PDA

View Full Version : Duty free

Slip
14th March 2014, 22:43
I have my list of stuff to get in duty free on the way to Philippines.... Cigarettes, booze, perfume etc etc....

But was just thinking, if purchased at Heathrow, can I take them through the security checks at Abu Dhabi airport? I would buy them at Abu Dhabi, but I only have 90 minutes and I can imagine time will be tight as I cant see my flight being on time and even if it is I will be rushing.
Or would I get a chance to buy at Manila airport before I go through to get picked up?

London_Manila
15th March 2014, 03:13
You can buy all that stuff at Manila airport just after immigration before you go to the luggage belt
Buy perfume here online and put it in your checked in suitcase
Manila prices are around the same as middle east prices and much less than Heathrow

fred
15th March 2014, 07:08
Hang on JUST ONE MINUTE!!!!:icon_lol:
You wanna buy duty free smokes and booze to bring into the R.P?....WHY?
You can get 20 Marlborough here for 55 Pesos a pack and local ciggs for about 25 Peso.
A liter of Absolute Vodka for about 700.00 Peso`s and a damned good bottle of Tanduay black rum for 300.00..
Go into any shopping mall here and see for yourself!!

Longweekend
15th March 2014, 10:16
I think you will find the Marlborough are different than the ones that can be purchased elsewhere....

SimonH
15th March 2014, 10:23
I think you will find the Marlborough are different than the ones that can be purchased elsewhere....

You can either get them in a soft pack or for a few peso's more a hard pack (what we would buy here). Nothing wrong with them at all :smile:

grahamw48
15th March 2014, 10:33
True, the cigs in the Phils are of local manufacture (unless specifically 'imported'...which ARE available at a slightly higher price) .

The last thing I'd be bringing IN to the Phils would be cigs and booze though, as Fred has said.

Terpe
15th March 2014, 11:41
Well for ciggies I suppose it all depends if any specific brands are involved.....when I was smoking I did actually get mine at Heathrow simply because the brand I smoked just wasn't available in PH

Maybe the booze is the same :Erm:
Not easy to get in PH if your brand-specific.

If it makes no never mind then OK buy what's available when you get there.

Longweekend
15th March 2014, 11:47
I used to smoke when I lived in the Philippines and soon got used to the 'local Marlboro', with regard to booze, no problem at all....:biggrin::biggrin:

rani
15th March 2014, 12:12
If its going to be a "pasalubong" to her gf relatives then it should be bought in duty free wherever. You know the mental attitude of pinoys.... WE WANT IMPORTED :hubbahubba:

joebloggs
15th March 2014, 12:43
if you've bought some duty free and then are in transit, be careful you don't get it confiscated :NoNo:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2107601

grahamw48
15th March 2014, 14:40
Of course, having given up smoking a couple of days ago...I'm no longer an expert on such things. :smile:

Terpe
15th March 2014, 15:25
if you've bought some duty free and then are in transit, be careful you don't get it confiscated :NoNo:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2107601

I've never had any issues like that, even transiting through HK where ciggies are a big no-no.

Maybe it depends where you bought the duty free......from Heathrow the duty-free shop will package stuff up in special 'tamper-proof' plastic bags. All is then OK for any connecting flights.

If not in those special bags then whatever it is you may have issues.

Probably better to check before paying as some places change their regulations quite often.

joebloggs
15th March 2014, 16:10
I've never had any issues like that, even transiting through HK where ciggies are a big no-no.

Maybe it depends where you bought the duty free......from Heathrow the duty-free shop will package stuff up in special 'tampe-proof' plastic bags. All is then OK for any connecting flights.
If not in those special bags then whatever it is you may have issues.

Probably better to check before paying as some places change their regulations quite often.

coming back from the phils, we stopped at changi, and my stepson had asked his mom to buy some cigs so he could sell them in the UK :NoNo: the lady at the shop asked where we were going, we got talking and said if we had bought the cigs duty free in the phils and were carrying them (i cant remember now if it was the airport or Singapore airlines) wouldn't allow us to take them on the plane :mad:

grahamw48
15th March 2014, 21:01
I've been buying my 'duty free' cigs in the normal supermarket in the Phils, then sticking them in my bag/s and bringing them back to UK via various countries, for the past 24 years....never a problem.

So-called 'duty free's in NAIA are about twice the price of what can be bought in most local supermarkets in Manila or the province.

chino
15th March 2014, 21:41
I don't know about you, but i find that Manila duty free is expensive and so is the middle east for perfume... I get all my aftershave / perfume in the UK (MAN) as it's cheaper than the middle east... though cigs are cheaper in the middle east...

I do the same as most and buy cigs in the PI to bring back (don't smoke)

London_Manila
17th March 2014, 00:46
Hang on JUST ONE MINUTE!!!!:icon_lol:
You wanna buy duty free smokes and booze to bring into the R.P?....WHY?
You can get 20 Marlborough here for 55 Pesos a pack and local ciggs for about 25 Peso.
A liter of Absolute Vodka for about 700.00 Peso`s and a damned good bottle of Tanduay black rum for 300.00..
Go into any shopping mall here and see for yourself!!

Depends on what brand you smoke Fred
I could never find any Davidoff lights on sale in the Philippines except at Manila airport
All Cigarettes for sale in the Phills are very strong including Marlboro lights and Marlboro blue
Lucky Strike are not so bad and they are made outside the Phills
$24 for 200 decent cigs is not that bad :smile:

Slip
17th March 2014, 10:46
If its going to be a "pasalubong" to her gf relatives then it should be bought in duty free wherever. You know the mental attitude of pinoys.... WE WANT IMPORTED :hubbahubba:

They are for her family, apparently they all smoke, we don't. So I asked if I should get anything from duty free for them and she said if I want to buy them cigarettes and her Mum some alcohol!

Harlene wants some CK one perfume, but I think I may buy that here in the high street. And if I can get the cigarettes after landing in Manila they can have what ever brand they get given!

SimonH
17th March 2014, 13:09
They are for her family, apparently they all smoke, we don't. So I asked if I should get anything from duty free for them and she said if I want to buy them cigarettes and her Mum some alcohol!

Harlene wants some CK one perfume, but I think I may buy that here in the high street. And if I can get the cigarettes after landing in Manila they can have what ever brand they get given!

I usually buy from here, cheaper than the high street :wink:

http://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/