PDA

View Full Version : Fifa allows wearing of head covers for religious reasons

jake
2nd March 2014, 05:02
Fifa has officially authorised the wearing of head covers for religious reasons during football matches.

The ruling was made following a meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in Zurich and will apply to male and female players.

The wearing of head covers had been banned, but a two-year trial started in 2012 has proved successful.

"It was decided that female players can cover their heads to play," said Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke.
Football's game-changers

The International Football Association Board was founded in 1886 "to discuss and decide upon proposed alterations to the laws of football"
The Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and Fifa are the only members

"Male players can play with head covers too. It will be a basic head cover and the colour should be the same as the team jersey."

In 2011, Iran's women's team withdrew from an Olympic qualification match against Jordan in protest at not being allowed to wear headscarves.

There have also been calls from the Sikh community in Canada for the ban on the wearing of turbans to be lifted.

World football's governing body, Fifa, had claimed the wearing of head covers while playing competitive football posed too great a risk of injury to the head or neck.

However, following a request from the Asian Football Confederation, the IFAB allowed for their safety to be tested during the trial.

At the annual general meeting at Fifa's headquarters, IFAB members also voted to introduce a new law that will punish players who display messages on T-shirts underneath their club's kit.

The rule change, which will come into effect from 1 June, amends Law 4 of the game, which relates to players' equipment.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26398297

jake
2nd March 2014, 05:07
Part of the new Chelsea kit 2014/15 :biggrin:

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/megansco/article-0-16E8BEE0000005DC-20_634x948_zps39607661.jpg

Dedworth
2nd March 2014, 09:21
:icon_lol:

grahamw48
2nd March 2014, 09:44
Ah the stone age is still with us...and minorities are firmly in charge. :doh

les_taxi
2nd March 2014, 11:01
I suppose the term "Cushioned header" takes on more relevance now :yikes:

More crap from FIFA, for once I would like to be at an England match singing to the Iranian footie fans, there would be some great songs I bet :laugher:

Iani
2nd March 2014, 11:02
Like to see someone in a turban take a header

grahamw48
2nd March 2014, 11:17
New rule for 'turban tugging' ? :Erm:

les_taxi
2nd March 2014, 11:28
What if in a tussle for the ball Attacker/defender the piece of garbage comes off and lands on Keepers face and he cant see as the shot whizzes past him :icon_lol:

I know English fans can be a bit naughty, but I would love to hear the chants they would make up :biggrin:

grahamw48
2nd March 2014, 11:39
'Blindside' will be a problem for Burkha-wearers. :Erm: