PDA

View Full Version : Rasberry Ketoones the new slimming aid?

marksroomspain
16th March 2014, 23:01
Well another product I have heard about, rasberry ketones slimming aid pills.

My wife mentioned them and has been taking them with dramatic results losing 1 kilo per week down from 68 kilo to 62 kilo in 6 weeks.

Mmm I wonder is this just another slimming craze or is there truth behind it, I said to my wife you eat sensible and go to the gym but she swears its also the effects of these so called wonder pills that help with the results.

Anyone have an opinion on this, I would also love to hear Doc Alan's views...:cwm25:

Doc Alan
17th March 2014, 12:10
Raspberry ketone ( RK ) is one of the major compounds of raspberry fruits, already used as a fragrance in cosmetics and flavouring agent in food. More recently it’s been claimed that RK supplements can break down fat and prevent weight gain. This is based on experiments using rats and mice, which do have a genuine chemical explanation. There are, however, NO human studies ( I’ve searched good medical journals ), apart from anecdotes :NoNo:.

RK’s are widely available - not only in UK but also Philippines and elsewhere. They are considered safe in cosmetics and food, but no one knows the short or long term effects on health, especially if taken as supplements. They are also expensive. With such a huge number of brands it may be hard to be sure they are genuine ; with the “ right “ ingredients / amounts ; and even if they are safe, to rule out “ placebo “ effect. Although there are individual “ success “ stories – such as Mark’s wife - with RK’s, my view is to save your money :smile: !

There is no doubt that malnutrition ( obesity AND undernourishment ) is a worldwide problem, costly in healthcare and lost productivity. It’s partly down to individual / “ lifestyle “ choices, but partly also to governments - especially as the increase in this problem across many countries is disproportionately among the poor.

There is no such thing as being fat and healthy :NoNo: ! People die younger if they’re overweight. The risks include cardiovascular disease ( heart attacks and strokes ), diabetes, and some types of cancer ( such as breast and large bowel ).

Most people, if they’re honest, DO know if they’re overweight, even if they don’t trust their scales, body mass index ( BMI ) and waist circumference measurements !

Given that the choice to lose weight may be difficult, because not everyone can afford healthy food ( and supplements ) and gym membership, my opinion is that “ crash diets “ and bursts of exercise are NOT the best way. Of course they may work for individuals, and members may have genuinely lost weight through unusual / “ fad “ diets, with or without exercise.

Unlike giving up smoking ( which many prefer to do completely from a set date ), it’s probably best to introduce changes gradually in order to lose weight :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

For most people, a gradual increase of activity will work, even with the same diet and calorie intake. It doesn’t have to be at the gym – a regular short 20 minute walk, or sports such as swimming and cycling, ideally something you enjoy, will help.

Reducing food intake is the other proven way to lose weight :smile:. Don’t skip breakfast, and don’t assume you can’t have occasional “ treats “. Simple measures like taking semi-skimmed milk, not adding sugar to coffee / tea, eating smaller portions, eating less processed / “ fast “ foods and more fruit and vegetables, and cutting down on alcohol intake, all make a difference.

These suggested changes are for LIFE. The benefits are not just increased life expectancy and reduced risk of serious disease – but feeling and looking better. There’s no point in having plans for the next 5, 10, 20 or more years without including health issues. It’s YOUR health and YOUR choices :smile: !

marksroomspain
17th March 2014, 18:16
Thanks Doc...:xxgrinning--00xx3: