PDA

View Full Version : Powering up your pc in 15 seconds

andypaul
14th October 2007, 19:41
Read somewhere this week that a major motherboard manufactuer is launching a motherboard which has flash memory (the type used in things in sd cards etc)
You can launch it so boots up in a version of Linux os with firefox and skype preloaded, or use as a normal pc (taking the normal time to boot off of hard disk)

At the moment the motherboard is not cheap, but they are talking about laptop versions and cheaper version early next year.

This should help reduce costs if all the pc is to be used for is browsing the web or communcation. No HDD, or windows operating system. These two are a major cost and may make it cheaper to run a simple pc in the future.

At the moment nothing to get excited about but with the cost of broadband getting cheaper in the uk and phill. It may soon be possible to have a lightweight, compact, low power cheap web 2.0 computer in either location.

Flash memory based laptops already exist, but trust me they cost a fortune but the difference is amazing:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
14th October 2007, 21:02
Or buy a Quad Core :)

Worth the money if you're doing a lot of stuff :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
28th October 2007, 20:46
Heres a Solid state laptop which will cost under 250 pounds in either white or black. That should be avaiable in the next few months or earlier if lucky.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4044

very intresting and could be useful for those who need a cheap laptop here or in Phill.

KeithD
28th October 2007, 21:05
No graphics though at that price :)

andypaul
28th October 2007, 21:18
No graphics though at that price :)

Well looking at it as a basic laptop for the wifes bro and sister to have one each it has open office, uses skype and they can play there ipods and watch youtube on.

Going to trial one out we want pc's which although they can do basic school/uni work on and use for e communcaion (email, messagner and voip) on but can't play ragnook on and games on so should suffice. Also the cost and the lack of hdd which seem to have a short life in phill from what i have seen is a plus. We also don't like the idea of bulky pcs for security reasons ie laptops can be hidden and locked away and if flooding or typhoons kept safe far easier. The laptop will accept sdhc sd cards which at present i think can have up to 8gbs will be enough what we intend them to be used :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
29th October 2007, 01:02
hmmmmmmmm i thought you could only write to flash memory so many times !??? , maybe ok as rom, but not as ram .. you can buy flash to ide adaptors already for around a £10..

andypaul
29th October 2007, 08:11
hmmmmmmmm i thought you could only write to flash memory so many times !??? , maybe ok as rom, but not as ram .. you can buy flash to ide adaptors already for around a £10..

Its What newer mobile phones and mp3 players including the new apple and sony jobbies use both as sd ram and internal. HDDs being mechnical always been the achillies heel of most pcs and biggest cause of ipod faillure. Flash memory does have a limted life like hdds but seem to be improving in performance. I always keep our pcs backed up regularly and would get that organised with an external hdd for Bro and Sis in Phill.
The devices contain flash rom and normal memory hoping to get the 1 gig memory versions which should keep the speed up but from what i read for the uses with have them aimed at it won't really matter.

Nokia and many other big companies see the small basic browsing device as the big way forward, many people now browse this website in its full version not archive using mobiles and have no problems so these will stroll it. Russia have ordered a million of these for there schools and in the UK being sold by RM the big educational wholesaler so can't be to bad.

Haved used for a while very expensive high end version from another company though my work for a while and totally impressed and won over.

joebloggs
29th October 2007, 09:32
my bro uses flash to ide adaptors to load linux in mail servers boxes he installs for customers. i've seen programs that allow you to use your usb stick device as a form of cache, storing maybe your page file, windows system and programs you use alot, with 4gb ones costing like £20 now, but you can only write to them something like less than 1m times if that?.

but good the pricess have fallen so much :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
29th October 2007, 09:37
You can get 500GB external drives for £50 now.

andypaul
3rd November 2007, 17:33
You can get 500GB external drives for £50 now.

Exactly a external hdd with a dead cheap pc which is supported and more likely to be sold in Phill than even the UK you have a cheap very portable laptop. Which is simple to use they claim for basic pc functions ie surfing, emails and messagning which is what most people on here in a ldr use the most.

Microsoft are working at making a version of XP avaiable for this machine in the early 08 months. I think they see that this is a possible winner in various markets. It could also make it possible for couples to supply a pc to the loved one in phill and be left in phill with the family once they go.