PDA

View Full Version : How much!

Slip
25th February 2014, 17:32
That was what I said when Harlene told me the price of the food for the wedding reception.

I had been doing my sums all morning and had done a breakdown of what I still have to pay for for the wedding and what has already been paid.
Showed Harlene and asked if I had forgotten anything? she said I hadn't put down the cost of the food for the reception.... I asked how much and she said 120,000 peso :Erm: I stuck it in the currency converter and almost fell of my chair when it came in at around £1600 :spit: (couldn't find one falling off a chair!)
She reckons we will have 300 guests from the village coming.... that need feeding! Now her family is well known in her village so naturally everyone wants to come! I just hope they enjoy the food. It seems very high cost to me and Harlene doesn't know for sure the actual cost (I have asked her to find out) also she said that people in her village are preparing and cooking the food so obviously it is them I am paying....

Now I have the money (had to do a bit of shuffling funds about!) but it seems bloody high for a bit of food.... But then I suppose if you were feeding 300 people here at a conservative price of say £10 a head that would be double the price I suppose. Although here I wouldn't have 300 people I don't know coming to my wedding! But obviously they do things different in Philippines :icon_lol:

Terpe
25th February 2014, 17:49
If you have the budget it's a personal choice......
be happy and keep that wallet locked now :biggrin:

300 people is toooooooooooooo many. I'm sure simple food etc is all that's needed.

melovesengland
25th February 2014, 17:59
300 guests is way too much. Only few will remember your wedding day in years time. Don't forget that there will be more expense after the wedding so bear that in mind.

It is nice to have a lovely wedding and i am planning to get wed in the phils as well but don't get too mad on spending money for things that's not really necessary.

At the end of the day, it is both your special day not the neighbours. :)

grahamw48
25th February 2014, 18:00
First words any Yorkshire baby utters. :biggrin:

Also why I had a civil wedding with 2 witnesses.

Got better things to spend my money on. :smile:

bigmac
25th February 2014, 18:17
First words any Yorkshire baby utters. :biggrin:

Also why I had a civil wedding with 2 witnesses.

Got better things to spend my money on. :smile:

too bloody right

captaincay
25th February 2014, 19:31
300 :yikes: might be a traditional way in the provinces.

stevewool
25th February 2014, 20:00
a joint adventure between two people , start as you mean to go on, unless you have a open wallet to all that comes you way, good luck

bigmac
25th February 2014, 20:50
tell the free loaders to bring their own sandwiches

lilbasuk
25th February 2014, 21:46
good luck with your wedding mate and all the best :xxgrinning--00xx3: Im planning to get married this year if all goes well. Although i dont think il be having 300 guests........ just a few family members and friends :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
25th February 2014, 22:07
I don't mind if she wants 300 people there, just I am not having anybody that I know there as we are not a well off family and I only have what I have because I can budget well. So none of my family or friends will be there.

She hasn't been living in her village for over 8 years and is only returning home next month in perpetration for the wedding and to spend a couple of months with her Mum before I turn up and marry her.

I did tell her from the outset I have little in way of money but I will give her the wedding she has dreamed off. So if this is what she wants this is what she gets.... But I have like I say always made clear that I am not rich by any standard. She did say if I couldn't afford a church wedding we would have a civil one, but I know she wants a church one so that's what she will get.

She is also spending a lot of money too, so can't complain. She has the venue to hire and decorate, wedding outfits for her and bridesmaids... and all those little bits that us men don't notice :icon_lol:

And actually although it may seem I am complaining, really I am just in shock at how many people are coming and that I have to feed them all :Help1:

All that really matters though is I am marrying the woman I love and have waited all my life to find.... It's not putting me in debt and I don't plan on doing it again, so I will grin and bear it and if I see anyone leaving food on their plates I will personally force it down their throats :biggrin:

lilbasuk
25th February 2014, 22:13
All that really matters though is I am marrying the woman I love and have waited all my life to find.... It's not putting me in debt and I don't plan on doing it again, so I will grin and bear it and if I see anyone leaving food on their plates I will personally force it down their throats :biggrin:

Haha u cant say any fairer than that mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
25th February 2014, 22:21
i did not think you was complaining at all, we all are shocked at some things and its good to get it of your chest by telling others who have been through it too, just make sure you get a good photographer for the special day, thats where all the memories will be for the coming years

grahamw48
25th February 2014, 22:40
Fair comment Slip. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
25th February 2014, 22:40
Im sure most of the village couldn't give two hoots to you getting married to put it bluntly most of the village will be there for the free feed up & whatever else is on offer free of charge don't mean to offend

grahamw48
25th February 2014, 22:46
I'd just charge non-rellies an entry fee.

That should quieten things down a bit. :icon_lol:

Slip
25th February 2014, 22:54
Im sure most of the village couldn't give two hoots to you getting married to put it bluntly most of the village will be there for the free feed up & whatever else is on offer free of charge don't mean to offend

No offence taken.... Now if only that thought had already crossed my mind :biggrin:

Slip
25th February 2014, 22:55
i did not think you was complaining at all, we all are shocked at some things and its good to get it of your chest by telling others who have been through it too, just make sure you get a good photographer for the special day, thats where all the memories will be for the coming years

That is Harlenes department and expenditure. She has got her Mum currently doing the leg work to find a decent one.

Arthur Little
25th February 2014, 23:04
... her family is well known in her village so naturally everyone wants to come!

Hmm ... :yeahthat:'s undoubtedly the BIGGEST problem with Weddings in the Philippines ...:anerikke: ... everyone and their grannies seem to turn up :icon_rolleyes: - whether invited or not - so the whole affair can easily end up like "the feeding of the five thousand"!

bigmarco
25th February 2014, 23:42
Sorry Slip but I think you handled this one wrong. Should have agreed a budget at the outset and stuck to it. 300 guests and £1600 on food is ridiculous IMO. :NoNo:

Don't forget you'll have the added expense of a visa once you're married.

You'd be well advised to heed Stevewools post 7

gWaPito
26th February 2014, 00:43
You're makin a rod for your own back Slip. You've set the trend :doh The boys here are on the button :wink:

A word of advice..I'd make sure the tables and chairs are chained together..Here's another advisory, use paper plates and cups :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

vernier caliper
26th February 2014, 01:11
I asked how much and she said 120,000 peso :Erm: I stuck it in the currency converter and almost fell of my chair when it came in at around £1600. She reckons we will have 300 guests from the village coming.... that need feeding!
Hi Slip.

What's the province of Harlene if you don't mind? The price of catering depends on the location and the choices of food. My cousin in Batangas City recently got married and they paid P280 per plate, total P30 800 for 110 guest. Included on the plate were afritada, chicken roll, fish fillet, chopsuey and rice. Desserts are leche plan, buco pandan and fresh fruit salad. Soft drinks and pack juices for the kids are the refreshments. Fee for the venue is already included on that price + the sound systems. On average, P300-350 per plate in my area.

Btw, they only invited 70 family members and 110 came so they had 40 extras! Basically, it's not the same in the UK, no invites no entry so be careful about that especially if your budget is tight. You have no choice but to pay the extra!

I suggest you do a house catering, meaning the reception is in her house - in their garden maybe like the traditional wedding celebrations. You will definitely save a lot by doing this. Buy pigs, invite the relatives to cook (that is free of charge and its normal in the province) and feed the 300 guests if not the whole village.

Otherwise, do your research together with Harlene about the available options on catering services. If you could find a venue who is also doing catering (let say for a price of P400 per plate/person as maximum) and you would limit the guest to close family members (maximum 100) then it's a problem solved.

I agree with everyone here, you MUST to put a limit on your expenses. I know you want to give her dream wedding but it's not just about her - it's about YOU and HER. Remember, NO is an option, NO is a good answer and NO is a big YES if you'll achieve your target. Oki doki?

Congratulations and good luck on your wedding :smile:

Slip
26th February 2014, 01:44
Hi Slip.

What's the province of Harlene if you don't mind?

She is from Isabela province.

Currently having a chat about the 300 on facebook

From what I understand the locals will be doing the catering and we have a few pigs which I am buying which I think are around the £100 mark (does that sound right? might have got that wrong)

vernier caliper
26th February 2014, 02:21
From what I understand the locals will be doing the catering and we have a few pigs which I am buying which I think are around the £100 mark (does that sound right? might have got that wrong)
Isabela is the top 10 richest province in the Philippines and agriculture is their way of living. Having said that, I'm not expecting commodities or cost of living as high as Makati, Manila or city prices. Anyway, how many are few? In today's market the price of pig is P115 per kg for the first 100kg. In excess of 100kg the price is less (P105).

Meaning if you're buying 1 pig of 90kg the total price is P10,350 or £141. A 102kg pig is worth (100kg x P115) + (2kg x P105) = P11,710. The £100 worth pig is good for roasting and we called it lechon.