PDA

View Full Version : Interesting development for Phils long-stayers ?

grahamw48
19th February 2014, 17:58
Foreigners may now stay up to 36 months ? :smile:
'Immigration Commissioner Siegfred Mison said Secretary Leila de Lima has signed a directive allowing 24 months for visa-required and 36 months for non-visa required nationals.
The extension will be counted from the date of applicant’s latest recorded arrival, according to the memorandum.
However, foreigners who are in the derogatory list are still authorized to extend their stay as temporary visitors provided that they are not considered overstaying.
Last year, the BI had announced that it was extending the visa-free privileges of foreign visitors to spur tourist arrivals which the government has targeted at 10 million visitors by 2016.'

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/02/17/foreigners-may-stay-longer-now/

Arthur Little
19th February 2014, 19:35
:confused: ... will this new development negate - at least, in part - the need for the 'Balikbayan?

grahamw48
19th February 2014, 19:58
You don't need a visa of any kind until your Balikbayan period has expired...as long as you don't leave the country, after which you effectively become a tourist, so the above new rules (and associated costs) would then presumably apply. :smile:

Terpe
19th February 2014, 20:10
No Arthur....as far as I understand it there's no change to the Balikbayan entry privilege.
That visa-free benefit still applies.

This is a new scheme called "Long-Stay Visitor Visa Extension (LSVVE)"
Under this LSVVE, us foreigners can get longer visa extensions of 6 months each time now instead of the previous maximum 2 months extension each time.
It seems to suggest that the maximum stay given to non-visa nationals is 36 months, and visa-required nationals 24 months.
Visa cost is P11,500 for non-visa required nationals and P13,900.00 for visa-required nationals.

We may need to do some digging to undestand the nitty gritty.
Maybe those already there can help......I recall Tiger (Brian) recently did this one.

Brian ?????

grahamw48
19th February 2014, 20:17
Is the p13,900 for each 6 months extension Peter ?

fred
20th February 2014, 00:22

Pretty sure it is Graham.. Can't get 'em here yet I heard..Only in Manila.

My question is, what is a non-visa national?

jake
20th February 2014, 06:18
Honorable Secretary of Justice (SOJ) Leila M. de Lima approved Immigration Memorandum Circular No. SBM 2013-003 on 23 December 2013 which was recommended by Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Siegfred B. Mison. Said issuance provides for the policies and guidelines on the extension and updating of temporary visitor’s visa (TVV).

Allowable Extensions

Foreigners admitted under Section 9 (a) of the Philippine Immigration Act (PIA) of 1940, as amended, or Executive Order No. 408, as amended, may extend their authorized stay every two (2) months for a total stay of not more than:
a) Twenty-four (24) months for visa-required nationals; and
b) Thirty-six (36) months for non-visa required nationals.

The said periods shall be counted from the date of applicant’s latest recorded arrival.

Foreigners with Derogatory Records

Foreigners included in the Bureau’s derogatory list shall be allowed to extend/ update their authorized stay as temporary visitors; Provided that, their inclusion in the derogatory list is not on the ground of having overstayed in the country.

Restrictions on Extension/Updating
The following applications for extension/ updating, accompanied by a sworn written explanation stating valid grounds and/or justifications with supporting documents, shall require the approval of the Commissioner:
a) Extensions of stay beyond the maximum allowable stay prescribed in Section 2 hereof; and
b) Foreigners who have overstayed for more than six (6) months but not exceeding twelve (12) months regardless if their stay is within the maximum allowable period.

Acquisition of Appropriate Visa/Permit

Foreigners may be granted an extension beyond the maximum allowable period provided that they shall secure appropriate visas/ permits during such extension and have not overstayed in any given period.

Overstaying Foreigners

Foreigners who have overstayed for twelve (12) months or less but have been in the country beyond the maximum allowable period already may be permitted to update their stay with order to leave the country within fifteen (15) calendar days therefrom and their names may be included in the Bureau’s blacklist upon the discretion of the Commissioner; Provided that, the Commissioner, in the exercise of sound judgment, may allow such foreigners to update and extend their stay taking into consideration their Filipino lineage, medical condition, minority and other analogous circumstances.

Foreigners who have overstayed for more than twelve (12) months regardless if their stay is within the maximum allowable period or those found to be overstaying by virtue to a complaint or Mission Order regardless of the period shall be referred for deportation.

Payment

In addition to the extension/ updating fees and other charges, the concerned foreigners shall be required to pay all immigration arrears imposed by Republic Act No. 562, as amended.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Helpful for those staying here on tourist visa. Saves leaving the country every 16 months.

jake
20th February 2014, 06:55

The new 6 month extensions have been available since around last July. I did post about it somewhere on the forum :Erm: A friend started using the new system last August. It is only available in Manila.
The fees are the same as extending 3 times over 6 months. The advantage is it saves you 2 trips to immigration during that period. I just phoned him and asked how much it cost and his reply was 'he is on the horse' (red horse!) and couldn't be :action-smiley-081: to look at all the paperwork :cwm25: He reckons it was 11,000 something. Which must be 11,500.

jake
20th February 2014, 07:08
My question is, what is a non-visa national?

A foreign national who can enter the Philippines and get a visa on arrival. Not sure which countries need a visa :Erm:

grahamw48
20th February 2014, 11:50
Thanks Jake.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think a 'non-visa' national is probably someone from another 'ASEAN' member country ? :Erm:

Terpe
20th February 2014, 13:23
Just for completeness:-

Here's the BI webpage for LSVVE with cost structure:-

LONG-STAY VISITOR VISA EXTENSION (LSVVE) (http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/long-stay-visitor-visa-extension-lsvve)

Here's the BI webpage for 'standard' beyond 59 days extension cost structure:-

EXTENSION OF AUTHORIZED STAY BEYOND 59 DAYS (http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days)

jake
20th February 2014, 14:06
Just for completeness:-

Here's the BI webpage for LSVVE with cost structure:-

LONG-STAY VISITOR VISA EXTENSION (LSVVE) (http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/long-stay-visitor-visa-extension-lsvve)

Here's the BI webpage for 'standard' beyond 59 days extension cost structure:-

EXTENSION OF AUTHORIZED STAY BEYOND 59 DAYS (http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days)

Much clearer than mine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
20th February 2014, 14:09
Thanks Jake.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think a 'non-visa' national is probably someone from another 'ASEAN' member country ? :Erm:

Here is the list of visa- required nationals. I think Dedworth would agree with most of them :icon_lol:

Afghanistan, Albania Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijian, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Bosnia-Herzegovina, China, Croatia, Cuba, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, East Timor, Egypt, Georgia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgystan, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Moldova, Nauru, Nigeria, Palestine, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Yemen, Yugoslavia