http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/economic_studies/how_the_world_could_better_fight_obesity
)

Abigail
16th March 2015, 10:37
Thank you so much for the rep Rosie and the suggestion of walking, I actually do a fair amount of walking because I have a border collie who requires it. She is a great excuse for me to get out the house at least three times a day!

Trefor, thank you as well, I do know exactly what you mean and they are the kind of people that always make me feel so uncomfortable. I hadn't thought about a wee local gym so I will maybe have a look around for that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
16th March 2015, 23:23
Thank you so much for the rep Rosie and the suggestion of walking, I actually do a fair amount of walking because I have a border collie who requires it. She is a great excuse for me to get out the house at least three times a day!

Trefor, thank you as well, I do know exactly what you mean and they are the kind of people that always make me feel so uncomfortable. I hadn't thought about a wee local gym so I will maybe have a look around for that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hiya Abigail, just to congratulate you on your weight loss as I myself was over 30 stone quite a few years ago, but have been fighting a constant battle to try and be healthier.

May I ask are you married to a Filipino guy, as it's not often you see caucasian females here on filipino UK...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
16th March 2015, 23:30
Sorry Abigail, just realised you are married to a Filipino...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Abigail
17th March 2015, 17:25
Thank you so much for the congratulations and yes I am indeed married to a Filipino but you are right I am certainly in a minority

Doc Alan
17th August 2015, 19:56
" Diabetes UK " charity has warned that the number of people living with diabetes in the UK increased from 2.1 million a decade ago to over 3.3 million now. 90% of these are " type 2 diabetes " , closely linked to diet and obesity. ( Type 1 diabetes has also increased, but this is nothing to do with weight - they can’t produce insulin to control blood sugar levels ). Type 2 costs the NHS about £ 10 billion / year, and 10% of the drugs bill, because of serious complications ( nerve damage, loss of vision and damage to organs like the kidneys ).

A similar number of cases were diagnosed in the Philippines last year.

In the UK, 2/3 men and 3/5 women are overweight +/or obese ; Philippines, 1/5 men and ¼ women.

Obesity, with diabetes as one of its serious complications, would far more successfully – and cheaply – be dealt with by prevention in the first place. Eat less and exercise more :xxgrinning--00xx3: ! If only it was that simple :doh! Once people become obese it’s hard to return to a normal weight. Yet obesity is smoking’s successor as a great public health challenge – in the UK, the Philippines, and most other countries in the world.

No matter how much sympathy we may – or may not – have for " self-inflicted illnesses resulting from lifestyle choices ", the health and economic consequences are unaffordable in the UK, and more so in the Philippines :omg:. Taxpayers in the UK DO make judgements about access to finite pooled NHS resources. This UK Government would like to reduce or stop paying benefits to people who are obese ( or who have alcohol / drug dependency ) if they don’t comply with treatment – even if health professionals are uncomfortable with the idea of forcing people to have treatment.

There have been various other suggestions about tackling obesity ( and thereby controlling the epidemic of diabetes ) in this thread - including " fat tax " and / or a tax on refined sugar in drinks, and better hospital food.

Obesity and diabetes are linked, but NOT indigestible problems :NoNo:! The USA is making some progress in slimming down ; while the UK has a higher obesity rate than most other west European countries, and the rate’s increasing in the Philippines.

Many people in the UK DO manage to live a good life without becoming obese. I hope this update is of interest and maybe you have more thoughts about solutions which might work.

Rosie1958
19th August 2015, 22:59
Thanks for your interesting post Doc Alan. I believe that providing more education about the affects of over-eating and what can be done to prevent/ control obesity is key. People do have a choice about their life style but many just don't understand the harm that they are doing to themselves until it's too late, or they have already developed bad habits that are hard to break. Others just don't care.

There should be more collaboration with the food industry and supermarkets who greatly influence eating and shopping habits but people must also be encouraged to take responsibility for their own health and wellbeing. In my opinion, providing pro-active education at an easily understandable level to the right audience is paramount and should be started at an early age but it shouldn't stop there and should continue, also involving adequate exercise ............

mickcant
20th August 2015, 12:09
I have only just seen this thread, I was diagnosed about May this year (2015) with type 2 diabetes , have had the eye and feet checks and they are ok at the moment, and was referred to a slimming club to lose weight!

My weight then was 16 stone 10 and a half pounds, after 3 months I am now 14 stone 12 pound
have followed a low fat diet and counted Carbs and Calories, also gradually increased walking the dog lengths.

Giving up fattening puddings was a struggle but do not miss them now, for me it is changing eating habits altogether not being on a diet that will end.

Mick.:olddude:

les_taxi
20th August 2015, 12:43
I've lost nearly 2 stone in 6 months,rest of me slimish but big fat belly.I was worried about getting Diabetes too as it's common in my age group and with the weight I thought it's not happening to me.
tried all sorts of diets but the main one which worked for me was to eat smaller portions,i still eat the wrong things sometimes-love curries but never eat it all and feel no guilt at chucking some away.

grahamw48
20th August 2015, 16:50
I am 6'1" and weigh 12-13 stone. :603785:

Do I need to go to 'fatten-up' camp ? :biggrin:

I was in York today....and watching all the racegoers getting off the bus made me think...blimey, those poor buses must be carrying TWICE the weight they used to do a few years back. :Erm:

les_taxi
20th August 2015, 18:54
Sorry I never got in touch Graham about having a beer in York-never went car had to have new clutch and flywheel today:mad:
Bet on all 6 races from home-lost every race:doh

grahamw48
20th August 2015, 19:48
Oh dear...very dear ! :cwm24: No probs mate. Hope your wallet gets a refill soon. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
20th August 2015, 20:53
I have only just seen this thread, I was diagnosed about May this year (2015) with type 2 diabetes , have had the eye and feet checks and they are ok at the moment, and was referred to a slimming club to lose weight!

My weight then was 16 stone 10 and a half pounds, after 3 months I am now 14 stone 12 pound
have followed a low fat diet and counted Carbs and Calories, also gradually increased walking the dog lengths.

Giving up fattening puddings was a struggle but do not miss them now, for me it is changing eating habits altogether not being on a diet that will end.

Mick.:olddude:

Sorry Mick to hear of your Diabetes, delighted you are losing weight so keep up the good work no matter how difficult it is you will feel much better in time, well done.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
20th August 2015, 20:55
I've lost nearly 2 stone in 6 months,rest of me slimish but big fat belly.I was worried about getting Diabetes too as it's common in my age group and with the weight I thought it's not happening to me.
tried all sorts of diets but the main one which worked for me was to eat smaller portions,i still eat the wrong things sometimes-love curries but never eat it all and feel no guilt at chucking some away.

Congratulations on the weight loss Les, keep it up, well done.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
20th August 2015, 23:48
Mick Cant and Les, you are doing brilliantly and should feel so proud of yourselves!! Congratulations to you both, it's so hard to lose weight when you're older and a fantastic achievement! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
21st August 2015, 01:09
Sorry I never got in touch Graham about having a beer in York-never went car had to have new clutch and flywheel today:mad:
Bet on all 6 races from home-lost every race:doh

Fat Slags Handicap at York Races

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/20/18/2B87C17A00000578-3204882-image-a-66_1440091785938.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3204882/Battling-sartorial-stakes-Racegoers-pull-stops-bid-win-best-dressed-title-Ladies-Day-York.html

Doc Alan
21st August 2015, 07:41
Well done indeed Mick and Les :xxgrinning--00xx3: ! I respect your honesty.

Good advice from Rosie :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Graham – you’re in the “ healthy range “ for BMI :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Dedworth – you picked losers out of the promising fillies at York races :omg:

" BMI " ( Body Mass Index ; weight in kilograms / square of height in metres ) is commonly used as a measure of health and risk of disease. The " healthy range " is 18.5 – 24.9 ; 25 or more is overweight ; 30 or more is obese. However, it’s increasingly recognised that BMI has flaws – it can’t be used for children ; some adults with more muscle than usual such as rugby players may have a high BMI ; various ethnic groups such as Asians may be considered overweight at BMI 23(+) ; it’s also not easy to determine without a calculator :NoNo:

A simpler measure which is becoming increasingly recognised as possibly better than BMI is WAIST-TO-HEIGHT Ratio :smile:. Measuring someone’s waist is important, as it accounts for levels of " central fat " accumulating round organs like kidneys, liver and pancreas, and may be more closely linked to risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. It’s thought that the ratio should be less than half. All that needs to be done is to place a tape measure around the waist ( just above the " belly button " ). For a 6 foot man a waistline less than 36 inches, or a 5 foot 4 inches woman a waistline less than 32 inches, would give such a ratio. You don’t even need a tape measure ! A length of string to measure height, folded or cut in half may then be used for waist measurement :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

In the UK there will always be accusations of a " nanny state " if attempts are made to force weight loss by denying benefits to obese claimants, " fat / sugar " taxes, restraints on the food industry, or " Weight Watchers " on NHS prescriptions. But the facts are that the health and economic consequences are unsustainable for taxpayers ( no matter their individual weights ) :doh. It’s an increasing problem in the Philippines, where a greater burden of health care falls on individuals.

Obesity is too common to dismiss as a self-inflicted condition ( with increased risk of illnesses ) – it’s not for health care workers to be judgemental. But we certainly need to encourage and educate individuals who ARE motivated to lose weight :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

grahamw48
21st August 2015, 15:37
Thanks for that useful info Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

32" waist for me...where you've indicated to measure. (6'1" height).

I went in for blood tests at the doc's this week (mainly for cholesterol). Results next week. :smile:

mickcant
31st August 2015, 07:18
Oh dear, I have now lost 2 stone in weight, but with my height being 5.9 waist 45 1/2 and as of this morning (31-8-2015) 14s 6 lb
I will carry on reducing waist and weight, I have increased my daily walks (with :animal-smiley-037: to two 2 mile walks with other shorter walks in between, plus my daily task walking of course!
I gave up driving and sold my car last year, so that makes me walk more too :olddude:
Mick.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
31st August 2015, 08:40
Oh dear, I have now lost 2 stone in weight, but with my height being 5.9 waist 45 1/2 and as of this morning (31-8-2015) 14s 6 lb
I will carry on reducing waist and weight, I have increased my daily walks (with :animal-smiley-037: to two 2 mile walks with other shorter walks in between, plus my daily task walking of course!
I gave up driving and sold my car last year, so that makes me walk more too :olddude:
Mick.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Very well done Mick :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
31st August 2015, 09:33
Keep up the good work Mick. I too don't use a car anymore. No need with the free buses...saves a fortune and keeps you fit and without 'motoring stresses'. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I do have old mates (this one since our teens) who visit me with their lovely cars though. This was yesterday.

1976 Alfa Romeo Spider. Only 22,000 miles and immaculate throughout...as they say. :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
31st August 2015, 11:29
My waist 33" and 5'10" tall!:Erm:

grahamw48
31st August 2015, 13:07
You look quite small in your avatar Michael. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
31st August 2015, 13:13
Hmm, :icon_rolleyes: ... at [almost] 71 and 6ft tall, I weigh 13st. 7lbs ... :anerikke: ... probably about average, :biggrin: I'd say, for someone of my age, height and build!

Doc Alan
31st August 2015, 18:57
Thank you Mick, Graham, Michael and Arthur for your interest in the thread and honesty :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My BMI is within the " healthy " range, and waist-to-height ratio ( just ) acceptable at 0.5 :smile:

Of course I don't make value judgements - especially as I don't know most members - but simply inform, so members can decide for themselves on lifestyle choices which may affect their health.

Michael Parnham
31st August 2015, 19:10
You look quite small in your avatar Michael. :biggrin:

Oh Graham:icon_lol:

Arthur Little
1st September 2015, 13:14
My waist 33"

:wink: Waist measurement (mine) is 36" ... bordering on 38. Because - even though I'm now diabetic and need to be careful in what I eat - I still don't like to see food going to waste! :NoNo:

Doc Alan
30th November 2015, 21:47
Diet is in the news again :doh. The Philippines Heart Association is " reminding everyone to be wary of salty and fatty foods that may lead to heart and diabetes problems ". UK MPs and campaigners are recommending measures including 20% tax on sugary drinks, controlling " two for one " promotional sales of food, and ending TV advertising of high salt, high sugar and fatty foods until after the " 9 pm watershed " .

Overweight and obesity have increased globally, and despite isolated areas of improvement, no country to date has reversed this " pandemic ".

Obesity may well cost the NHS almost as much as the costs of smoking- and alcohol- related ill health combined. Even in the 1.35 million NHS staff, about 700,000 are overweight or obese.

It’s been shown in this thread that the Philippines is - like every other country - suffering the consequences of increasing overweight / obesity rates, even if the problems are not as great as those of the UK.

Obviously eating less and exercising more is too simplistic - it’s not working :NoNo:. Numerous factors - in addition to diet and exercise - contribute, including genes, social and cultural factors and the environment. It’s not just the responsibility of health services and governments - individuals have their role to play.

One " measure " to be remembered is the tape measure ! Height and waist measurements are at least as helpful as BMI ( not always reliable ).

It’s been suggested elsewhere on the Forum that being " skinny " is worse than being obese. BOTH are malnutrition ( poor nutrition ) - EACH carry different risks. About 2 billion of the world’s population are overweight or obese ; about 800 million are undernourished.

Around 3% of adults in the UK are thought to be underweight ; the problem is greater in the Philippines ( over 10% ). There children and adolescents may be underweight to a greater degree than in the UK, while ALSO having increasing rates of obesity.

Risks of being underweight include anaemia; fragile bones ( osteoporosis ); infections ( decreased immunity ); infertility; and chronic tiredness. There are other serious risks in children - over 70 million suffering worldwide at any one time.

Around the world, aid agencies are dealing with larger, more complex food insecurity crises than ever before, made worse by conflicts and severe weather events. A third of such undernourished people thought to be refugees or people internally displaced by conflict. Little attention has so far been paid to these problems, affecting about 30 countries.

Obesity and undernutrition are just the opposite ends of a spectrum of increasing worldwide malnutrition - both causes and possible solutions are complex.

grahamw48
30th November 2015, 21:55
Put 50% tax on useless drinks full of sugar...and ignore the bleatings of obviously biased industry spokespeople.

Sometimes the stupid or those just in self-denial have to be helped to help themselves... as with smokers and drinkers.

Doc Alan
2nd December 2015, 20:14
Put 50% tax on useless drinks full of sugar...and ignore the bleatings of obviously biased industry spokespeople.

Sometimes the stupid or those just in self-denial have to be helped to help themselves... as with smokers and drinkers.

Thanks Graham :smile:

With Christmas approaching and other matters dominating the news media, it’s unsurprising to have only one response to this update.

The world has become increasingly aware of the role of added sugars, especially in drinks, as a major cause of increased weight and diabetes. The only studies disputing this are funded by the sugar and beverage industries.

Many governments HAVE started actions to reduce consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks, including taxation; but also reduction of availability in schools, restrictions on marketing of sugary foods to childen, public awareness campaigns, and clearer labelling of packages.

The primary role of doctors, dentists, and other health care workers is to make people better, without making judgements. However, this obesity pandemic affects health services and governments, as well as those funding treatments - whether tax-payers, those paying " out-of-pocket ", or through insurance. It will certainly concentrate minds again once Christmas is over.

Michael Parnham
3rd December 2015, 11:18
I will never understand why the UK fell into the trap of Junk food and Energy drinks, we were warned thirty years ago when it was reported the dangers of becoming Obese and America was the target at that time!:Erm:

Doc Alan
3rd December 2015, 15:52
I will never understand why the UK fell into the trap of Junk food and Energy drinks, we were warned thirty years ago when it was reported the dangers of becoming Obese and America was the target at that time!:Erm:

Even now, a recent study showed about 3/4 of products in the US food supply contain caloric or low-calorie sweeteners, or both. Regions with the highest consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks are North and Latin America, Australasia and Western Europe. The rest of the world - including the Philippines - seems to be moving towards the pervasiveness of added sugars in the food supply, which started in North America.

Public acceptance of interventions to prevent obesity ( and even concern about a condition affecting over 2 billion people worldwide ) is mixed, although strongest when focused on children.

There’s good evidence that larger portions of food and non-alcoholic drinks increase consumption ( " all you can eat " ; " buy 3 for 2 " ) ... unmatched by similarly strong evidence on how to reduce this effect. Size of portions, packages, and even tableware ( plates, cups, glasses and cutlery ) have increased over the past 50 years. Portion size interventions would be easier in public sector organizations like schools and hospitals, than in commercial environments. In more expensive restaurants, portions actually tend to be smaller ! However, the public in general, private industry, and governments would need to be aligned to improve matters.

Michael Parnham
3rd December 2015, 17:39
Even now, a recent study showed about 3/4 of products in the US food supply contain caloric or low-calorie sweeteners, or both. Regions with the highest consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks are North and Latin America, Australasia and Western Europe. The rest of the world - including the Philippines - seems to be moving towards the pervasiveness of added sugars in the food supply, which started in North America.

Public acceptance of interventions to prevent obesity ( and even concern about a condition affecting over 2 billion people worldwide ) is mixed, although strongest when focused on children.

There’s good evidence that larger portions of food and non-alcoholic drinks increase consumption ( " all you can eat " ; " buy 3 for 2 " ) ... unmatched by similarly strong evidence on how to reduce this effect. Size of portions, packages, and even tableware ( plates, cups, glasses and cutlery ) have increased over the past 50 years. Portion size interventions would be easier in public sector organizations like schools and hospitals, than in commercial environments. In more expensive restaurants, portions actually tend to be smaller ! However, the public in general, private industry, and governments would need to be aligned to improve matters.

Your right Alan, I must admit I've never been tempted to buy to buy offers because I only need one so why fall for these sales tricks? you only end up spending more and wasting more also!:Erm: