PDA

View Full Version : Aye

Arthur Little
25th February 2014, 16:53
"Aye" ... according to most English Dictionary definitions is an old~fashioned affirmative word meaning 'YES'.

Although increasingly used by folk everywhere, it is believed to owe its origins to the Scots :Kilt: - in spite of what those from the likes of Tyneside & Yorkshire might tell you - and so, today I attempted to enumerate the number of times I'd heard it repeated in the course of conversation during the short, 2-mile bus drive from Perth City Centre to the stop nearest our house.

Alas, I failed miserably :bigcry: and lost count ...

... aye!

lilbasuk
25th February 2014, 22:50
Och aye the noo! ....................I got a few Broons annuals lying aboot the hoose! :biggrin:

Arthur Little
25th February 2014, 23:33
och aye the noo! ....................I got a few broons annuals lying aboot the hoose! :biggrin:

Aye? That's braw, min ... an' ane or twa oan 'Oor Wullie' :icon_lol: tae, nae doot ... aye!

RickyR
26th February 2014, 05:05
Well, you would have good reason to say 'aye' coming from one of the most beautiful towns in Scotland I've ever had the good fortune to visit.

Arthur Little
26th February 2014, 11:25
Well, you would have good reason to say 'aye' coming from one of the most beautiful towns in Scotland I've ever had the good fortune to visit.

Thankyou, Ricky ... :iagree: ... aye!

Michael Parnham
26th February 2014, 12:13

I'll second that! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
26th February 2014, 13:04

I'll second that! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:yeahthat:'s how it earned its nickname, "The Fair City", chaps ... aye.

Doc Alan
27th February 2014, 09:48
Aye, there’s a whole vocabulary of words the Scots use, some Gaelic :smile: ! Here’s a few …

• Auld = old
• Bairn = baby
• Ben = mountain
• Ceilidh = social gathering
• Clan = extended family
• Corbett = mountain between 2,500 ft – 3,000 ft
• Croft = Highland plot of land with house
• Dram = small measure ( of whisky ), 1/16 ounce
• Eilean = island
• Firth = wide sea inlet / estuary
• Glen = deep mountain valley
• Hogmanay = New Year’s Eve
• ISLTS = International Scottish Language Test for immigrants ( if Scotland becomes independent ) :NoNo:
• Ken = understand ( as in “ If ye didnae ken, ye ken noo “ = If you didn’t know before, you know now )
• Kilt = tartan “ skirt “ worn by men and women :Kilt:
• Kirk = church
• Laird = aristocratic landowner
• Loch = lake
• Mac / Mc = son ( or daughter ) of
• Munro = mountain over 3,000 ft
• Sassenach = used by Scots to describe English
• Salmond and Sturgeon = slippery fish, not trusted by many :omg:
• Uisge = water
• Uisge beatha = water of life ( whisky )