PDA

View Full Version : Coalsnaughton man stranded in Philippines with huge hospital bill

joebloggs
26th March 2014, 22:59
I've got the same 'free' travel insurance as this guy :yikes:, a warning to us all :NoNo:

George ‘Dougie’ Keiller fell ill on his flight over to the Philippines and ended up on life-support.

read more here .. http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/news/roundup/articles/2014/03/26/492897-coalsnaughton-man-stranded-in-philippines-with-huge-hospital-bill-/

grahamw48
26th March 2014, 23:04
Yes, a good cautionary tale, especially for us older codgers on here. :olddude:

I didn't used to bother with travel insurance, but I certainly do now...and a proper separate policy. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You can very quickly become bankrupt if sick in the Phils...if not dead.

joebloggs
26th March 2014, 23:11
i think he's lucky its only £4k and not £40k+ :NoNo:

grahamw48
26th March 2014, 23:24
I'm amazed they accepted him for treatment at all, without first having an agreement to pay, by a recognised insurance company. :Erm:

They've probably just drained his credit card, with the rest put on account....to follow.

imagine
27th March 2014, 00:17
and always declare every med condition you have, they are happy to take your cash, but will look for anything you didn't declare to void your claim

grahamw48
27th March 2014, 00:55
Spot-on correct Stewart. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
27th March 2014, 09:53
I've said it before and I'll say it again, check your insurance for repatriation cover! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
27th March 2014, 10:28
Off the shelf cover is no good if you have health issues.

Dedworth
27th March 2014, 11:26

Quite right, Health issues or not you should go through these freebie policies with a fine tooth comb

The guy is a complete fool - it says he was hospitalised twice in the year

highlander01
27th March 2014, 11:57
Total chump. His MP is working on it though - doubtless the taxpayer will end up forking the bill to get this idiot home.

The newspaper account says that his fiancee took him to their hotel and then to the hospital. He says the medical staff and doctors in the UK hospital told him that there was no problem with him flying over to the Philippines. Seems unlikely but maybe they assumed that the combination of a long flight , tropical climate and attentions of a filipina fiancee would ensure that he wouldn't be back for treatment in their ward again.

These "free" insurance policies with this kind of bank account are pretty useless. Certainly no replacement for a proper policy.

grahamw48
27th March 2014, 19:55
If he's a member of FilUK, we'll no doubt be getting a report in due course. :cwm25:

Arthur Little
28th March 2014, 01:35

............................................ :gp: ... that's one of the MAIN reasons I'd never so much as contemplate settling in the Philippines. :nono-1-1: ... health insurance would cost me a fortune. :yikes:

stevewool
28th March 2014, 08:30
there you go, there is nothing as free travel insurance, it will only cover the basics, yes you must shop around for what you are looking for, but when someone offers you it free if you have this bank account and so on, you pay for what you get

Trefor
28th March 2014, 10:23
Awful situation for this guy, but at least he got treatment.

I take out an annual policy for Rose and myself - £100 or so for global cover. Even if you fall ill travelling within the EU they won't repatriate you without cover, they will just treat you locally - sometimes very well, sometimes not so well.

joebloggs
30th March 2014, 18:09
the story has made it to the mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592660/Father-stranded-Philippines-hospital-SIX-WEEKS-RBS-wont-pay-4-000-medical-bill.html

maybe rbs will pay up now :mad:, i've got the same free insurance cover with my bank account to and they never asked me about any pre-existing conditions :NoNo:

gWaPito
30th March 2014, 18:13
It's all in the small print

joebloggs
30th March 2014, 18:17
It's all in the small print

i never signed anything also its not really free your paying for it :mad:

andy222
31st March 2014, 10:25
I've said it before and I'll say it again, check your insurance for repatriation cover! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Never thought of that Michael but I will in future.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
31st March 2014, 18:20
Never thought of that Michael but I will in future. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Andy, Saga insurance do it on every policy, but it is a little more expensive, it won't break the bank though! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
31st March 2014, 18:43
but remember even though you may have insurance the hospital usually want you to pay the bill first then YOU have to claim it back from the insurance company so please be aware. Its better to have a credit card with you with a big credit limit just in case anything should happen to you. They always want a deposit before they will accept you - the dollar talks over here.

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 01:23
but remember even though you may have insurance the hospital usually want you to pay the bill first then YOU have to claim it back from the insurance company so please be aware. Its better to have a credit card with you with a big credit limit just in case anything should happen to you.They always want a deposit before they will accept you - the dollar talks over here.

Every time :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
1st April 2014, 09:54
the story has made it to the mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592660/Father-stranded-Philippines-hospital-SIX-WEEKS-RBS-wont-pay-4-000-medical-bill.html

maybe rbs will pay up now :mad:, i've got the same free insurance cover with my bank account to and they never asked me about any pre-existing conditions :NoNo:

If you read the T&C, this free insurance is nowhere near enough to cover people with existing conditions, or end up with something really serious wrong with them. It is only useful for small things such as lost luggage, and a sprained ankle. This is why experts tell people to ignore free insurance, and purchase full cover.

Companies such as Flexicover cover for existing conditions. Yes it costs more, but you are gambling with your health if you do not cover yourself.

gWaPito
1st April 2014, 10:52
It's also worth checking out what your insurance company's meaning of existing conditions.
For some it's taking meds and or receiving on going treatment which makes sense.

I know of an insurance company who class a past condition of which you are no longer taking treatment and consultation for yet they will still class it as an existing condition.

It is always wise to ask.

irishman12
13th April 2014, 17:20
I got some update thru expats in cdo Right now, the issue/s haven't been resolved yet. They are still in Polymedic Plaza. "Bills have reached beyond 300,000.00 pesos and they have only paid 89,000."
"Urgent concerns as of the moment is the medicine which would cost 500php/daily."

Asked for the list of meds, here they are:
ipatropium + salbutamol (combivent) 500mcg/2.5mg @ Php 47.20 each (4x/day)
amiodarone (cordarone) 200mg tablet @ Php 88.60 each (once a day)
vildagliptin ( galvus) 50mg tablet - 2 tabs per day @ Php30.00
spirolactone ( aldactone) 25 mg tablet 2x a day @ Php 17.50 each
TMZ ( Vastarel MR) 35 mg tablet 2 tabs per day @30.00
2 SPIRIVA RESPIMAT 2.5mcg/ puff. Php 3,360

Doc Alan
13th April 2014, 20:25
Hopefully no member of the Forum would find themselves in this situation. There are common sense posts on THIS thread about travel insurance; and entire health checklist threads covering before- and after- travelling to the Philippines. In the last update ( February ; http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines
( #8 )
), I made these points :-

• Most of the 120,000 or so reported visits by British tourists each year to the Philippines are trouble free.

• However, in the event of falling ill, treatment and repatriation could be expensive without comprehensive insurance. Insurance might also not cover an illness for which recommended precautions to avoid it had not been taken, or if a pre – existing illness was not declared . Airlines give advice on general health requirements / exclusions.

• Good advice is available from pharmacists, GPs and travel health clinics. This Forum Heath Issues section also has threads on a number of serious conditions. Visit your doctor / practice nurse several weeks before travel. Remember also to read the health checklist AFTER travelling ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/42051-Health-checklist-after-travel-to-the-Philippines ).

This patient “ stranded “ in a CDO hospital is claimed to be running up medical bills at a rate of £ 150 / day. The true cost of a hospital bed in the UK – free at the point of use under the NHS - could well be four times this amount.

The clues to his illness lie in the name. CHRONIC ( persistent, long-standing ) OBSTRUCTIVE ( due to narrowed air passages from inflammation ) PULMONARY ( affecting lungs ) DISEASE ( usually combined chronic bronchitis / inflamed large airways, and emphysema / damaged small airways ).

COPD is common ( affecting around 3 million in UK ), and is due to smoking and/or other air pollution. If you have COPD then it MUST be declared ; you should carry any medicines in your hand luggage ; if it’s severe enough to need long term oxygen treatment the airline needs to be informed.

Treatment does not cure COPD. This Scots patient is younger ( 59 ) than the average age at diagnosis ( and was in a UK hospital twice last year for COPD ).

From the list of medications provided in the last post, it seems he is being treated for more than COPD ! The drugs include bronchodilators ( widening the air passages : ipratropium and salbutamol, Spiriva Respimat ) ; a drug for abnormal heart rhythm ( Amiodarone ) ; a drug for angina ( TMZ ) ; an antidiabetic drug ( Vildagliptin ) ; and diuretic ( Spironolactone ). The quoted costs are similar to those in the UK ( IF you had to pay for them ).

Had he revealed his pre-existing medical condition(s) his insurance premium would have been higher, but a fraction of the costs he is now being expected to meet.

dougie
25th April 2014, 06:08
hi guys, i'm George Keiller, i'd like to explain about my insurance policy, its not purchased, its a benefit i have with my bank account. when travelling, i simply go to the bank and ask for a tavel insurance policy, When i did it for this trip, the bank had no policies in stock, i was given a number to call, i called that number and was given an emergency number to call if i had any problems during mt travel, and told i was covered to travel, there was no questionaire and no questions asked, also no terms and conditions given to me, the insurance company is Direct Line Insurance, part of the Royal Bank of Scotland, where my bank account is

dougie
27th April 2014, 06:20
Doc Alan, The only medication i'm on at home, is Levothyroxine, i have 3 inhalers, they told me the left side of my heart was slightly damaged, but no medication was required, i am on no other medication at home, George Keiller

dougie
27th April 2014, 07:15
maybe its in the small print, but if you'd read the original report properly, you'd have seen i was not issued with a policy as there were none in stock, i was given a number to call if i had any problems, no questionaire, no terms and conditions and no questions asked, i'm not an experienced traveller, and trusted the guy when he told me i was covered to go

dougie
27th April 2014, 07:21
its nice to read your smart know it all comments, i'm not an inexperienced traveller and took a bank worker at his word, i may have got things wrong, but it is down to ignorance on my part, unfunny and uncalled for comments

gWaPito
27th April 2014, 10:51
Hi Dougie
I hope it all works out for you. We've all done silly things, me included.

Regards
Mark :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiger31
27th April 2014, 11:29
its nice to read your smart know it all comments, i'm not an inexperienced traveller and took a bank worker at his work, i may have got things wrong, but it is down to ignorance on my part, unfunny and uncalled for comments

If your not an inexperienced traveller how did you get yourself into this mess ? there are plenty of posts on here about the priority of medical funds to have at hand whilst travelling here .and calling us for making smart know it all comments won,t find you many friends on here.The people on here add valuable information for travellers with their experience on their travels.my take on this is ,you thought you were getting a bargain and it has backfired on you .well I hope lessons were learned on your trip and it won,t be repeated.

grahamw48
27th April 2014, 13:34
:ReadIt:
If he's a member of FilUK, we'll no doubt be getting a report in due course. :cwm25:

dougie
27th April 2014, 14:06
sorry about the errors in the above post, i am an inexperienced traveller* constructive criticism is very welcome, but no need for the nasty name calling, and the tax payer will not pay the bill, i will

dougie
27th April 2014, 14:08
Thank you Mark, but a very costly mistake, i better learn quickly, Dougie

dougie
27th April 2014, 14:12
Hi tiger the comments have been corrected, i am inexperienced, and to be called a total chump and an idiot by someone who does'nt know the circumstances was uncalled for, and not very wellcoming hopefully i'll learn from you all. Dougie

tiger31
27th April 2014, 15:09
Hi tiger the comments have been corrected, i am inexperienced, and to be called a total chump and an idiot by someone who does'nt know the circumstances was uncalled for, and not very wellcoming hopefully i'll learn from you all. Dougie

have you paid the bill yet?

gWaPito
27th April 2014, 15:51
............................................ :gp: ... that's one of the MAIN reasons I'd never so much as contemplate settling in the Philippines. :nono-1-1: ... health insurance would cost me a fortune. :yikes:
I bet it would cost most of us on here a fortune. That's for the type of insurance worth the paper it's printed on.

I've just had to review my life cover. ..that isn't cheap either but, needs must.

gWaPito
27th April 2014, 15:59

I agree. I've just read the offending post,
there wasn't any need for that. Always best to keep in mind we are all in glass houses :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
27th April 2014, 16:09
all is well that ends well,

dougie
27th April 2014, 16:13
have you paid the bill yet?

no, the hospital have accepted a deposit with the balance to be paid off, waiting for flights that can supply oxygen

stevewool
27th April 2014, 16:19
so where are you now then dougie, still in hospital, or somewhere else, and have you a final account of the cost that will have to be paid ,

stevewool
27th April 2014, 16:20
I bet it would cost most of us on here a fortune. That's for the type of insurance worth the paper it's printed on.

I've just had to review my life cover. ..that isn't cheap either but, needs must.

life cover, well most need it but its for someone else to enjoy once you have gone

fred
27th April 2014, 16:35
We have just had two nasty little dramas in a R.P hospital in Bohol.. I have to say that the amount of service this spotlessly clean and modern hospital by nurses and doctors can only be commended.
Although the Doctors may have overcharged us a little in local terms,I for one certainly do not feel ripped off...On the contrary..
Very very happy with end result.

stevewool
27th April 2014, 16:52
At last someone who is on the ground,
We all have to pay for this and that and in any good house hold we budget, now if you dont budget thats when the trouble starts,
Glad it all turned out well Fred

gWaPito
27th April 2014, 16:52
life cover, well most need it but its for someone else to enjoy once you have gone
In my case, it's a necessity. ..I've got babies and their mother to provide for.

stevewool
27th April 2014, 16:53
In my case, it's a necessity. ..I've got babies and their mother to provide for.

Yes you are right Mark,

fred
27th April 2014, 18:16
At last someone who is on the ground,
We all have to pay for this and that and in any good house hold we budget, now if you dont budget thats when the trouble starts,
Glad it all turned out well Fred

I`ll be quite honest with you Steve.. Ive had very bad experiences in the UK in regards Doctors and hospitals as well as in Luzon in the past..Horror stories..

My last experience of hospitals in the UK was when I was hit from behind whilst driving a small van on the A1 M by a nutter in a fully loaded Mercedes van that hit me from behind going around 90 MPH whilst I was going around 40 MPH due to traffic..
It caused a 2 hour tail back and I was in bad shape..I was knocked out,spun around and out for about 30 minutes before the old bill and fire services got me out..
My 8 hour visit to the E.R was so bad that I had to make the desicion to check myself out(against the advice of doctors and staff) and I was in a bad way..

This last episode of R.P private health care has put my old perceptions of hospitals in parts of Luzon in a completely different light..
Very proffessionaldoctors in a modern hospital along side excellent nurses with 24 hour care..
I`m very impressed with the way we were served inside HNU hospital here in Tagbilaran city over the last 3 days.
Phil health paid around 1/3rd of the bill..
We are looking at local health insurance and I will post any findings of such once we inquire..
Cheers,
Fred.

Terpe
27th April 2014, 18:42
Fred, sorry to learn that hospital treatments were needed....but glad to learn you had good experiences. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm not good with hospitals generally....avoid going at all costs......I'm pretty sure that'll be my downfall one day :cwm25:

stevewool
27th April 2014, 20:03
i too am not keen on hospitals too, i am ok if i have a set time and they keep to it but there is no chance of that, now on the other hand if i was not the patient, i am the best person to be with, laugh a minute,sort of thing,

stevewool
27th April 2014, 20:05
Phil health paid around 1/3rd of the bill..
We are looking at local health insurance and I will post any findings of such once we inquire..

Thanks Fred, will look forward to your report :smile:

dougie
28th April 2014, 03:38
so where are you now then dougie, still in hospital, or somewhere else, and have you a final account of the cost that will have to be paid ,

i'm still in hospital, almost 11 weeks now, just waiting for the British Embassy to arrange flights home now, the Hospital bill is around 4,500 pounds, and the Embassy will loan me for the flights, not got a price yet, but need flights with oxygen supply

Michael Parnham
28th April 2014, 05:48
Whatever happened Fred, pleased everything is ok now and hopefully back to normal! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
28th April 2014, 23:06
Whatever happened Fred, pleased everything is ok now and hopefully back to normal!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Long story Michael!!
Mrs developed a swollen right leg below the knee..Went to doctor and they checked her BP..150/100!
The doc gave her a BP pill and it lowered..Said the leg was probably staph infection.. Didnt sound right to me as there was no wound. She had to fast for 10 hours before blood test to test for cholesterol etc and thats when the problem started!!
An hour later at home she passed out whilst standing up and of course collapsed.. The kids all thought she was a gonna until I managed to wake her up after about 20 secs through shouting at her directly into her ear!!lol.. Bloody stressful,let me tell you!
Straight to hospital where her BP had dropped to 90/70...
Cut long story short,she had an ECG and various other tests including a CT scan on her leg which the surgeon said indicated a swollen calf due to muscle tear or ligament injury..It pretty much ruled out DVT or bacterial infection as no mass or tumor seen.
3 nights 4 days in hospital on drip and anti antibiotics and swelling now gone down and BP stable again..
As I said..The hospital here was excellent but the only real problem is that Tagbilaran has no MRI scan which gives a far more accurate image for diagnosis..
Any doubts about the image and then its a trip to Cebu..
Whole expenditure was 25K which for me was bloody good value..

raynaputi
28th April 2014, 23:11
Hoping there's nothing more serious for your wife, Fred. Get well soon to her.

gWaPito
29th April 2014, 00:18
DEar me Fred, that was a lot of fuss and worry for a straight forward muscle/ligament injury :NoNo: As others have said, I hope she has a speedy recovery

fred
29th April 2014, 00:54
Rayna..Thanks!
Gwaps.. When it comes to swollen limbs and varying BP there are many things/disorders to eliminate ASAP in order to get the correct treatment.

gWaPito
29th April 2014, 01:05
Rayna..Thanks!
Gwaps.. When it comes to swollen limbs and varying BP there are many things/disorders to eliminate ASAP in order to get the correct treatment.

Yes of course..I forgot about the initial 150/100!! :doh

Michael Parnham
29th April 2014, 05:36
Wow Fred, very worrying time and I really do understand how you would be feeling and I'm pleased to see that everything is now being dealt with and hopefully under control. Please keep us updated on the progress of your good lady Fred and by the way, p25,000 a bargain under the circumstances, I'm sure she will be back to normal soon and all the best to both of you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
29th April 2014, 13:45
Wow Fred, very worrying time and I really do understand how you would be feeling and I'm pleased to see that everything is now being dealt with and hopefully under control. Please keep us updated on the progress of your good lady Fred and by the way, p25,000 a bargain under the circumstances, I'm sure she will be back to normal soon and all the best to both of you! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Micheal for the nice words.. Appreciated..
Just because the swelling has gone ,she wants to dance around and carry on as normal!!
Her leg is sore again and I have explained for the 100th time that she needs to rest the leg for a good month!
Will she listen? Probably not.
Nightmare!!
Women?????
Who would ave em?:cwm23:

dougie
14th May 2014, 06:33
hi Steve,
week 12 now,and i'm still in hospital, the airline has now decided i need an escort to travel with me, the embassy has decided it is too costly and wont pay it, now the hospital have decided the bill has risen to the extent that they want a larger deposit paid, things dont look good right now, i have n idea whats going to happen

Michael Parnham
14th May 2014, 06:56
hi Steve,
week 12 now,and i'm still in hospital, the airline has now decided i need an escort to travel with me, the embassy has decided it is too costly and wont pay it, now the hospital have decided the bill has risen to the extent that they want a larger deposit paid, things dont look good right now, i have n idea whats going to happen

Gosh, what a calamity, hope you get it sorted soon Doug. Good luck fella! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
14th May 2014, 10:58
Dougie.. Are you in a private room in a private hospital or in a ward?

If you are in a ward then its illegal for them to hold you.. Check out the Regulations of Republic Act No. 9439, otherwise known as "An Act Prohibiting the Detention of Patients in Hospitals and Medical Clinics on Grounds of Nonpayment of Hospital Bills or Medical Expenses".

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno9439irr.html#.U3M7-_mSxfc

The exclusion to this law are patients in private rooms it seems..

tiger31
14th May 2014, 17:23
What a nightmare scenario! Have you got no relatives that can help you out moneywise? It seems you are in a catch 22 and your bill will keep getting higher. As far as I know there is a law against the hospital detaining you. They are not allowed to keep you in hospital over an unpaid bill. Someone needs to point this out to them.